LG UltraFine 5K Display possibly affected by interference from nearby wi-fi router

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2017
A Wi-Fi-related issue with some LG UltraFine 5K Displays has possibly been discovered, one that effectively renders the high-resolution Thunderbolt 3 displays unusable if an afflicted unit is positioned within a few feet of a router or a wireless access point.

The LG UltraFine 5K Display appears to be affected by interference in some cases, caused by devices broadcasting a strong Wi-Fi signal. In testing by 9to5Mac, the monitor started having problems when it was placed less than 6.6 feet away from a router, causing the display to repeatedly disconnect from the MacBook Pro, and in turn causing the MacBook Pro to freeze.

After moving the monitor away from the router, LG's support suggested the display should be kept away from the router while the company works to "isolate the issue."

One clue that helped pin the source of the problem on Wi-Fi interference was an online review for the display on Apple's website, suggesting the issue is being felt by other users. The reviewer, identified as Patrick G, advises the symptoms he experienced as dependent on how much traffic was passing through the Wi-Fi connection, and that the screen would flicker or go black based on the proximity to a router.

The problem does not appear to affect all configurations, however. The unit reviewed by AppleInsider was evaluated during the course of the review within three feet of two different operating 802.11ac routers, and was not impacted by the proximity.

A second LG Ultrafine 5K unit tested on Monday also does not show the issue with wi-fi routers. A NetGear NightHawk X6 router was held directly on top of the monitor with no ill effect.

AppleInsider has confirmed that both LG and Apple engineers are examining the situation.

"At first analysis, it may be an issue with insufficient RFI shielding on a very limited quantity of the cabling bundled with the monitor," a source within Apple corporate told AppleInsider. "We're continuing to look into the rare trouble reports with the monitor."

The LG UltraFine 5K Display is considered a replacement for Apple's discontinued Thunderbolt Display, offering a 5,120x2,880 resolution, a P3 wide color gamut, and the ability to charge a MacBook Pro using the same Thunderbolt 3 cable used for video and data transfers. The monitor is on sale from Apple directly for $974, a discount of 25 percent from the usual $1,299.95 price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Foobar
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 2 of 27
    They bundle different cables with the same model of monitor?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I did think about getting one of these, but the price put me off. Lucky, since I don't have the option of putting it 2 metres away from my WiFi router.

Not sure how they can deal with this without a recall - I don't see it being fixed with a firmware update. Maybe this will encourage Apple to get back into monitors, or maybe someone else will sell something similar that doesn't have this problem.

• Reply 4 of 27
    Just buy proper NEC professional grade model.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Rayz2016 said:
    They bundle different cables with the same model of monitor?
    We've seen different cables in three different boxes, so seems like.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 7 of 27
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Which 5K monitor does NEC offer?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Twice the price, 4/5 the pixels, 4/5 the color gamut. 

I doubt they're oxide-backed LCD, which is what gives the brightness and wider gamut.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    volcan said:
    Which 5K monitor does NEC offer?
    I have seen a 4K monitor from NEC but that's over $3k. 
  • Reply 10 of 27
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    anome said:

I did think about getting one of these, but the price put me off. Lucky, since I don't have the option of putting it 2 metres away from my WiFi router.

Not sure how they can deal with this without a recall - I don't see it being fixed with a firmware update. Maybe this will encourage Apple to get back into monitors, or maybe someone else will sell something similar that doesn't have this problem.

And once again, we are not following the technology well enough. I doubt "someone else will sell something similar," because so far I haven't seen anyone but Sharp and LG making large IGZO displays, and Sharp now belongs to Foxconn, which is probably going to try to make them for Apple, I'm guessing.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    From SpamLaws, http://www.spamlaws.com/position.html

Avoid Interference

Install your router or access point at least three feet (one meter) away from other home appliances that send wireless signals. Examples of such appliances are microwaves, cordless phones, baby monitors, and home automation equipment like X-10 devices. If it transmits signals in the range of 802.11b or 802.11g (2.4 GHz), it can generate interference.

