Google Pixel revealed by resellers, shows remarkable similarity to iPhone design

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Dear Google, Go FUCK YOURSELF. duckduckgo.com use duckduckgo.com the search engine that doesn't track/sell you.
    baconstangcaliwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 42 of 84
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    sog35 said:
    I'm curious why all these POS brands can release super HD OLED screens and Apple can't?
    Putting in even more resolution than the eye can resolve only wastes battery. That OLED thing may be a matter of taste, but I have yet to see an OLED screen on a mobile device that is not oversaturated and fake-looking. No idea if this is a technical issue, or just lack of proper calibration ex factory. But since I can't really calibrate a mobile myself... what's the difference? And judging by the Apple Watch (pre first generation)... OLED does not really help with visibility in daylight either. The screen on the new 7 Plus is the best I have ever seen on a mobile device. It has no peers. No idea why you want worse?
    Habi_tweetcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 84
    dreyfus2 said:
    sog35 said:
    I'm curious why all these POS brands can release super HD OLED screens and Apple can't?
    Putting in even more resolution than the eye can resolve only wastes battery. That OLED thing may be a matter of taste, but I have yet to see an OLED screen on a mobile device that is not oversaturated and fake-looking. No idea if this is a technical issue, or just lack of proper calibration ex factory. But since I can't really calibrate a mobile myself... what's the difference? And judging by the Apple Watch (pre first generation)... OLED does not really help with visibility in daylight either. The screen on the new 7 Plus is the best I have ever seen on a mobile device. It has no peers. No idea why you want worse?
    OLED is stil a superior technology to backlit LCDs. 

I beg to differ regarding the iPhone 7+ having the best screen on a mobile device. The screen resolution and brightness on the Apple Watch 2 beats the 7+. 

When Apple releases the next iPhone with the OLED panel, it will be properly calibrated and will allow Apple to push the boundaries of the phone even further. I very seriously doubt the Apple watch would be nearly as elegant with an LCD panel. 

To say that OLED would be a worse solution is quite ignorant. Apple has done wonders with LCD technolgy. I won't argue with that. But OLED is still better and the technolgy is still quite new. 

Apple did not include OLED panels in their current devices because there is no company that could meet the demand. But OLED is still coming to the iPhone and iPad. It's just a matter of time. 
  • Reply 44 of 84
    IMHO, putting any control on the back of a device that is not moulded to fit your hand is a huge mistake.
    You grip the device and if you are going to need to press something that is out of sight then you need to be able to find it with feel only.
    Just a difference in texture of the surface is not enough for many people. You need a bigger difference to make the selection positive. Yes a bump or some such thing. PErhaps a place where your finger fits naturally.
    But you have people using the device in their left hand and others in their right hand. You have to cater for that.
    Then (if Apple) you can select any of your 10 digits + nose to unlock the device you have to be able to cater for that.
    Suddenly, the whole concept gets orders of magnitude harder.
    And that's without people who use a case to protect their valuable device.

As a mechancial engineer who studied Bio-Mechanics back in the day, this is a no brainer for me to say that this is a non starter in the wider world.
    If Apple went down this route then I'd be off to another brand. To me the little topic that seems to be mostly forgotten in tech design these days is 'Easy of Use'. If you can't make it easy to use then you are failing your customers.
    Just my useless $0.02 worth.

caliwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 45 of 84
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    IMHO, putting any control on the back of a device that is not moulded to fit your hand is a huge mistake.
    You grip the device and if you are going to need to press something that is out of sight then you need to be able to find it with feel only.
    Just a difference in texture of the surface is not enough for many people. You need a bigger difference to make the selection positive. Yes a bump or some such thing. PErhaps a place where your finger fits naturally.
    But you have people using the device in their left hand and others in their right hand. You have to cater for that.
    Then (if Apple) you can select any of your 10 digits + nose to unlock the device you have to be able to cater for that.
    Suddenly, the whole concept gets orders of magnitude harder.
    And that's without people who use a case to protect their valuable device.

As a mechancial engineer who studied Bio-Mechanics back in the day, this is a no brainer for me to say that this is a non starter in the wider world.
    If Apple went down this route then I'd be off to another brand. To me the little topic that seems to be mostly forgotten in tech design these days is 'Easy of Use'. If you can't make it easy to use then you are failing your customers.
    Just my useless $0.02 worth.

