Apple's iPhone 7 handily outperforms new Google Pixel in early benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:
    So when are we going to start to hear about the Google Tax?

iPhones sell for $650 to $869
    Google Pixel sells for the EXACT same amount.

Yet I don't hear a single wisper from the castrated tech media about a GOOGLE TAX
    What google is doing, they attempting to say their product is just as good as apple thus the price, they are attempting to get out of the race to the bottom. They have a fan base which will pay the price no matter what just because it is google. The only advantage the phone will have is the fact you can get upgrades when Google makes them available unlike the balance of the Android world. Not sure this strategy will work, but a good try on their part.
    What Google is doing is good to Apple.  Previously the strongest argument of Apple haters is iPhone price is a ripoff.  Now the chief is selling an iPhone knockoff at the same price as iPhone.  This will really choke off the anti-Apple media especially Forbes. 
    bigaderutterlordjohnwhorfinbaconstangcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    RezRez Posts: 19member
    Finally, Android fans will have an Iphone like. Antenna lines, thumb sensor, etc. I thought it's an iphone 6 for a moment...yahoooooo
    big
  • Reply 23 of 45
    So it's kinda like an iPhone 6/6Plus performancewise (actually a little less) at the price of the iPhone 7/7Plus. With all the joy and malware of the Android platform. Well done Google, that will show those Apple fanbois.
    badmonkbaconstangcaliHerbivore2kevin keewatto_cobrabrakken
  • Reply 24 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:

Yet I don't hear a single wisper from the castrated tech media about a GOOGLE TAX
    What google is doing, they attempting to say their product is just as good as apple thus the price, they are attempting to get out of the race to the bottom. They have a fan base which will pay the price no matter what just because it is google. The only advantage the phone will have is the fact you can get upgrades when Google makes them available unlike the balance of the Android world. Not sure this strategy will work, but a good try on their part.
    TBH I've no idea why Google would price these new phones so high. the only thing I can come up with is they DON'T want more than a very few million sold for the time being since they've a lot of support structure that's new and untested, and features that require a lot of new background cloud and AI services. Otherwise I can't imagine why the high prices. I know I'd personally never consider one of these IMO way-overpriced devices, tho to be fair any phone priced higher than $500 is to me a bit ridiculous as most folks only play a few games, take a few pics, answer a few calls and otherwise spend far too much time on social sites. A sub-$400 phone would serve them equally as well as a $750+ flagship that never gets used near to it's capabilities anyway.

Heck I bought my son a throwaway Huawei 5x (he's rough on phones) for less than $190 brand new that so far has handled every game or social app very well, has good sound, great battery life and renders pretty nice pictures on a darn good screen (and yes even got updated to the latest Android version several weeks ago.).  He's had zero complaints. Who cares if it's not worth a whole lot when it's time to get rid of it, or if it ends up at the bottom of a lake as one of his previous phones did? It didn't cost a whole lot to buy it.  Personally my days of paying silly prices for features I don't need or use or trying to impress people ( I was driving my Beemer 740i the other day. . . ) I don't count as friends anyway with specs or name-dropping is over. $800 for a smartphone? Ain't smart, ain't happinin'. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 25 of 45
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:

There's so far up Google's ass it isn't even funny. The Verge called this phone "refined. They ran a whole long puff piece about Google the phone maker as if this is the first time Google has done this. And just today they have on their front page a Walt Mossberg article calling this a bold move that is shaking up the industry (excuse me while I laugh).
    badmonkbaconstangwilliamlondoncali
  • Reply 26 of 45
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    And now you have Microsoft copying Apple in the peripherals department. Paul Thurrott says they don't deserve the Surface brand. Ouch. 

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/82644/surface-hardware-leaks-ahead-event-no-not-surface-hardware

edited October 2016
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Why would someone buy a phone from a company who makes most of their money by selling your private data -- unless that phone was really, really cheap (cheap as in "free")?
    I stopped trusting Google when they drove around in their map cars collecting thousands of TeraBytes of private WiFi data -- and then claimed it was the work of a rogue programmer and they didn't know he had done it (even though those thousands of Terabytes remained on their servers!). 
    Because Google doesn't sell your private data. They sell advertising spots to advertisers in front of potential target markets. There's a huge difference. At no point does your private data leave Google's hands into anyone else's.

