Apple's 'iPhone 8' might ship with wireless charging, front-facing 3D camera disabled due ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    redpony said:
    I can’t see apple shipping/or have they ever shipped a unfinished product. It’s possible that if something is not ready it will be delayed until the following iPhone i.e 8s, implement it in later iOS update.  With that said. This iPhone is going to have to be amazing, to stay competitive. they are definitely behind in a lot of ways. 
    With a 1000$ rumored price tag. It better be. 
    How are they behind, man I hear those things and I have to say Huh.
    Samsung's got a bigger screen for a few month, that's not exactly some kind of revolution .
    - Oled has some advantages on contrast yet its nit count is generally lower, which reduces contrast in strong lights.

- The Iphone has the fastest processor
    - The best battery life to size ratio
    - The Best camera package in 7+ model (usability does count in cameras which many reviewers seem to forget)
    - Best weatherproofing (much better than the so called Samsung one)
    - Toughest exterior (uses AL7000) and most finishes
    - They've got the best color management, highest brillance and lowest reflectivity screen (which gives them a better actual contrast in many situation)
    - Touch ID still the quickest
    - Best Customer Support. product Update
    - Haptics, nobody got them
    - Smoothest Software and Best Apps
    - Probably forgetting other things...

Seriously, tired of this mantra based on nothing.

watto_cobrapalomineMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Not only is the next iPhone locked down, the one after that is probably ready for testing. 
    watto_cobrapscooter63macgui
  • Reply 23 of 63
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Useless features. Just bring in double the battery and double the RAM. That's what I miss on daily basis! And a phone physical design that's easy and nice to hold. Everything else works as it should.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    foggyhill said:
    redpony said:
    I can’t see apple shipping/or have they ever shipped a unfinished product. It’s possible that if something is not ready it will be delayed until the following iPhone i.e 8s, implement it in later iOS update.  With that said. This iPhone is going to have to be amazing, to stay competitive. they are definitely behind in a lot of ways. 
    Samsung's got a bigger screen for a few month, that's not exactly some kind of revolution .
    - Oled has some advantages on contrast yet its nit count is generally lower, which reduces contrast in strong lights.

I doubt... some friend's Androids definitely feel snappier then my iPhone! Also battery life is not the best in iPhone(s)!
  • Reply 25 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    foggyhill said:
    redpony said:

- The Best camera package in 7+ model (usability does count in cameras which many reviewers seem to forget)
    - They've got the best color management, highest brillance and lowest reflectivity screen (which gives them a better actual contrast in many situation)

I think speed is no longer an issue for many and now that AI and machine learning are being implemented to make routine operations feel instant, things just feel faster across the board.

Fingerprint scanners reached almost instant a few years ago and absolutely everyone says the Honor 9 scanner is lightning fast. 

I think people like stuff like dual SIM, expandable storage and especially features like Twin App that let you run two WhatsApp or Facebook accounts on the same phone at the same time. Most people spend an incredible amount of time in Social networkong Apps and the phone is the base system platform for those Apps. Just imagine the impact of something like WeChat suddenly not being available on an iPhone. iOS has no Twin App type feature or dual SIM. These are the kind of useful, often overlooked features that some people end up depending on.

LCD or OLED might be important for us, as might ppi but I've never heard an average user even mention which type of screen they have.

The same applies to weatherproofing, resistance etc. Colour and finish are also standout features now and Apple has a tired spread of options.

I think the OP was referencing these types of features.

Choose any Honor 9 review you find and look at what you get for half the price of an iPhone. There is nothing really amazing on it but if you are struggling to find the cash for an iPhone it must be hard to ignore.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 26 of 63
    jume said:
    foggyhill said:
    redpony said:

I doubt... some friend's Androids definitely feel snappier then my iPhone! Also battery life is not the best in iPhone(s)!
    Right... Feels... Proof, nah, truthyness rules... 
    The S8 stutters and its the god damn "fastest" Android around supposedly..
    Considering Apple controls THE WHOLE STACK and they got the fastest processor, your assertions is plain IMPOSSIBLE
    Even when those 8 cores SOC run, they can't be used long at a high level due to heat, scheduling and the fact software is not really made to use them (except benchmarks...)

As for battery life,
    It is the best for the size of the phone and the fact it doesn't throttle much so you get top performance until it dies.

