Microsoft debuts Surface Studio all-in-one PC, refreshes high-end Surface Book

Comments

• Reply 21 of 198

It's worth watching the MS Video...  Long, but very well done -- and passionate!

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/26/microsoft-livestream/

Surface Studio starts @1:15:20

edited October 2016 brian green
  • Reply 22 of 198
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I never want anyone to use the term "Apple Tax" ever again.
    ronnbdkennedy1002baconstangirelandtallest skilrandominternetpersondoozydozenration alwilliamlondonrevenant
  • Reply 23 of 198
    NY1822 said:
    awkward drawing on a slant with your elbow slightly raised and hunching forward...cool
    Uh, I work with a dozen animators and they all draw that way.
    irelandicoco3doozydozenaylkbrian green
  • Reply 24 of 198
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Hate to say it, but I can imagine there will be a lot of interest for that large screen Surface for illustrators, designers and possibly even musicians.
    I hate to say it, I am compelled.

The dial has the potential to be an Apple-esque interface innovation. That said, I'd like to see how it works IRL before showering it with accolades. For now, I'm certainly willing to grant this "imaginative concept" "with potential" labels having never touched one.

I am an avid Wacom tablet user. I've been eying up a Cintiq for years but the massive structure, with no computer built-in, has been a turnoff. You almost need a custom desk to make that setup work. This would be much simpler.

Anyway, I'm not too concerned that Apple will be out-Appled by Microsoft for long. There is a "Hello Again" event tomorrow, after all.
    baconstangirelandaylkblurpbleepbloop
  • Reply 25 of 198
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    curt12 said:
    cali said:
     Out of all days they decide to announce an iMac clone the day before Apple special event. Coincidence? 
    Which iMacs let you touch and draw directly on the screen?
    None. Because it's stupid.
    ronnnolamacguymwhitebaconstangtallest skildoozydozenration aluraharawilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 198
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    The way Apple keep on selling nearly outdated computer  products most of the time, I guess Microsoft will do well. And yes, I know they will provide some updates again tomorrow, probably leaving a lot of disappointment, before they go back to sleep again.
    edited October 2016 aylk
  • Reply 27 of 198
    Dead in a year.

iMac clone and iPad Pro copycat.

At brutal prices, too. 

In trying to mimic Apple (poorly) MS is pricing themselves out of their own market, and into a market into which they don't belong and don't understand. 

I disagree!  I would easily pay that price or more for an Apple product with those capabilities!

Can't innovate -- Panos' ass!

This Surace Studio actually exceeds expectations. If the new iMac offers nothing significantly better, I may actually bite the bullet and get one of these. 
    anantksundaramdoozydozenaylk
  • Reply 28 of 198
    I have been an Apple enthusiast for a decade....but cmon....stop being fanboys...This looks like a great product. MS taking a bite out of Apple's share of the designers......This is good for the industry.....
    If you're familiar with Wacom Cintiq screens for creative professionals, then this isn't all that groundbreaking. It also has the potential drawback of being anchored to computer hardware contained in the base. That doesn't allow the use of a swing-arm for the touchscreen drawing surface, which is quite popular for creative pros.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 29 of 198
    Another example that innovation comes from Apple. Steve Jobs said several times that vertical drawing isn't ergonomical and from all companies Microsoft finally listened and behold - a decent product. As a first version it's decent if you don't turn it on. Of course it will be bugs ridden, broken software and annoy hell out of users, I think they will apologize at least twice before this thing is usable, but still. Mark my words, version two of this product will be good enough that one can switch it on and use. This one has decent materials and is good to look at.
    Those claims about new Surface Book being three times faster than Macbook Pro, I think Intel just shat their pants over Skylake being three times faster than Broadwell. This is just ridiculous. Point about graphics performance would be as such - Surface Book i7 is at least three times slower than ANY computer with similar price.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 30 of 198
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    I find the Surface Studio to look rather well designed. I would love to see one in person to see if the video impression translates into an equally solid experience. 
    irelandration alaylkbrian green
  • Reply 31 of 198
    This is nice. And yet it will fail, because you need dedicated fanboys to pick up that kind of product at that price and I feel that Microsoft doesn't have any. Professionals know better than buying Microsoft hardware because of their track record of poor obsolescence stats and reliability.

