Apple Watch helped CEO Tim Cook lose 30 pounds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    sog35 said:
    Tim Cook is a BIG MAN. The guy is a legit 6'3".  So losing 30 pounds of fat won't change his appearance as much as you would think. 

Plus we don't know how long Cook had access to the Watch. He may have been using it for 3+ years while it was still in development.
    👍 Solid post and good critical thinking.
    karld
  • Reply 22 of 37
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Good for him....I did notice the last few Keynotes he was looking a little "pobsey."

Looked like he was wearing his sister's jeans. 

I recently read a Nuerosurgen stated, "...if you are 30#'s overweight, you have everything!" High blood pressure, hypertension, pre-diabetes, heart disease, etc., etc.

Best
  • Reply 23 of 37
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,094member
    I didn't buy my AW for the fitness function. That said, it is at east entertaining to watch (!) them, and in some sense I do feel motivated to close rings. I've seen no discernible health benefit from it. YMMV.

The story John Gruber tells at daringfireball [edit: Jim Dalrymple at The Loop] is very interesting and inspiring. He had a dramatic weight loss as a result of the watch.

I do often question the anecdotes of wealthy people or pro athletes reporting how they improve their health. When it is your job, or you can make it your job for no pay, things are way, way easier: I honestly think it is almost trivial to optimize your weight and health. Hire a personal trainer and cook (!). Build your own gym. Buy the best equipment, bikes, and trips on your own jet to cycle the most beautiful places. See the doctor every week. And don't get me started on Oprah Winfrey and how she turns diet-of-the-season into a monetary cash-cow(!). 

And remember: the $400 or so for an AW (much less the iPhone to really make it useful) is a lot of money to most people, particularly those that look to the dollar menu at the fast food joint for their meals.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 24 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,930member
    cornchip said:
    cpsro said:
    If Tim Cook needed to lose 30 lbs., Phil Schiller needs to lose 100.
    Eddie's not far behind.
    While they are gaining weight and most americans eat too much, I can't wait to see you guys at 60 or whatever. If you aren't aware -- our metabolisms slow as we age, meaning that even if you eat the same exact amount of food as you did in your twenties, you'll get fatter and fatter in your thirties on up. The only way to counter this is to take in less calories or exert more energy. Easy to say, harder to do -- eating less than you and your family have always eaten, finding new time to add workouts, etc...

Thats why people get fatter as they age. It's not always laziness or indulgence. You have to actually work at negsting this normal biological process. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 25 of 37

pakitt said:
    "Cook said he wakes up at 3:45 a.m. each day to read emails and work out"
    Lucky him, he can go to bed at 8pm. And he should optimize his Inbox - if you need to wake up so early to read your emails, you are doing it wrong.
    Ah another armchair executive. Let me know when your company is on the map. Any map. 
    Solifastasleepkarld
  • Reply 26 of 37

asdasd said:
    cali said:
    pakitt said:
    "Cook said he wakes up at 3:45 a.m. each day to read emails and work out"
    Lucky him, he can go to bed at 8pm. And he should optimize his Inbox - if you need to wake up so early to read your emails, you are doing it wrong.
    He goes into Apple at 4:30AM.

Dr. Dre is one of the hardest working men in the industry so when he asked Craig Federighi what time he can go in it was a little inside joke for fans. Craig replied "well Tim goes in at 4:30" a kind of nudge at Dre. Both are competitive business men.
    Its funny though to worry about your health but not about sleeping. I do workout but by God I need my sleep. Its really one of the most important things
    Especially if weight training -- quality sleep is imperative for recovery and muscle growth, since the growing happens in bed, not the gym. 
  • Reply 27 of 37
    eightzero said:

The story John Gruber tells at daringfireball is very interesting and inspiring. He had a dramatic weight loss as a result of the watch.
    I believe you're referring to Jim Dalrymple of The Loop, not Gruber. Gruber makes comments that he's not a very active person. 
    eightzero
  • Reply 28 of 37
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    cpsro said:
    If Tim Cook needed to lose 30 lbs., Phil Schiller needs to lose 100.
    Eddy Cue obviously is using his AppleWatch incorrectly.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,449member
    Tim Cook is 6'3" so 30 lbs is not that much compared to average 5'10" guy. All the extra weight is probably around his tummy which is easily concealed. 