---

Computers using WiFi transmit signals in the listed wavebands so it makes sense the monitor's signal coming from the computer could be affected. I also don't understand why people cram everything into a small work area and still use WiFi. In the case of several posters, why not just use hardwired ethernet to the router, it's going to always be faster. 

wozwoz
  • Reply 12 of 27
    rob53 said:
    From SpamLaws, http://www.spamlaws.com/position.html

Avoid Interference

Install your router or access point at least three feet (one meter) away from other home appliances that send wireless signals. Examples of such appliances are microwaves, cordless phones, baby monitors, and home automation equipment like X-10 devices. If it transmits signals in the range of 802.11b or 802.11g (2.4 GHz), it can generate interference.

---

Computers using WiFi transmit signals in the listed wavebands so it makes sense the monitor's signal coming from the computer could be affected. I also don't understand why people cram everything into a small work area and still use WiFi. In the case of several posters, why not just use hardwired ethernet to the router, it's going to always be faster. 

Perhaps because the wifi is for the whole house and just some devices happen (at least from time to time) be close to the router.  Also, like the setup in the picture, without buying a dock or an adaptor, there is no way "just use hardwired ethernet to the router" with any recent Mac laptop.  But I agree with you in principle.  The iMacs and Mac mini in my office are all hard wired to the wifi router that is in the same room, but none of our MacBooks or iPads or Apple TVs are ever connected with Ethernet cables.

edited January 2017
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Rayz2016 said:
    Foobar

That seems overstated.  I expect this will get fixed in fairly short order with some people needing a new cable or a replacement.  That's hardly a problem "beyond all recognition."
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Rayz2016 said:
    Foobar

That seems overstated.  I expect this will get fixed in fairly short order with some people needing a new cable or a replacement.  That's hardly a problem "beyond all recognition."
    Er… heh 

Actually, I was just deleting a duff post which I'd foobarred. 

• Reply 15 of 27
    Just want to positively confirm that this interference is true. Had a current model Airport Extreme 802.11ac next to LG monitor and it would flicker and the disconnect from new MacBook Pro 15". Moved the Airport Extreme 1 meter away and no problem. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I missed the bit about the cables. Seems careless, nonetheless.

I suppose the next test is to find a unit that reliably has the problem, and swap the cable with one that doesn't. Then, if the "faulty" one works fine and the "working" one develops the fault, we can sort it out.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    flaneur said:
    Twice the price, 4/5 the pixels, 4/5 the color gamut. 

I doubt they're oxide-backed LCD, which is what gives the brightness and wider gamut.
    Don't forget: Infinitely more hardware calibrate-able. 

Not it that most people care, but I shelled out for an Eizo with hardware calibration built in. That's what you pay for in the pro space. At least the pro space I shop in. 
  • Reply 18 of 27
    anome said:

I missed the bit about the cables. Seems careless, nonetheless.

I suppose the next test is to find a unit that reliably has the problem, and swap the cable with one that doesn't. Then, if the "faulty" one works fine and the "working" one develops the fault, we can sort it out.

That's what I was hoping for this morning with the whole "router on top of the monitor" thing. Alas.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    I'm guessing the interference goes both ways. I had to return my LG because my powered speakers were picking up noise from it. Sounded like crackling. I didn't have it long enough to experience a bunch of the other issues people are reporting.

Has anyone tried placing an iPhone near the monitor? I bet the RF from devices like phones could also disrupt the LG, especially when making or getting a call.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 20 of 27
    xoop said:
    I'm guessing the interference goes both ways. I had to return my LG because my powered speakers were picking up noise from it. Sounded like crackling. I didn't have it long enough to experience a bunch of the other issues people are reporting.

Has anyone tried placing an iPhone near the monitor? I bet the RF from devices like phones could also disrupt the LG, especially when making or getting a call.
    During my review process, an iPhone was never further away than four feet, and in some cases, much closer.