Questionable photos of space black 'iPhone 7 Plus' appear online

Posted:
in iPhone
New photos of an alleged "iPhone 7 Plus" emerged over the weekend, but may be of a mockup instead, given past images from the same source.

The photos from "KK", shared by TechTastic, purport to show closeups of the "Plus" in a space black color. The device is depicted has having a rear-mounted Smart Connector, which recent rumors have been inconsistent about. More significantly it's labeled as an "S" variant, a term Apple is unlikely to use again having released the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus last September.

The camera bump may also be sized differently than in some previous leaks, and have smaller holes.

On the bottom of the phone's casing, there are indications of stressed or deformed material above the right screw-hole. The machined holes to the right of the Lightning port are clearly not the same size or relative location of those on the left hand side of the case.

The device/mockup may be the same one seen in less detail from photos from on August 11.

Apple is believed to be planning an iPhone event for early September. The new models, likely featuring the "A10" chipset and better camera technology, should become available a week or two later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    It's getting prettier.
    supadav03Deelron
  • Reply 2 of 30
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mejsric said:
    It's getting prettier.
    I agree. If you're going to have one, this is the color to get. It minimizes so many of the awkward design elements the lighter colors only seem to accentuate.
    supadav03Deelron
  • Reply 3 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Looks like a bad photoshop job. The perspective seems way off on the second photo. Maybe, it's just the photo, but the angle of the type on the back of the phone does not seem to match the angle of the phone itself.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Yes please. This what I want.
    supadav03Deelronbrakken
  • Reply 5 of 30
    No idea if it's legit or not but I really like the look. Overall that's a great looking phone. The space grey color, as it is now, is just too light for my liking. This is a definite improvement. I'd still prefer a true black but my eyes like what they see. 
    lmagoonolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It doesn't look very "space black". It looks like a slightly darker space grey.

And why the space moniker? I guess that sounds better than just plain "grey" or "black".

Everything needs to be fancy today.

A garbage man is no longer a garbage man, now they're a renovation worker.

Bread is no longer just bread. Now it's all "artisan" bread, and costs double the price.

Colors are no longer good enough to just be by themselves anymore, nowadays, they all need special monikers before the color, to make them sound better.

When I go to buy a shirt later on, I'm not going to be satisfied with a simple brown shirt, that's so plain and tired. No sir, I will be looking for an exclusive chihuahua poo brown shirt, that's the ticket!

roake
  • Reply 7 of 30
    the smart connector on all of these "leaked" devices has seemed fake to me, on the ipad the colour of the connector matches the body with outline of the circle being the different colour (dark grey on space model, white on gold/silver). The leaks just look like etched dots, and why would it have the [S] moniker :|.

all said and done tho, I'd still like a truly black (or damn close to it) iOS device.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I believe these photos are legit; although the smart connector looks a little fake.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    sog35 said:
    Apple should make Vantablack phones. 
    A material so dark it absorbs 99.99999999999999% of light
    The logo and other printed stuff would be cool in Vantablack.  
    But the whole phone?  It would look like a mini monolith.
    edited August 2016 cali
  • Reply 10 of 30
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    I really hope these come with a Lightning-to-3.5mm headphone adapter. Just yesterday we set up a child's toy that required we connect it to the headphone jack of one of our phones. The whole time I couldn't help but think "It's a good thing none of us have an iPhone 7..."
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 30
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    apple ][ said:

And why the space moniker? I guess that sounds better than just plain "grey" or "black".

Bread is no longer just bread. Now it's all "artisan" bread, and costs double the price.

Colors are no longer good enough to just be by themselves anymore, nowadays, they all need special monikers before the color, to make them sound better.

When I go to buy a shirt later on, I'm not going to be satisfied with a simple brown shirt, that's so plain and tired. No sir, I will be looking for an exclusive chihuahua poo brown shirt, that's the ticket!

more ignorance. artisan products are a very real thing -- much better, and thus more expensive, than Wonder Bread or typical grocery store mass productions.

as for "space grey", i would gather it was a replacement for "gun metal grey".
    williamlondonDeelroncalifastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 30
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ktappe said:
    I really hope these come with a Lightning-to-3.5mm headphone adapter. Just yesterday we set up a child's toy that required we connect it to the headphone jack of one of our phones. The whole time I couldn't help but think "It's a good thing none of us have an iPhone 7..."
    it won't ship w/ an adapter. you will certainly be able to buy an adapter for your legacy needs.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 30
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    This looks fake to me. iPhones no longer have inscriptions of the regulatory agencies on their back.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:

more ignorance. artisan products are a very real thing -- much better, and thus more expensive, than Wonder Bread or typical grocery store mass productions.

as for "space grey", i would gather it was a replacement for "gun metal grey".
    And what was wrong with "gun metal grey?". When I think of space grey, I think of a color that is much, much darker than the current space grey. You would think that space would be associated with darkness.

Oh, I forgot, we're talking about the same people who were in favor of replacing the gun emoji with a colorful water gun emoji instead, like that's going to make a difference to anything or anybody in this world. :#
  • Reply 15 of 30
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Now if apple made black lighting cables to match
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 30
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    holyone said:
    Now if apple made black lighting cables to match
    There are some fine alternatives out there.  Monoprice's Luxe series comes to mind.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Heralds the advancement of humanity or forces same? I think Apple would be good with the 2001 "monolith" reference.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Heralds the advancement of humanity or forces same? I think Apple would be good with the 2001 "monolith" reference.

The proportions are all wrong, though. A phone in 1:4:9 would be too thick.

That mock-up still has the Smart Connector in the wrong place.

• Reply 19 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mejsric said:
    It's getting prettier.
    Now if they can remove the regulatory...
  • Reply 20 of 30
    mike1 said:
    Looks like a bad photoshop job. The perspective seems way off on the second photo. Maybe, it's just the photo, but the angle of the type on the back of the phone does not seem to match the angle of the phone itself.
    They are photoshopped. The phone may actually look like this, but these are not actual photos. The second one you can see the distortions where the antenna band was at the top. The third looks like the worst fake to me. The light coming from under the phone on the left side is completely wrong. The speaker holes on the left are not consistent with the holes on the right. There is some sloppy cloning work around the top right of the lightning connector. I'm no expert, but I would have worked a little longer on those areas to make them look more consistent / realistic.