How Donald Trump's election as U.S. President could affect Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    johnbear said:
    can't believe 59 million people voted for this unqualified, crook, idiot, charlatan 

I know, right?  But 59 million people also voted for Donald Trump, and he won, so just take a breath...
    edited November 2016 bestkeptsecrettallest skilmacseekerSpamSandwichjmc54
  • Reply 82 of 162
    This is a true democracy.
    For fuck’s sake, haven’t you at least seen the people telling you we’re not a democracy? Or at least not supposed to be?
    trampling on individual freedoms.
    News flash: the all-mighty “Individual” is not the atom of society. It is not the smallest unit.

I may well have to start creating compartmentalized threads on PoliticalOutsider… People are just fucking repeating propaganda at this point.
    pscooter63jmc54gtr
  • Reply 83 of 162
    Elitist doofus like you is the reason Trump is President. You may have a college degree but you are illiterate.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 84 of 162
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    asdasd said:
    The difference in the popular vote was minuscule right? As a non-American I'd prefer this site stayed non political (unless something directly affects Apple, not guesses) 
    The estimate I've seen (at 538.com) is that when the counting is done, her lead in the popular vote will be about 2%.

• Reply 85 of 162
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    normm said:
    asdasd said:
    The difference in the popular vote was minuscule right? As a non-American I'd prefer this site stayed non political (unless something directly affects Apple, not guesses) 
    The estimate I've seen (at 538.com) is that when the counting is done, her lead in the popular vote will be about 2%.
    The last numbers I saw I calculated at 1.3% higher in popular vote, but votes were still coming in from CA which overwhelmingly didn't vote for a self-admitted sexual predator.
    edited November 2016 baconstangwatto_cobrasingularityduervopropod
  • Reply 86 of 162
    trydtryd Posts: 143member
    There's this little thing called a democracy where the people have the power to decide who leads the country and who doesn't. And they have spoken. 

And they voted for Hillary. She got more votes than Trump, but the archaic voting system manages to give the win to the candidate that got the least votes. 
    baconstangduervo
  • Reply 87 of 162
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    You reap what you sow....
  • Reply 88 of 162
    ben20 said:
    I bet like Apple will move manufacturing back to the USA very quickly when tarifs kicks in. And create some manufacturing jobs here !
    I have a feeling that the refurbs Apple sells are refurbished in the US.
  • Reply 89 of 162
    schlack said:
    I am ashamed of my country.
    rob53 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Uh, err, Daniel, the election is over. Your stump speech is a day late and a dollar short. Sore loser still fapping the fud, Daniel? Even Hillary said we need to at least give him a chance. I’m waiting to see how many celebrities actually move out of the U.S. like they swore they would do if The Donald won. Streisand, Amy Schumer, Notorious RBG, Whoopi Goldberg, Alec Baldwin, Cher, Miley Cyrus. Anybody see the For Sale signs yet?
    It isn't a stump speech, it's an attempt to understand how Trump's attempts at national policy would affect Apple. I've also heard people say he'll be impeached within his first year, if he even survives the federal racketeering charges. Of course, all the Republican and conservative judges will give him a pass because he's the incoming President and all he needs to do is force the trial into a conservative suburb or one of the many red districts in the farm land and nobody will convict him of anything.

Yes, I'm upset he won because he has no business being our President. 
    "Yes, I'm upset he won because he has no business being our President."

There's this little thing called a democracy where the people have the power to decide who leads the country and who doesn't. And they have spoken. 
    That little thing called democracy elected Hitler, elected Hamas, and made slavery legal for nearly one hundred years. Don't think that it being the will of the people, makes the evil of Trump and his agenda justifiable. Americans who voted for Trump will have to live with their choice. Let's just hope America is around in 4 years and that elections take place.
    It's amazing how Americans are always chest thumping that they live in a free and democratic world and all of a sudden their chosen one Hitlary loses, and democracy is suddenly not what it's cracked up to be. Give me a break. Either you're for democracy or your'e not. If you are for it then you live with the fact that your chosen candidate will possibly lose. And if you can't accept that, fucking move. You have no idea how good you have it.
    pscooter63SpamSandwichaderuttergtrapple ][tallest skil
  • Reply 90 of 162
    dysamoria said:

