Open casting call begins for first original Apple TV series 'Planet of the Apps'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Television production company Propagate on Tuesday announced the start of an open casting call for "Planet of the Apps," an original series about the app economy coproduced by Apple.

Announced through the upcoming show's website, the casting call is looking for iOS, macOS, tvOS and watchOS developers who can have beta or fully functional software ready by late October, reports Macworld.

Not much is known about "Planet of the Apps" beyond its association with app development. Apple in March confirmed it was working with musician Will.i.am and two television industry executives on the unscripted series, but would not comment on a production timeline or distribution.

"We've seen some really, truly inspiring and incredible stories from our developers in what they've done, where they come from, how they started and the problems they've solved," Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue said earlier this year when asked about the project.

Language on the website suggests "Planet of the Apps" will include elements of reality TV game shows. Specifically, producers are inviting developers to join in the "search for the next great app," while an FAQ section reveals developers who are accepted will need to become members of Apple's Developer Program so their apps can be featured on the App Store.

In addition to onscreen time and a prominent spot on the App Store, developers will get to work with technology industry experts and have a chance at funding from top-tier VCs, the website says.

Those interested in taking part in the program can fill out an application online now through Friday, Aug. 26. "Planet of the Apps" is scheduled to shoot in late 2016 through early 2017.

Apple's push into original content creation was first reported last year when rumors suggested the company planned to produce movies or television programming similar to products from companies Netflix and Hulu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Oh god that title sounds awful.  I'd rather watch the Dre show.
    bdkennedy1002cornchipanantksundaramdasanman69lord amhranmobiusbaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 39
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    please god this is working title
    bdkennedy1002cornchipanantksundarammobiusbaconstang
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Sigh.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 4 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    YOU MANIACS! YOU DOWNLOADED IT! KERNEL PANIC YOU! KERNEL PANIC YOU ALL TO ROOT!
    cornchipdouglas baileyentropysstevehbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 5 of 39
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Is this seriously something people want to watch? I suppose it could be interesting but at first blush it sounds quite boring.
    tallest skilbdkennedy1002cornchipmobiusbaconstang
  • Reply 6 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Is this seriously something people want to watch? I suppose it could be interesting but at first blush it sounds quite boring.
    Series no, documentary, sure. It doesn’t seem like there’s enough content for a ‘series’, unless it’s reality TV (and then it’s just completely worthless).
    bdkennedy1002anantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 39
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    Ick.  This is not the way to make an entrance into original content.
    bdkennedy1002why-anantksundaramtallest skilmobiusbaconstang
  • Reply 8 of 39
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Could be ok. Maybe kinda like Silicon Valley on HBO. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 39
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    but.....why??
    baconstangbdkennedy1002
  • Reply 10 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Wow. Hope it's not terrible.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 11 of 39
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Relax. It's April 1....

Oh, wait....
    baconstang
  • Reply 12 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    YOU MANIACS! YOU DOWNLOADED IT! KERNEL PANIC YOU! KERNEL PANIC YOU ALL TO ROOT!
    Get your code off me you damn dirty dev
    douglas baileyentropystallest skil
  • Reply 13 of 39
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    supadav03 said:
    Could be ok. Maybe kinda like Silicon Valley on HBO. 
    Is it supposed to be a comedy?
  • Reply 14 of 39
    I totally misread the title and was excited. 
    Then I realised their mistake. Meh.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    I would be enthusiastic it if was a reboot of planet of the apes. Starring Matt Damon!
    Although to keep it fresh we should have lizard overlords instead of apes.

Edit: sigh, that has been done too. How about we get to welcome our Pokemon overlords instead?
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 16 of 39
    So we get a laughably pathetic propaganda puff piece while Apple low-balls the specs for its MacBook line-up and lets the MacPro languish on the vine? No thanks, I'll pass.
    edited July 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 17 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If I want to watch planet of the apes, I just turn on the tv news. 
    douglas baileycali
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This sounds like something that should be played on a loop in the WWDC lounge, or better yet, the WWDC app sitting on my AppleTV that does nothing for most of the year. 
  • Reply 19 of 39
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    apple ][ said:

actually human beings didn't evolve from apes. apes and humans both evolved from a common ancestor, but aside from that they're not related
  • Reply 20 of 39
    why- said:
    apple ][ said:

actually human beings didn't evolve from apes. apes and humans both evolved from a common ancestor, but aside from that they're not related
    Apple ][ didn't mention evolution.

I just took his statement as commentary on the behaviour of humans.
    caliapple ][