Apple hires former head of Amazon's Fire TV unit to lead Apple TV operations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2020
Apple is shaking up its Apple TV operating unit with the hire of Timothy D. Twerdahl, the former head of Amazon's Fire TV team who will fill a similar role in Cupertino, a report said Tuesday.

Citing sources familiar with Twerdahl's hire, Bloomberg reports the former Amazon executive joined Apple in February to head Apple TV product marketing, a position reporting to worldwide iOS marketing chief Greg Joswiak.

Twerdahl served as Amazon's general manager and director of Fire TV operations from 2013 to December of last year, according to his LinkedIn profile. Prior to that, he worked a brief stint on an Internet TV team at Netflix that ultimately became Roku. From 2009 to 2012, Twerdahl was VP of products at smartwatch startup WIMM Labs.

At Apple, Twerdahl is expected to take over product development while outgoing Apple TV product lead Pete Distad shifts focus to content deal efforts under SVP Eddy Cue. Apple has long been rumored to launch an over-the-top content bundle for its set-top box, but negotiations with content owners have in large part stymied those efforts.

Since the fourth-generation Apple TV launched in 2015, development of the platform has been slow going. Most recently, Apple took baby steps toward integrating a one-stop streaming solution with the debut of TV, an app that acts as a convenient hub for available content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    What exactly does Eddy Cue do at Apple? Seems like everyone is take over his jobs little by little. 
    anantksundaramirelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    macxpress said:
    What exactly does Eddy Cue do at Apple? Seems like everyone is take over his jobs little by little. 
    Hey. Be thankful for small favors.
    razormaidpatchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Apple TV team needs a fresh new leader. The new "TV app" is just OK (no wow-factor). I think shopping online via Apple TV can be a good experience. Apple TV needs to be the central hub of everything like in the movie "Minority Report". Apple TV has to beat Alexa before Amazon's next move. Apple TV seriously needs higher IQ AI. Right now Amazon has the upper hand in creating a combo of Alexa, Fire TV and Shopping experience all rolling into one set-top box device. We just wait and see.
    edited February 2017 cali
  • Reply 4 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple TV team needs a fresh new leader. The new "TV app" is just OK (no wow-factor). I think shopping online via Apple TV can be a good experience. Apple TV needs to be the central hub of everything like in the movie "Minority Report". Apple TV has to beat Alexa before Amazon's next move. Apple TV seriously needs higher IQ AI.
    They need to take gaming seriously too. I'm on the edge of replacing my Apple TV with Microsoft's or Sony's eco system. I'm tired of waiting. 
    ravnorodomwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    AppleTV 4 -- its hardware, software, and ecosystem -- has to be one of the most mediocre product offerings from Apple. I have zero interest in it (I just bought another AppleTV 3). 

Sad, considering Apple created the market for this product segment. 
    williamlondoncali
  • Reply 6 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    No, the ATV is not mediocre. As a platform it's great. the apps are solid. Plex is killer. TV app with single sign on is for sure the future of watching TV, I'd never use a cable box again. The remote has room for improvement, but swipe-scrubbing is way better than button cycling. The instant-thumbnails during scrubbing is a first. Siri controls such as "what did he say?" for instant rewind + temporary closed captions is a killer feature, and Siri searches for content and apps is great. And using my AirPods at night is nice. 

So no, nothing mediocre about it. 
    lenaandrewj5790cornchiplostkiwiwilliamlondonmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    AppleTV 4 -- its hardware, software, and ecosystem -- has to be one of the most mediocre product offerings from Apple. I have zero interest in it (I just bought another AppleTV 3). 

I was JUST LIKE YOU!  After buying TV 4 my first thing I did was go buy two more of the 3's. I thought it was aweful. But now that we're deeply in the next round of betas for 10.3 and the betas for TV too maybe try one for 14 days. They have listened to our grips and have made some positive changes. 

I just dontknow what after waitinh for what 2-3 years why didn't it ship like THIS then?

anywat from someone who was also deeply unimpressed I too had a laundry list of complaints but it is better with these new rounds of betas. 

Hope me that helps. <GRIN> 
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    No, the ATV is not mediocre. As a platform it's great. the apps are solid. Plex is killer. TV app with single sign on is for sure the future of watching TV, I'd never use a cable box again. The remote has room for improvement, but swipe-scrubbing is way better than button cycling. The instant-thumbnails during scrubbing is a first. Siri controls such as "what did he say?" for instant rewind + temporary closed captions is a killer feature, and Siri searches for content and apps is great. And using my AirPods at night is nice. 

Agreed. It's the top Apple gadget in our house. Sometimes I just leave it running to watch the screen savers  :-/

But yes, that remote. If falls in the floor we have to wrestle it off the cat, and it's ridiculously hard to pick up (the remote, not the cat – though the cat's overweight so it's pretty hard to pick up too)

#firstworldproblems
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    razormaid said:

I was JUST LIKE YOU!  After buying TV 4 my first thing I did was go buy two more of the 3's. I thought it was aweful. But now that we're deeply in the next round of betas for 10.3 and the betas for TV too maybe try one for 14 days. They have listened to our grips and have made some positive changes. 

I just dontknow what after waitinh for what 2-3 years why didn't it ship like THIS then?

anywat from someone who was also deeply unimpressed I too had a laundry list of complaints but it is better with these new rounds of betas. 

