Andy Rubin's Essential announces first devices, including Apple HomeKit-ready assistant

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    crowley said:
    gatorguy said:
    ...which can be triggered ... by glancing at it.
    That's scary.  Is this device watching me all the time?  How does it know I glanced at it?
    Perhaps the same way the old Moto X did from back in late 2014. Search "attentive display". 

But a phone camera has a fairly narrow field of view (probably the wrong term, hopefully you know what I mean) in which to look for a face, a device in the corner of the room needs to be looking at the whole room, at all focal distances, right?

Doesn't seem quite right.
    phone cameras have pretty wide lens (compared to DSLR's, that would be considered wide 50mm is usually considered the normal focal range), 10-20mm is considered ultra wide. Depth of field on any small sensor camera with that wide a lens would be pretty much infinite.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    cpsro said:
    The OS can also automatically discover new devices on its [sic] network and help with configuration [report their existence and your activities to the mother roach].

"Its" is correct. It's a possessive, not a contraction.
    gatorguyfastasleepredgeminipa
  • Reply 23 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:
    His thinking is interesting here and his reason for setting up this company. It's certainly the most interesting Android phone I've seen yet. It'll be intriguing to see how it reviews. I like that drop-durability was part of its design.
    this isn't an Android phone
    Incorrect. It is, and running Android Nougat 7.1.1
    edited May 2017 redgeminipa
  • Reply 24 of 47
    cassherncasshern Posts: 10member
    sockrolid said:
    The company's other product is the Android-based Essential Phone, built with a titanium body, ceramic back, and Gorilla Glass 5 protecting a 5.71-inch, 2560-by-1312 display.
    Hey.
    Apple.
    I want the iPhone "8" to have a ceramic enclosure.  Not just a Gorilla Glass back like my old iPhone 4 (circa 2010).
    You already have experience with ceramic enclosures (Series 2 Apple Watch Edition).
    Make us proud and solve two problems at once with a ceramic enclosure for the high-end 2017 iPhone.
    (Problem 1: Gorilla Glass shatters when iPhone is dropped.  Problem 2: Metal back blocks inductive charging.)

Oh, and please make the 2017 iPhone ceramic enclosure black.  Not white like the Apple Watch Edition.
    The Apple Watch ceramic edition and the jet black iPhone 7 both seem to point in that direction as test beds. I also saw then and got the same interpretation as you, instead of the glass back as rumored. 
  • Reply 25 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    tzeshan said:
    For the same reason Apple Watch is not designed up to Jobs standard.  I think Jobs will design AW to be a Siri device.  At present you ask a question to Siri on iPhone it will display a list of web sites if it does not know the answer.  This is not possible on AW.  Jobs will put pressure on Apple engineers such that this thing will never happen on AW.  There is a lot of work to be done so this can be accomplished. Tim Cook does not have the strong will to push Apple employees to do such things like Jobs used to do. 

The Echo is designed following this philosophy.  It only provide answers that do not rely on web links.  
    You know he's been dead for years, right?
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 26 of 47
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Curious as to how it works with HomeKit & Siri..
    Assume for HomeKit it uses an open source library for compatibility like you can do with RasberryPi and other maker kit. 
  • Reply 27 of 47
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    The Essential Phone will have a tough hill to climb.  It will have to slug it out against the other high-end Android devices (Samsung Galaxy Sx & Note, HTC, Google Pixel,...) without carrier support, on-line sales only, with few differentiating software features.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    CelTan said:
    At $699, why not just get an iPhone :)

5.7" full-screen QHD display (admittedly LCD rather than OLED), 13MP dual rear camera, titanium body and ceramic back, 4GB RAM and 128GB storage.  Spec wise this is competing with the upcoming iPhone 8 that is rumored to start at $1,000 a lot more than it competes with the $649 iPhone 7 or even the $769 iPhone 7+ both of which only have 32GB of storage.  While I prefer iOS to Android and will likely stay in the Apple ecosystem, this phone is an outstanding piece of engineering for $700.

• Reply 29 of 47
    bruckheimerbruckheimer Posts: 116member
    I love how he says Android has 85% market share and Apple only has 13% market share.

That's hard to believe.

