Apple expected to ditch aluminum, release glass-backed iPhone with OLED display in 2017

Comments

• Reply 21 of 120
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    palegolas said:
    Not too fond of he iPhone 4-5 glass back. But turning an iPhone 6 around to make the front act as a back feels pretty nice. The back glass doesn't have to have the same optical specs as the front, so it could probably be more robust. E-ink under that back glass would be nice.
    Not sure about the 5, but my 5s has an aluminum back with glass bezels at top and bottom.
    cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 120
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Remember, Liquid Metal is an "amorphous metallic glass". So technically, the new phone could be made of glass. Just not the type traditionally thought of. 

---

Imagine my disappointment as I read through the comments thinking, 'nobody is mentioning liquid metal.  I'll get to introduce that to the conversation.'  And then, WHAM!  Shot down by your comment.  I gotta get up
    earlier.

To the other poster who mentioned the scratchability of the liquid metal SIM ejector tool, there is not merely one composition of liquid metal.  There are likely variants that are less scratchable.  

cornchipnetmagejustadcomics
  • Reply 23 of 120
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Joash said:
    Curved glass and AMOLED screen? Sounds an awful lot like the Galaxy S6 and S7. #justsaying
    I don't think so. That knockoff has ZERO originality.

sammy should go back to making flip phones. 
    mejsricredgeminipatallest skil
  • Reply 24 of 120
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Other than Apple, who knows the iphone 7 glass back could be lot more durable than iphone 4/4s. Since iphone 4, few years years span is a long time in tech industry to improve on significantly.
    edited April 2016 redgeminipa
  • Reply 25 of 120
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I liked aspects of my old iPhone 4. The glass back was really easy to replace and seemed to crack before the screen and absorb most of the force of impact. I'd rather spend $10 replacing the back of the iPhone then have a screen shatter. If a new glass iPhone has similar properties I think I would prefer it. My iPhone 5 seemed to be the most damage prone. I had to replace my iPhone 5 screen several times. My iPhone 6 is holding up pretty well. Just a tiny crack in the corner of the screen from a drop.
  • Reply 26 of 120
    I agree with others, if Apple can produce a glass body with a 6-style shape, it will be pretty cool.  The iPhone 4(s) was probably the best design, in part because it was different than everything else out at the time, it felt good to hold and I know I never had issues with broken screen or back (although once passed down to my kids, they did end up break one or the other).  There has to be a way to provide more fracture resistance to glass and forming it into a case should add to it's strength (as opposed to just a plain sheet).  Ceramic would also be a good alternative to the aluminum they've been using lately, which would also allow for different colors and sheen levels.
    baconstangcornchipredgeminipa
  • Reply 27 of 120
    I remember the glass back on my 4S. It shattered & I had to get the back glass replaced at the Apple store.
    ireland
  • Reply 28 of 120
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    The primary reason I keep my 6s Plus in a case is because of the aluminum back that's so easily scratched.

Give me glass front and back with 6'ish curved Liquid Metal sides and Apple can, once agin, have my money.

Sneak a few LEDs (or even a small LCD) onto that back for notifications, increase the battery life, and use that patent for the internal zoom with multiple sensors, and they can have the rest of my money too...
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 29 of 120
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    AMOLED is a gimmick.  The color reproduction is not faithful.  It is only good for video.  But black is not black.  White is not white. 
  • Reply 30 of 120
    jaffajaffa Posts: 15member
    "a glass iPhone will prove just as durable as the aluminum models" not very durable then
  • Reply 31 of 120
    tzeshan said:
    AMOLED is a gimmick.  The color reproduction is not faithful.  It is only good for video.  But black is not black.  White is not white. 
    AMOLED has been, for quite a few years, been able to be calibrated just as well as LCD. AMOLED has matured A LOT. Look at what Samsung can do with AMOLED and then tell me Apple can not do better?

cnocbuiirelandksecsingularitycornchipnetmagejustadcomics
  • Reply 32 of 120
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    It's funny Sony made their name making curved screens flat.
    Samsung are trying to make a name making flat screens curved but what's the point.

Unless the screen is going to curve to show a couple of lines of legible text on the side of the phone it's just gimmick with one "Glaring" problem.

Still hoping the 7 is more like the 5 maybe with pencil round instead of chamfer edges. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 33 of 120
  • Reply 34 of 120
    So I'm hearing the "7S" will have curved glass, AMOLED screen, and a glass back? Too much like what Samsung has out now. Can you image the sh*t talking if Apple uses the same basic design in a year as Sandung is using now?

On an aside, what exactly is the purpose of a curved screen? Both Samsung and LG have done it, it two different ways, and I don't see any benefit with either. Can someone clue me in?
    ireland
  • Reply 35 of 120
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    staticx57 said:
    tzeshan said:
    AMOLED has been, for quite a few years, been able to be calibrated just as well as LCD. AMOLED has matured A LOT. Look at what Samsung can do with AMOLED and then tell me Apple can not do better?

