Apple hands out rainbow Apple Watch bands to commemorate LGBT Pride

Comments

• Reply 41 of 182
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    why- said:

well I was talking specifically about western countries, of which I am a part.

Last I checked, Orlando was in the Western Hemisphere. :#
  • Reply 42 of 182
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    wizard69 said:
    What a waste of money, time and effort!   
    I disagree.  Apple has always been involved in the humanities, this is one example.  This gesture is also in support of LGBT community and employees everywhere, not just Apple.  It's comments and attitudes like yours is why Pride exists....Try walking in our shoes. Lose the hate.
    Why should I care if someone is gay? Why should I care if they're black, or white, or Hispanic, or Asian, or transexual, or male, or female? Everyone is human, and everyone is entitled to the same basic human rights as everyone else. No more, no less. Discrimination of any kind is disgusting and there is no place for it, but it's the same for preferential treatment. If that's a hateful stance to you, then there is no reasoning with you.
    TurboPGTdocno42
  • Reply 43 of 182
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    Why would someone be attacked for NOT being mentally ill?
    what a silly thing to say. we're not discussing mental illness, we're discussing the LGBT community
    edited June 2016 dsdbaconstangnasseraesingularitybeltsbearAniiosenthusiastjroyration allondor
  • Reply 44 of 182
    hittrj01 said:
    I disagree.  Apple has always been involved in the humanities, this is one example.  This gesture is also in support of LGBT community and employees everywhere, not just Apple.  It's comments and attitudes like yours is why Pride exists....Try walking in our shoes. Lose the hate.
    Why should I care if someone is gay? Why should I care if they're black, or white, or Hispanic, or Asian, or transexual, or male, or female? Everyone is human, and everyone is entitled to the same basic human rights as everyone else. No more, no less. Discrimination of any kind is disgusting and there is no place for it, but it's the same for preferential treatment. If that's a hateful stance to you, then there is no reasoning with you.

Where is this "preferential" treatment?
    baconstanghmmbeltsbearAniiosenthusiastjroyration allondorai46
  • Reply 45 of 182
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    When last heard from, Apple was an innovator and merchandiser of high tech hardware and software. Where the hell has Apple gone? Chasing the rainbow will not sell more hardware and software. 
    Since they've supported Pride events for thirty years it seems you're wrong. Quite a lot of hardware and software sold during that span. 

"As seen in the photo above, posted to Reddit on Sunday, Apple produced a small quantity of woven nylon bands done up in Pride regulation rainbow to recognize 30 years of Apple Pride, the company's first Diversity Network Association. Employees who registered for a Pride event, such as the San Francisco parade, received a copy.
    edited June 2016 baconstangbeltsbearAniiosenthusiastration allondorai46fastasleep
  • Reply 46 of 182
    walter77walter77 Posts: 28member
    mac_dog said:
    All the bigots are up in arms because they just realized there are people of all walks of life in the world. 

Calling people bigots who think differently from you is bigotry also...
    zeus423tallest skilSpamSandwichdocno42
  • Reply 47 of 182
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    walter77 said:
    mac_dog said:
    All the bigots are up in arms because they just realized there are people of all walks of life in the world. 

Calling people bigots who think differently from you is bigotry also...

Not if they're actually behaving like bigots. Then it's just calling them out on it.
    ericthehalfbeebaconstangsingularitydsdbeltsbeariosenthusiastjroyration allondorai46
  • Reply 48 of 182
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    I yearn for the day where people don't feel they need a parade to prove their worth.
    That won't happen until people don't get upset when they see the LGBT community, woman, and people of minority "race" wanting to be considered equals in society. When that day comes then there will no reason have parades or marches.
    edited June 2016 why-nasseraebaconstangbeltsbeariosenthusiastRayz2016jroyration allondorai46
  • Reply 49 of 182
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    macxpress said:
    I would love to have one of those bands! Totally cool! I for one are glad a large company such as Apple are doing what no one else is, and thats standing up for LGBT rights. Everyone else is just following. Still in today's world its a harsh world for the LGBT community. 

