Inside iOS 11: Apple Music's social sharing isn't just Ping reborn

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2017
Apple has added a new social sharing feature in Apple Music with iOS 11, allowing users to set up a public profile to share what they're listening to.

Editor's note: This examination was originally published in July of 2017, but has been revised and republished to reflect the release of iOS 11.

The new features in Apple Music mostly live in the "For You" recommendation area. Setup of the new feature is easy. A single button brings users to the signup page, where they need to pick a "nickname" to use the service.

Despite the service being for social sharing of playlists, user privacy is still an option. Users can select between sharing with anybody and everybody, or just limit who can see your choices to those you specifically allow the data to be shared with.

In typical Apple fashion, the new social sharing feature gives users granular control over what level of privacy they want to set -- and we feel that's important. You don't have to share everything, if you don't want. If you think you've got a particularly shameful playlist, you can toggle it off.

After you find other Apple Music users that you want to share with, they and you can paw through playlists that they've elected to share. The feature will still share playlists containing your personal music that isn't on Apple Music -- but it won't share the tracks that aren't available from Apple.

All in all, the sharing feature in Apple Music will take off as more users choose to share. Just a few days after launch, the system appears fairly well populated which speaks well about iOS 11 adoption numbers.

But, Ping worked well too, and wasn't accepted by users. The integration of easy sharing between Apple Music may be the "secret sauce" that makes Apple's second go-around at music-based social networking really work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I know grandparents and toddlers who are more social media savvy than Apple. 

This is the result for Apple when they don't understand and believe and only put in half-hearted effort.
    edited July 2017 williamlondonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    A few friends and I have a Messages thread called "Music Club" but only one or two of us pay for Apple Music and I'm not one of them. I'm guessing this is only part of the paid section?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    if it requires me to suscribe to Apple Music monthly then it is not a feature. It's just another optional service, and one I'll not recognize. I have zero interest paying for streaming.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    if it requires me to suscribe to Apple Music monthly then it is not a feature. It's just another optional service, and one I'll not recognize. I have zero interest paying for streaming.
    I pay for it and love it - different music every week!

To each their own.
    lostkiwiGeorgeBMacurahara
  • Reply 5 of 19
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    It's a feature of Apple Music - and Apple Music is a paid-for service.

If you don't want to pay for it (or any streaming music service), that's entirely your business. For those of us who do, it's a nice little upgrade.
    lostkiwiGeorgeBMacurahara
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    noelos said:

If you don't want to pay for it (or any streaming music service), that's entirely your business. For those of us who do, it's a nice little upgrade.
    Yeah, I'm not sure that this will drive Apple Music subscriptions to any large degree other than perhaps peer pressure, similar to Cornchip's scenario a few posts up.

It is a decent upgrade, and vaguely reminiscent of how AIM used to be able to take what track you were listening to and put it as your status. That's not iMessage functionality, mind you, but its in the same vein.
    edited July 2017 lostkiwicornchipGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 19
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    My whole family loves Apple Music and the family plan we share.  My wife and I listen to far more music today, because of Apple Music.  We've both downloaded so many albums in and out of the typical genre's we've been listening to.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Maybe I'm just too old or stubborn to get it, but even if I decided to subscribe to Apple Music, why would I care what other people are listening to?
    jbdragonurahara
  • Reply 9 of 19
    8tracks (app) and 8tracks.com is still the best social music site/app. 

I use it everyday. The playlists for any genre/artists/moods is fantastic. Users are the curators! It just works really well. 

• Reply 10 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    mike1 said:
    Maybe I'm just too old or stubborn to get it, but even if I decided to subscribe to Apple Music, why would I care what other people are listening to?
    I can't see people following each other's listening habits but being able to share playlists can come in useful. It's a modern version of a mixtape. Someone could compile playlists for different things like driving, relaxing, kids music and share them with family/friends. I don't think even that's a feature that would be used often though.

The more useful part of Apple Music's social features would be following artists, getting updates and commenting on their profile. Apple Music has the Connect feature:

AI published a brief guide on how to follow/unfollow artists:

Maybe Apple can automate and market that more. It wouldn't be good to be bombarded with messages about updates but there can be a feature like how Apple News works. When someone has a particular artist in their collection, that news page can automatically fill with details about events, new albums/songs, videos. If they don't want to hear about a particular artist, they remove them from the feed. It can show a daily unread icon somewhere so that people can see there's something new to see.

Musicians don't seem to use Connect to the full and this may be down to not enough people manually following their profiles. There's even a guide here saying it's better to turn it off:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2943254/turning-off-connect-makes-apple-music-better.html

If people were automatically subscribed to unobtrusive updates when they follow an artist, the artists would be more inclined to update their profiles with meaningful content. Otherwise, they'll just use the main social networks.

