Samsung unveils Gear IconX wireless earbuds with health tracking functions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2016
As part of continued efforts to break into the health and fitness market, Samsung on Thursday added two new products to its wearable device lineup, including a pair of wireless earbuds capable of monitoring a user's heart rate.

Borrowing more than a little inspiration from a device marketed by audio startup Bragi, Samsung's Gear IconX are being touted as the first truly wireless headphone offering from major manufacturer, reports The Verge. Whereas products like Beats' Powerbeats 2 often have a cable connecting left and right driver units, ferrying power and audio signals between the two, IconX is totally wire free.

With a wireless communications suite and 4GB of flash memory, users have the option of streaming music from their smartphone or playing preloaded tunes saved to onboard storage.

Battery life is an obvious compromise for IconX, which can stream music for only about 1.5 hours before needing a recharge from the included pill-shaped case. Samsung claims users can eke out 3.5 hours listening to tracks stored on-device, a far cry from competing products able to last upwards of six hours per charge.

Of course the IconX does much more than current offerings. Not content with creating a simple wireless listening device, Samsung stuffed in a wealth of health monitoring hardware to keep track of user heart rate, steps taken, distance traveled, speed and calories burned.

Notably, IconX acts as a standalone fitness device, meaning it can process and store fitness data internally without need for a tethered smartphone. The information is later offloaded to Samsung's S Health app, a data repository similar in function to Apple's Health app for iOS.

Like the Bragi Dash, IconX boasts a touchpad for controlling system settings via swipe and tap gestures. Instead of visual cues, Samsung relies on a so-called "Voice Guide" to provide feedback on workout progress, as well as confirmations for user actions like music playback, volume adjustment and mode selection.

Samsung expects IconX to ship in the third quarter for $199. Initial compatibility will be limited to devices running Android.

In other news, Samsung today released an updated version of its Gear Fit2 smartwatch featuring a 1.5-inch curved AMOLED display, 4GB of storage, embedded GPS module and heart rate monitor. The usual assortment of motion sensors are also included for fitness tracking. Gear Fit2 launches in stores on June 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Get a good look at that YouTube commercial bc once apple comes out with theirs, Samsungs entire marketing campaign will change to mirror Apples
    calicornchiplollivernolamacguyjony0
  • Reply 2 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Battery life, expense, easily lost or pop out while biking or running. No thanks.
    jony0
  • Reply 3 of 27
    NY1822 said:
    Get a good look at that YouTube commercial bc once apple comes out with theirs, Samsungs entire marketing campaign will change to mirror Apples
    It's not a bad commercial to be fair. And I hate commercials. The product is what I'd attack.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 4 of 27
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    To be fair... this is tricky to complain about because I know this is exactly what  has up their sleeve killing off the headphone jack. All their patents point to this exactly. 

I own 7 pairs of PowerBeats 2 Bluetooth (I know... don't start. I get enough grief from all my friends for color matching to what I wear. LOL)

My concern is not even so much about popping out as it is about that battery life. Jeez-Zu 1.5 hours?  My morning 26 mile bike ride follows by my 4 mile walk these would just barely do the bike portion. 

I guess if the sounded like PowerBeats 2 Bluetooth it would be tempting, but they need to work on that battery charge. 
    calicornchip1983
  • Reply 5 of 27
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I like 'em.  I would use the onboard storage rather than BT, as my Garmin handles GPS and step tracking duties, so I would "eke out" the 3.5 hours.  I guess I wouldn't even need iPhone support in that case.  When I decided against the AW this was exactly what I was looking for, since any solution would require earbuds of some sort and I wanted to avoid carrying another device.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    razormaid said:

To be fair... this is tricky to complain about because I know this is exactly what  has up their sleeve killing off the headphone jack. All their patents point to this exactly. 

I own 7 pairs of PowerBeats 2 Bluetooth (I know... don't start. I get enough grief from all my friends for color matching to what I wear. LOL)
    1. You spent $1,400 on Power Beats?