Google deleted all the wifi data that was accidentally collected.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 28 of 45
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sog35 said:

There's so far up Google's ass it isn't even funny. The Verge called this phone "refined. They ran a whole long puff piece about Google the phone maker as if this is the first time Google has done this. And just today they have on their front page a Walt Mossberg article calling this a bold move that is shaking up the industry (excuse me while I laugh).
    file another one under "Malt Wossberg is a concern troll"....who knows what his deal is. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    SMIDG3T said:
    I don't think anyone is expecting the A10 Fusion to be beat, apart from the A10X. 
    It is quickly getting to the point that raw CPU power isn't all that important to consumers. I'd have to say that at the very least the video processing capabilities of the iPhone are just as important to a good portion of the buyers out there. Honestly the camera performance is just incredible on these new cell phones when you compare them to the original digital cameras or even film photography. At least it is when low end pocketable cameras are in comparison. This refocusing on what is important has happened in the desktop/laptop arena too. While that is partly due to Intel dropping the ball on CPU performance it is also due to computers being good enough for a good portion of the users out there. At least the CPUs are good enough, there are still significant strides being made in GPUs that benefit mainstream users. As for A10X this will be a most interesting release. Will Apple simply up the clock rate on the current chip or do they have other plans? Past X models have had enhanced GPUs for the most part and slight jumps in oricessor speed. This goes back to the idea that raw COU core performance isn't as important as some would like to believe when it comes to user experience. Personally if I was Apple ID try to break the X series away from the cell phone processor line. Give the X series the freedom to evolve in a way that suits machines with a bigger thermal budget.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    Sog sez:
    "This Google phone would be okay if it started at $399"

The SE does start at $399, and that's what I'm buying.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Sog sez:

A good choice too. No reason to overspend on a smartphone. 
    baconstangcali
  • Reply 32 of 45
    :/ sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:

TBH I've no idea why Google would price these new phones so high. the only thing I can come up with is they DON'T want more than a very few million sold for the time being since they've a lot of support structure that's new and untested, and features that require a lot of new background cloud and AI services. Otherwise I can't imagine why the high prices. I know I'd personally never consider one of these IMO way-overpriced devices, tho to be fair any phone priced higher than $500 is to me a bit ridiculous as most folks only play a few games, take a few pics, answer a few calls and otherwise spend far too much time on social sites. A sub-$400 phone would serve them equally as well as a $750+ flagship that never gets used near to it's capabilities anyway.

Heck I bought my son a throwaway Huawei 5x (he's rough on phones) for less than $190 brand new that so far has handled every game or social app very well, has good sound, great battery life and renders pretty nice pictures on a darn good screen (and yes even got updated to the latest Android version several weeks ago.).  He's had zero complaints. Who cares if it's not worth a whole lot when it's time to get rid of it, or if it ends up at the bottom of a lake as one of his previous phones did? It didn't cost a whole lot to buy it.  Personally my days of paying silly prices for features I don't need or use or trying to impress people ( I was driving my Beemer 740i the other day. . . ) I don't count as friends anyway with specs or name-dropping is over. $800 for a smartphone? Ain't smart, ain't happinin'. 
    So its not worth it to spend literally 50 cents a day on a device that you use 365 days a year for 8-12 hours a day? Really?
    You must have been a finance manager at a car lot at some point in your life. . .
    singularitybrakken
  • Reply 33 of 45
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    gatorguy said:
    Sog sez:

A good choice too. No reason to overspend on a smartphone. 
    I like the size better and since I work in recording studios, I'm heavily invested in the mini TRS (not for ear buds).
  • Reply 34 of 45
    cali said:
    sog35 said:
    spice-boy said:
    I don't disagree with most of the comments here but Google is a huge brand name and people who are content with "good enough" will buy these phones and not care about duo core processors. This product is not a threat to the iPhone as it will eat up some of Sammy's business. If Google were serious about making a go with this phone they would pull support and all future development of Android from the clone makers. Alas that would kill all that yummy ad money from those devices. What to do.......
    Good enough?

People who want good enough don't buy phones that cost $650-$869.

This Google phone would be okay if it started at $399 

Beat me to it except I was going to say $300. Android users are very cheap they could get "good enough" iPhoneys for 50 bucks. 

Except that the phone is worth much more than $300. 