I have a Nexus 5X, with the roughly the same design for the fingerprint sensor and the issue you describe is non existent.  If you grab the phone, the index finger (right and/or left) finds the sensor very naturally and without error.  No need to press anything.   Bear in mind that this is not the home bottom, which is still a virtual button at the front.  Once the phone is unlocked you no longer need the sensor at the back.  If I hold the phone in my hand this works as easy as on my iPhone6. 
    Of course I can unlock my iPhone6 with my finger while it rests on my desk, which I can't with my Nexus 5X
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 46 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    won't actually make your penis bigger
    But… Apple promised (note the address)!

• Reply 47 of 84
    birkobirko Posts: 60member
    We will know more tonight, but I don't believe these images are the new pixel / nexus. Both HTC and Google have moved away from physical buttons on front of phone and towards small upper and lower bezels without physical keys. Why so much room around screen if no physical keys? Just makes the phone unnecessarily big.

The back does look decidedly HTC, except most of their cameras have been raised in the past.

And then it is how stupid Google will look if they come out with a phone that has a front design so close to iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    uroshnor said:
    Uhh no. There are more OLEDs on phones in circulation than iPhones. Apple makes their money using old technology which can be purchased for cheap, then optimizing their software to run on these cheap machines that sell at a premium. HTC and Apple signed an agreement, which allows for the companies to copy each other, which is why so may iPhones have been adopting HTCs look. I just hope the new phone comes with HTCs DAC, which offers the best sound quality of any phone on the market. While iOS is more efficient on cheaper machines, I still gravitate to Android for its Customizability, versatility, and flexibility. I also don't like the idea of being trapped in an ecosystem, people should be allowed to chose default apps, and not have them chosen for them. I do hope that Apple learns that people are different, think different, and not just a bunch of lemmings.
    So there's a pretty standard collection of meme's in that, but what the heck, I'll feed the troll:

1. Apple's IPS displays are't cheap & old tech. They routinely out-perform OLED in terms of colour range and correctness. That is kind of handy if you are shooting and editing photos on the camera. Third party supply chain analysis and third party screen analysis confirms this. 

2. Yes they are lower resolution than some Android phones. Problem is, they are already higher resolution than what most of the population can see at normal phone viewing distances. So going to a 4K screen mostly makes no difference except slower graphics (as the GPU is overloaded) , and the need for a bigger battery (due to the power drain). The one area where having a 4K screen does help is VR, , which right now is a very niche use-case (but it is important for a small fraction of users).

3. The chase screen size spec -> bigger battery -> bigger phone is a massive driver in many Android designs. Even high end Android phones might not be able to drive their screen at more than 15-20 FPS, whereas iPhones are in 60+. Because the Android vendors cheaped out on GPU.

4. Despite throwing 8 core CPU at the problem, Android phones still lag iPhone in CPU performance - even though A series CPU are usually 2 or 4 core. And that doesn't factor in that Apple ships GPU that crush virtually everything else on the market, AND makes it easy for the developer to use the GPU for general purpose computation  in conjunction with the CPU.

5. Apple believes that vertically integrated is a necessity, not a choice, so it's always going to be a walled garden of some sort.

6. The great thing about Android is choice. Or more correctly, the appearance of choice. Android is so diverse, anything you want to say about it it, is both true and false at the same time. 

7. There is one thing you can't choose with mainstream Android, and that's the product. Why ? Because the product is you. There are Android forks that don't treat the user as the product but they are without Google, and eitherr very expensive e.g. Boeing Blackphone, or borderline going out of business eg Silent Circle.

8. In most cases, the real customization & versatility comes from the Apps you run, not tweaking the user interface. There are't really equivalents to things like HealthKit, ResearchKit and CareKit on Android for example. Very frequently , if an App exists on both iOS, and Android, it has greater functionality on iOS. The value in being able to tinker, where Android is usually easier, applies to a much narrower slice of the population. 

9. Apple's Accessibility features are market leading, and vastly ahead of a Android.

if you can park the malware & privacy issues , and it works for you, then that's great. But the popularity of Android isn't driven by what it can do for the user. It's driven by what it can do for carriers, advertising companies , and handset vendors, at the expense of the user.