But it is a shame that it will fail. Because at some other level the truth is that Microsoft has been genuinely creative in recent years (they had to in order to survive, much like Apple in 2001), whereas Apple has become fixated on the bloody iPhone and has really been quite conservative in terms of design. In some libraries these days I see more Surfaces than MacBooks. I whip out my iPad Pro 12.9" and it's usually the only one.

Disclaimer: I have only bought Apple hardware and gadgets since about 2003. Never owed a Microsoft thing in my life. I don't really expect this to change anytime soon.
    baconstangaylk
  • Reply 32 of 198
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Microsoft out innovating Apple in PCs. Never thought I'd ever say that. I was looking at getting an iMac but the Surface Studio made me pause and reconsider. I'm intrigued. Will definitely test it out when it comes out.

First thoughts, I agree. If this thing has palm/arm-rejection, then it would make for a very interesting creative platform. What stands out to me is that Microsoft is really thinking outside the box, whereas Apple seems stuck to one design and recycling it every year, again and again. There are small bumps forward, such as the forthcoming Touch-Bar on the new laptops, but will their desktops also have a similar feature? Why not? If not, it creates an unnecessary divide between their products, rather than supporting universal, cross-device consistency.
    aylk
  • Reply 33 of 198
    ipilya said:
    I find the Surface Studio to look rather well designed. I would love to see one in person to see if the video impression translates into an equally solid experience. 
    I am going to actively seek one out and put it through its paces.
    ireland
  • Reply 34 of 198
    NY1822 said:
    awkward drawing on a slant with your elbow slightly raised and hunching forward...cool
    Ever work on a drafting table or an easel?

Yes. The Microsoft Studio idea looks great, but I can't imagine that screen being able to support any weight at all, especially at the top. And if there's one thing I hate when working on a drafting table is when things don't feel solid under me.
    baconstangmrboba1
  • Reply 35 of 198
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    It might be a good product, but Microsoft's tin ear subverts the presentation as usual, starting with the name "Surface," which has zero appeal. I mean, how two-dimensional and anti-tactile can you get, calling a touch-screen device by a generic topological term? So left-brained.

Then when they want to copy Apple with a techno-erotic video, they blow it by getting all dreamy and saccharine, with an overdone sound track, senseless nuts and bolts closeups, and smarmy layers of artsy lifestyle cues. (Yuck, why is my stomach turning?)

Why can't they just let the product and its designers and engineers speak for themselves? Instead they're trying to sell "creative professional" lifestyle. Always a wretched approach.
    edited October 2016 nolamacguybaconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 198
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    So, Surface book is $2,500USD and this desktop is $3,000 USD. What happened to the "Apple Tax"? Just like how the pixel is the price of the iPhone 7 with half the features, just shows that when you want to really invest in engineering and design, you're going to match and exceed Apple in pricing, even though your brand does not command a fraction of the stature of loyalty. 
    edited October 2016 nolamacguybaconstangtallest skilration aluraharawilliamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 198
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    slurpy said:
    So, Surface book is $2,500USD and this desktop is $3,000 USD. What happened to the "Apple Tax"? Just like how the pixel is the price of the iPhone 7 with half the features, just shows that when you want to really invest in engineering and design, you're going to match and exceed Apple in pricing, even though your brand does not command a fraction of the stature of loyalty. 
    This too.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 198
    This is basically what Apple would have done years ago if the Mac was their only focus, as it's somewhat of the natural evolution of the iMac G4 design. But Apple had bigger fish to fry, thankfully. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 39 of 198
    NY1822 said:
    Ever work on a drafting table or an easel?

Yes. The Microsoft Studio idea looks great, but I can't imagine that screen being able to support any weight at all, especially at the top. And if there's one thing I hate when working on a drafting table is when things don't feel solid under me.
    I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to create a brace for the top and/or sides. 
  • Reply 40 of 198
    What stands out to me is that Microsoft is really thinking outside the box, whereas Apple seems stuck to one design and recycling it every year, again and again.
    The iPad Pro + Apple Pencil = greater outside the box thinking. Everyone thought that the iPad would need a pressure sensitive screen in order to compete with the Cintiq as a portable creative tool. Instead, Apple put the pressure sensitivity into the Pencil itself and packed it with sophisticated hardware. That's a unique approach. MS, on the other hand, is basically creating it's own version of a Cintiq screen minus the ability to put it on a swing-arm because appears to be permanently connected to the base that houses the computer hardware . That's outside the box? 
    tmayration al[Deleted User]