• Reply 27 of 63
    foggyhill said:
    redpony said:

The Iphone has the fastest processor - Yes
    - The best battery life to size ratio - No, what has size ratio got to do with battery life? There are definitely many Android phones with better battery life than iPhones.
    - The Best camera package in 7+ model (usability does count in cameras which many reviewers seem to forget) - Debatable. There are other Android phones (Pixel XL, HTC 11, Samsung S8/S8+) which are found to be better/equal in most of the aspects.
    - Best weatherproofing (much better than the so called Samsung one) - No, Force (Moto Z Force, Moto Z2 force) models from Motorola, V series from LG (LG V10, V20) have better weather proofing.
    - Toughest exterior (uses AL7000) and most finishes - No, Moto Z Force, LG V20 have tougher exteriors
    - They've got the best color management, highest brillance and lowest reflectivity screen (which gives them a better actual contrast in many situation) - Yes
    - Touch ID still the quickest - Debatable, there are few Android phones (I am unable to recollect exact model names) which were considered to be having FPS faster than even iPhones
    - Best Customer Support. product Update - Yes
    - Haptics, nobody got them - Partially agreed, Huawei has it already. It may not work as good as iPhones.
    - Smoothest Software and Best Apps - Yes
  • Reply 28 of 63
    avon b7 said:
    foggyhill said:
    redpony said:

I think speed is no longer an issue for many and now that AI and machine learning are being implemented to make routine operations feel instant, things just feel faster across the board.

Fingerprint scanners reached almost instant a few years ago and absolutely everyone says the Honor 9 scanner is lightning fast. 

I think people like stuff like dual SIM, expandable storage and especially features like Twin App that let you run two WhatsApp or Facebook accounts on the same phone at the same time. Most people spend an incredible amount of time in Social networkong Apps and the phone is the base system platform for those Apps. Just imagine the impact of something like WeChat suddenly not being available on an iPhone. iOS has no Twin App type feature or dual SIM. These are the kind of useful, often overlooked features that some people end up depending on.

LCD or OLED might be important for us, as might ppi but I've never heard an average user even mention which type of screen they have.

The same applies to weatherproofing, resistance etc. Colour and finish are also standout features now and Apple has a tired spread of options.

I think the OP was referencing these types of features.

Choose any Honor 9 review you find and look at what you get for half the price of an iPhone. There is nothing really amazing on it but if you are struggling to find the cash for an iPhone it must be hard to ignore.
    Expandable is massively slower than the onboard one, especially the Apple one that's by far the fastest in the industry.
    And this is kind of a non sequitur too, what on earth is your point exactly. How does that even relate to the fact "Apple is falling behind" (sic) that I responding to.

The OP wasn't referencing crap, he did a blanket statement that was evidentally false unlike you who at least put some meat on the bones.

Apple is in no way "falling behind" and this fall, they'll really put the screws into the competition in their price bracket.

BTW, I'm not against people buying an Honor phone if it suits their needs; great for them.

• Reply 29 of 63
    jume said:
    Useless features. Just bring in double the battery and double the RAM. That's what I miss on daily basis! And a phone physical design that's easy and nice to hold. Everything else works as it should.
    Despite the fact 2G is bigger than a laptop 10 years ago that was running that bloated mess Vista and you need 4G on a OS that's massively more efficient ?
    Must be thinking of Android huh.

If you want double battery, buy the Apple battery camera case or a similar and quit whining.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 30 of 63
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    LordeHawk said:
    Hmmm....

Is it me, or are the doom and gloom reports starting earlier this year?  Also, are we assuming that the iPhone Pro will be launching in September?

Make sure I have this correct.  There're software issues in a system not due out for months at the earliest.  Is testing and iteration not part of product development?
    In other news, the 2018 and 2019 iPhone is having some software issues too, hopefully they can figure it out in time...

I'm not one to speculate but these rumors are questionable.  Hundreds of successful iQ rollouts and Apple's custom designed power solutions, including fast charging tech in current products, refutes any real threat.
    On the camera front, I'm sure someone in any of the AR teams acquired in the past couple years, might figure it out.  Or maybe Apple bought them all for fun, oh wait, AR worked flawless in the demos.

Really?  These pathetic rumors over a month before the keynote?  We could just wait and see what happens...
    What is the iPhone Pro?
  • Reply 31 of 63
    This has become an embarrassment. Apple’s next iPhone was wrapped months ago. This stock manipulation is pathetic. 
    The stock hasn’t had any wild swings. In when that one report (I think from Deutche Bank) came out talking about delays and possible missed earnings estimates Apple stock ended up on the day. Seems to me most of Wall Street is ignoring the noise.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    lkrupp said:
    Rene Ritchie (iMore) put the squash on this crap. Whatever the new iPhone is it was wrapped up months ago and is already in production. Apple simply doesn’t operate like the these rumors suggest. Releasing products with features disabled is something Samsung does (Bixby). This is the craziest nonsense to come out of the rumor mill in years. 