I'll stop channeling DED now.
    Well said. 
    watto_cobracaliargonaut
  • Reply 49 of 84
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:
    Because there is no supplier who can meet Apple’s quantity demands at this time. The other so-called flagship phones combined don’t equal the demand for the iPhone. Suppliers simply cannot make enough OLED screens for Apple.
    There are important both conditions. Quantity in Apple required quality/parameters. That is reason why Foxcon invested in Sharp.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    Uhh no. There are more OLEDs on phones in circulation than iPhones. While iOS is more efficient on cheaper machines, I still gravitate to Android for its Customizability, versatility, and flexibility. I also don't like the idea of being trapped in an ecosystem, people should be allowed to chose default apps, and not have them chosen for them. I do hope that Apple learns that people are different, think different, and not just a bunch of lemmings.
    Please look around a bit before screaming out such misinformation. OLED and good OLED is not the same. There can be plenty of them. And look on screen tests. You could read about it here on AI.

And when you exchange default app for third party you would probably gave up some security standard as you do when you install third party keyboard. And therefore buy Android in case it is important for you because Apple is not going to do that by my opinion.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobracali
  • Reply 51 of 84
    Why no 2K screens on 4.7 inch phones? Oh I don't know, maybe because I won't actually make your penis bigger like you seem to think it will. The iPhone's screen is more and more colour accurate each year, and it's as sharp as anyone's eyes need at a reasonable distance. This also means that the processor and GPU aren't wasting power rendering more detail than you can perceive.
    You spend too much time worrying about your penis size. You really can't imagine any benefit to having a larger screen? I assume you have a 14in TV in your living room? Or are you compensating for something?

In terms of res, you're forgetting VR
  • Reply 52 of 84
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    sog35 said:
    Because you're pushing more pixels for what reason? You can't even see the difference. You're requiring more data for graphics to fill the screen, etc. Apple uses higher quality displays that respond faster with more accurate color. Engineering is all about choosing between compromises and I don't understand why there's a need for a 5" 4K screen when you're bloody eyes can't see the difference.
    watto_cobracaliargonautpscooter63
  • Reply 53 of 84
    I wonder what the camera will be like. iMore did a blind camera test and the Galaxy S7 beat out iPhone 7 by a lot.

http://www.imore.com/best-smartphone-camera
    gatorguy
  • Reply 54 of 84
    I wonder what the camera will be like. iMore did a blind camera test and the Galaxy S7 beat out iPhone 7 by a lot.

I find it amazing that people look at ONE aspect and think, well the Galaxy S7 is soo much better because it has a better camera.  So?  What about the other thousand things that go into a phone?  Get real.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Two things:

1) so... the Pixel isn't a a chromebook?

2) another rip-off of an older iPhone design that can't even match the Apple elegance of two years ago. 

Google led needs to read some iBooks on branding, stat!
    Yeah right? That would be like calling the new iPhone a MacBook. This makes no sense. It's like they found the word Pixel is interesting but nobody bought the actual thing called pixel so they repurposed the word for something different. The Nexus brand doesn't work anymore since they've found only neckbeards think that's cool.
    cali
  • Reply 56 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    kevin kee said:
    HTC came out with aluminum and those antenna lines before Apple.
    It's not just 'aluminium and antenna lines', they have a purpose in the design. Apple use superior aluminium and superior signal reception, both are results of years of R&D in their HQ lab, not because some company use them first.
    I've not seen comparisons of either the aluminum alloys used  nor signal reception strengths. Without an authoritative source it sounds like a guess. 

kevin kee said:

no camera bump.
    So? Does iPhone tilted when sit flat on its back? Superior camera requires room to fit in.
    Isn't the camera bump more a requirement for thin casings and not necessarily better camera? FWIW there's other cameras rated equally as good as the iPhone's yet lacking a camera bump isn't there?
  • Reply 57 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

I was a tiny bit surprised by the results. iMore and their members certainly can't be accused of being Apple haters. 
  • Reply 58 of 84
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    "Hey HTC...design a phone that looks so close to an iPhone so that an uninformed customer might confused the two and buy ours instead. Make sure you even include similar looking bezels, even though ours serve no purpose whatsoever."

cali
  • Reply 59 of 84
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    AI_lias said:
    This design is superior to the iPhones, unfortunately. First off, HTC came out with aluminum and those antenna lines before Apple. 
    Except that Apple didn't copy HTC's design, whereas HTC's Pixel has obviously copied the iPhone 6 design. 
    cali
  • Reply 60 of 84
    sog35 said:
    Because unlike all of these other vendors, Apple's volumes are beyond the capacity available for these displays. What's Google need for this phone? Maybe 5 to 10 million displays if they are lucky?
    calitmay