Turkey's deputy PM encourages Apple to move in wake of EU tax ruling

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 98
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What an evil woman.


    netmagelatifbp
  • Reply 42 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,426member
    I was there last year and most business people I spoke to were a bit ticked off they were rejected but then went on to say in hindsight they were glad they were.  At that time their economy was doing way better than many EU countries.  The complication for the west in all this of course is Turkey guarding the only access the Russia Navy has to Sevastopol.  It's a choke hold the west needs to keep and bribery, sorry I mean negotiations will be needed I'm sure.  NATO membership already gained so what's next absent EU membership I wonder.
    Turkey became a nato  signatory in 1952
    What part of 'already gained' was not clear?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 43 of 98
    croprcropr Posts: 1,053member
    If Ireland changes their laws or if the EU changes laws that disallow Apple to continue using this legal loophole across the EU (which would also affect countries other companies) then they have a right to do so, but I don't get how they can ethically back-charge a company for maximizing their use of the current tax law.
    The EU seems to be going out on a limb on this one by using the "state-aid" charge as the basis for the tax ruling. That requires them to make the case that the tax break provided Apple with a competitive advantage in the electronics market vs. other companies, which doesn't sound like an easy task considering how successful Apple has been in selling it's products outside the EU. 
    The state aid gave Ireland a illegal competitive advantage to seduce Apple to put its European HQ in Ireland.
  • Reply 44 of 98
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    I was there last year and most business people I spoke to were a bit ticked off they were rejected but then went on to say in hindsight they were glad they were.  At that time their economy was doing way better than many EU countries.  The complication for the west in all this of course is Turkey guarding the only access the Russia Navy has to Sevastopol.  It's a choke hold the west needs to keep and bribery, sorry I mean negotiations will be needed I'm sure.  NATO membership already gained so what's next absent EU membership I wonder.
    Turkey became a nato  signatory in 1952
    What part of 'already gained' was not clear?
    The impression imho was that you were implying becoming a nato signatory was a recent events.  Apologies given.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    croprcropr Posts: 1,053member
    apple ][ said:
    This is yet another case of the dictatorial EU dictating their dictatorial ways to their slave countries and their subjects, in this case Ireland.

    Apple made a deal in good faith with Ireland, and now the EU comes along and tells Ireland that the deal is invalid. 

    The Irish are slaves to the EU, and the Irish are not in control of their own country.

    They should get the hell out of the EU, if they were smart.

    And Apple needs to set up shop in a place that controls their own destiny and is actually in charge of their own affairs.


    If you were smart, you wouldn't post such silly things.

    At least 50% of the foreign investments in Ireland are made because Ireland is a EU member state.  If Ireland leaves the EU, it would simply collapse

    Do you really think that the financial experts of Apple were not aware of the risks they were taking when the agreement with the Irish tax administration was made?  You are extremely naive.

    cnocbuisingularitysricewilliamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 98
    I'd rather have my company based in a country that's not ruled by a heavy-handed dictator.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 47 of 98
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    cropr said:
     You are extremely naive.

    We'll see who the naive one ends up being.

    I think that it's the EU who is very naive, and quite foolish.

    Tim Cook has already threatened to cut jobs in Europe, and good for him! Go Tim Cook! :#

    Destroy them and crush them! 

  • Reply 48 of 98
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    may be should come to Canada (regardless the political wind blow what direction).  weather is cooler, better for the heat dissipation of powerful processor.  dryer than most of the Ireland, less corrosion problem of the device... potato as good as the ireland.  health care is universal.... Hmmm, may be not... - mad that my invitation is lost in mail... ;-(. 
  • Reply 49 of 98
    "The problem with socialism eventually socialists run out of other people's money." -  Margaret Thacher

    apple ][jbdragonnetmage
  • Reply 50 of 98
    crowleycrowley Posts: 9,082member
    srice said:
    I say Apple should tell the EU they'll be relocating to Britain now that they're out of the EU.
    They would still need to pay EU taxes on revenues obtained in the EU.

    I blame the Big Four -- they are shills and sell fancy financial tricks to save $$, collect their fees and run.  5 years later the taxman comes a calling and demands taxes owed. By then the Big Four are long gone.  Corporations should take the Big Fours tricks with a pile of salt. 
    I agree about the culpability of tax advisers and auditors.

    There does seem to be some movement to remedy that though:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/17/firms-giving-advice-on-aggressive-tax-avoidance-could-face-large-fines
  • Reply 51 of 98
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,246member
    Grimzahn said:
    Violating the law and then moving would make me switch to Android.  Going to watch veryt closely Mr Cooks stance and actions.
    You do realize Google is doing the exact same thing as Apple!!!  They just haven't gotten their EU fine yet!!! 
    williamlondonSolinetmage
  • Reply 52 of 98
    jbdragon said:
    Grimzahn said:
    Violating the law and then moving would make me switch to Android.  Going to watch veryt closely Mr Cooks stance and actions.
    You do realize Google is doing the exact same thing as Apple!!!  They just haven't gotten their EU fine yet!!! 
    Damn... spoiler..... ;-)
  • Reply 53 of 98
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,032member
    jbdragon said:
    Grimzahn said:
    Violating the law and then moving would make me switch to Android.  Going to watch veryt closely Mr Cooks stance and actions.
    You do realize Google is doing the exact same thing as Apple!!!  They just haven't gotten their EU fine yet!!! 
    I doubt he cares about facts. It sounds like he just came here to troll against Apple.
    netmage
  • Reply 54 of 98
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,678member
    cropr said:
    apple ][ said:
    This is yet another case of the dictatorial EU dictating their dictatorial ways to their slave countries and their subjects, in this case Ireland.

