Oops: Microsoft leaks its Golden Key, unlocking Windows Secure Boot and exposing the danger of back

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    For real!? Can't believe it.. Is beyond f@&3d up.
    baconstang
  • Reply 22 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    jfc1138 said:
    SO awkward. 
    For Microsoft and Comey, yes. Quite the opposite for Apple and pro-privacy/strong-encryption advocates.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    rob53 said:
    yep, they go through the front .... I would like to see AI do a little bit of proofreading. Is that too much to expect AI?
    Apparently so. I've been commenting about their lack of care for ages. Lack of care in proofreading doesn't inspire much trust in content validity.

But then again, these days we have to hunt down sources and fact-check every damn piece of news we are presented, or risk being misinformed or outright lied to. Lovely how advertising-focused media puts the responsibility of content validity on the audience...
    baconstangbigRayz2016realjustinlong
  • Reply 24 of 44
    jbracy said:
    You've heard of the Surface right?
    Sure, sure.  Of course I have.  
    That's why I too hope that MS contacts the 10 people whom are impacted by this leak and tell them to trash their device and get iPads and Macs.
    I'm assuming that your saying 10 people because you've never heard of the PC gaming market which is pretty much dominated by Windows. They're not going to switch to an IPad or Macs, they play hard core games, not candy crush...

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=combined

edited August 2016 singularitycurt12
  • Reply 25 of 44
    AppleInsider said:...

Apple's serious approach to security has enabled the company to take a leading roll in supplying computing devices to enterprise buyers, one of the markets Windows Phone has made very little progress in, and a market segment that has purposely shunned the sloppy security associated with Google's Android.
    Here's hoping Daesh doesn't capture any of those Windows Phones our US military are using in Iraq and Syria. Oh wait! The US military no longer uses MS and Android phones and tablets in the field! Correct? Too insecure! You would think that would be a clue the FBI could fathom!
    baconstangcapasicumlostkiwi
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'd say Cook is clairvoyant, except for the fact that you'd have to be a complete idiot to think this wouldn't happen sooner or later. 
    ewtheckmanjbdragon
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    rob53 said:
    yep, they go through the front .... I would like to see AI do a little bit of proofreading. Is that too much to expect AI?
    Crib the information from other sites and get it out as fast as you can. If you don't then folk will read the copied story at another 'news aggregation' site and your site loses the ad clicks. 
    singularity
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Microsoft has demonstrated why the FBI's desire for "Golden Key" backdoors allowing "good guys" to bypass security is such a bad idea: it inadvertently released its own keys to Windows tablets, phones, HoloLens and other devices using UEFI Secure Boot.

Thereby demonstrating that security cannot hold a candle to user stupidity.
    ewtheckmanlostkiwijbdragon
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Macs use uefi Are Macs vulnerable?
  • Reply 30 of 44

"Apple's serious approach to security has enabled the company to take a leading roll in supplying computing devices to enterprise buyers..."
    And what 'roll' might that be?  King's Hawaiian? Brioche? Onion? Cinnamon?
  • Reply 31 of 44
    flyghtms said:
    Macs use uefi Are Macs vulnerable?
    Macs don't use UEFI. They use their own version of UEFI. They are not affected.
  • Reply 32 of 44

So, this exploit makes buying a Surface RT actually worthwhile, since I can put something else on it. :)

As for this being a mistake, the conspiracist in me almost says MS did it on purpose, to deliberately highlight why it's bad to have such "golden keys."  I'm not sure they're that selfless, though. :)

baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 44
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    JimVan said:

"Apple's serious approach to security has enabled the company to take a leading roll in supplying computing devices to enterprise buyers..."
    Drum roll.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 34 of 44
    This is the beginning of the end my friends .... 25 years shizza
  • Reply 35 of 44
    jbracy said:
    Sure, sure.  Of course I have.  
    That's why I too hope that MS contacts the 10 people whom are impacted by this leak and tell them to trash their device and get iPads and Macs.
    Oh Snap!
  • Reply 36 of 44

The bad part of all this is the Golden Key was printed on one of those stickers plastered ons.Windows Computers.

hexclock
  • Reply 37 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jbracy said:
    And all ten of its owners, yes.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    JimVan said:

Good Times.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    linkman said:
    The researchers involved in documenting Microsoft's screwup observed, "About the FBI: are you reading this? If you are, then this is a perfect real world example about why your idea of backdooring cryptosystems with a "secure golden key" is very bad! 
    I'm glad they said it. I would have said it but I doubt the FBI would pay much attention to me.
    Of course the US Government was paying attention. They were probably quietly working on this "backdoor" and everything got ruined like someone walking in early on a surprise party. Only with this the "surprise!" would have been in form of several figures dressed in dark clothing arriving right before no one would see the guest of honor ever again. 
  • Reply 40 of 44
    As an Enterprise Administrator i can assure you: there are still may systems running on XP, 2000, NT4 and (of course!) Windows7 - for good reason…
    tallest skil