He also says fragmentation is not bad on Android it's one of there strengths and Apple only hows latest iOS on 60% of there devices.

Fragmentation on Android security is a joke.

But no bloatware installed is nice to know for his phone.

Be interesting to see how his new operating system is going to work, but if it uses Android, that will have concerns for a lot of people when it comes to security.

A side from that, nice design. At least he defended Apple for dropping the ear phone jack, called it making progress. lol.

• Reply 30 of 47
    I love how he says Android has 85% market share and Apple only has 13% market share.

That's hard to believe.

He also says fragmentation is not bad on Android it's one of there strengths and Apple only hows latest iOS on 60% of there devices.

Be interesting to see how his new operating system is going to work, but if it uses Android, that will have concerns for a lot of people when it comes to security.

A side from that, nice design. At least he defended Apple for dropping the ear phone jack, called it making progress. lol.

The ones who will be concerned about Android security are the ones who don't know that Android and iOS are both secure, instead buying into sensational headlines. You are most likely confusing security with privacy, understandable with so much disinformation written about it. In fairness common consumer-focused Google Android phones don't make privacy a major thrust. In truth Android can be even more secure than iOS currently is based on security professionals comments, as well as extremely private. 
  • Reply 31 of 47
    bruckheimerbruckheimer Posts: 116member
    Security and Privacy is very rare today and with iOS it is much stronger than Android in my opinion, Keep in mind Android is also open source which makes it less secure.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Security and Privacy is very rare today and with iOS it is much stronger than Android in my opinion, Keep in mind Android is also open source which makes it less secure.
    Many would argue being open-source makes it far more likely that security issues are found and fixed with so many eyes looking at it. 
  • Reply 33 of 47
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    What do think about Darwin then?
  • Reply 34 of 47
    avon b7 said:
    Ah, good point!
    https://opensource.apple.com/release/os-x-1012.html
  • Reply 35 of 47
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

That's hard to believe.
    Although little reported, an interesting nugget of information out of Google I/O was the statement that Google Android has bout 2B active devices.  We know from past statements (Jan 2016 statement that Apple has 1B active devices) and reputable Apple modellers that Apple likely has over 1B active iOS devices.  So Google Android to Apple iOS devices is about 2:1 in actual use/installed base.  A completely different narrative than the pure "units shipped" annually.  Now add to that the fact that Apple's customers are generally considered premium (as they or a family member of business had to buy it for high-end price), and the narrative is changed again.

Who is really winning in smartphones...it isn't even debatable anymore...
  • Reply 36 of 47
    brucemc said:

That's hard to believe.
    Although little reported, an interesting nugget of information out of Google I/O was the statement that Google Android has bout 2B active devices.  We know from past statements (Jan 2016 statement that Apple has 1B active devices) and reputable Apple modellers that Apple likely has over 1B active iOS devices.  So Google Android to Apple iOS devices is about 2:1 in actual use/installed base.  A completely different narrative than the pure "units shipped" annually.  Now add to that the fact that Apple's customers are generally considered premium (as they or a family member of business had to buy it for high-end price), and the narrative is changed again.

Who is really winning in smartphones...it isn't even debatable anymore...
    Google will be resident on the vast majority of iOS/Android mobile devices (yup even iPhones), which is all that Google really cares about at the end of the day. Both Google and Apple end up winners. 

EDIT; There may be an Essential version of Google Glass in the works too.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 37 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

That's hard to believe.

The 85% vs. 13% figure may be correct, but the VAST majority of Android-using phones are far behind Apple's iOS in terms of them using the most recent version of their phone OS because Android runs on a far greater number of phones that cannot and will not ever be updated.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 38 of 47

That's hard to believe.

The 85% vs. 13% figure may be correct, but the VAST majority of Android-using phones are far behind Apple's iOS in terms of them using the most recent version of their phone OS because Android runs on a far greater number of phones that cannot and will not ever be updated.
    Exactly!

• Reply 39 of 47
    avon b7 said:
    A lot better than Android.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member

That's hard to believe.

Is it not equally true that those same users are more likely to upgrade faster than iOS users and therefore jump straight to the latest Android? Many people buy cheap with the idea from the outset to upgrade more frequently.