Why Apple won't ditch Lightning for USB-C on 'iPhone 8'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    It would make no sense for Apple to stick with Lightning cable for the next iPhone. The new MacBook Pros already use USB C for everything (data, power, a/v). What's Apple's plan for connecting your new iPhone to your new MacBook Pro? Some weird USB C to Lightning cable? A Lightning adapter for USB C cables? It doesn't make sense to go that route. As far as strength goes I think it's rather silly to compare hypotheticals (you didn't actually try breaking a USB C cable while plugged into something); this kind of speculation is inconclusive. If Apple doesn't adopt to USB C on the next iPhone they will surely be behind as many smartphone and consumer electronics manufacturers are either already adopting USB C or planning to in the products to be released within the next year. Not to mention they'll be making it even more frustrating for Apple users since they'll have a never ending stream of adapters just to use their Apple products the way they've been using them before USB C. I've been using a device with a USB C port for close to a year and a half and it's been fantastic. I specifically sought out a phone with a C port because I wanted the newest USB iteration (mainly faster charging speeds and reversible design). I hated Micro USB on smartphones because it was always such a pain to plug in, especially in the dark, and they failed on me frequently. I had to buy an induction charging hub for my Nexus 6 because the charger would fall out over night and I'd wake up to my phone on 15%. USB C is fast, snug, reversible, and I haven't broke a single cable yet. Then again, I've never broke a Micro USB cable, or any USB cable really. USB C is simply superior and will very soon replace every cable you use for data, a/v and power (even Ethernet)
  • Reply 42 of 43
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    How is a USB-C-to-Lightning cable - which Apple already sells (I have one) - any "weirder" than a USB-A-to-Lightning cable? 
    Solifastasleepshamino
  • Reply 43 of 43
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    osiris010 said:
    It would make no sense for Apple to stick with Lightning cable for the next iPhone. The new MacBook Pros already use USB C for everything (data, power, a/v). What's Apple's plan for connecting your new iPhone to your new MacBook Pro? Some weird USB C to Lightning cable? A Lightning adapter for USB C cables? It doesn't make sense to go that route. As far as strength goes I think it's rather silly to compare hypotheticals (you didn't actually try breaking a USB C cable while plugged into something); this kind of speculation is inconclusive. If Apple doesn't adopt to USB C on the next iPhone they will surely be behind as many smartphone and consumer electronics manufacturers are either already adopting USB C or planning to in the products to be released within the next year. Not to mention they'll be making it even more frustrating for Apple users since they'll have a never ending stream of adapters just to use their Apple products the way they've been using them before USB C. I've been using a device with a USB C port for close to a year and a half and it's been fantastic. I specifically sought out a phone with a C port because I wanted the newest USB iteration (mainly faster charging speeds and reversible design). I hated Micro USB on smartphones because it was always such a pain to plug in, especially in the dark, and they failed on me frequently. I had to buy an induction charging hub for my Nexus 6 because the charger would fall out over night and I'd wake up to my phone on 15%. USB C is fast, snug, reversible, and I haven't broke a single cable yet. Then again, I've never broke a Micro USB cable, or any USB cable really. USB C is simply superior and will very soon replace every cable you use for data, a/v and power (even Ethernet)
    while I don't disagree with you on USB-C as a cable, the USB-C to Lightning cable has been around as long as the MacBook has -- a bit over two years.
    fastasleepshamino