I don't look fat but medically, I am considered 20lbs overweight. 

karld
  • Reply 30 of 37
    netrox said:
    Tim Cook is 6'3" so 30 lbs is not that much compared to average 5'10" guy. All the extra weight is probably around his tummy which is easily concealed. 

I don't look fat but medically, I am considered 20lbs overweight. 
    I had no idea he was that tall until this thread.
    edited May 2017 StrangeDayskarld
  • Reply 31 of 37
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,094member
    eightzero said:

The story John Gruber tells at daringfireball is very interesting and inspiring. He had a dramatic weight loss as a result of the watch.
    I believe you're referring to Jim Dalrymple of The Loop, not Gruber. Gruber makes comments that he's not a very active person. 
    Yes, you are right. My bad....It was Jim....
  • Reply 32 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Jim Cramer should get two Apple Watches.
    karld
  • Reply 33 of 37
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,435member
    eightzero said:
    I didn't buy my AW for the fitness function. That said, it is at east entertaining to watch (!) them, and in some sense I do feel motivated to close rings. I've seen no discernible health benefit from it. YMMV.

The story John Gruber tells at daringfireball [edit: Jim Dalrymple at The Loop] is very interesting and inspiring. He had a dramatic weight loss as a result of the watch.

I do often question the anecdotes of wealthy people or pro athletes reporting how they improve their health. When it is your job, or you can make it your job for no pay, things are way, way easier: I honestly think it is almost trivial to optimize your weight and health. Hire a personal trainer and cook (!). Build your own gym. Buy the best equipment, bikes, and trips on your own jet to cycle the most beautiful places. See the doctor every week. And don't get me started on Oprah Winfrey and how she turns diet-of-the-season into a monetary cash-cow(!). 

And remember: the $400 or so for an AW (much less the iPhone to really make it useful) is a lot of money to most people, particularly those that look to the dollar menu at the fast food joint for their meals.
    The entry point is not $400, and anyone who eats from fast food dollar menus is not concerned with their health. 
  • Reply 34 of 37
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,374moderator
    Good for him....I did notice the last few Keynotes he was looking a little "pobsey."

Looked like he was wearing his sister's jeans. 
    These are late 2015 / early 2016:

Image result for tim cook 2017

Early 2017:

He seems to have lost the overhang on the stomach and his face/neck areas looks tighter. This is over the course of 1 year. The Apple Watch has only been available for 2 years. The best personal trainer is the one you have with you.

The next step they appear to be looking at is diet, if they could get a simple way for meals to pass the nutrition values to the watch then it knows how to set the targets better to burn off what you take in. These could even be number codes so they can have a company id and a product code. If you go into Starbucks and order a particular drink, it can have e.g STB10 on the side. Typing that code into the Watch would bring up all the data. It could also work with beacons so you don't have to type the codes but choose the item.

When they do marketing for the Watch, Apple focuses on the fitness aspect but I don't think that encourages couch potatoes nearly as much as showing results because they identify with the before pictures. Maybe they can fatten up Christy Turlington and film her as she burns it back off. They could use Phil Schiller but I like him better with more weight, he's too serious when he's slim. Jony Ive looks better slim though, get him on the Watch fitness plan then the marketing video would be him narrating about himself:

Image result for jony ive 2017

The Mad Money videos are here:

Soli
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Thanks for the images, @Marvin. I can see it now.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,383member
    The $400 or so for an AW (much less the iPhone to really make it useful) is a lot of money to most people, particularly those that look to the dollar menu at the fast food joint for their meals, and yet it's cheaper than hiring a personal trainer and cook (!), building your own gym, buying the best equipment, bikes, and trips on your own jet to cycle the most beautiful places, and seeing the doctor every week.

The key element is conviction, or for some, motivation. Without that, or a personal trainer, all the other stuff is just stuff.