No touchscreens coming to pro Macs, says Apple's Phil Schiller

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Since Xcode is the number one pro app, iOS development is likely the majority use case for Xcode, and the Xcode iOS Simulator is very frustrating to use since it uses a mouse to simulate touch... I have difficulty believing "Touch doesn't even register on the list of things pro users are interested in talking about."

I'm sure it's not the number one request, but the idea that no one is interested or that it wouldn't be useful is bullshit.
    danceswithlysol
  • Reply 62 of 67
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    crowley said:
    Since Xcode is the number one pro app, iOS development is likely the majority use case for Xcode, and the Xcode iOS Simulator is very frustrating to use since it uses a mouse to simulate touch... I have difficulty believing "Touch doesn't even register on the list of things pro users are interested in talking about."

I'm sure it's not the number one request, but the idea that no one is interested or that it wouldn't be useful is bullshit.
    How are they tracking how many machines are using Pro software. Given most is sold well outside Apple's store?
  • Reply 63 of 67
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mattinoz said:
    crowley said:

How are they tracking how many machines are using Pro software. Given most is sold well outside Apple's store?
    Publicly released reports of sales/users?

Crash reports?

Does it matter all that much?
  • Reply 64 of 67
    lkrupp said:
    brucemc said:
    Is there any evidence the Surface Studio is selling? 
    I was going to ask the same thing.  Positive reviews are nice, but in the end meaningless as to whether a product sells well or is a success.  I think Surface Studio looks good, is an interesting option for those in its niche, but given its price tag & target market I expect sales to be less than Apple's Mac Pro have been.
    That’s beauty of the anonymous Internet. Anybody or any company or analyst can say anything without having to prove it. An anonymous poster can  come in here and say the Surface Studio is beating Apple’s brains in and certain people will take it as fact, no documentation needed. It’s a wondrous thing this Internet.
    Yeah so true. People here saying Microsoft Surface couldn't sell well might also not be true. As the beauty of internet yes u know.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    brucemc said:
    As for touchscreen Macs, I have yet to hear how people can advocate for both of these (as they often do on this forum, although in different threads):

1) Touchscreen Macs are required as it is far easier / more intuitive just to touch what you want...

2) iPad needs mouse support to be truly usable and productive, as the UI with finger is a cumbersome workflow...

Yes, the iPad needs mouse support added which should not be a stretch considering the have already added pencil support  (I can still hear Steve Jobs say "Who wants a stylus.. Yuck").   If Apple can flip flop on big screens and release a stylus there no reason to think that they can't and won't add mouse support. 

This is more about timing.   Apple probably has many other projects in the pipeline ahead of adding mouse support as they evolve both iOS and macOs to be closer.

I would love an iOS A10 based hybrid convertible like what Porshe Design just released.    Give me one product that I can use as either a laptop or tablet.    Whatever is more convenient whether sitting at a desk in laptop mode or surfacing the web in bed in tablet mode or drawing with the pencil on the couch.  And yes I would rather carry one device when traveling.

• Reply 66 of 67
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    crowley said:
    mattinoz said:
    crowley said:

Publicly released reports of sales/users?

Crash reports?

Does it matter all that much?
    If they are going on crash reports then CAD/BIM & 3Dvis should have been notable!

Then again to get back to the point every design forum gets nuts every time anyone releases anything touch sketching related. It really is nonsensical to say no interest. If I had to guess I'd say the interest among design pros was at at least ten fold greater than VR/AR which the engineers seem to more interested in. 

Hoping this is another one of Apples infamous strong offhand dismissals months before release.