2. You can actual criticise Apple. Life will continue on. Just because Apple does something or is about to doesn't mean it's not fair game.

3. Killing off the headphone jack in the iPhone doesn't kill off wires. The idea is there still is a port for wired listening—the Lightning port. Wireless is an option and has been for several years now. Wired earbuds/phones are here to stay for a long, long time. Some people prefer wired, sound quality is still superior, they don't need to be charged, never lose their charge, they cost less, they are harder to lose, zero lag—the list goes on. Some people such as Marco Arment use both depending on the situation. Wired are here to stay.
    edited June 2016 cali1983jony0
  • Reply 7 of 27
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ireland said:
    razormaid said:

2. You can actual criticise Apple. Life will continue on. Just because Apple does something or is about to doesn't mean it's not fair game.

3. Killing off the headphone jack in the iPhone doesn't kill off wires. The idea is there still is a port for wired listening—the Lightning port. Wireless is an option and has been for several years now. Wired earbuds/phones are here to stay for a long, long time. Some people prefer wired, sound quality is still superior, they don't need to be charged, never lose their charge, they cost less, they are harder to lose, zero lag—the list goes on. Some people such as Marco Arment use both depending on the situation. Wired are here to stay.

I hated the thought of losing the headphone jack until I realized adapters will be developed and sold.

You're right, nothing compares to wired headphones and I have yet to see studio grade wireless headphones.
    irelandjony0
  • Reply 8 of 27
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    NY1822 said:
    True, although it already looks like an Apple commercial.

I thought that was a Beats Pill at the end.
    edited June 2016 1983
  • Reply 9 of 27
    I've had my Bragi Dash for a couple months now, not perfect but I love 'em. Glad Samsung is dumping money into an ad campaign, it will only grow the category and benefit Bragi, the true innovator. Same situation as Pebble vs Apple's Watch vs Samsung's shitty electro-junk.

If only Bragi had enough money to properly sue Samsung- I'd pay good money to see that battle.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 10 of 27
    ireland said:
    Battery life, expense, easily lost or pop out while biking or running. No thanks.
    Wrong.

Battery life on Bragi is great.

They haven't popped out once during intense triathlon training.

Good audio products cost money. Good electronics cost money... 

Not sure about Samsung but Bragi uses a dual armature design which delivers good sound (for a non-audiophile grade Bluetooth headphone).

creativeone
  • Reply 11 of 27
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    ireland said:
    razormaid said:

Well I didn't spend $1,400 my family and friends did. Granted I did buy the first 2 but the rest were given as presents. (birthday, Christmas, etc). They ask what I want and I tell them PowerBeats 2. GRIN what can I say?  I have great friends and family. Trust me they know they're getting off easy. I'm tough to buy for because I already have the things I need. But with music being my actual job in life they get used 24/7 (yes even to bed because I watch movies fall asleep, and use subliminal education apps while sleeping, so except for showering they're always on. 

Based on the patents  has been filing since 2010 they're definitely loosing the cord. Sorry. 

I think when people see the sturdiness of the "in ear -no cord" and the advantage of the "computer in the ear" possibilities, they will find this is an natural evolutionary process that works.

The only issue with the Bragi (the German company's version of the ear buds) is the Bluetooth mess (losing signal, etc). The good news is  solved that problem even with PowerBeats. When BEATS made them, all movies had a 1.2 second "visual to audio" delay. After  bought them 3 weeks later? Fixed!

