Intel teases speedy 'Coffee Lake' processors that could come to Apple's 2018 MacBooks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    WHAT THE F......

1. Coffeelake is Desktop Only. Not Laptop.
    2. 2018 is Cannonlake, 10nm of Kabylake
    3. 30% improvement is in ONE benchmarks where the 14nm+ allows the CPU to run at basically higher clock.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    shapetablesshapetables Posts: 201member
    Soli said:
    I just hope that something worthwhile will be available by the time my 2011 MacBook Pro finally kicks the bucket. This thing has been a tank and Intel hasn't done a great job of coming out with anything that really slaughters it.
    So much has changed since 2011. You don't even have a Retina, IPS display at this point, nd even if you've installed an SSD you're still on SATA-II, so anything you get today will look better and be faster than what you're using now, even if you got the low-end model for the size category.
    That's incorrect, all of the old MBPs are IPS panels (the matte versions are really spectacular too) and many many people do NOT care about Retina (especially if they are running 1080p "natively" on full 17" displays). SATAI and SATAII are the Achilles' Heal, but it isn't that big a deal when running on SSD and they may have USB3 or an ExpressCard slot that can accept a USB3 and/or eSATA controllers (which run $25-$35). Obviously if you are FREQUENTLY doing video editing and reading/writing multi-GB files all day long, the newer models are better...but the OP's point is that the newer, faster models don't deliver enough of an improvement (for general purpose usage) to warrant an upgrade, LITTLE KNOWN A MULTI-THOUSAND DOLLAR UPGRADE, and IMHO he's totally right. But without preventative maintenance (cleaning, replacing broken plastic parts that keep components in place and spaced properly), these older models can't be expected to last.  --Also, remember you should not be running production databases (not even FileMakerPro or Excel) on any Mac (new or old) that does not have ECC memory, only the MacPro series have ECC memory.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    shapetablesshapetables Posts: 201member
    ksec said:
    WHAT THE F......

3. 30% improvement is in ONE benchmarks where the 14nm+ allows the CPU to run at basically higher clock.
    That's not correct. Coffee Lake refers to 14nm chips containing the 8th generation Core processors and will be released in X, S, H and U editions. (X=eXtreme, S=Desktop, H=Notebook, U=Ultra Low Power). This is a major upgrade that achieves better performance mainly through architectural changes in the Core processor (not through better manufacturing) and what's being reported today is that this will be major (1/3rd faster).

Skylake is the 6th generation, 14nm chips containing the 6th generation Core processors; it's what's used by Apple in current flagship MBPs.

Kabylake is the 7th generation, 14nm chips containing a new 7th generation Core processors, but unlike previous generational improvements, this 7th generation is only intended to be an incremental "optimization" of the 6th generation Core. It was unfortunate Apple didn't include it in the units it shipped last December, but they could offer really low cost upgrades if the performance bump is really that significant (how big is the main board in an MBP? 3"?) Apple should be furious that Intel is leaking info about it's successor on the "eve" of the release of its first models based on this generation.

Cannonlake is the 10th generation (what happened to the 9th?), 10nm chips containing the 7th generation Cores and it's really late to market. The die-shrink from 14nm to 10nm will offer all kinds of benefits (lower power/heat at same speed) because, Physics.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 24 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Soli said:
    I just hope that something worthwhile will be available by the time my 2011 MacBook Pro finally kicks the bucket. This thing has been a tank and Intel hasn't done a great job of coming out with anything that really slaughters it.
    So much has changed since 2011. You don't even have a Retina, IPS display at this point, nd even if you've installed an SSD you're still on SATA-II, so anything you get today will look better and be faster than what you're using now, even if you got the low-end model for the size category.
    That's incorrect, all of the old MBPs are IPS panels.
    No. No they're not.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Remember, between now and the actual release date, the benchmarks will slowly slip downwards, getting closer to the truth. 
  • Reply 26 of 34
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 813member
    Knowing how Apple is late to update its CPUs, look for the new Intel Coffee Lake to be in the 2022 MacBook Pros! Apple seems to lag 3-4 years behind just to get a bargain price!
  • Reply 27 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Knowing how Apple is late to update its CPUs, look for the new Intel Coffee Lake to be in the 2022 MacBook Pros! Apple seems to lag 3-4 years behind just to get a bargain price!
    Apple is NOT 3–4 years late to update CPUs. What you're probably thinking of is when Intel first announces a CPU or when Intel first launches a CPU code name that isn't in the correct power usage range for MBPs, but even then there's not a 3–4 range between.