The news feed can also pull in data from other platforms to save people having to visit each one. If someone is subscribed to Taylor Swift, Maroon5, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry... the feed can pull Instagram images, tweets, new music releases, concert notifications, Facebook posts, Youtube videos from all of them into a timeline. That saves having to visit each social media site and artist separately. Apple could also have some people dedicated to boosting artist profiles by finding/acquiring exclusive content like live recordings at concerts without the crowd noise.

If someone was following John Legend, their feed would show people finding babies that look like him:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/john-legend-responds-baby-went-viral-looking-just-like-131216145.html

and maybe a follow-up from his wife Chrissy Tiegen telling people to stop sending her pictures of babies that look like him:

People who are only using Apple Music for the music could be missing out on this if they don't keep up with social media. Apple could more seamlessly bring them together.

Making official music videos more visible would be nice too like a video play button next to tracks rather than hunting down the Vevo channels on Youtube and it can cache the videos locally to save them having to be streamed every time. Sometimes the videos give more meaning to the song:

edited July 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 19
    6ryph3n6ryph3n Posts: 53member
    mike1 said:
    This has actually been one of my bigger complaints about Apple Music up to now. On Spotify I am subscribed to multiple playlists published by other users. I like film scores and it’s really nice to find a good score from a film I haven’t seen yet when it gets added to a playlist. I also have a shared playlist of songs we sing at my church and other members subscribe to it. 

My only remaining complaint about Apple Music is that it doesn’t work with my Echo Dot (yeah, I know... but dang it’s convenient). If I can score a HomePod for Christmas then Apple Music may finally win me back over. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    6ryph3n said:
    mike1 said:
    This has actually been one of my bigger complaints about Apple Music up to now. On Spotify I am subscribed to multiple playlists published by other users. I like film scores and it’s really nice to find a good score from a film I haven’t seen yet when it gets added to a playlist. I also have a shared playlist of songs we sing at my church and other members subscribe to it. 

My only remaining complaint about Apple Music is that it doesn’t work with my Echo Dot (yeah, I know... but dang it’s convenient). If I can score a HomePod for Christmas then Apple Music may finally win me back over. 
    It's not exactly voice control of it, but "Alexa, pair bluetooth" would allow you to use it as a speaker for your streaming device, like an iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    noelos said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that this will drive Apple Music subscriptions to any large degree other than perhaps peer pressure, similar to Cornchip's scenario a few posts up.

It is a decent upgrade, and vaguely reminiscent of how AIM used to be able to take what track you were listening to and put it as your status. That's not iMessage functionality, mind you, but its in the same vein.
    Hah peer pressure! Yeah I mean it's not that I don't want to subscribe, it's just not in the budg right now. The funny thing is that even if we all subscribed to Apple Music I doubt most of us would even use that feature that much. Now if we could all  peer pressure the one quack with a blackberry droid to join the big boy club. 
  • Reply 14 of 19
    The author claims Ping worked well?  Ping was riddled with spam and the artists didn't care about posting anything.  Apple quickly realized that no one had any interest and killed it.  Adding a social media aspect won't help Apple Music. Most people do not prefer the 'rental' model of music. Stop paying and it all stops playing.  No thanks.  
  • Reply 15 of 19
    6ryph3n6ryph3n Posts: 53member

It's not exactly voice control of it, but "Alexa, pair bluetooth" would allow you to use it as a speaker for your streaming device, like an iPhone.
    Voice control is what really sets it apart though. I thought a standalone voice speaker was kind of gimmicki until I used it but now I use it all the time.

I actually prefer Apple Music over Spotify anyway now that they’ve got lyrics and playlist sharing built in but Echo/Alexa is my primary listening device so that compatibility is important. 
  • Reply 16 of 19
    The author claims Ping worked well?  Ping was riddled with spam and the artists didn't care about posting anything.  Apple quickly realized that no one had any interest and killed it.  Adding a social media aspect won't help Apple Music. Most people do not prefer the 'rental' model of music. Stop paying and it all stops playing.  No thanks.  
    I didn't say it was used, or adopted -- but it worked, while it was supported.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mknelson said:

To each their own.
    .... and pretty much any song, any artist or any album you want -- when you want it..
  • Reply 18 of 19
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    mknelson said:

To each their own.
    .... and pretty much any song, any artist or any album you want -- when you want it..
    Not if you would like to go to 'eastern' music. E.g. try finding Japanese Pop songs there. It's just not enough.
    I still love streaming music (I use another service though). The flexibility to get new music or search for other user's playlists is great!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Most people prefer paying next to nothing for something, and that's what streaming is targeting.
    For $5 a month you get 10 songs, or you can split your $5 bucks into a family plan and get unlimited music.
    Tell me which one will people prefer?

Obviously, if its your favorite song ever, maybe you want to own it, but Mr Everyone will just stream or go for the free level of Spotify.

Renting would be more akin to getting one song for 5 cents for the month instead of paying for it and then you'd lose access (with DRM) as soon as you don't.
    Maybe it is like that if you only listen to a few songs per month (and nothing else), but streamers don't do that in general.