All of Apple's 2017 iPhones will include fast charging via Lightning port, not USB-C

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,941member
    "a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider"

...by "obtained", do they mean subscribe to his newsletter? not understanding this.
    edited March 2017 irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 75
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    avon b7 said:
    Fast charging should have been designed into the iPhone 7. It seems it will be available in the autumn with the new phones. It's one of the little big features that make mobile life better. Definitely a plus of the best kind.

If you have a 2 amp (I think they are 2.4 amp now?) iPad charger, the iPhone 7/+ will draw 2amps and charge roughly twice as fast. The iPhone 6/+ did that as well. I thought that was fast enough, rarely used it but when I needed a quick charge, it worked well given it takes some 3 hours to charge a 6+ or 7+ on a 1 amp charger.
    edited March 2017 jcs2305watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 75
    SleepydocSleepydoc Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    paxman said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    The royalties Apple collects through its Made for iPhone program are but a tiny drop in the bucket in comparison to other revenue streams. I don't believe Apple would keep Lightning just because of that. For Apple to move from Lightning to USB-C, there'd have to be major advantages regarding usability, etc. 
    The major disadvantage is that cheap, dangerous cables will be even more prolific with USB-C. 

The transfer speed isn't much of an issue since most users don't plug in their iPhone to transfer data. 

The next port change for the iPhone will be no port at all. 
    But it is not Apple's job to stop people using cheap cables. They can educate us, but that's about it imo. I'm all for standardization when it comes to connectivity and cables.
    I agree that the next, or at least the best, port will be no port. For access when wireless charging and connectivity fails or for higher speed connectivity all phones should include the 'smart connectors', of course. 
    The real problem is that non-Apple chargers can overcharge the battery, causing the phone to catch on fire or explode. Use the Apple charger.
    No - a charger is just a power supply that supplies a steady voltage/current. The charging circuitry is within the phone. Assuming the power supply has a decent voltage regulator there won't be any issues. If the power supply voltage goes high enough to overload the iPhone circuitry, thats another issue.

Instead, it's more likely that Apple might switch to a USB-C connector on the opposite end of the Lightning cable that ships in the box. That would allow users to plug their "iPhone 8" into one of the company's new MacBook Pros, or the 12-inch MacBook.

...and nothing else in the entire world? Nope, not happening.
    Well, the MacBooks are compatible with virtually no devices without a dongle, so why should that be an issue? Phil Schiller keeps saying that USB C is the future and that's why they took away all the other connectors in the MacBooks, so it would be rather inconsistent of them to keep a 'old legacy' connector in the phone.

In general, USB C is either equivalent to or better than the lightning connector, I know of no technical advantages to lightning, so the only reasons not to switch are licensing profits and design inertia. Switching would greatly simply things as well in terms of cables. 
  • Reply 24 of 75
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    A day will come when ihpone(and others) will have no slot for SIM card(e-sim) and no port needed because of wireless charging and wireless data(audio/video) transfer.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    stompystompy Posts: 409member

Instead, it's more likely that Apple might switch to a USB-C connector on the opposite end of the Lightning cable that ships in the box. That would allow users to plug their "iPhone 8" into one of the company's new MacBook Pros, or the 12-inch MacBook.

Every Dell Precision laptop now ships with at least one USB-C port (and has for a while now), Lenovo's T-Series, Asus Zenbook, not to even get into all the desktops that have USB-C and I'm now bored with this game.