Kaby Lake

Announced: 30 August 2016*
    First Launch: 3Q2016, but only for low to medium-end machines**.
    First Launch: 1Q2017 for high-performance mobile computing***.

First launch represents the very first units available for sale, not the high volumes a company like Apple needs when they first launch a new device so higher volume machines will always be a few months behind. Months, not years.

* http://www.anandtech.com/show/10610/intel-announces-7th-gen-kaby-lake-14nm-plus-six-notebook-skus-desktop-coming-in-january
    ** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake#Low.2FMedium_power
    *** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake#High_power

• Reply 28 of 34
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    vannygee said:
    If my 3-month old 15" touch bar is outdated I'll be pretty mad..
    They should update the 12" and wait for coffee lake for the rest
    Why? It is not as if your current device will suddenly stop working the day the new ones are released.
    Or, are you one of those who use the latest 'shiny-shiny' thing as a fashion statement? ("Hey, look at what I've got? Ain't I cool?" etc).

If you don't want your current device and are that mad, why not just give it away. Then you won't have anything to be mad over any more.
    I'll pass as my 2015 model is still going strong.

Solimacxpress
  • Reply 29 of 34
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    Soli said:
    I find myself in a very similar situation to him. Having swapped in an SSD and more RAM, it is essentially a new machine for real world everyday tasks and in spite of the base limitations (slower SATA etc) and non retina screen, it will keep me going until it dies.

Retina is not such a big deal for me and definitely not worth the extra cost for me. If Apple offered truly new MBPs including a model without retina class display, I think many people would gladly sacrifice that element for a decent - cheaper - screen. 

It may not be the fastest machine available but while it meets my speed needs, I have no pressing need to shave a second of habitual tasks and for bottlenecks like external data transfer, the patience required is not that much more than for a brand spanking new MBP. If I were transferring huge amounts of data all day it would be different but that isn't the case.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,046member

The note advises performance estimates are "Pre-Silicon and are subject to change," with a 7-percent margin of error. 
    I wish Intel the best of success with this. We really need it because CPU performance gains in the real world (where it counts, on the desk/lap of the end user) have been slowing down quite a bit recently. But their predictions are theoretical and in simulation. There is a lot that can go wrong once it's put into a real chip.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    ksec said:
    WHAT THE F......

That's not correct. Coffee Lake refers to 14nm chips containing the 8th generation Core processors and will be released in X, S, H and U editions. (X=eXtreme, S=Desktop, H=Notebook, U=Ultra Low Power). This is a major upgrade that achieves better performance mainly through architectural changes in the Core processor (not through better manufacturing) and what's being reported today is that this will be major (1/3rd faster).

Skylake is the 6th generation, 14nm chips containing the 6th generation Core processors; it's what's used by Apple in current flagship MBPs.

Kabylake is the 7th generation, 14nm chips containing a new 7th generation Core processors, but unlike previous generational improvements, this 7th generation is only intended to be an incremental "optimization" of the 6th generation Core. It was unfortunate Apple didn't include it in the units it shipped last December, but they could offer really low cost upgrades if the performance bump is really that significant (how big is the main board in an MBP? 3"?) Apple should be furious that Intel is leaking info about it's successor on the "eve" of the release of its first models based on this generation.

Cannonlake is the 10th generation (what happened to the 9th?), 10nm chips containing the 7th generation Cores and it's really late to market. The die-shrink from 14nm to 10nm will offer all kinds of benefits (lower power/heat at same speed) because, Physics.
    Are you an Intel marketing person? If you want technical details, try Anandtech or Ars as basic.  Because as the test footnotes, clear describe, it was given much higher clockspeed and gain the 30% improvement.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    ksec said:
    ksec said:
    WHAT THE F......

Are you an Intel marketing person? If you want technical details, try Anandtech or Ars as basic.  Because as the test footnotes, clear describe, it was given much higher clockspeed and gain the 30% improvement.
    Nothing Shapetables said about Coffeelake is wrong.

Regarding the benchmarks, pre-fabrication chips were given the higher clock speed and improvement. We've seen this before -- pre-release very fast benchmarks, production chips much slower than promised by sample tests.
    edited May 2017 hmm
  • Reply 33 of 34
    [...] Cannonlake is the 10th generation (what happened to the 9th?) [...]
    9th generation is presumably Cascade Lake? -- the next generation (still 14nm) of "scalable" Xeon after Skylake-SP.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member
    Still waiting for them to announce "Groom Lake".
    tallest skil