Apple releases final version of iOS 10.1 with Portrait mode for iPhone 7 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2016
Following several betas, Apple on Monday released the final version of iOS 10.1, bringing a promised Portrait shooting mode to owners of the iPhone 7 Plus, and various fixes for all compatible iOS devices.

iOS 10.1 is a free download, available either through iTunes or over-the-air via the Settings > General > Software Update menu in iOS.

The new Portrait mode takes advantage of the twin cameras on the Plus, using them to gauge the depth of a scene and blur the background. Apple announced the mode when it revealed the phone on Sept. 7, but said it would only be available in a later software update.

Apart from the new photo option, changes should include a fix for CallKit issues that were preventing call-directory extensions from working. Caller ID and blocking extensions were unreliable. In Japan, the software adds Maps transit directions for "every major train, subway, ferry, and national bus line," but local bus coverage is limited to Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya.

Apple has simultaneously released tvOS 10.0.1 for the fourth-generation Apple TV, and watchOS 3.1 for Apple Watches. The updates mostly offer bugfixes and performance improvements, though watchOS 3.1 users can now replay bubble and fullscreen effects in Messages, or see Messages effects even with the Reduce Motion feature enabled -- this change mirrors iOS 10.1.
doozydozen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Dear God, I hope watchOS 3.1 fixes the horrible battery sucking bug affecting the workout app. 
  • Reply 2 of 62
    I downloaded it and tried the portrait feature: it works. But when you click on "portrait" it tells you it is still a beta... I guess they have more to work on. 
  • Reply 3 of 62
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    sog35 said:
    You clowns better not download this today and then cry that it has bugs.

Wait for at least 5 days and then update.
    Yep, and then never upgrade again just in case there are still bugs.  In fact, never buy anything new again, ever, just in case there's something wrong with it.
    Roger_Fingasnapoleon_phoneapartmacguiai46doozydozentallest skilfastasleeplkruppboredumbjbishop1039
  • Reply 4 of 62
    sog35 said:
    igorsky said:
    sog35 said:

Yep, and then never upgrade again just in case there are still bugs.  In fact, never buy anything new again, ever, just in case there's something wrong with it.
    Its about probability. 

wait 5 days and 99% of the bugs should be gone
    wait 5 months and 99.9% bugs should be gone

Do the math, waiting about 5 days is the sweet spot for time waiting. The majority of the bugs are found in the first couple days.
    Bugs don't just disappear. You know that, right? If there are bugs in 10.1 they won't be fixed until 10.1.1 or 10.2. 
    jbishop1039redraider11roakedoozydozenbaconstangfastasleepchiaboredumburaharaaylk
  • Reply 5 of 62
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    eightzero said:
    Dear God, I hope watchOS 3.1 fixes the horrible battery sucking bug affecting the workout app. 
    I haven't done any workouts with watchOS 3.1 yet, but on my Series 2, the general battery life is quite good now. It might even stretch to 4 days!
    ai46
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Still no tvOS singe sign on.. :(
  • Reply 7 of 62
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    Downloaded it OTA on 7 plus. No hiccups. 
  • Reply 8 of 62
    chelin74 said:
    Still no tvOS singe sign on.. :(
    Heard that is coming in a later update. I was expecting it as well. :(
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 62
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    sog35 said:
    igorsky said:
    sog35 said:

Its about probability. 

Do the math, waiting about 5 days is the sweet spot for time waiting. The majority of the bugs are found in the first couple days.
    Bugs don't just disappear. You know that, right? If there are bugs in 10.1 they won't be fixed until 10.1.1 or 10.2. 
    That's true, of course.

I assume the commenter means after the bugs have been identified, they can decide whether any identified bugs are deal-breakers for their usage.

No release is ever 100% bug-free. The important thing is knowing whether known bugs will affect you directly. Thus, 5 days to ID most bugs seems reasonable to me. I follow a similar strategy.
    edited October 2016 mike1doozydozenchia
  • Reply 10 of 62
    What needs an update is AppleInsider app. Anyone noticed when posting that it is buggy? When typing and you backspace it sometimes refuses to continue. I have to tap 'Done' and then continue. 
    Kprodoozydozenchiabrakken
  • Reply 11 of 62
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I just finished downloading watchOS 3, OTA. Now I'll do the iOS update. If there are any bugs that bite me, I'll post them. That's how others know whether or not to update. If some idiot wants to spin that as crying that's his problem. You can't fix stupid.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 62
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Update downloaded, when it try to install its says:

Unable to install update
    an error occurred installing iOS 10.1.
    Retry
    Remind me later.

Hitting retry goes through the verifying update process and it fails again
  • Reply 13 of 62
    KproKpro Posts: 1member
    Bricked my 6S. 
    Restarts every 4sec. 
  • Reply 14 of 62
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    sog35 said:

That's just silly. The fandroids will be all over it in seconds flat if there are any issue for them to go off on. I wouldn't wait more then 1 day. A couple hours and you should know if it's good to go or not. I'm installing right now.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 62
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Kpro said:
    Bricked my 6S. 
    Restarts every 4sec. 
    If you look more closely, you'll see that you actually have a note 7, not an iPhone.  And it isn't bricked, it's on fire.
    baconstangtallest skilKproicoco3gavzaroundaboutnowchiasennenlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 62
    Updated my 7 plus, idk if it's just because there was an update but my phone feels a little snappier. I just wonder if the issue will be gone of my phone "restarting" when I'm in the camera. Don't know if anyone else experienced that. 
  • Reply 17 of 62
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    sog35 said:
    igorsky said:
    sog35 said:

Its about probability. 

I just wait until x.2.1 and then I don't have to be an inadvertent beta tester.  Same goes for macOS.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    igorsky said:
    sog35 said:

I feel sorry for you for not having anything New ever in your life.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 19 of 62
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Kpro said:
    Bricked my 6S. 
    Restarts every 4sec. 
    Just as expected for someone with 1 post!
    fastasleepchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 62
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    roake said:
    Kpro said:
    Bricked my 6S. 
    Restarts every 4sec. 
    If you look more closely, you'll see that you actually have a note 7, not an iPhone.  And it isn't bricked, it's on fire.
    Sometimes an iPhone may become a brick.  Note 7s may become briquettes.
    dewmeboredumbmacseekerroakewatto_cobra