If Android users were so "cheap", why is the Samsung Galaxy S7 selling so well? Some people do want a good quality phone and not everyone wants an iPhone. 
    singularitybrakken
  • Reply 35 of 45
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Dracarys said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:
    spice-boy said:
    I don't disagree with most of the comments here but Google is a huge brand name and people who are content with "good enough" will buy these phones and not care about duo core processors. This product is not a threat to the iPhone as it will eat up some of Sammy's business. If Google were serious about making a go with this phone they would pull support and all future development of Android from the clone makers. Alas that would kill all that yummy ad money from those devices. What to do.......
    Good enough?

Beat me to it except I was going to say $300. Android users are very cheap they could get "good enough" iPhoneys for 50 bucks. 

If Android users were so "cheap", why is the Samsung Galaxy S7 selling so well? Some people do want a good quality phone and not everyone wants an iPhone. 
    They're all cheap. Only idiots spend that much money on iPhone knockoffs. By your logic the Pixel isn't "cheap" because it costs $650. Samsung is just better at fooling customers.

P.S. Maybe you're confusing my use of the word cheap for price. When I say cheap I mean iPhone knock offs that aren't worth the asking price.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Dracarys said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:
    Good enough?

Just based off commenters at various sites it also looks some significant number of folks own both Android and Apple devices, kinda counter to the cheap arguments. 
  • Reply 37 of 45
    sog35 said:
    $800 for a smartphone? Ain't smart, ain't happinin'. 
    So its not worth it to spend literally 50 cents a day on a device that you use 365 days a year for 8-12 hours a day? Really?
    You must have been a finance manager at a car lot at some point in your life. . .
    This is all facts.

The fact is the smartphone is most peoples MOST IMPORTANT possession after their home and maybe car. Tell me what else people take EVERYWHERE and use 8-12 hours a day?

Its really silly to save 20 cents a day to get a crappy POS phone.

Pay $175 a year for an iPhone or $100 a year for a POS China generic phone. Come on.

Unless you are in absolute POVERTY there is no reason to choose that chinese crap that could break in 12 months. And if it does than you are actually paying MORE for the Chinese POS.
    Your premise is flawed if you're claiming anything less than $700 must be a crappy phone. Spending anything (even $100) on a truly crappy phone would be a silly waste, as bad as overspending for a $800+ one for most folks IMHO.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 38 of 45
    boredumb said:
    Google just doesn't seem to get the fact -- despite repeated attempts and failures -- that hardware is a different ballgame altogether. You've got to manage up and down a huge value chain, all the way from dealing with suppliers, to logistics, to quality control, to shipping, to customer service, to dealing with returns, to etc etc. ("Those who don't remember the past..." and all that...). Apple has been doing this since the late '70s. 

Cue another boring rerun. Yawn.
    Well, they certainly have that in common with Amazon...perhaps also with MS..?
    Google is not in the same category as either of the two companies you mention. The Kindle and Echo are outstanding products. Even Woz has great things to say about the Echo device. Microsoft did burn through a lot of cash with the XBox, but they managed to break through with the device. Google has no successful hardware product. Not a single one. Glass failed. Motorola mobility was a huge loss. Nest has been a failure. Chromebooks do not sell except to schools and then the pupils are spied upon.  The Nexus does not make a profit.  

Try again with the comparisons. Google has no focus and no discipline. They need a lot of both to break into hardware. Both Amazon and Microsoft are far more focused and disciplined. 
    calichia
  • Reply 39 of 45
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I thought that iFanboyz didn't trust benchmarks but preferred "real use" comparison.
    Now that iPhone scores better, it's suddenly acceptable? LoL
    What's an "iFanboyz"?

Let me break it down for your dumbass and show you why this is a problem. Using an analogy,  iPhone is like a very fast runner, a barefoot runner. Android is like a fat slob who wears special running shoes that make him run 3x as fast as he normal would. Both race each other but the runner with less specs wins the race every time despite being barefoot.
    Now the barefoot runner is wearing the shoes that make him 3x as fast. Do you see how this is the problem now for knockoff manufacturers? This is one less tick box for fandroids to brag about.

There's zero reason to own an iPhone knockoff right now. They don't even have the running shoes anymore.

williamlondonwatto_cobrabrakken
  • Reply 40 of 45
    A lack-lustre imitation of an Apple OS, on a lack-lustre imitation Apple phone. Amusingly the teaser ads for this product were touting its design - what exactly is unique about this design? How does Google justify touting such a design as original, innovative and more simply- not a boring copy of a 3 year old reference. Also the camera rating is a load of hog-wash, you can basically buy whatever rating you like from that enthusiast site.
    edited October 2016