Inside iOS 10: Apple Maps will remember where you parked your car

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    kmanvan said:
    Wow. Doing what Android has been doing for years already and calling it innovation. Embarrassing. 

Kinda begs the question of why you Android fappers are posting here doesn’t it? I mean since Android is so many light years ahead of iOS in your minds why would you care? Insecurity? Anxiety? Paranoia? Inferiority complex? Fear?
    nolamacguyai46watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 42 of 76
    kevin kee said:
    djkfisher said:
    Tim, I love all things Apple, but, MAPS, sucks. It just can't get it done. Go for the good stuff, drop this and partner with, Ugh, Google, who can get you there, and on time. Some things are just not worth the effort.. This is one, Tim
    Apple maps is improving faster than Google was based on the timeline (Google Map was nowhere as good as Apple Map on their 4th year), so I wouldn't worry too much. Apple can not rely on important apps like this on 3rd party. The last time they tried, Google denied turn-by-turn navigation on iOS,
    I agree. Apple is finally getting into a good groove with this update. So far, I'm seeing so many thoughtful improvements in iOS 10 that it seems like a complete reversal from the last several updates.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    mknelson said:
    kevin kee said:
    I used to mark my parking spot manually. This looks like something that save me that extra work. Good job.
    The question I have: is it completely automatic anytime you park, or as it implies, does it only happen if you're ending a trip using maps to navigate a route?
    Have to research more...
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 44 of 76
    jfanning said:
    mknelson said:
    The question I have: is it completely automatic anytime you park, or as it implies, does it only happen if you're ending a trip using maps to navigate a route?
    The article actually says, "...will remember a vehicle's location at the end of of a trip."  So my interpretation is any trip, like to the store or work.
    Another article I read yesterday state it happens only when you are using CarPlay or when your iPhone is connected via Bluetooth to your vehicle. I was using CarPlay yesterday and I was NOT using navigation to get to work...but upon parking, the iPhone turned to Apple Maps and showed me a dropped pin of where I parked.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 45 of 76
    I noticed this only works for me on my car that I connected to via Bluetooth but doesn't work on my other (old) car that has no Bluetooth connectivity.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    No use to me unless it also remembers the exact spot in the parking ramp or lot.  For that, I just take a picture.

• Reply 47 of 76
    croprcropr Posts: 1,121member
    And they say innovation is dead at Apple!  Apple approach is always subtle that one only realizes after it's use. Just like the app "where is my iPhone"!!
    Don't fool yourself. This has nothing to do with innovation.  Apple just copied a feature that existed already a few years in Google Maps
  • Reply 48 of 76
    croprcropr Posts: 1,121member
    jume said:
    djkfisher said:
    Tim, I love all things Apple, but, MAPS, sucks. It just can't get it done. Go for the good stuff, drop this and partner with, Ugh, Google, who can get you there, and on time. Some things are just not worth the effort.. This is one, Tim
    Exactly! Pretty much useless for driving direction because SIRI can't spell most of the streets and places in different Europe countries, finding businesses location is virtually impossible as it's not there inside the Maps. Not sure how it works in USA but in Europe it's useless. Google's Maps is miles ahead over here. 
    Sad but true.  Apple Maps and Siri are not the best friends of the European market
  • Reply 49 of 76

hoobitron said:
    So basically...Waze. They should have bought Waze when they had the chance. I still don't understand why it's taken them this long to catch up. Sadly, I am starting to feel like that's all Apple's been doing is catching up. iOS10 is bringing in features that already exist elsewhere.
    To demand that a company's product should always lead in every feature and aspect is unrealistic.  There is also a trade-off between early introduction and refinement.  There are a lot more Apple customers who will be unhappy with loss of refinement than those who get worked up about lagging feature introduction.
    nolamacguyai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 76

djkfisher said:
    Noooo.  No nosy Google Maps for me, please. You want it?  Get the app. 
    nolamacguyai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 76
    sirdir said:
    Well for me, they can't even get my home address right. They just don't recognise it. And I haven't found a way yet like 'siri, set my current position as my home address'... just doesn't work. Apple thinks I live in the nearest town and still need to go 6 minutes when I'm at home...
    What Siri considers to be Home is the address you put in Contacts, for the card labeled "me." Once you do that (and it's accurate), iOS and macOS uses that information to inform Siri, Maps, Apple Pay shipping options and more.
    ai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 76
    techno said:
    I was hoping for multi-location trip routes.

"Siri, I am going to A, B and C. Plan the best route."
    That's easier said than done. The Traveling Salesman problem is one of the classic optimization problems in computer science. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 53 of 76

bells said:
    Does Apple Maps auto correct traffic routes based on traffic conditions yet?
    Yes. Three or four times now, Siri has told me there was a problem ahead. Sometimes, it tells me I'm still on the fastest route; sometimes, it says "rerouting." (I think it asks for permission before rerouting, but I can'5 recall for sure.) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 76
    djkfisher said:
    Personally i find Maps much better than Google Maps. They are both equally accurate, but Apple Maps is far cleaner when using it for GPS. I totally stopped using Google Maps a year ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 76
    I find that GPS is often not very accurate. Looking at the screenshots, if you imagine a crowded parking lot the size of a football field, at best you might narrow your car down to one of 100 cars. I guess we will see when we actually try it out.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    sog35 said:
    bill42 said:
    I find that GPS is often not very accurate. Looking at the screenshots, if you imagine a crowded parking lot the size of a football field, at best you might narrow your car down to one of 100 cars. I guess we will see when we actually try it out.
    wonder if they can use bluetooth when you get closer to your car? If you car has bluetooth
    I don't think you can. Bluetooth isn't on when your vehicle is off. I tested it out with mine and Bluetooth didn't come on until I started my vehicle. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 57 of 76
    This doesn't seem to be working for me. I parked my car at the parking garage this morning but when I open Maps I don't see where I parked. Is there a setting I'm missing?
  • Reply 58 of 76
    tundraboy said:
    No use to me unless it also remembers the exact spot in the parking ramp or lot.  For that, I just take a picture.

the pin for your car has a notes text field and a button to add a photo.

edited September 2016 ai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    I really need Find where I left my car keys, glasses, TV Remote and wife now.
    ai46argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 76
    hoobitron said:
    So basically...Waze. They should have bought Waze when they had the chance. 
    I tried Waze a few times a few years ago and couldn't understand why some people thought that Apple missed a change there. I found it a hot, annoying mess of an app. I do think that Apple will eventually implement some more crowd sourced incident reports, or at least I hope for that, but Waze is a cluster-clutter.
    watto_cobra