Inside iOS 10: Apple Maps will remember where you parked your car

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    Will the iPhone automatically remember the name of the person you wake up with in bed?
    lostkiwimacguispheric
  • Reply 22 of 76
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    djkfisher said:
    Tim, I love all things Apple, but, MAPS, sucks. It just can't get it done. Go for the good stuff, drop this and partner with, Ugh, Google, who can get you there, and on time. Some things are just not worth the effort.. This is one, Tim
    Exactly! Pretty much useless for driving direction because SIRI can't spell most of the streets and places in different Europe countries, finding businesses location is virtually impossible as it's not there inside the Maps. Not sure how it works in USA but in Europe it's useless. Google's Maps is miles ahead over here. 
    joe28753cropr
  • Reply 23 of 76
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    jfanning said:
    kevin kee said:
    Also it smart enough to differentiate your home and non-home at the end of trip. This is better than Android version in my opinion, it notifies automatically when you really park regardless you use a map gps, not only stop, and where - and automatically give you direction - shown directly in the lockscreen.
    Apart from the lockscreen one, you have exactly described the Android version, personally I wouldn't want this information on the lockscreen, so how is it better?
    Because it's not android. Duh!
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 76
    RauthaRautha Posts: 5member
    Android Apple innovations are amazing. I can't wait for Apple to invent a way so I get notifications in the morning and evening about traffic delays on my commute. It will be very useful in getting around traffic. So useful that you would have thought someone would have invented this 2 years ago.
    jfanning
  • Reply 25 of 76
    apres587apres587 Posts: 51member
    Ani said:

10 or 20 years ago I've wasted hours to find my car at some airport long-time parking and I play safe since then.

A side story: about 10 years ago, my boss and I returned to Logan airport in Boston after a red-eye flight. My boss couldn't remember where she had parked her car.  She had no idea which garage, level, or nothing.  The only info she could provide was "I know I parked it somewhere."  Yeah, she was always a bit dingy. So we spent 30 minutes driving around in my car looking for it. Then I realized there are many huge garages with up to 7 levels each and this could take all day and was trying to think what to do. I contemplated dumping her back at the terminal when an airport security guy noticed us and asked if there was a problem. Told him we couldn't find my boss' car.

So the security guy asked for the license plate number and then picked up his walkie-talke and called it in.  After a couple of seconds, we hear the reply back giving the garage, level, row, and slot number.  I was very impressed and thankful I didn't have to spend my day off in a parking garage. He said after 9/11, airport security records the license, make, model, and location of every single vehicle parked overnight.  It never occurred to me to simply pickup a courtesy phone or go to the parking office and ask where the car was. 

Anyway, she could totally use this Apple feature because I'm certain that losing her car at malls, stadiums, etc, is common occurrence for her. 
    edited June 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 76
    kevin kee said:
    djkfisher said:
    Tim, I love all things Apple, but, MAPS, sucks. It just can't get it done. Go for the good stuff, drop this and partner with, Ugh, Google, who can get you there, and on time. Some things are just not worth the effort.. This is one, Tim
    Apple maps is improving faster than Google was based on the timeline (Google Map was nowhere as good as Apple Map on their 4th year), so I wouldn't worry too much. Apple can not rely on important apps like this on 3rd party. The last time they tried, Google denied turn-by-turn navigation on iOS,
    Unfortunately that's not really relevant.  Google Maps is much better at present, so there's very little incentive to use Apple Maps.  I keep trying to, since the turn by turn plays over my car's stereo, but last time I tried Apple Maps it kept telling me to turn into a small lake at an office complex.  Switched to GM and it correctly told me my destination was across the street.  Ugh
    joe28753
  • Reply 27 of 76
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    wood1208 said:
    Would be nice to have same feature without using map for direction and map remembers at the end of trip. For example, if I am going to mall than I don't need map for direction because I already know the place but I can forget where I parked my car in mall's big parking lot. Same true in multi-store parking deck or game arena parking lot.
    Someday car's infotainment system through Carplay will talk to iphone and that can take care of where parked to starting car to see status of car doors,etc,,,
    Apple Map is automatically zoom in to the small area when you are in the city and building versus larger area when you are in the park for example. However I hope Apple will show vertical direction, too, though I am not sure how.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    I'd rather the iPhone note where I am and have my car come to me.
    lorin schultz
  • Reply 29 of 76
    crosslad said:
    kmanvan said:
    Wow. Doing what Android has been doing for years already and calling it innovation. Embarrassing. 

