Samsung tells Galaxy Note 7 users to turn off, stop using device

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    fulwild said:
    The reports of Note 7's "bursting into flames" are greatly exaggerated. Usually there is much more smoke than flame and there are clearly parts of the phone that show no evidence of flame at all. Where there's smoke there isn't always very much fire.
    Actually, most have had flames coming out. We've seen pictures of charred surfaces, a Jeep completely on fire, and a house that burned down. That in addition to several people with serious burns, and at least on in the hospital.

people have reported hearing a sudden "bang", and saw flames coming out, along with a lot of black smoke. Samsung is now providing flameproof packaging for people to send their phones back in.

look it up.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/heres-how-to-return-your-note-7-without-blowing-up-the-mail-service/
    edited October 2016 watto_cobracali
  • Reply 62 of 68
    hentaiboy said:
    Highly likely they were using third party cheapo  chargers. They're usually the culprit. They fry the charging port all the time, and harm batteries all the time. I know because I repair iPhones. Given that the iPhone 6 is two years old, there's really a million things that could have happened. If it ends up being a manufaturing defect, I'd expect Apple to handle the problem much more quickly and professionally than Samsung. If they don't they deserve whatever retribution they get. 

Except this was a brand new 7 Plus being shipped to buyer:

http://imgur.com/a/LrhYz

Shit like this can happen to ALL vendors.

Well, if a hundred caught fire in a couple of weeks, then I'd say you were right. But Apple has had maybe around a half dozen catch fires over several years time. Some caused by cheap third party chargers, mostly in China. Estimates that possibly 300 Note's have caught fire around the world in 2.5 weeks with just 2.5 million sold.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 68

foggyhill said:
    melgross said:
    There are also at least 5 Edges burned up recently, and 3 S7 models as well. I wonder if the problem exists on all the models but to a much worse extent with the Note, which had its battery changed at the last minute to a larger model.
    Fast charging is the strongest suspect
    anyone who thinks this has no effect on battery longevity is an idiot,  current density go up and if there is any resistance anywhere, energy increases to the square root, if heat has no space to get out you got problems
    It's a combination of things. The first is that, according to Bloomberg, Samsung replaced the original 3,000wh battery at the last moment, with a 3,300wh battery because of rumors that Apple was using larger batteries. They got caught the previous two years by the + series beating them in most battery tests.

the thicker battery was just a bit more snug in the slot where the battery goes. All batteries expand when charging or during heavy use. Normally, the slot has enough leeway for the battery to safely expand. But the slightly thicker battery, like all components, has tolerances. In this case, the thickest batteries out of the runs may have clashed with the thinnest tolerance slots. That overlap with a fairly small number of batteries caused a problem. It's like squeezing a small balloon between your hands. A small part pops out between where your thumbs and forefingers are holding it. Squeeze to much, and that part of the balloon that's popping out there blows out.

from looking at the pictures of the phones, you can see they always blow in the same direction where the battery isn't surrounded by the plastic battery slot. After a while, the edge of the battery blows out from the hot gasses. The inability of the battery to expand sideways, across its big front and back area causes it to expand on that very thin edge instead. After a while from repeated charge and use, the battery shorts because it can't expand outwards enough through that thin edge, and so compresses the insides. Then the gasses, which could reach 2,500 degrees, shoot out the edge of the battery compartment to the edge of the phone, which melts and peels away,and flame and smoke billows out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 68
    roake said:
    jayjay28 said:
    tzeshan said:
    jayjay28 said:
    This huge Samsung mess should serve as a warning to all of you guys out there whose portfolio has significant percentage in aapl shares.
    As a long term share holder myself, looking at this mess I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like IF this happen to iPhone.  For so many years, I've read so many complains (including myself) why so low PE on an extremely profitable company comparing to other tech company.

Well, the short and simplify answer is exactly what we're seeing here with the problem happening at Samsung.  Despite unheard profit margin for a hardware company, aapl is still a hardware company.  Yes, it take great software to make these hardware run but the hardware still bring in the most of the revenue and profit. 
    This nightmare scenario is very real for any hardware company, a new manufacture process, a supplier fault etc. Some of these problem will not show itself until product is enmass.  By that time it only need small number of incident in millions to bring down a product line.   

Unlike company like googl, fb, amzn, msft etc.  Think about what it will take to dethrone anyone of these company, which is why they command high PE.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.
    Cheers.. 
    Are you a shareholder of Google too?  Do you know Google is jumping into the hardware business with the Pixel XL which has much bigger battery than iPhone 7 Plus? 
    Yes I hold share in googl as well.  But what does Pixel and bigger battery than iPhone got anything to do with what I say ?? Googl can venture into anything they want, their revenue/profit is coming from search/ads base. These hardware, Pixel, OneHub, Nest, and many others are "Hobbies"  side project that doesn't even make a dent in their total revenue.

My point is bottom line appl is a hardware company with more than 60% of revenue comes from iPhone alone. Even for the world most profitable company, in hardware business it carry more risk than a software company.   I would love to see appl venture into software territory and be less dependant on hardware.  Aapl has over 1Billions devices running IOS, there no other company in the world can say that.  Take advantage of this loyal user base, diversify into AppleSearch, AppleFaceBook, AppleWhatEver software related, let's be less dependent on one hardware product line.

