Trump using new iPhone to tweet despite prior calls for Apple boycott

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    I'm surprised applenisider didn't disable comments for this article like they've done with past posts that are political and/or controversial in nature. Perhaps it was a mistake. Perhaps it was intentional. Either way, I'm with some others that agree these comments will get locked or deleted when this thread gets out of hand.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    As a liberal Dem I'm no trump booster, but in fairness I don't think the two issue are incompatible. Personally I believe (and I understand this isn't the consensus on this board) that Apple should be helping law enforcement especially with terror-related crimes, but I still use an iPhone.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 74
    wood1208 said:
    Instead of criticizing Mr. Trump, say Hala Lu Ya!! At-last president got to senses that iPhone is way more secured. Because Bad old habits using android don't die fast, he might use android phone here and there to tweet.But, for nation's important communication, he is good on using iPhone.
    Except if you were in the Cyber Security business, you'll know the weakest link in the comm chain are the endpoints... not the computers, but the humans using them.  Him sitting in Mar-a-lago and discussing classified intel in front of guests taking pictures(videos) is a case in point.

And on the evil insider side, now his covert channels are more secure too
  • Reply 24 of 74
    Are some of you really that dumb?  Really?  The call for boycott was to put pressure on Apple to change stance and also to send a message.  Has nothing to do with the quality of the product.  That was relevant for a short period of time.  Like a true pro Trump moved on...
    gtr
  • Reply 25 of 74
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    eriamjh said:
    Actual words are meaningless to Trump.  Nothing he says is actually an indication of a position, mindset, plan, etc.  
    Just like every U.S. President before him. Smoke and mirrors from them all.
    techprod1gyboltsfan17
  • Reply 26 of 74
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    wood1208 said:
    Instead of criticizing Mr. Trump...
    Agreed. Let's stop making posts about him.
    Many of us wish we no longer had to read the excrement that spews from your keyboard, but you can't always get what you want 
    The "ignore" feature works pretty well on this site for individuals if that's what you want. But sometimes you just might find, you get what you need.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    As a liberal Dem I'm no trump booster, but in fairness I don't think the two issue are incompatible. Personally I believe (and I understand this isn't the consensus on this board) that Apple should be helping law enforcement especially with terror-related crimes, but I still use an iPhone.

They do help law enforcement.  Just not at the expense of the long-term security of their products.

If the CIA went to GM and asked them to help create a "back door" to allow them to remote detonate cars owned operated by terrorist would you support that?  Or how about going to a vault maker and asking them to make a special tool to defeat their best safe?

palomine
  • Reply 28 of 74
    There is a great deal of context behind these statements that readership like all of us are not privy to.  We are at the mercy of media's interpretation of this which is often false or exaggerated...Every once and a while we should demonstrate some restrain to all out criticism before we are soon to judge.
    gtr
  • Reply 29 of 74
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    An iPhone in Rose Orange. With the voice of Hannity for Siri.
    fasterquieterpalominezroger73
  • Reply 30 of 74
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    This maybe not the right place to be talking about Trump. However the worse thing we could do is ignore Trump. If not ignoring him means having tech websites shine a light on what he is doing then yes shine the light. If an iPhone is more secure than that is not good for us in general. We need to be acutely aware of everything this man is doing. Not saying but doing. Ignore his words but do not ignore his actions.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Since Trump won't stop tweeting, might as well tweet from a more secure device than before, right? That's the bit of good you can find in this article. The other aspect of it, is that Trump's words become more and more meaningless as time and tweets go on. He'll have problems when he will try to convey a real position on something really important, in the future... It's all hot air.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    lkrupp said:
    eriamjh said:
    Actual words are meaningless to Trump.  Nothing he says is actually an indication of a position, mindset, plan, etc.  
    Just like every U.S. President before him. Smoke and mirrors from them all.
    Not at all.  To validate Trump by somehow comparing him to previous presidents, no matter their lies and juggling truths, is irresponsible. Current POTUS is beyond anything ever seen before. You may like the fact that he is is NOT a politician, and you may buy into his "I'm a great deal maker" schpiel, but take a few minutes and learn why he is derided by so many. You are a smart guy and nobody will know that you put aside political leanings for a moment. Look at it with the post above in mind. Also, look at what Republicans and Democrats alike say of his understanding of health care. Remember he campaigned on this.
    randominternetpersonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    zroger73 said:
    I'm surprised applenisider didn't disable comments for this article like they've done with past posts that are political and/or controversial in nature. Perhaps it was a mistake. Perhaps it was intentional. Either way, I'm with some others that agree these comments will get locked or deleted when this thread gets out of hand.
    It's intentional.

But, it's very close to out of hand now.
    SpamSandwichmacgui
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    dewme said:

AI is an Apple focused tech and business oriented forum for those of us who want to escape the steaming pile of politics that we have to navigate through everywhere else in our daily lives since the last election cycle. It would be refreshing for AI to not even include politically slanted articles - AT ALL, especially those that dump on us and then disallow all commentary. These are insidious because they are clearly incendiary but preemptively throw up a "no mas" defense to prevent further damage. But the damage is already done. 
    Any time you deal with a company as large as Apple there's a certain amount of cross-pollination with politics.

Nobody at AI is dumping on anybody. We lock/delete threads when you all start dumping on each other.
    macgui
  • Reply 35 of 74
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Integrity really aint his thing.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    macxpress said:
    Could AI have found a more insulting picture for this article? 
    Yes, absolutely. How about this one or this one, or this one, or if we wanted to really skeevy how about something like this. I mean, take your pick really. We could go lots of ways with it.
    SpamSandwichdsdroundaboutnow
  • Reply 37 of 74
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Because that’s the only phone the government allows.
    Do your research Mikey!
    1) Obama had a hardened Blackberry.

2) I thought the Gov't had also approved certain Android-based vendors.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Tiring this is, your incessant desire to politicize this website.  You will lose us if you keep this up.  If we want politics and fake news and such, we can watch CNN or Fox or whatever.  Please, make this a pleasant site for dedicated Apple users.  Thank you for your hard work in the past, and, I hope for the future.
    The man has an iPhone. This is an Apple-focused website. He's the first POTUS to use one. He did call for a ban of Apple products not too long ago. This article makes perfect sense, and it's not a political statement.
    edited March 2017 jSnivelyMikeymikeroundaboutnow
  • Reply 39 of 74
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    jSnively said:
    macxpress said:
    Could AI have found a more insulting picture for this article? 
    Yes, absolutely. How about this one or this one, or this one, or if we wanted to really skeevy how about something like this. I mean, take your pick really. We could go lots of ways with it.
    Whow - those pictures ! I hear snowfakes crying. How about some integrity and respect towards the President instead ? Or write for CNN ? I like to read about Apple news here, in a positive way.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 40 of 74
    imagladryimagladry Posts: 105member
    I think Trump's "dislike" of Apple started with offshore manufacturing of the iPhone. It reared it's ugly head again with the San Bernardino investigation.