I am not convinced these tables are correct.  When I visit the stores, Galaxy S7 screen is in demo mode.  They don't allow me to compare it to iPhone.  Apple competitors are like this.  Marketing says the phone beats iPhone.  But they seldom let buyers to play with it.  They let reviewers play.  But the reviewers are paid.  
    matrix077
  • Reply 36 of 120
    One more year and a half to go! Will be on the 2016 model in September.
  • Reply 37 of 120
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    tzeshan said:

I am not convinced these tables are correct.  When I visit the stores, Galaxy S7 screen is in demo mode.  They don't allow me to compare it to iPhone.  Apple competitors are like this.  Marketing says the phone beats iPhone.  But they seldom let buyers to play with it.  They let reviewers play.  But the reviewers are paid.  
    They look like Anandtech to me: 1. They wouldn't just accept marketing. 2. They self-test over there are wouldn't accept money.

I'd like to see similar from Displaymate, but AMOLED is looking to have the edge here. The black-levels alone on LCD are terrible.

This is interesting 6s and s6:

Similarly in the GMB ColorChecker, the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus both pass with flying colors. If you’re using an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus for any remotely color-critical work like viewing and/or editing photos and videos, it’s a pretty fair bet that you’ll be able to rely on these phones to provide an accurate color reproduction in pretty much any condition. Samsung does provide better contrast and the possibility of extra color saturation with their Galaxy S6 and Note 5, but this comes at the cost of potential for burn-in, increased power consumption in certain scenarios, and increased distortion with changes in viewing angles. I think this means that it basically comes out to a wash, but depending upon personal taste one may prove to be better than another.

edited April 2016
  • Reply 38 of 120
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    He knows nothing about Apple as his vague statements show: "glass back to stand out from the competition" and alike. That's not Apple as we know it. He rather describes a state-sponsored Korean multimedia telephone maker's debate. Apple is a computing giant who has grown to this peak thanks to... you name it, without any state sponsorship, ever... It has no concerns like standing out of the crowd.

A switch as strategic as oled makes sense only if Apple converts all its displays, including iMacs, Thunderbolt displays, MacBooks, iPods and iPads from LCD to oled... It is NOT a multimedia telephone maker. It sells a computing ecosystem, not a few models of multimedia telephones. You must be Kuo to believe that Apple will introduce a mess of incompatible, inconsistent display technologies into its established and mature ecosystem and it will leave LCD (to join the crowd while trying to stand out from the crowd, by the way)...
  • Reply 39 of 120
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    ireland said:
    tzeshan said:

I'd like to see similar from Displaymate, but AMOLED is looking to have the edge here. The black-levels alone on LCD are terrible.

The color gamut of a display may take several forums like this so let me just specify a single thing: the black levels in a movie is a defect rather than a feature. You can compress a MP4 movie several times again and again until it gets smaller and smaller. If will play smoothly without any frame dropping. But the tonal balance will be screwed up as a result of excessive compression. All the grays will be washed out, or painted out to black. You'll get blackest blacks on people's suits, hairs, faces and all the drama achieved by photographic art management will be lost. Yet the TV seller of your neighborhood will brag about the blackest blacks you're seeing... Tell him that this is a bad demo movie...

This is why a SD definition movie in iTunes takes about 1.5 GB while it can be compressed even to half of that. Apple avoids excessive compression to prevent blackest blacks...
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 40 of 120
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    He knows nothing about Apple as his vague statements show: "glass back to stand out from the competition" and alike. That's not Apple as we know it. He rather describes a state-sponsored Korean multimedia telephone maker's debate. Apple is a computing giant who has grown to this peak thanks to... you name it, without any state sponsorship, ever... It has no concerns like standing out of the crowd.

A switch as strategic as oled makes sense only if Apple converts all its displays, including iMacs, Thunderbolt displays, MacBooks, iPods and iPads from LCD to oled... It is NOT a multimedia telephone maker. It sells a computing ecosystem, not a few models of multimedia telephones. You must be Kuo to believe that Apple will introduce a mess of incompatible, inconsistent display technologies into its established and mature ecosystem and it will leave LCD (to join the crowd while trying to stand out from the crowd, by the way)...
    Believe me I cannot wait for AMOLED screens on more devices. It'll be the biggest upgrade that im looking forward to for my rMBP.

ireland said:

The color gamut of a display may take several forums like this so let me just specify a single thing: the black levels in a movie is a defect rather than a feature. You can compress a MP4 movie several times again and again until it gets smaller and smaller. If will play smoothly without any frame dropping. But the tonal balance will be screwed up as a result of excessive compression. All the grays will be washed out, or painted out to black. You'll get blackest blacks on people suits, hairs, faces and all the drama achieved by photographic art management will be lost. Yet the TV seller of your neighborhood will brag about the blackest blacks you're seeing... Tell him that is a bad demo movie...

This is why a SD definition movie in iTunes takes about 1.5 GB while it can be compressed even to half of that. Apple avoids excessive compression to prevent blackest blacks...

Great, so when LCD tries to display it can, but when it tries to display black it displays gray. When AMOLED tries to display gray it can, but when it tries to display black it also can. So what you're saying is that a properly encoded black level in a movie is gray, which is great and AMOLED can display it just fine as gray. What is the issue? Are you just defending LCD as it is what Apple uses in most of the their displays instead of looking at future technology you would like to see Apple use?
    edited April 2016 cnocbuinetmage