It's so cute when Korean trolls think they know English.  ;-)
    Your response is unacceptable. Remove it yourself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 68
    davidw said:
    jungmark said:
    "Because consumers' safety remains our top priority..."

is that why Sammy took a long time for a recall?

I can only guess but i'm pretty sure I know why Samsung waited so long for the recall, 3rd quarter earnings results. Samsung already knew that 4th quarter numbers are screwed but they can maybe savage 3rd quarter numbers if they wait a couple of weeks till Oct., for the recall. By waiting, their 4th quarter will take the blunt of the recall. Remember, Samsung numbers are based on units shipped in the quarter, not units sold. So by continuing to manufacture Galaxy's in Sept. and shipping them so they can sit of retailers shelves, they can still state they sold so many Galaxy's in the 3rd quarter. it probably still won't save the stock as it's price is based on future results and the future don't look too hot, but it may save the butt of a CEO, for maybe another 3 months. 
    Samsung recalled these phones almost immediately. The problem was they are supposed to coordinate with the CPSC. They didn't, and so an official recall took another week. That rushed recall and replacement are why they're in such a mess now.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    roake said:
    jayjay28 said:
    tzeshan said:
    jayjay28 said:
    This huge Samsung mess should serve as a warning to all of you guys out there whose portfolio has significant percentage in aapl shares.
    As a long term share holder myself, looking at this mess I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like IF this happen to iPhone.  For so many years, I've read so many complains (including myself) why so low PE on an extremely profitable company comparing to other tech company.

Well, the short and simplify answer is exactly what we're seeing here with the problem happening at Samsung.  Despite unheard profit margin for a hardware company, aapl is still a hardware company.  Yes, it take great software to make these hardware run but the hardware still bring in the most of the revenue and profit. 
    This nightmare scenario is very real for any hardware company, a new manufacture process, a supplier fault etc. Some of these problem will not show itself until product is enmass.  By that time it only need small number of incident in millions to bring down a product line.   

Unlike company like googl, fb, amzn, msft etc.  Think about what it will take to dethrone anyone of these company, which is why they command high PE.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.
    Cheers.. 
    Are you a shareholder of Google too?  Do you know Google is jumping into the hardware business with the Pixel XL which has much bigger battery than iPhone 7 Plus? 
    Yes I hold share in googl as well.  But what does Pixel and bigger battery than iPhone got anything to do with what I say ?? Googl can venture into anything they want, their revenue/profit is coming from search/ads base. These hardware, Pixel, OneHub, Nest, and many others are "Hobbies"  side project that doesn't even make a dent in their total revenue.

My point is bottom line appl is a hardware company with more than 60% of revenue comes from iPhone alone. Even for the world most profitable company, in hardware business it carry more risk than a software company.   I would love to see appl venture into software territory and be less dependant on hardware.  Aapl has over 1Billions devices running IOS, there no other company in the world can say that.  Take advantage of this loyal user base, diversify into AppleSearch, AppleFaceBook, AppleWhatEver software related, let's be less dependent on one hardware product line.

Perhaps you think Apple is a high-risk investment In their current model, despite what all the analysts and shareholders say, but how about you keep your Samsung and Google stocks, and I'll keep my Apple stocks, mmkay?

Perhaps I'll reconsider when Apple lets me down, but that ain't happened yet.

But thumbs up for crawling out from under your bridge to create a brand new account to altruistically warn us of your foresight about Apple.  I don't suppose you happen to have stocks or, dare I say, a job at a certain South Korean company who is about to lose $19 billion in short-term revenue and worsening devastation to their bottom line in the long term... hmmm?
    If I think aapl is a high-risk, I won't have held it since $14.  That's right, go scroll back on your chart and see how long ago that is and don't forget to factor in the split.
    And this new account you're referring to ??? Why don't you open your eye and look, my account was created before you did.  I don't post on board for this very reason, some people can't hold a proper conversation but to jump down your throat and name calling.

I'm saying Appl is missing out on an opportunity.  With over 1 billions IOS devices out there, this put them in a very unique situation where they can start to diverse into non-hardware business.  If on your next IOS update, Appl added a search function that utilized their own newly developed search engine that compete with Googl. Or they added a social media type that compete with FB???  If they do added these apps or functions, you're telling me you won't at least try it ??? With over 1 billion IOS device, they already have a huge users base to start with.  Plus with the enormous pile of cash on hand, I think Aapl will have high chance of succeeding. Diverse into non-hardware business = more revenue = less dependency on 1 product line.  What is so wrong about diversify and making even more money ??

I say Aapl should diverse more into non-hardware business, that make me a secret Korean worker ?? You're so smart, I'm so proud of you.

singularity
  • Reply 68 of 68
    _Nana_kwabena__Nana_kwabena_ Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I think this galaxy note 7 and iPhone 7 explosions is due to the current quick charge capacity battery being fitted into these devices , I suggest manufactures take a thorough look at its design and implementation
    edited October 2016