Hands on: Duet Display for iPad brings Touch Bar, Apple Pencil to your extended Mac desktop

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    jdw said:
    The yearly add-on brings palm rejection, and pressure sensitivity for both macOS and Windows.
    Why must I pay for an endless subscription for only that?  Are those features constantly evolving such that one must pay for them endlessly?
    You must pay for it if you want this feature. Why? Because the developer said so. Your alternative is to create an app that does the same thing. Then, you can save $20 per year. 
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    evilution said:
    Because you think that $20 once is all that these features are worth does not mean that everybody does, or should, feel that way. The race to the bottom for software prices is short-term good for the consumer, but bad for the future of the industry.
    Subscriptions are a race to the top. 
    Renting anything is bad enough but renting software is a step too far outside of business use.
    That's not been the case with the businesses I've spoken to. They seem to adore Microsoft's and Adobe's annual licensing, which has been a thing for way longer than it has for consumers.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    It could have certainly been a 1 time in app purchase. It did not have to be a $20 a year subscription. $20 is about all these features are worth. It's all I paid for Astro and it does everything (and wirelessly too) but the touch bar and I'm sure that's coming soon.
    Take it up with the developer. Sure, it could have been, but it isn't. Because you think that $20 once is all that these features are worth does not mean that everybody does, or should, feel that way. The race to the bottom for software prices is short-term good for the consumer, but bad for the future of the industry.

I bought it to test it out. I don't need the added features it brings, so I'm not buying a subscription again.
    I took it up with them by opting for another product.
    The problem with wireless apps is that in most hot spot environments they don't work, and when they do, the lag is too significant to be useful. 
  • Reply 24 of 28
    polish said:
    Mahnud said:
    Will this work with a 13 inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar that is also connected to the new LG 5K display? It's unclear to me whether this would constitute a third display that's not supported.
    Not if you use scaled resolution on either your MBP or display. I have just bought Duet on the basis of this review and found that it turns my main display black as soon as I try to use my normal resolution for internal retina display or my external 4k display - ie. anything other than default.

So the times when I would want Duet are when I need to see more on screen. So why would I make things worse by using Duet?

Other than being useless for anything to do with productivity, it is quite slick, and it's a good way of trying out the touch bar.
    I had the same issue with scaled resolution and contacted the dev.  Fix is while duet is running and after you get the black screen, disconnect the USB cable, reset your resolution to the scale you desire and reconnect the cable.  It then sorts itself out.  You only need to do this once.
    I can confirm this works. Many thanks.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    sirozha said:
    It could have certainly been a 1 time in app purchase. It did not have to be a $20 a year subscription. $20 is about all these features are worth. It's all I paid for Astro and it does everything (and wirelessly too) but the touch bar and I'm sure that's coming soon.
    Take it up with the developer. Sure, it could have been, but it isn't. Because you think that $20 once is all that these features are worth does not mean that everybody does, or should, feel that way. The race to the bottom for software prices is short-term good for the consumer, but bad for the future of the industry.

I bought it to test it out. I don't need the added features it brings, so I'm not buying a subscription again.
    I took it up with them by opting for another product.
    The problem with wireless apps is that in most hot spot environments they don't work, and when they do, the lag is too significant to be useful. 
    It also works with USB
  • Reply 26 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,407member
    maccad said:

I have two auxiliary displays hooked up to my iMac 5K. When Duet is running on my iPad Pro, I can only drag windows to to iPad. Duet won't let me utilize my other displays. I must choose between two 24-inch displays or the 12.9-inch iPad screen. Duet loses this one.
    Not a loss at all. If you ALREADY have two displays connected, why would you or anyone consider using Duet to use an iDevice as ANOTHER display. Duet doesn't claim to let you use it with actual displays connected to your Mac, since your Mac already has that functionality.

Now if you needed a third display for something small, Duet could be handy and save you the cost of yet another display.

Or, is somebody would like a little extra room, and doesn't want to buy an external display, using an iPad or a big iPhone could be just the thing. If only there was an app for just that purpose...

• Reply 27 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,407member
    Duet Display is currently 50% off— $9.99, and $19.99 for the Pro version, drawing tablet upgrade. 

Maybe I missed it, but the iTunes page for dd make no mention of subscription pricing. It talks about the Upgrade unlocking features but no mention of subscription. This would really piss me off to find that my $20 expired.

DD certainly has value for some people, none for others. But I choose to buy software, not rent it. I understand the plight of devs, and believe good software should earn good money, and devs should charge it. But I don't think the subscription model is good for consumers in the any run. There must be some middle ground.

The App Store's restrictions can be a minefield for consumers as well as for devs. Search is a crapshoot. Icons can be deliberately made nearly identical to best selling apps. Names can often be identical. Devs can add ads seemingly with any so-called 'upgrade', without warning. And maybe even sold a subscription without warning.

The App Store needs rebuilding from the ground up to benefit both consumers and devs. Maybe then subscriptions will be rare, or rarer still. I won't buy subscription software.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    You're unlikely to use it for presentations, though, as the iPad must remain connected via a Lightning cable and even short, quality ones can cost too much. If you're a big presenter, get an Apple TV and use AirPlay, and use that instead.
    Don't buy a Lightning cable for that. Use your existing Lightning cable and just buy a USB extension cable. A generic 6-ft Chinese one will set you back a couple of bucks. The whole thing will still work because it still has the Lightning chip in the original cable.