Cant wait for 's version. Think they'll have a trade in program for me (like they do on used iPhones)?  LOL 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 12 of 27
    that's heart rate, steps taken, distance traveled, speed and calories burned... within the 1.5 hoirs the device is working. wow.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    wired headphones are the modern day rotary phones....deal with it
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 14 of 27
    razormaid said:

Based on the patents  has been filing since 2010 they're definitely loosing the cord. Sorry. 
    Why are you sorry? You're saying they are getting rid of the headphone jack and the Lightning port? Let's see how well that prediction turns out for you in September. Yes Lighting is a wire. Hence why there will be Lighting EarPods in new iPhone boxes going forward.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 15 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I dunno. Seems like you easily lose/misplace one ear bud. 
    ireland
  • Reply 16 of 27
    jungmark said:
    I dunno. Seems like you easily lose/misplace one ear bud. 
    Don't say that. That makes you not a future person. Or smtn.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Yet again, execution is lacking. Come up with a cool concept, but fumble at execution to get the privilege of saying "first!".

It says 1.5 hours if you stream music from your phone, or 3.5 hours if you copy music onto its RAM. So that begs the question, what happens when the health/ fitness functionality is turned on? Will it last 30 minutes?

Suddenly, for a heart-rate monitor, step and calorie counter that plays music, with the added bonus of notifications, the Apple Watch's 16 hours is not too shabby, right?

• Reply 18 of 27
    I hope no one falls for these cheap af looking earbuds. Just buy the Bragi and you get the original ones with much more features, more battery and quality.
    I can't with Samesung sometimes. 
  • Reply 19 of 27
    the.bearthe.bear Posts: 14member

Yet again, execution is lacking. Come up with a cool concept, but fumble at execution to get the privilege of saying "first!".

It says 1.5 hours if you stream music from your phone, or 3.5 hours if you copy music onto its RAM. So that begs the question, what happens when the health/ fitness functionality is turned on? Will it last 30 minutes?

Suddenly, for a heart-rate monitor, step and calorie counter that plays music, with the added bonus of notifications, the Apple Watch's 16 hours is not too shabby, right?

You do realize that Samsung sells A LOT of products that have nothing to do with Apple, right? Samsung has a whole line of fitness, wearables, smart home and IoT products, all on Tizen. The only products that Samsung directly competes with Apple on are phones, tablets and smart watches. The latter of which Samsung had a product out 3 years before Apple did and has a bunch of features that the Apple Watch does not have like 3G and GPS, and still has better battery life. They also have a fitness tracker (though with a small watch type display that runs apps) to compete more directly with the likes of Fitbit and Garmin, a device that Apple does not have and likely will never release. Samsung's goal is to eventually gain an IoT ecosystem based on Tizen that is big and profitable enough to allow them to switch their smartphones from Android to Tizen also. Android devices from other manufacturers will not be compatible with Samsung's Tizen devices, so if you want compatibility with all of your Samsung smart home and health gear, you will have no choice but to switch from Android to Tizen. They already have an SDK that allows developers to convert Android apps to Tizen apps. So they would have released this gadget whether Apple would have or not, and plan to release a bunch of products that Apple never will (i.e. Android-based smart printers).

Apple and Samsung are two totally different companies with different business strategies, goals and customer bases. They only happen to overlap in a few product lines because Samsung tries to enter almost every area in consumer electronics and appliances, even if it isn't "high tech". Samsung was no more thinking about Apple when they made this device than they do when they make their next streaming DVD player or smart TV.
    singularity
  • Reply 20 of 27
    the.bearthe.bear Posts: 14member
    I hope no one falls for these cheap af looking earbuds. Just buy the Bragi and you get the original ones with much more features, more battery and quality.
    I can't with Samesung sometimes. 
    The Bragi one will have fewer features, less quality and won't be commercially available in anywhere near as many channels or regions as the Samsung ones will be. And as iPhones are becoming more and more similar to the Samsung Galaxy with each iteration (some are even calling it "the iPhone Galaxy", and when future iPhones have curved OLED screens with multi-window and stylus that will increase, not decrease) the "Samesung" tag will become more and more ridiculous over time. In any event, appropriating a good idea from a smaller company is very common. Lest we forget Apple has been known to do it too (i.e. Apple Music = Spotify).
    singularity