Biker burned by broken iPhone, seeks to raise battery danger awareness

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
Australian bicyclist Gareth Clear isn't blaming Apple for his injuries that he sustained after a fall-damaged iPhone battery burnt his leg. Instead, he seeks to increase awareness of the dangers of portable batteries, particularly when they are ruptured.

Clear fell of his bicycle after his foot slipped on the pedal just as he was about to start moving. "I just saw smoke coming out of my back pocket... and then?all of a sudden I felt this surging pain," he said. "I just remember looking at my leg and I had this black discharge all down my leg and this smell of phosphorus."

As a result of rupturing the battery, Clear suffered third degree burns on his upper right thigh, and had to have a skin graft to repair the damage.

Clear initially posted about the incident on Twitter, and recieved what he called a "mechanical" response from Apple. Since the response, likely automated, Clear has been contacted by Apple Australia about the incident.

Lithium-ion batteries are common in portable electronics due to a high energy density, and propensity to maintain a charge in periods of low use. Most portable electronics use lithium cobalt oxide for the best performance, but can be dangerous when disrupted by puncture or impact because of pressurization, and a flammable electrolyte.

Several required safety features in lithium-ion batteries provide protection to users. For charging, protective circuitry stops a charge to prevent an over-charge situation. Apple has criticized the use of third-party chargers, as quality is not always assured, and faulty chargers can damage the overcharge protection.

Another protective feature in a lithium ion battery is the battery containment itself. If a battery is compromised by overcharge, overheating, damage,or simply age, the inner cells can "outgas" the flammable electrolyte mixture. An undamaged membrane will stretch and bulge to contain this material to some extent.

Even in an enclosed iPhone, bulging from a damaged battery can be apparent. With enough outgassing, and an undamaged casing, a bulging battery is sufficiently durable to separate the screen of an iPhone from the rear case -- an intentional design feature implemented by Apple and other smartphone vendors.

Example of a screen deformed by a bulging battery

In Clear's case, the membrane integral to the battery was apparently broken by the impact, or the cells themselves caused too much outgassing in too short a time to contain it. As a result, what the battery industry calls a "runaway thermal reaction" likely began, which caused the battery material ejection and subsequent burn.

Clear doesn't blame Apple for the problem, in contrast to prior incidents involving combustion in batteries. Instead, he wants to raise a larger awareness of the potential danger of batteries installed in mobile devices.

"The more pervasive these are in our lives and the more people use them with a lack of apprehension that something might go wrong,?the more that these things will happen," Clear said to The Sydney Morning Herald.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Are people really not aware that a device or component that stores energy can be damaged and release that energy in unfortunate ways?
    [Deleted User]kingofsomewherehotjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 45
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I'm just amazed people carry their smartphone in their back pocket.  It just seems it would be common sense to comprehend that's a bad place to carry it.  And not just due to the potential for damage, but also it would make an easy target for a pickpocket.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 45
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Cue the blame the victim posts in 3...2...1...
    cnocbuimacgui
  • Reply 4 of 45
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    Condolences on your injury. Bravo for not attacking the manufacturer for an accident. Get well soon. 
    patchythepiratexiamenbilllinkmanDeelronuraharajustadcomics
  • Reply 5 of 45
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    eightzero said:

Yes because you can not fix stupid. Every day I see and talk to people who lack very basic common sense and these are not Teenagers who I expect that from. I surprised how often I hear the words "I did not expect that to happen" or "I did not think that would happen" and when I ask what did you think would happen, you get the blank steer or get the "not that"  
  • Reply 6 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I'm just amazed people carry their smartphone in their back pocket.  It just seems it would be common sense to comprehend that's a bad place to carry it.  And not just due to the potential for damage, but also it would make an easy target for a pickpocket.

I see it everywhere...I also cannot believe people think its fine to store their phone in their back pocket with 1/3 of it sticking out of the pocket. I hate to say it, but its mostly teenie bopper girls that do this. I'm not a person who would want to steal someone's phone but its just so tempting to grab it just as a lesson to them, but obviously you can't. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 7 of 45
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    On a related note, I am raising awareness for when you close your car door on your hand by mistake, as you forget to move your hand out of the way before the door closes. Specifically, I want to target the driver's side door. I will soon launch a Kickstarter to raise funds for a national advertising campaign. 

It's a shame that politicians haven't supported me on this, as I have tried many times to garner the support of my local representatives at the state and federal levels. 

If you don't support me, you are for the menace that is present on every vehicle today: the slamming driver's side door of death. How many hands/fingers are we going to lose before we do something? 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 8 of 45
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    I am sure his foot slipped off the pedal. Unless it was made out of flowers, in which case I suppose his foot did in fact slip off the petal.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    maestro64 said:
    eightzero said:

Yes because you can not fix stupid. Every day I see and talk to people who lack very basic common sense and these are not Teenagers who I expect that from. I surprised how often I hear the words "I did not expect that to happen" or "I did not think that would happen" and when I ask what did you think would happen, you get the blank steer or get the "not that"  
    You cannot fix grammar, spelling, punctuation, or capitalization rules either. 
    afrodricnocbuicrowleymacgui
  • Reply 10 of 45
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    eightzero said:

It's his fault, obviously. 

You damage your phone while it's close to your body. Connect the dots.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    ZooMigoZooMigo Posts: 35member
    I'm just surprised that so many people don't know batteries can be dangerous if damaged. It's been that way a long time, and we see many stories of burns and property damage. Care for your batteries people, you Heath may depend on it. 
  • Reply 12 of 45
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    On another blog this was spun as "thus proving that the iPhone is thin enough and shouldn't be made any thinner, which would increase the risk of a bend/break and battery breach". 
  • Reply 13 of 45
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    eightzero said:
    I don't see why.  He's not blaming anyone.  
  • Reply 14 of 45
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    eightzero said:
    I'm intrigued, who or what do you hold to blame for this man's mishap?

You describe him as a victim and in so doing so imply there's some perpetrating agent of his suffering.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    eightzero said:
    maestro64 said:

You can't fix being a troll either.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    yes good - awareness is always  a good thing - HOW ABOUT MOTORBIKE DANGERS TOO? Hmm 
  • Reply 17 of 45
    eightzero said:
    maestro64 said:
    eightzero said:

did that make you feel better... Remember no one ever die from a spelling error
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 18 of 45
    mtbnut said:
    On a related note, I am raising awareness for when you close your car door on your hand by mistake, as you forget to move your hand out of the way before the door closes. Specifically, I want to target the driver's side door. I will soon launch a Kickstarter to raise funds for a national advertising campaign. 

It's a shame that politicians haven't supported me on this, as I have tried many times to garner the support of my local representatives at the state and federal levels. 

If you don't support me, you are for the menace that is present on every vehicle today: the slamming driver's side door of death. How many hands/fingers are we going to lose before we do something? 

Oh you missed out the politician bought into the need for every car to have backup camera at the cost of 100's dollars to consumers because people let their kids run around the driveway when someone backuping the car and ran over their kid and now everyone must have a camera because people did think this could happen.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    eightzero said:
    Cue the troll @eightzero implying this only happens to iPhones.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Not just broken phones exhibit this behavior.  I had an old 3gs that was in storage, and the battery was expanding and forcing the front screen off.  Took it to the electronics recycler last week before it decided to catch fire on its own.