I've found it works very hit and miss on my android phone. Once  when I moved my car a couple of miles it didn't recognise that I had moved and told me my car was still in the previous place. 
    Android works on an Einsteinian notion of space-time. The car is still in its "previous place," you just need to travel back in time to retrieve it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 76
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,278member
    djkfisher said:
    No.  Apple can just play catch-up in Maps and will still win the day.  Like Microsoft did with personal computing in the 1990s.  Most rank and file users don't bother to do the extra effort to get the best-in-class solutions.

So Tim and company are doing just fine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 76
    I've been on board with the iOS 10 beta since day 1, and I just noticed this feature earlier after I got to work. What a cool feature to finally have built-in! For those wondering, you do NOT need to be actively in the Maps app or doing directions to somewhere. So as long as you have your phone connected to your Bluetooth or CarPlay-enabled car, then it will get your location automatically and mark a "parked car" spot on the map so as long as the location isn't your address designated as home.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 76
    Updated to iOS 10 yesterday and this morning my pocket hummed with the "parked car recorded" message. No need to use maps for the route to there. I think it involves the motion detectors from a sitting motion to walking, combined with location. Good job!
    redraider11ai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 76
    The feature works without using the phone for directions. I don't use my phone for directions and it (iOS 10) always knows where I parked without ANY intervention or even use of the phone.
    redraider11ai46stevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 76
    Well for me, they can't even get my home address right. They just don't recognise it. And I haven't found a way yet like 'siri, set my current position as my home address'... just doesn't work. Apple thinks I live in the nearest town and still need to go 6 minutes when I'm at home...
  • Reply 35 of 76
    Got tired of maps after being let down time and time again, using google maps and haven't had a hitch as of yet after using for near 6 months. Apple won't be winning me back anytime soon
  • Reply 36 of 76
    wood1208 said:
    Would be nice to have same feature without using map for direction and map remembers at the end of trip. For example, if I am going to mall than I don't need map for direction because I already know the place but I can forget where I parked my car in mall's big parking lot. Same true in multi-store parking deck or game arena parking lot.
    Someday car's infotainment system through Carplay will talk to iphone and that can take care of where parked to starting car to see status of car doors,etc,,,
    No need to use maps for directions, it remembers whether you use it or not. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 76
    I thought I read somewhere that it only remembers if you were previously connected to your car via Bluetooth. So that's not the case I take it.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    apres587 said:
    Ani said:

10 or 20 years ago I've wasted hours to find my car at some airport long-time parking and I play safe since then.

A side story: about 10 years ago, my boss and I returned to Logan airport in Boston after a red-eye flight. My boss couldn't remember where she had parked her car.  She had no idea which garage, level, or nothing.  The only info she could provide was "I know I parked it somewhere."  Yeah, she was always a bit dingy. So we spent 30 minutes driving around in my car looking for it. Then I realized there are many huge garages with up to 7 levels each and this could take all day and was trying to think what to do. I contemplated dumping her back at the terminal when an airport security guy noticed us and asked if there was a problem. Told him we couldn't find my boss' car.

So the security guy asked for the license plate number and then picked up his walkie-talke and called it in.  After a couple of seconds, we hear the reply back giving the garage, level, row, and slot number.  I was very impressed and thankful I didn't have to spend my day off in a parking garage. He said after 9/11, airport security records the license, make, model, and location of every single vehicle parked overnight.  It never occurred to me to simply pickup a courtesy phone or go to the parking office and ask where the car was. 

Anyway, she could totally use this Apple feature because I'm certain that losing her car at malls, stadiums, etc, is common occurrence for her. 
    I think your parking space shows up on your receipt when you leave too. Not that it would help you with a lost car, but I noticed this same thing at Boston airport. Once I realized they note where you park, I made a mental note that I could ask them about a lost car. 
  • Reply 39 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    techno said:
    I was hoping for multi-location trip routes.

"Siri, I am going to A, B and C. Plan the best route."
    It is strange that isn't there.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member

kmanvan said:
    Wow. Doing what Android has been doing for years already and calling it innovation. Embarrassing. 

I hear Android now has a 'best place to cook your dinner while camping using your Galaxy 7' app too.  :)
    lkruppicoco3ai46stevehroundaboutnowwatto_cobra