Last fall, AI was littered with complaints about iPhone 7 /7+ being incompatible "out of the box" with the 2016 MacBook Pros.
    Interwebs, you never disappoint me. /s

If I had to bet on what Apple will change in the next iPhone, this (move to Lightning + USB-C cable and power adapter) comes out way ahead of "Lightning port replaced by USB-C port."
    tmay
  • Reply 26 of 75
    tshapitshapi Posts: 371member
    avon b7 said:
    Fast charging should have been designed into the iPhone 7. It seems it will be available in the autumn with the new phones. It's one of the little big features that make mobile life better. Definitely a plus of the best kind.
    Can't see it ever being of use to me. The 7 Plus lasts all day and then some, and the 8 will be even better. I've never once charged the 7 Plus except docking it at night.
    If Apple decided to market fast charging. It would probably be just to slap Samsung in the face  to say "look just another thing we can do better than you"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    paxman said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    The royalties Apple collects through its Made for iPhone program are but a tiny drop in the bucket in comparison to other revenue streams. I don't believe Apple would keep Lightning just because of that. For Apple to move from Lightning to USB-C, there'd have to be major advantages regarding usability, etc. 
    The major disadvantage is that cheap, dangerous cables will be even more prolific with USB-C. 

The transfer speed isn't much of an issue since most users don't plug in their iPhone to transfer data. 

But it is not Apple's job to stop people using cheap cables.
    If they are causing their products to explode it's not only their job but their problem. Lightning cables should be way tougher and even cheaper. There's no excuse for how relatively flimsy and expensive they are. They've caused this gap in the market.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member
    wood1208 said:
    What happened to reputable WSJ article?
    WSJ has been a crap right-wing soapbox since its acquisition by Murdoch.
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 75
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    This isn't breaking news. At most, it's speculation.
    irelandStrangeDayssmiffy31
  • Reply 30 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This isn't breaking news. At most, it's speculation.
    Yes, but Jesus-analyst has spoken.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 31 of 75
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 282member
    As me and others said on the earlier thread, the lightning port is staying, but the other end is changing to USB c.
    The new MacBooks don't have the older USB port so it would be silly to keep it while the rest of the Apple ecosystem had already ditched it
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Soli said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    paxman said:
    Rayz2016 said:

But it is not Apple's job to stop people using cheap cables. They can educate us, but that's about it imo. I'm all for standardization when it comes to connectivity and cables.
    I agree that the next, or at least the best, port will be no port. For access when wireless charging and connectivity fails or for higher speed connectivity all phones should include the 'smart connectors', of course. 
    It's Apple's job to do whatever it can to prevent people being killed by their own stupidity while holding an iPhone. This is why we have safety regulations: because people are stupid. 
    It also goes beyond personal responsibility or legal requirements. There is also a financial incentive for Apple to create safer equipment because of their wealth and mindshare making them easy targets for lawsuits. Even when there's an issue that doesn't directly involve an Apple product we still see the media reference Apple because that gets the most attention, and we know that Apple will get sued much quicker than equipment failures from something unknown like Shenzhen Electronics Company, which I just made up.

Unfortunately, this mean we pay more for Apple products for an en expectations of legal fees, more intense testing, and paying for better components, but the latter two I'm happy to pay for, assuming it's not done to excess so that the net gain is, say, less than 0.00001% while being an increase in component testing by, say, 100 fold.
    I take your points though I don't buy that Apple is any any kind of obligation to create an alternative standard in the name of safety. As Rays2016 pointed out 'That's why we have regulations'. I am not at all against Apple developing and improving standards and I don't mind paying extra for quality and safety. Perhaps Apple could implement some kind of technology within their devices that will prevent excessive charges or bursts of energy. or otherwise sense when a cable was misbehaving. Apple could also do more to educate users on the dangers of using inferior products. I would always vote in favour of standardization in this area. The reason behind my vote for standardization here is that in my view cables and chargers are like roads and railway tracks. Unique proprietary versions versions of these result in unnecessary waste and wastefulness. I know little about wireless charging but I hope that in the future any phone, no matter what brand can be charged using any charging mat, no matter what brand. Anything else would be wasteful and silly. 
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Rayz2016 said:
    paxman said:
    Rayz2016 said:

It's Apple's job to do whatever it can to prevent people being killed by their own stupidity while holding an iPhone. This is why we have safety regulations: because people are stupid. 
    Hence the MFI program. By certifying a cable, Apple is doing its job by saying, "This is a safe cable to use with your iPhone." There's not a whole lot else Apple can do if a customer still insists on buying a $1 cable from Bob's Cable Warehouse that isn't up to the task.
  • Reply 34 of 75