And remember this. Apple hasn’t said a damn thing about any additional iPhone model being released this year. People have assumed Apple would produce a tenth anniversary iPhone. That’s all. 
    Um, what about portrait mode? Apple announced it but the feature didn’t work right away. What about the white iPhone 4? Didn’t they release it almost a year after it was announced?
  • Reply 33 of 63
    foggyhill said:
    jume said:
    foggyhill said:
    redpony said:

Right... Feels... Proof, nah, truthyness rules... 
    The S8 stutters and its the god damn "fastest" Android around supposedly..
    Considering Apple controls THE WHOLE STACK and they got the fastest processor, your assertions is plain IMPOSSIBLE
    Even when those 8 cores SOC run, they can't be used long at a high level due to heat, scheduling and the fact software is not really made to use them (except benchmarks...)

As for battery life,
    It is the best for the size of the phone and the fact it doesn't throttle much so you get top performance until it dies.

No, you are wrong. Samsung has the bad reputation for having one of the heaviest skins (Touchwiz) which causes all sorts of performance issues. There are so many other phones which have stock/near stock Android (Moto Z/Z Force, Pixels, One Plus 5, Sony/HTC phones) which are much more smoother than Samsung devices. They are the benchmark when it comes to performance/smoothness of the Android devices, NOT Samsung's phones.
    snype719
  • Reply 34 of 63
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    We read
    "the source says recent reports claiming Apple has yet to determine a final location for Touch ID are plausible"

No, no, no, it is not "plausible". The manufacturing process requires these things to be nailed down months in advance.

There are three options, TouchID on the back, a newly designed sensor integrated under the display, or a newly designed sensor in a side button. These are three  very different sensors. Apple can't wait until the last minute to order tens of millions of these parts.

Further more, it is rather obvious that the choice between these three fingerprint sensor options has a major effect on component layout, the design of various internal components and the design of the casing.

Since production of components is already underway, the design must already be nailed down.

I think it might be the case, that the usual supplier of Touch ID sensors has not been seen to receive the large new orders they might be expected to get for this new phone. But, it's likely that new sensors are being made by a different supplier or if Touch ID is going on the back they could be using the same sensors they already ordered for the 7 series of phones. If the new premium tier phone is low volume - the sensor order could fly under the radar of those analysts watching the supply chain. Especially if the analysts don't appreciate that it is a low volume product and they are looking for a smoking gun for an order of 70 million parts when they should be looking for an order of 12 million parts.

I think most of these articles are a rehash of other articles. In this case the Fast Company piece is spun from a Tweet by John Gruber about the wireless charging accessory. They basically have rehashed and embellished some previous articles to create this "Apple is in panic mode" click bait. Of course Gruber's tweet gave no impression of panic.
    palomine
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Put...the...FingerPrint...Reader ...into ...the...PowerButton...just...as...Sony...Does.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    foggyhill said:

As for battery life,
    It is the best for the size of the phone and the fact it doesn't throttle much so you get top performance until it dies..

Would definitely prefer 2-3mm thicker phone for the sake of a larger battery. Phones are too slim to hold them comfortably in your hand anyway... And then we have this bending issues, not just iPhone. Just saying. And seems everyone I talk about this issue agrees. 2mm is nothing but in terms of battery life it would be great. 
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 37 of 63
    vlscoutvlscout Posts: 32member
    Notwithstanding all the denial and cheerleading on this thread, taken in its entirety, the recent reports about engineering issues with the iPhone 8 are credible.

It is possible that Apple will overproduce a little improved and little-changed iPhone 7s/7s that no one wants while the hotly awaited iPhone 8 either disappoints in quality or quantity or gets pushed back severely. Seriously, this is a dangerous situation for Apple.

• Reply 38 of 63
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Aren't "anniversary" products something non-technology companies do? Outside of the tech blogs nobody really cares how many years a have passed since the original iPhone was launched. Apple is not about looking back. 
    palomine
  • Reply 39 of 63
    vlscout said:
    Notwithstanding all the denial and cheerleading on this thread, taken in its entirety, the recent reports about engineering issues with the iPhone 8 are credible.

It is possible that Apple will overproduce a little improved and little-changed iPhone 7s/7s that no one wants while the hotly awaited iPhone 8 either disappoints in quality or quantity or gets pushed back severely. Seriously, this is a dangerous situation for Apple.

Blahblah blah blah, you registered to crap out this huh.
    There is no REPORT, there are barely a few words that don't even say what you purport them to say.
    edited July 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 63
    jume said:
    foggyhill said:

As for battery life,
    It is the best for the size of the phone and the fact it doesn't throttle much so you get top performance until it dies..

Would definitely prefer 2-3mm thicker phone for the sake of a larger battery. Phones are too slim to hold them comfortably in your hand anyway... And then we have this bending issues, not just iPhone. Just saying. And seems everyone I talk about this issue agrees. 2mm is nothing but in terms of battery life it would be great. 
    Seems your pulling things straight out of your rump, you don't actually own an Iphone or touched one.
    Funny how those supposedly bendy phone (the Iphone 6 2 years ago), are still being sold without change hey.
    Get with the program bud.
    edited July 2017 Metriacanthosaurussnype719