Unboxing LG's 27-inch UltraFine 5K Display with Thunderbolt 3

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2016
With the first preorders now arriving in the hands of customers, AppleInsider offers a closer look at LG's gorgeous 27-inch UltraFine 5K Display, featuring Thunderbolt 3 connectivity to take advantage of Apple's latest MacBook Pros.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I haven't see the 5K in the "flesh" yet but I'm baffled...AI calls it "gorgeous" while many forum contributors to previous stories call it "fugly" although presumably, they haven't seen anything but a picture.

So I'd like to hear from one or more who've actually taken delivery. Where do you come down on the looks of the LG 5K?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    The video on the monitor (even abstracted by the video itself) looks AMAZING! Seriously thinking about getting a 15" and 2 of these bad boys...
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 3 of 34
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Only thing I saw attractive there was the aluminium foil wrapping paper. Everything else was hideously ugly. How Apple could even be linked to this?!? Steve Jobs would chuck it out the window. Defenestration FTW!
    edited December 2016 bloggerblograjeshkhater
  • Reply 4 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    wozwoz said:
    Only thing I saw attractive there was the aluminium foil wrapping paper. Everything else was hideously ugly. How Apple could even be linked to this?!? Steve Jobs would chuck it out the window. Defenestration FTW!
    Please don't quote what Steve would have done. Nobody knows what Steve would do and it doesn't matter anyways. Why? BECAUSE THIS IS NOT STEVE'S COMPANY!!! Get it through your skull people!!!! Enough with the Steve shit!
    edited December 2016 Rayz2016Ironheadfarjamedmike1pulseimagesneo-tech
  • Reply 5 of 34
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    felix01 said:
    I haven't see the 5K in the "flesh" yet but I'm baffled...AI calls it "gorgeous" while many forum contributors to previous stories call it "fugly" although presumably, they haven't seen anything but a picture.

So I'd like to hear from one or more who've actually taken delivery. Where do you come down on the looks of the LG 5K?
    Haven't you heard only MS stuffs are gorgeous and full of innovation and as one blog claimed stuffs we didn't know we want annnnd Apple is doomed..../s
    rob53pulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 34
    felix01 said:

I don't know why everyone gets all wrapped up in what a damn bezel looks like. I'd rather have a display that displays good. Hell I have a 23" Dell display on my desk. Its not the greatest looking thing in the world, but it displays pretty decent.
    mike1
  • Reply 7 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macxpress said:
    felix01 said:

I don't know why everyone gets all wrapped up in what a damn bezel looks like. I'd rather have a display that displays good. Hell I have a 23" Dell display on my desk. Its not the greatest looking thing in the world, but it displays pretty decent.
    Frankly I'd rather there was no visible bezel, edge to edge screen would look nice IMHO.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    wozwoz said:
    I don't know what you are looking for. The display works phenomenally well (I have the 4K). The bezel is very small, so there is not much left to dress up.  IMO, the stand and bezel completely disappear into the background when looking at it.  The only thing that would make it better, is if it did not have a stand sitting on my desk...   Oh wait, it ships with a bracket to do just that.  I suppose it could be a different color, but black is perfect for me.
    macxpressRayz2016mike1pulseimages
  • Reply 9 of 34
    If you don't like it, you could sacrifice a little and get the 27" HP 4K display. 

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-27-27-inch-display

Its also much cheaper!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    felix01 said:

Frankly I'd rather there was no visible bezel, edge to edge screen would look nice IMHO.
    And where would they put the camera?
    wozwoz
  • Reply 11 of 34
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    LG UltraFine 5K has matte display?
  • Reply 12 of 34
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    macxpress said:
    If you don't like it, you could sacrifice a little and get the 27" HP 4K display. 

Its also much cheaper!
    And you get what you pay for. No Thunderbolt/USB-C expansion ports so I'd need to get a TB dock, only has a tilt, no height adjustment, only 4K, skinny stand and it's out of stock on HP's website.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    I would have liked to see an extended unboxing that included seeing the backside of the monitor along with how it tilts and does its height adjustment. Simply taking it out of the box and not showing the connection and startup process leaves too much for negative discussions.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    appex said:
    LG UltraFine 5K has matte display?
    It is between what most folks would call glossy and matte. It is similar to the MBP or iMac 4K/5K.  Glare is really pretty minimal.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Hmmm, it does seem Apple had a hand in this design. I mean, I don't know the "ins-and-outs" of the feature set, but it certainly doesn't seem like a "dumb" monitor. 

I just wished they'd Apple branded it, and made it the color of a silver iMac.

I think Apple has looked at sales numbers and said, enough. There's not a market ($'s) out there big enough for them to worry about. Oh well, let it go, guys! :)

Best.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 16 of 34
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Seriously:  defenestration is the only option. Let's all chip in 5 bucks on kickstarter, buy one of them, and then youtube it it being thrown out the window, while playing "Here's to the creative ones".
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 17 of 34
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rob53 said:
    macxpress said:

Its also much cheaper!
    And you get what you pay for. No Thunderbolt/USB-C expansion ports so I'd need to get a TB dock, only has a tilt, no height adjustment, only 4K, skinny stand and it's out of stock on HP's website.
    And it's not IGZO, and therefore (I assume) only sRGB. 
    ai46
  • Reply 18 of 34
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Hmmm, it does seem Apple had a hand in this design. I mean, I don't know the "ins-and-outs" of the feature set, but it certainly doesn't seem like a "dumb" monitor. 

I just wished they'd Apple branded it, and made it the color of a silver iMac.

I think Apple has looked at sales numbers and said, enough. There's not a market ($'s) out there big enough for them to worry about. Oh well, let it go, guys!

Best.
    Also possible, I keep saying, is that LG has a production monopoly on these large IGZO displys, they can only make so many of them, and they want to get their R&D costs back by getting full "retail" money, rather that discounting them to Apple as parts. Note they already supply them for the iMacs. How many can they produce at present? Plus they may want all the prestige for now as a reward for being first to mass produce this difficult process.
    edited December 2016 ai46
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Thunderbolt 3 + USB-C might have the smoothest rollout of any display connector we've ever seen.

ADC got co-opted by DVI. Displayport did okay on Macs, but the popularity of HDMI meant there were still displays we couldn't connect to, and Windows PCs that couldn't use our Cinema Displays, and we've got a whole new mess with Cinema Display users who wonder why Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters don't work properly. So, a mess.

If you want 5k, you need Thunderbolt 3 + USB-C. That standard is getting entrenched and nothing will screw with it. I'm sure some kind of "5k over HDMI" and "5k on USB-C without Thunderbolt" will come out down the line, but by then it shouldn't matter. I hope.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    rob53 said:
    I would have liked to see an extended unboxing that included seeing the backside of the monitor along with how it tilts and does its height adjustment. Simply taking it out of the box and not showing the connection and startup process leaves too much for negative discussions.
    Stand by.
    pulseimages