If they switch to putting a USB-C to Lightning cable in the box, the only thing that will happen is that the angry-at-Apple tech bloggers and YouTube channels will shift from criticizing Apple for not including a USB-C to Lightning cable so the iPhone could connect to the MacBooks to criticizing them for including a USB-C to Lightning cable when all the PCs and USB power ports are still using USB-A.

its important when criticizing Apple to begin with the conclusion that Apple has "lost its way" and then make sure all the "evidence" is spun to support that conclusion.
    stompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 75
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    paxman said:
    Soli said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    paxman said:
    Rayz2016 said:

It also goes beyond personal responsibility or legal requirements. There is also a financial incentive for Apple to create safer equipment because of their wealth and mindshare making them easy targets for lawsuits. Even when there's an issue that doesn't directly involve an Apple product we still see the media reference Apple because that gets the most attention, and we know that Apple will get sued much quicker than equipment failures from something unknown like Shenzhen Electronics Company, which I just made up.

Unfortunately, this mean we pay more for Apple products for an en expectations of legal fees, more intense testing, and paying for better components, but the latter two I'm happy to pay for, assuming it's not done to excess so that the net gain is, say, less than 0.00001% while being an increase in component testing by, say, 100 fold.
    I take your points though I don't buy that Apple is any any kind of obligation to create an alternative standard in the name of safety.
    It's not an obligation, but it's good business if they can reasonably protect themselves from a certain amount of lawsuits as well as be able to defend themselves more easily when lawsuits do crop up. In that same vein, it's also why their extreme Green initiatives are considerably more important to them than other companies and why they submit so many patents, when neither are regulations. The former is for better perception and the latter is for better protection. Actual regulations only create a lowest common denominator, assuming they are actually regulated and the penalties are severe enough that they are adhered.

edit: Editing is back! 🎉
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 36 of 75
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    avon b7 said:
    Fast charging has an impact on battery life and heat dissipatiion, considering how absurdly packed the current Iphone already is, it's not something that easy to do correctly (if you don't want to mess up your battery or cook your circuitry, whichever comes first.
    Soli
  • Reply 37 of 75
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Using USB-C on the opposite end makes the most sense. It would provide up to 100W of power in a smaller form factor. Apple can add the ability to fast charge through a proven, solid connector. iOS devices don't really need the bandwidth that USB-C or TB3 provides unless they are looking to output more data for audio/video.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    qwwera said:
    The new MacBooks don't have the older USB port so it would be silly to keep it while the rest of the Apple ecosystem had already ditched it
    There's an argument as to why Apple might keep USB-A for another cycle: Even amongst the Mac installed base, USB-C is still minuscule, and within the entire PC market worldwide it's not even a blip. With the average PC lasting 3–5 years, with most PC makers still not shipping with any USB-C ports, and with most iPhone buyers being Windows users, it could still not be included… but I hope that's not the case.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 39 of 75
    "a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider"

...by "obtained", do they mean subscribe to his newsletter? not understanding this.
    It's a research note. Picture Sean Bean in an internet meme saying: "ONE DOES NOT MERELY SUBSCRIBE TO A RESEARCH NOTE."

No. research notes command dignity, pomp and circumstance. For example, passive voice must be used when describing transmission of the research note, in order to obfuscate the method of transmission, and to emphasize the recipient.

Research notes are not free either. It's pay to play. The subscriber might receive an email notifying them of a secure, password protected link containing the research note in PDF form. Don't be fooled however. This is not the actual research note, but a copy of which. That's right, a copy of which. The actual research note is in a locked vault, in a room full of immortal venomous snakes, guarded by the ghosts of dead kings. The research note sits atop a pedestal, with a single ray of light shining down upon it. To gaze directly at it is to turn to stone, but copies of which can be safely viewed on a computer screen.

Hope this answers your question, and have a great day!
    polymniaStrangeDaysbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 40 of 75
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    iPhone 8 starting price over $1000?  This is getting ridiculous for a bloody phone !