What do you think is better about the 3rd generation over the 4th generation? I've been using the 4th generation since about 10 days after the first sign up day for DirecTV Now in which I was able to get one for free for prepaying for 3 months of the streaming service. Up until that point I had used every generation of the Apple TV.

I think the 4th gen Apple TV is the best one they've ever released. The remote make it easy to swipe through lists, love that it's Lightning with a rechargeable Li-Ion battery and BT, Siri works well quick access, CEC is flawless, and I'm amazed at how quickly the things reboots. I also love how easy it is to setup and sync accounts compared to previous Apple TVs.

That said, I do have some expected and unexpected gripes. The expected gripes are the lack of 2160p, 60fps, or HDR support, which means I use my TV's Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube apps instead of the Apple TV to get the better quality content from those select services. The unexpected gripes are infrequent app and system issues. One of the most common is it stops responded to the BT and IR remotes which forces me to grab my iPhone for the Remote app or physically unplug the device. It's only about a once a week average and reboots in under 30(?) seconds, but this never happened with the previous models.

All in all, I can't imagine going back to the 3rd gen Apple TV.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Cue needs to consider stepping down. He's made enough money and clearly isn't eager to get things done anymore. Greedy-Schiller took over App Store and got more done in one year than Cue did in several.
    edited February 2017 caliwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    razormaid said:

What changes do you like in these betas?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Since there is no mute button on the remote, double clicking the (-) button would be helpful to mute volume.

ireland
  • Reply 13 of 25
    It still boggles my mind why they don't have an AppleTV that supports 4K! 4K TV's were one of the most popular gifts this past holiday season and yet they have an AppleTV that only supports 1080p. Maybe there's little to no content for 4K yet, but if it doesn't at least support it, I see people turning away from this or buying it only to realize its not 4K and returning it for something else that does. 

I would think something like the A10X would support 4K resolutions at 60fps. 

This product has the potential to do so much more and yet it just seems to sit there stagnate. This really could be one of the bigger things Apple does if they put some time and effort into it. It shouldn't be a "hobby" anymore for them. 
    williamlondonpalomineFatmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    macxpress said:
    We can only hope. But I think this guy works in the marketing department?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    macxpress said:
    We can only hope. But I think this guy works in the marketing department?
    I think he just comes there, fills an office and collects a healthy paycheck. Other than that, I'm really not sure what the hell he does do. Maybe he's in charge of the water cooler? But even with that, he probably has his secretary do it for him. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StIcRH_e6zQ  :smiley: 
    edited February 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 16 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    macxpress said:
    It still boggles my mind why they don't have an AppleTV that supports 4K! 4K TV's were one of the most popular gifts this past holiday season and yet they have an AppleTV that only supports 1080p. Maybe there's little to no content for 4K yet, but if it doesn't at least support it, I see people turning away from this or buying it only to realize its not 4K and returning it for something else that does. 

This product has the potential to do so much more and yet it just seems to sit there stagnate. This really could be one of the bigger things Apple does if they put some time and effort into it. It shouldn't be a "hobby" anymore for them. 

Problem is it shipped with an outdated A8 chip.

It's great for streaming content especially if you don't own a smart TV. 

But I don't understand why they added gaming if it's barely capable of running 2006 Wii quality games at a decent frame rate. 

Don't underestimate the console market. A lot of people only have a console and have zero interest in an additional streaming device. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    macxpress said:

watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 18 of 25
    cali said:
    macxpress said:

And I don't understand why they'd do that. If I remember correctly, the lack of 4K support was a major complaint. I do own a 4th gen AppleTV and it is sometimes useful, but in the end, there's really nothing compelling to make me want to use it all the time. I still can't watch Food Network or HGTV without a cable subscription and verify my account, there's no 4K support so I can't stream a 4K movie to my 4K TV, etc, etc. When I do try and watch TV on it, the sound quality is not very good vs watching the same live TV show on cable. Its almost like the stream is compressed or something because it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as watching it on cable. That being said, the Super Bowl did sound better, but is the only thing that has ever sounded good. I'm not sure if they did something different for that or its the TV apps causing the poor audio quality or what. 

And, I'm still not really a fan of the interface. This thing has been through what 3 or 4 UI changes and I still don't think Apple got it right. Really, the best thing I've used it for is streaming my music to my surround sound system when I want to listen to music. Its a real shame because I think it has so much potential but right now its kinda just a dust collector. 
    cali
  • Reply 19 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cali said:
    macxpress said:

The A8 is not why it didn't come with 4K. There was no "we have 4K all ready to go but since you're going to use the A8 we'll remove that support." It didn't come with 4K because because iTunes Store doesn't offer it. I'd argue the lack of 4K content in the iTunes comes from the studios, not Apple. There's also an issue with HEVC, which has its own licensing issues.
    williamlondonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 20 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I am looking to refurbish my flat so I need a large TV, or projecter. Well want, if not need. Either way the Apple TV wont cut it. Firstly I cant really have any more wires going from the ground to the TV, the Apple TV is just too big to fit behind a TV, and I dont want it on the mantlepiece.

Compare to the Fire TV stick. Or that there are TVs running android that work with AirPlay, or that I can get a projector running Android. 

I mean come on, get an Apple Projector already. One that will pick up live TV and automatically run some version of TVOS, which should be licensable anyway. 

edited February 2017 williamlondon