Apple's iPhone 7 handily outperforms new Google Pixel in early benchmarks

Posted:
in iPhone
The Google Pixel phone officially revealed on Tuesday wasn't a well-kept a secret prior to release, and as a result there are a large number of benchmarks available. They show the phone's raw performance lags far behind that of the iPhone 7, and is even defeated in single-core performance by the iPhone 6s and iPhone SE.

Early benchmarks for the Pixel and Pixel XL phones in Geekbench 4 have come in at around 4100 for multiple core performance, and 1580 for single core, consistent with the earliest numbers claimed to be for the phone from mid-September.

In contrast, the Apple iPhone 7 link textmultiple core score is around 5600 regardless of model, with a single core score of around 3430.

For comparison, the iPhone 6s Plus has a multiple core benchmark of 4106, and a single core rating of 2508.

The processor in the Pixel XL is said to be running at the lower of the two speeds indicated by Google's technical specifications. However, the clock speed for the iPhone 7 was misidentified early on as well as a lower frequency than it actually peaks, so the benchmarks are thought to be accurate.

If the benchmarks are in fact measuring the slower of the two processors, a mathematical correction of the benchmarks in accordance with the faster processor still has the iPhone 7 beating the Pixel handily in both single and multiple core measurements.

While benchmarks aren't a perfect representation of day-to-day speed, nor do they measure user interface elements well, they are useful for comparison of the raw processing power between two pieces of computing hardware.

Both models of the Google Pixel revealed on Tuesday use a Snapdragon 821 CPU with two cores running at 2.15GHz, and two running at 1.6 GHz. The phone has 4 gigabytes of application RAM.

The Apple iPhone 7 series utilizes the A10 Fusion processor, with two high-performance cores, and two high-efficiency cores. The two high-performance cores run at 2.34GHz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Google just doesn't seem to get the fact -- despite repeated attempts and failures -- that hardware is a different ballgame altogether. You've got to manage up and down a huge value chain, all the way from dealing with suppliers, to logistics, to quality control, to shipping, to customer service, to dealing with returns, to etc etc. ("Those who don't remember the past..." and all that...). Apple has been doing this since the late '70s. 

Cue another boring rerun. Yawn.
    muadibealbegarcGeorgeBMacbigbaconstang[Deleted User]lolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 45
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Google just doesn't seem to get the fact -- despite repeated attempts and failures -- that hardware is a different ballgame altogether. You've got to manage up and down a huge value chain, all the way from dealing with suppliers, to logistics, to quality control, to shipping, to customer service, to dealing with returns, to etc etc. ("Those who don't remember the past..." and all that...). Apple has been doing this since the late '70s. 

Well, they certainly have that in common with Amazon...perhaps also with MS..?
    albegarcbigbaconstang
  • Reply 3 of 45
    I'm waiting for The Verge to give this phone 9.7 rating. 
    buckaleccalipatchythepiratejahbladeericthehalfbeeSolibignolamacguywlymlolliver
  • Reply 4 of 45
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    With so much feedback on net from the perspective phone buyers, these pixel phones are DOA. Google proved again that It's not their forte. So, what's point of comparing these phones with any good phones out their and certainly disrespect to iphone 7..
    calibigwatto_cobrabrakken
  • Reply 5 of 45
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I watched the keynote and it was cringey as hell.
    "You're a virgin" was so pathetic I had to rewind and do a double take. I didn't think a ccompany this big would make such an immature teenager joke to seem cool and not nerdy.

They tried so hard to be Apple and even recycled phrases used at Apple keynotes. I laughed when they kept saying "ease-of-use is what Google has always been about". What a load of bull and this is their first phone supposedly so it doesn't make sense. (Nexus?)

Even fandroids are disappointed by the latest iPhone knockoff.

oh, and real world tests are going to destroy the little pixel if benchmarks or anything to go by. Apple is known for low benchmarks, high performance.
    edited October 2016 bignolamacguywlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    matrix077 said:
    Why bother reading The Verge?
    albegarcpatchythepiratematrix077bignolamacguywlymwatto_cobraEsquireCatsjony0
  • Reply 7 of 45
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    This has fail written all over it. Who is this aimed at? Why doesn't google just be happy raking in all that money on their monopoly flagship advertising and search product? It's a difficult low margin/loss leader market for Google. And they definitely can't compete against Samsung. And even Samsung, is not doing well, especially with so much low margin competition. And as Verizon customer who suffered with Android for years until the iPhone became available and finally tried it, the problem will always be the Android software itself. There is so much forAndroid to overcome to become a high end operating system. It is destined for low margin second rate devices until Apple drops the ball on iOS.
    calilarryabigbadmonkwatto_cobrabrakken
  • Reply 8 of 45
    matrix077 said:
    I'm waiting for them to praise the hardware as sleek, beautiful and innovative.

