• Reply 21 of 48
    feis-sist

n.

feis-sism

n

feis-sis'-tic

adj.

a. When your 15 minutes of fame gets out of control

b. A term used to describe the oppressive, dictatorial control that young girls can have over older men with pc's. (used with irony)

c. A subcultural philosophy or movement catalysed by an occurence at Apple.

To be referring to Ellen Feiss.

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: superbook ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 48
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    [quote]Infinity loop<hr></blockquote>

hell... that was a spelling error... honestly!!!
  • Reply 23 of 48
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Wow. Had forgotten this one. Lets keep adding here and maybe someone will make it into a real AI FAQ.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    A greatest thread section would be great.

A few come into mind.

The "repair harddisk" thread.

The "Mercury rising (" thread

The "debunk iWalk v.2 in 30 minutes" thread

And a member section too.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

A greatest thread section would be great.

A few come into mind.

The "repair harddisk" thread.

The "Mercury rising (" thread

The "debunk iWalk v.2 in 30 minutes" thread

And a member section too.

And the "Apple Hypes MWSF" thread
  • Reply 26 of 48
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    and the WWDC G5 leak thread

I'm also partial to the corporate firebombing thread in AO
  • Reply 27 of 48
    WorkerBee - Steved for leaking his kleenex box
  • Reply 28 of 48
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Gumdrop : Affectionate name for the CRT iMac line.

Luxo or Luxo Jr. : (Somewhat) affectionate name for the LCD iMac. In homage to Pixar's swivel-lamp mascot.

Smurf or Papa Smurf: (Somewhat) affectionate name for the Blue & White G3 tower.

Slowsilver : (Not so) affectionate name for the Quicksilver G4 tower.

Wind Tunnel : (Not so) affectionate name for the MDD G4 tower.

Cheese Grater : (Undecidedly) affectionate name for the G5 tower.

Hockey Puck : Downright unaffectionate term for the original CRT iMac mouse.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    c&d: cease and desist [letter(s)]. sometimes sent by his steveness to sites hosting pics/stories about rumors of actual credibility. sometimes sites lie about receiving c&ds to boost the apparent credibility of their sources.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    harrydude : An annoying AI member (or he was a member for a very brief period) who made his grand entrance by insulting some of AI's brightest and longest-standing members.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Not to single out anyone here, but can we keep everything looking like internationally recognized English, with correct punctuation, spelling, and grammar? I'm sure that it would certainly mean a lot to whatever damned soul will try to compile all of the info. I may help with that effort if someone asks me politely enough.

Digital Audio: Name referring to (when combined with Power Mac) the last generation of graphite Power Mac G4 towers. They were the first models to breach the 500MHz barrier, utilize 133MHz busses, and include SuperDrives (DVD-R and CD-RW.) Available in stock configurations using single processors at speeds of 466, 533, 667, and 733MHz, these were the first Apple computers to come with Motorola's XPC7450 chip. A build-to-order dual 533MHz machine was also made available. Announced: January 2001.

Also: DA.

Gigabit Ethernet: Name referring to (when combined with Power Mac) third generation graphite Power Mac G4 towers. The main differences from Sawtooth were the inclusion of gigabit ethernet and dual processors, with options of DP 450 and 500MHz. A single processor 400MHz machine was also offered. Announced: July of 2000.

Also: Mystic.

Sawtooth: Code name referring to the second generation graphite Power Mac G4 towers, those that came in speeds from 350-500MHz and featured new motherboards built around the G4 which included AGP graphics. Announced: September 1999.

Yikes!: Code name referring to the original graphite PowerMac G4s, which came in speeds of 350-400MHz and were the first computers from Apple to feature the G4 chip. These machines were noted for essentially being the older Power Mac G3, only with graphite accents and the G4 chip in place of the G3. Announced: September 1999.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Moof!
  • Reply 33 of 48
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Moof!

For more information about Clarus and his signature expression (there's even a sound clip!), clicky click.

Edit: Just a thought, but wouldn't this thread serve well as a sticky (until a real faq about this kinda stuff is ever created)?
  • Reply 34 of 48
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Leaf-Blower = MDD = Mirrored Drive Doors = last revision of the G4 desktops (probably)

Lapzilla = 17" powerbook

<edit> botched reference to MiniMe taken out \ </edit>
  • Reply 35 of 48
    (existence and/or removal of) Debug Code: Almost every 1.0 software from Apple is a bit on the slow side, probably due to the "first make it work. Then make it fast (optimising)"-philosophy. But the slowness is often humorously attributed to the existence of debug code. Most prevalent when talking about Mac OS X which was very slow in the 10.0.X era compared to 9.X. With the next version of Mac OS X It is believed that the debug code has been removed three times since 10.0
  • Reply 36 of 48
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Mini-Me = the funny midget OR his 12" power book

Verne Troyer, of Mini-Me fame, has a 17" PowerBook in the 12" and 17" PowerBook ad; the tall guy, Yao Ming, has the 12" PowerBook.

Related to Debug Code is Snappy?. I beleive that this is related to when earlier versions of Mac OS X (before Jaguar) weren't quite as fast as Mac OS 9 but I can't remember the original source (MacWorld Keynote/WWDC session?). Of course, people hoped that Mac OS X would become Snappier? as debug code was removed.

WWDC: World Wide Developers Conference, where Apple holds sessions on developing software for the Mac and showcases new products of interest to developers (and sometimes everyone else, like the PowerMac G5 )

Jagwire: Steve Jobs pronounced "Jaguar" (the codename for Mac OS 10.2) as if it had a "w' in it.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Brushed Metal: The non-standard application appearance (instead of Aqua) used in some Apple and third party applications. Loved by some, cursed by (many? most?) others...

BTW, what does MDD stand for? I've always wondered. Mini-Desktop ____? I searched google some time ago to no avail.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    MDD stands for Mirror Drive Door(s), due to the optical drives being behind reflective doors on "new" PowerMac G4s.

RSN: an unreleased product (usually highly anticipated) in question is due to arrive Real Soon Now, which could be tomorrow, next quarter or never.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    This is a good thread, and one that I've called for on several occasions. When/if it goes into a standalone FAQ or even a stickie, we should break it into some categories:

- Apple (Schiller, Ive, MW "bake-offs", RDF, workerbee, "getting steved", etc.)

- Hardware (code names, nicknames, etc.)

- Software

- General tech/geek (Bluetooth, DDR, etc.)

- AppleInsider (phrases, events, individuals, goofiness, etc. that is specific to this site/forum)

...and any others that might make sense as things roll along.

Group this stuff into easy-to-navigate/search major headings.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    How about a section for allegedly 'real' insiders of the past?

Inclusions could include such person/persons known on the boards as 'Dorsal', Worker Bee et al...

Peace,

Marc