This is not a waste of time, money and effort. It took little to no money, no time and I'm sure Apple's employees are more than glad to put forth the effort toward something like this. 
    Yes, it's very harsh, the endless pride celebrations, the fawning from the media, phone calls from the President. Heck, if you're a crap sports player, you can just claim you're gay and get special treatment!
    Yep, no baggage comes with being gay in this country, or anywhere else in the world. None at all...
    why-Solibaconstangbeltsbeariosenthusiastjroyration allondorai46
  • Reply 50 of 182
    apple ][ said:
    Yo Apple, where is my special made, limited edition, straight-white-male-awesome-hetero watch band?

Stainless Steel Links Band, dude. It screams "straight, white, and male".
    There is an entire industry of traditional watches, not to mention Android and Windows OEMs that cater to the insecure, video game playing, straight white male. I think their ads often feature explosions and transforming devices as if directed by Michael Bay.
    iosenthusiastjroylondoranome
  • Reply 51 of 182
    1) Wow! You're equating watching guys masturbate with oppressed groups wanting equal rights and liberties in a society?

2) If you really want to watch groups of guys masturbate then this parade is for you. Accept who you are; don't be another Omar Mateen. 
    edited June 2016 why-anomecrowleybaconstangkevin keeirnchrizbeltsbeariosenthusiastjroylondor
  • Reply 52 of 182

levi said:
    Yes, it's very harsh, the endless pride celebrations, the fawning from the media, phone calls from the President. Heck, if you're a crap sports player, you can just claim you're gay and get special treatment!
    Yep, no baggage comes with being gay in this country, or anywhere else in the world. None at all...
    Zip. Zero. Ziltch. Nada. And no legal system or religious text has ever made laws against homosexuality. Ever¡
    nasseraewhy-baconstangdsdiosenthusiastjroyration allondorlevi
  • Reply 53 of 182
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Holy crap, folks, this is a watch band celebrating a special event that promotes diversity, kindness and tolerance (among other positive values).  It's amazing how many people act as if this is the downfall of civilization.

Besides, here's some news: Microsoft is also in favour of LGBT rights.  So is Google.  So is Amazon.  If you're trying to find a major tech company to support that doesn't back LGBT rights... well, stop using technology, because you won't find it.
    edited June 2016 why-Solithepixeldocbaconstangiosenthusiastjroyration allondorai46fastasleep
  • Reply 54 of 182
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    walter77 said:
    levi said:
    He likely picked him for his good business sense, judgement, and values, which he and staff are demonstrating. Also, guess you didn't read the part about Apple's 30 years sponsoring the event.
    The 30 year sponsorship might be a defense, except his anti-Trump position will hurt Apple if Trump wins. Large corporation should be more neutral in presidential politics and other controversial areas. Tim needs to keep his politics to himself...
    Large corporations might be a little concerned that Trump is 1) alienating thier customers (non-whites, non-Christians, women, etc) 2) would be a disaster to our economy (default on US debt, raise trade barriers, alienate economic and political allies, mandate domestic manufacturering). Even Republicans are beginning to jump ship - Hank Paulson, George Will, Rubio, Cruz, Romney, the Bush family. Glad to see a corporation on the side of basic decency.
    Solibaconstangdsdiosenthusiastjroyration allondorai46
  • Reply 55 of 182
    commodus said:
    Holy crap, folks, this is a watch band celebrating a special event that promotes diversity, kindness and tolerance.  It's amazing how many people act as if this is the downfall of civilization.

Besides, news flash: Microsoft is also in favour of LGBT rights.  So is Google.  So is Amazon.  If you're trying to find a major tech company to support that doesn't back LGBT rights... well, stop using technology, because you won't find it.
    It's an issue to these people because the CEO of a company they used to really like is now gay. They didn't want this. Many have been calling for his removal since he came out. They ignore that Apple has been supporting civil liberties since before Cook was even working with Apple or, as you note, that all the other companies support LGBT and women's* rights, too.