wizard69 said:
    securtis said:
    fpplan said:
    Comments from trump fans prove they tend to be nothing but unintelligent, angry people who get all their opinions and information from an echo chamber of internet memes.
    Obviously, lots of flyover country and the rust belt felt quite alienated by the political machine. Hillary was more of the same, nothing exciting, just like a buick car. At least with trump, he was unique and gave them something to believe in. Gary Johnson may/may not have acted as Ralph Nader II and siphoned some votes from Hillary.
    The problem was that Democrats back in the time when Obama first got elected had all sorts of promises about turning around the country. Those promises have been shown to be garbage and that the party was in fact controlled by power brokers that had no interests in the condition of the average American. Basically the Democrats demonstrated that they are in fact worst than the republicans when it comes to the best interests of Americans.
    Yes, Obama's promises were BS. He betrayed my vote. Not only did he NOT investigate the Bush II administration, he continued and expanded Bush II policies. I did not vote for him a second time. The Democratic Party of today has swung very far right compared to the Democratic Party of decades ago (or even 8 years ago). At this point, there's very little differentiating the two parties, which makes sense when you consider where they both get their livelihood: corporations. The Republican Party went insane with religious nuttiness and the democrat party became republican-lite because they could swing right while still maintaining consistency on social issues (probably just to differentiate themselves from republicans enough to say "see, we're different"). 

NEITHER of the duopoly parties demonstrate good will toward the interests of Americans or anyone else on the planet. They only act to continue to concentrate their power and wealth. There is very little else they do (except for the insane religious republicans, who constantly try to drag us back to the Christian dark ages).
    Well said and hit the nail on the head.
    pscooter63tallest skil
  • Reply 91 of 162
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    adamc said:
    You reap what you sow....
    Yup, and it has been a long time coming. I think it is time to make America Great Britain again. 
    SoliduervoSpamSandwichaderutterbaconstang
  • Reply 92 of 162
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    This article is at least 2 months too early. All candidates talk trash and make false promises to get in. DED should wait till he lays out his plans once he is president. By the time he is sworn in they will have a standard republican policy list set, nothing ever changes regardless of who you get in. 
  • Reply 93 of 162
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 94 of 162
    Wow, as an outsider this reads as such a bitter, sore-loser article. Fair enough debate how the republican policies will affect apple but the first 4 or 5 paragraphs are pure scare mongering and not based on any truth whatsoever. As many others said, get over it. There will always be losers in a democratic society, we had it recently with the Scottish independence vote and then Brexit vote, I voted leave in both so I lost one and won one. Guess what, my everyday life is not affected by it and these were serious long-term consequence referendums, not a 4 year term if he even lasts that long.
  • Reply 95 of 162
    dysamoria said:
    wizard69 said:
    You do realize that the vast majority of the country disagrees with you. Trump was the best choice to avoid the police state mentality of Clinton
    50% is hardly a "vast majority".
    There's more red on that map than blue.  The electoral college is there to make sure that a few bigger population states can't screw over the smaller ones.  Ironic that Democrats are only for minorities and welfare when they get $omething out of it.  When they don't, and the little guy is given a 'level playing field' (in this case protection from tiny, wealthier urban bubbles) it's nothing but hysteria, cries of unfairness, and unwillingness to compromise.   There's plenty of reason to dislike Republicans, but this basic hypocrisy on the left, is why rational independents despise Democrats/progressives/whatever-they-are-self-branding-as-now. You're total hypocrites, and completely blinded by your own ignorance and hatred.

That's why you'll forever be locked into these false dichotomies with the other side.  Guess what?  In return for your hate, rural America gave all 3 branches of government to your opposition.  Your can argue Clinton shoulda/coulda/woulda until you're blue in the face, but... All 3.  Probably time for some quiet, self reflection.
    asdasdSpamSandwichdasanman69tallest skiltoddzrxibill
  • Reply 96 of 162
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    rob53 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Uh, err, Daniel, the election is over. Your stump speech is a day late and a dollar short. Sore loser still fapping the fud, Daniel? Even Hillary said we need to at least give him a chance. I’m waiting to see how many celebrities actually move out of the U.S. like they swore they would do if The Donald won. Streisand, Amy Schumer, Notorious RBG, Whoopi Goldberg, Alec Baldwin, Cher, Miley Cyrus. Anybody see the For Sale signs yet?
    It isn't a stump speech, it's an attempt to understand how Trump's attempts at national policy would affect Apple. I've also heard people say he'll be impeached within his first year, if he even survives the federal racketeering charges. Of course, all the Republican and conservative judges will give him a pass because he's the incoming President and all he needs to do is force the trial into a conservative suburb or one of the many red districts in the farm land and nobody will convict him of anything.