Well Google did say hardware was "hard".( another keynote blooper)

They later revealed a phone that copies iPhone.

biglolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 45
    I don't think anyone is expecting the A10 Fusion to be beat, apart from the A10X. 
    calilolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 45
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I don't disagree with most of the comments here but Google is a huge brand name and people who are content with "good enough" will buy these phones and not care about duo core processors. This product is not a threat to the iPhone as it will eat up some of Sammy's business. If Google were serious about making a go with this phone they would pull support and all future development of Android from the clone makers. Alas that would kill all that yummy ad money from those devices. What to do.......
    bigcyberzombiejony0
  • Reply 11 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Why would someone buy a phone from a company who makes most of their money by selling your private data -- unless that phone was really, really cheap (cheap as in "free")?
    I stopped trusting Google when they drove around in their map cars collecting thousands of TeraBytes of private WiFi data -- and then claimed it was the work of a rogue programmer and they didn't know he had done it (even though those thousands of Terabytes remained on their servers!). 
    bigwilliamlondonration albaconstanglolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 45
    wood1208 said:
    With so much feedback on net from the perspective phone buyers, these pixel phones are DOA. Google proved again that It's not their forte. So, what's point of comparing these phones with any good phones out their and certainly disrespect to iphone 7..
    But... but... but... It does have a standard 3.5mm headphone jack and they're proud of that fact. They're sure only Apple is stupid enough to remove that must-have port. You can tell Google is right because their share price is going up and Apple's share price is going nowhere.
    calibigwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 45
    qwwera said:
    Who is this aimed at?
    People who want an android phone but don't want to rely on their carrier for software updates.
    dws-2bigration albaconstangwatto_cobrabrakken
  • Reply 14 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It's shocking this rip-off phone looks like the iPhone. Is there no original thought outside of Apple?
    calibignolamacguylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 45
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Google the Alibaba and the forty Android phone makers think if they make their phones looking identical to iPhone then they can sell their phones at the same price at $649 for iPhone 7 and $769 for 7 Plus.  However, there are things they can not steal or copy from Apple, the iOS and the A10 Fusion processor. 
    calibigbaconstanglolliverwatto_cobrabrakken
  • Reply 16 of 45
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:
    So when are we going to start to hear about the Google Tax?

iPhones sell for $650 to $869
    Google Pixel sells for the EXACT same amount.

Yet I don't hear a single wisper from the castrated tech media about a GOOGLE TAX
    What google is doing, they attempting to say their product is just as good as apple thus the price, they are attempting to get out of the race to the bottom. They have a fan base which will pay the price no matter what just because it is google. The only advantage the phone will have is the fact you can get upgrades when Google makes them available unlike the balance of the Android world. Not sure this strategy will work, but a good try on their part.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

As an android manufacturer, I'd kinda be pissed too. Google is directly competing against other Android phones. It takes away their sales and now an Android partner is potentially struggling because Google decided to make their own phones and lured people away from the Android partners. 

Same thing I think happens with the Microsoft Surface, but thats a different story. 
    calianantksundarambigration albadmonkchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

jungmark said:
    It's shocking this rip-off phone looks like the iPhone. Is there no original thought outside of Apple?
    You can't make a smartphone that looks anything different...remember? :)
    -Samsung Lawyers
    calibigration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 45
    sog35 said:
    spice-boy said:
    I don't disagree with most of the comments here but Google is a huge brand name and people who are content with "good enough" will buy these phones and not care about duo core processors. This product is not a threat to the iPhone as it will eat up some of Sammy's business. If Google were serious about making a go with this phone they would pull support and all future development of Android from the clone makers. Alas that would kill all that yummy ad money from those devices. What to do.......
    Good enough?

People who want good enough don't buy phones that cost $650-$869.

This Google phone would be okay if it started at $399 

Beat me to it except I was going to say $300. Android users are very cheap they could get "good enough" iPhoneys for 50 bucks. 

bigbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 45
    I would bet that Rick Osterloh is having a Groundhog Day moment right now.  It's curious that Google bought and sold (and lost a ton of money on) Motorola Mobility, and then brings in the now former head of MM to try doing the same thing again.  And again they're offering a product (in the Pixel) that doesn't seem to be competitive - much like Motorola did.  If Google really wants to be in the hardware business, they better have a lot of money set aside and a dedication to spending years making product (including product that doesn't sell well - because you need failure in order to learn how to do things right).

I certainly wouldn't bet money on it - they'll maybe give it 12-18 months before they reorganize and "shift" resources to other areas.

bigaderutterration albadmonkwizard69baconstangwatto_cobra