* I added women's rights, because these same people also tend to have a lot of issues with women in leadership roles.
    why-baconstangsingularitydsdiosenthusiastjroyration allondorai46fastasleep
  • Reply 56 of 182
    ireland said:
    I yearn for the day where people don't feel they need a parade to prove their worth.
    Me too. I go to the Pride London event and can for a few hours be the real me, in company with others and in a pretty safe environment. I'm in the 'T' part of LGBT.
    I'd never pass in public on any other day so I like many others hide our true selves.
    Why?
    I have the medical records to prove that there are people out there who really hate anyone who does not fit their idea of 'normal'. It isn't generally too bad to be 'G' or 'L' where I live but a 'T' who is obviously not right is a clear target.
    I'd like there to be a world where I could be me all the time and out in public but I can't. This is a fact of life that I and the others like me have to live with.
    I applaud Apple for supporting this event.
    baconstangRené de Katiosenthusiastjroyration allondorfastasleep
  • Reply 57 of 182
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    apple ][ said:
    why- said:

when you get physically attacked/raped/abused/sent to "correctional therapy"/threatened/abandoned for being straight let me know. I don't know why you have such a problem with people celebrating something they fought hard to be able to express

The white, straight, non leftist male is one of the most discriminated against species in the entire world, and it's basically open season on them from the entire left and the lie media. 

As a straight white male myself, I have to say you have my sympathy. Nature and evolution can be cruel to subspecies that are heading toward obsolescence, while their more advanced cohorts in the group, better adapted to a new environment, seem to shun or marginalize the retrogrades.

I for one think it's tragic. As a humanitarian, how could one not wish we modern humans had protected and preserved, for reasons of diversity, the Neaderthals, for example? 

I really hope you can adapt and survive, because there's no way you can make evolution run backwards.
    thepixeldocSolibaconstangdsdiosenthusiastjroyRayz2016londorai46fastasleep
  • Reply 58 of 182
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Tim means well, but had he been focussing more so on the iPhone 7 instead of selecting new watchbands and giving political speeches, then maybe most people wouldn't be coveting the 2017 model.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 59 of 182
    Wow! So I can put you down as a supporter of NAMBLA, et. al., then? Bestiality? Necrophilia? How DARE you try to stop “love”?! Incest! “Motherfucker” is still an insult after 60 years! Why, that’s just shameful in a Progressive Society Free of Hate™! What about just public displays of heterosexual sex (otherwise known as sex), anytime, anywhere? That’s fine, too.

Maybe branch out a bit. Criminals? They’re oppressed. Forced into jail, you know. I bet they don’t want to be there, at least. At least restore their voting rights. Voting rights! Kids can’t vote! That’s oppression! They can’t get drivers licenses, either. We covered that they can’t “love” already; they can’t even “love” each other! Voting rights for illegals, too! Voting rights for anyone, anywhere in the world! Borders! They’re oppressive. How DARE you try to stop me moving anywhere I want at any time I want and taking anything I want to take!
    So now you equate the natural state of homosexuality with public masturbation, child molestation and rape, bestiality, necrophilia, and incest, as well as suggesting that being born gay is a criminal act. Why don't you vote by avoiding any and all companies that support homosexuals being treated fairly in society.

DO YOU SEE NOW WHY WE HAVE TO HAVE A MINIMUM STANDARD OF COMMON SENSE IN SOCIETY, OR WOULD YOU LIKE TO JUST BRING THIS HEDONISTIC SHIT DOWN AROUND US? Because I’m all for razing this bitch to the ground and rebuilding civilization as it once was. Say the word.

NO civilization has EVER succeeded when it heralded degeneracy as progress. Not for thirteen fucking thousand years. Maybe think as to why that is.

Many societies have accepted homosexuality as part of nature despite your insistence that they are all degenerates and that it'll be society's downfall.

edited June 2016 why-kevin keecrowleydsdiosenthusiastjroyration allondorai46fastasleep
  • Reply 60 of 182
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    “You are a funny man, Mr. Bond...”
    the word "funny" usually implies a joke, only I wasn't joking??

tallest skil said:

Uh... I’m pointing out the fallacy of YOUR statement. Then again, you’re tired, so that’s probably why you used a fallacy instead of an actual argument.
    and what fallacy would that be? telling someone that if they don't enjoy something they don't have to participate in it? oh dear how awful

in any case, in what world is masturbating in public the equivalent of people marching to express their identity? you're taking what I said and applying it to an extreme situation in order to make it easier to argue against. I believe they call that a strawman. it in no way proves your point, although I'm not entirely sure what that is
    Solikevin keebeltsbeariosenthusiastjroyration allondorfastasleep