Yes, I'm upset he won because he has no business being our President. 
    "Yes, I'm upset he won because he has no business being our President."

Dangerous argument. "The people" voted for Hillary, by majority. They spoke clearly. The electoral college weighted that vote in favour of Trump, AGAINST the power of the majority of the People. 

Yes it's by design, and there are historical reasons for it, but pure majority rule, it most certainly is not. 
    baconstangpropod
  • Reply 97 of 162
    johnbear said:
    can't believe 59 million people voted for this unqualified, crook, idiot, charlatan 
    You'll have to be more specific, not sure who you are referring to?

Is this one of those cases where a hypocritical political team zealot, uses an appeal to majority fallacy, to imagine a non-existent moral superiority?  Because from where I'm sitting, that could go either way.   :D

Damn, you people really are pathetic little sacks of cheap proteins.

gatorguycanukstorm
  • Reply 98 of 162
    What kind of people would support such a person? I thought Bush jnr was the depth of stupid, but Trump is beyond ridiculous!

No stated policies, a criminal past and present, and a continuing position based on popular rhetoric. How could he even get near the White House?!?
    singularitybaconstangpropod
  • Reply 99 of 162
    most of the snowflakes commenting here have it completely backwards thanks to their years of mis-eduction. I'm more optimistc now than in the past 8 years. I'm ordering a MBP and I'm going to lease a new vehicle. The sun is finally coming out again!
    SpamSandwichgtrspacekidapple ][roake
  • Reply 100 of 162
    kbrum said:
    Wow, what misconception in many comments above.  Trump is going to help Apple by lowering the tax of bringing profits back to the USA for use here.  Nothing or very little has been said otherwise. Trump wants manufacturing here.  It just does not make sense to pay people not to work in America and pay individuals in other countries to do the work.  I don't really care what they make, but they have to work for what they get.  So, we pay individuals to sit at home watching TV, playing video games, doing drugs, etc. ---when they could be doing something useful like making products.  Wow, lets think about it.   One fifth of homes do not have anyone working in the household.  This is really Great for self esteem.

I have been involved with manufacturing innovations for over 50 years.  We cannot seem to spend the monies to innovate here, but send it elsewhere.  I worked at Boeing innovating manufacturing processes.  They sent our innovations (including equipment) to Mexico and Italy for free???????  Incidentally they screwed it up and caused as much rework as the original cost.

I have been an Apple Advocate for years, not agreeing with their principals and political views, but like many of their products, especially software.  I feel today they are on a ledge and possibly at a point to make bad decisions.  Innovation certainly is at a low low.  Every one is catching up or beating Apple to the punch.

Also, many of you believe in Global Warming caused by us.  I don't.  I probably have more experience and more education regarding this than any of you commenting.  Far more than Gore, thats for sure.  I don't believe in excessive waste or misuse of resources.  I certainly do not want to export natural gas.  Where is our head??????????? The Global warming cause is an international political grab for power, nothing else.  It cannot be substantiated via documentation.  I just spent a week in San Francisco, I saw only two Electric vehicles (Tesla's) the complete time.  I did see a lot of other waste and stupid spending during that time. It is my opinion California does not have it together in any way.  I'll take the midlands.  And------I am very tired of California attempting to force their political/enviromental crap on us because of trade unfairness?????????

So... you say that you're more educated than most of us here. Then you proceed to say that you've worked for over 50 years. Which makes you over 70 years old and educated over half a century ago. Things have changed. This is evident in the way you elaborate on your points. 

I wouldn't even reply had it not been for your little rant on global warming on an APPLE website. I'm sorry that you haven't educated yourself on this matter. But maybe I just care more about it, being able to live here and raise my kids, since I'm half your age and do make a point in continually educating myself.

You've done the damage you could to this planet. I'd like to ask you not to do much more. Since I, my kids and literally millions of people around the world, including Apple, need it and care for it more than you obviously do. 

I'm guessing you'll think that I'm provoking you. That's not my goal. My goal is to have you go and read actual scientific papers. You know, the ones you say cannot substantiate the claims. (While apparently an angry orange man can) Because I'm willing to bet that you haven't read a single one.
    baconstangpropod
This discussion has been closed.