    Apple made a deal in good faith with Ireland, and now the EU comes along and tells Ireland that the deal is invalid. 

    The Irish are slaves to the EU, and the Irish are not in control of their own country.

    They should get the hell out of the EU, if they were smart.

    And Apple needs to set up shop in a place that controls their own destiny and is actually in charge of their own affairs.


    If you were smart, you wouldn't post such silly things.

    At least 50% of the foreign investments in Ireland are made because Ireland is a EU member state.  If Ireland leaves the EU, it would simply collapse

    Do you really think that the financial experts of Apple were not aware of the risks they were taking when the agreement with the Irish tax administration was made?  You are extremely naive.

    Since the EU has retrospectively changed the law they couldn't have been. 
    netmage
  • Reply 55 of 98
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,678member
    apple ][ said:
    cropr said:
     You are extremely naive.

    We'll see who the naive one ends up being.

    I think that it's the EU who is very naive, and quite foolish.

    Tim Cook has already threatened to cut jobs in Europe, and good for him! Go Tim Cook! :#

    Destroy them and crush them! 

    When did he say that? 

    I think he said the lack of tax certainty may cause issues for investment in the future. 

    I have no doubt this is a largely anti-US crusade by the EU. It's hard to believe that they couldn't find a way to apply the state aid law retrospectively to European HQ'ed companies but they haven't. 

    I meant european countries have real tax havens - like jersey in the UK. Banks move money around Europe all the time. The investigations are (with the exception of Fiat) all US companies. 
    netmage
  • Reply 56 of 98
    wigby said:
    AdBrit said:
    In the end, all this is Apple trying to avoid paying taxes, something all of us do compliantly without begging for exception. Apple and other Corporations are simply moochers of a countries wealth whether that be the consumer's dollars or the consumer's labour. They are transient welfare bums.
    Please show me someone who willingly pays as much tax as they can. I do not and you do not. Tax loopholes and accountants exist because we are all human and want to spend our own money instead of giving into others to waste.

    If your tax rate dropped to .05% tomorrow, you would gladly pass less and then complain when it was unfairly raised. This situation is no different than the deal that Ireland (not Apple) allegedly created.
    If everyone paid less than 1% in tax, I'm fairly sure everyone would start complaining after not long, once the schools, hospitals and prisons started closing. The trouble is that Apple, being the largest corporation on the planet, actually has an impact on national budgets when they don't pay tax. The rest of us have to make up for what Apple, Google and Amazon don't pay.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 57 of 98
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,032member
    wigby said:
    Please show me someone who willingly pays as much tax as they can. I do not and you do not. Tax loopholes and accountants exist because we are all human and want to spend our own money instead of giving into others to waste.

    If your tax rate dropped to .05% tomorrow, you would gladly pass less and then complain when it was unfairly raised. This situation is no different than the deal that Ireland (not Apple) allegedly created.
    The rest of us have to make up for what Apple, Google and Amazon don't pay.
    If you're an Apple, Google or Amazon customer you're also making up for what they do pay.
    netmage
  • Reply 58 of 98
    I say Apple should tell the EU they'll be relocating to Britain now that they're out and Apple should simply refuse to pay that extortionate and fraudulent bill. 
    They can relocate and refuse but then they won't be able to sell in the EU...
  • Reply 59 of 98
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    There is no chance of Turkey being in the EU this decade
    I was there last year and most business people I spoke to were a bit ticked off they were rejected but then went on to say in hindsight they were glad they were.  At that time their economy was doing way better than many EU countries.  The complication for the west in all this of course is Turkey guarding the only access the Russia Navy has to Sevastopol.  It's a choke hold the west needs to keep and bribery, sorry I mean negotiations will be needed I'm sure.  NATO membership already gained so what's next absent EU membership I wonder.
    I don't understand west's obsession with Russia. Personally, I'm more worried with growth of radicals in middle-east, which Turkey just might be a big part of.

    Additionally... in any real crisis, I cannot see Turkey being really able to guard that access. Not to mention that they seem to be keen on switching sides or, at least, sitting on two chairs, for as much as it benefits them. How long did it take them to hug and kiss with Putin, after grounding that Russian jet?

    I don't see them as valuable and trustworthy partner, not under current management at least.

  • Reply 60 of 98
    Yeah, go ahead, Timmy, relocate the damn company to Turkey.  Try and scam yet another nation out of paying your taxes.
    cnocbui
Sign In or Register to comment.