Samsung brings Siri-competing Bixby assistant to US three months after Galaxy S8 launch

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung on Wednesday announced that Bixby, its equivalent of Apple's Siri, is now available on U.S. versions of the Galaxy S8 and S8+ -- roughly three months after the phones first launched.

An update is rolling out to S8 owners on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and U.S. Cellular, Samsung said. Bixby has been available on South Korean versions of the phones from the beginning, but until now there was no English translation, despite a dedicated Bixby button being built into every unit. Indeed the assistant remains unavailable in other English-speaking countries such as Canada and the U.K.

Bixby is in theory capable of more voice commands than Siri, including app and hardware controls that are touch-only on Apple devices. This should extend to at least some third-party apps -- Google has enabled the technology for Maps, Play Music, and YouTube.

Driven partly by the assistant's absence in most countries, a number of coders have been modifying Samsung software to let people remap the Bixby button. Samsung, though, has been deliberately crippling these modifications.

Apple is planning at least a handful of Siri improvements in tandem with this fall's iOS 11, including translation, more natural voices, and cross-device sync.

The company could potentially have more Siri upgrades waiting in the wings, given plans to launch the HomePod in December. That device will have to compete against cheaper smartspeakers from Amazon and Google, both of which have assistants typically considered more advanced than Siri. Samsung is rumored to be working on a Bixby speaker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Bixby puts Siri to shame! You know it’s coming any minute now.
    anton zuykovdoozydozenjbdragonclemynxpscooter63KawhiUCONNjony0
  • Reply 2 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Bixby has been available on South Korean versions of the phones from the beginning, but until now there was no English translation, despite a dedicated Bixby button being built into every uni
    Imagine the outrage had Apple had included a dedicated button that did nothing for all but one country and language.
    bb-15caliStrangeDaysdoozydozenchiajbdragonclemynxlolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 30
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    I really, really hope Apple has some drastic improvements in the pipeline for Siri.
    SpamSandwichcalidoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 30
    waverboy said:
    I really, really hope Apple has some drastic improvements in the pipeline for Siri.
    Told ‘ya. Just like clockwork.
    edited July 2017 bb-15suddenly newtontmaycalidoozydozencoolfactorbuckalecchiaclemynxpscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, it’s here. It’s not like Apple delays features because they aren’t ready. Siri was in beta for about two years, and portrait mode for the + series was delayed too.

seriously, let’s not have such selective memory.
    SpamSandwichdoozydozenavon b7
  • Reply 6 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Don't see anyone would want to use this except the Koreans. If I own an android phone, I would use Google Assistant instead...far superior.
    clemynx
  • Reply 7 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    3 months later than s8 and 3 years after Siri.

melgross said:
    Well, it’s here. It’s not like Apple delays features because they aren’t ready. Siri was in beta for about two years, and portrait mode for the + series was delayed too.

Except this is an iPhone knockoff. We have ZERO tolerance for knockoffs. 

doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    melgross said:

I guess I do have selective memory because I can't think of a single time Apple released a product with a dedicated button that had nary a use because the feature designed for said dedicated button wasn't ready for that market. Was there a country that had a front facing camera that didn't work or a Touch ID button that wasn't functional? Including a beta SW or saying that a SW feature will come later on is very different from including a HW button with no use.
    doozydozenleavingthebiggchiaclemynxRayz2016lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    cali said:

melgross said:

Oh, for crying out loud. What are you all going to say if the iPhone 8 is late by a month or three? Or if it’s missing what we’ve been talking about here as major features? If Apple doesn’t have Touch ID working, a lot of people are going to be very ticked off. Facial recognition, and iris scans don’t make up for it. What will you say if it isn’t there, make up some excuse?

sure, it’s late, and that’s not great. But software is often late. Samsung just decided, about a year ago that they wanted to compete with Apple, Amazon, Google and Microsoft in this area. How long did it take Apple to get Siri out the door, and as a beta for two years? And by every count, Siri has fallen behind those other, later competitors.

this is really such a minor thing. And as for ripoffs, there’s no doubt that Samsung is the Great Copier. Granted, but in the last few years, they’ve mostly moved by themselves. When the iPhone 8 comes out, people are going to say that not only does it copy the Galaxy S8, but it also needs Samsung OLEDs.
    singularityzimmermannSpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 30

Soli said:
    melgross said:

I guess I do have selective memory because I can't think of a single time Apple released a product with a dedicated button that had nary a use because the feature designed for said dedicated button wasn't ready for that market. Was there a country that had a front facing camera that didn't work or a Touch ID button that wasn't functional? Including a beta SW or saying that a SW feature will come later on is very different from including a HW button with no use.
    Oh, so now you’re down to one button? A button that will very shortly be used for its function? A function that was its purpose? Are you pretending that the button is useless? Yes, for 90 days, it wasn’t functional. That’s a major issue for you? Is that now the big problem? What about the crippled camera on the iPhone +, when it couldn’t use portrait mode? That doesn’t count? Or how about the two years it took Apple to get maps really working properly?
    singularityzimmermannSpamSandwichanantksundaramKawhiUCONN
  • Reply 11 of 30
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 326member
    cali said:

melgross said:

Cali, who is 'we'?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Soli said:
    Bixby has been available on South Korean versions of the phones from the beginning, but until now there was no English translation, despite a dedicated Bixby button being built into every uni
    Imagine the outrage had Apple had included a dedicated button that did nothing for all but one country and language.
    What's worse, adding a special button to use SIRI. Haven't we moved past that? I have a older iPhone 6 which if plugged in I can just say Hey Siri without pushing any button. Something I do all the time on my Apple Watch which works great. On the 6S and newer with the special chip, the phone doesn't need to be plugged in, you can just say Hey Siri and do what you want. So I don't really get the button in the first place? Besides if you're on Android, why would you want to use this crap over Google Voice?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    waverboy said:
    Like what? I use Siri all the time. Mostly on my Apple Watch as it's so easy. I just look at my watch and go hey Siri and it almost always gets it right. My newest thing is "Hey Siri, Open garage, or Close Garage" and it happens. Anywhere I'm at. Nice I don't have to bring my clicker around with me on my Motorcycle. I can pull up and left my arm up and just go Hey Siri, Open garage, and BAM!!! So much better then launching the app on my Apple watch, waiting for it to open and be ready to then hit the button to open the door. I can set a Reminder, a Timer, a Appointment, sent a Message, Answer or Dial a voice phone call. Ask when the Giants play next, tell me a joke. Full Homekit control to do things like Adjust the temp or turn on/off lights. You can ask a question and then a follow up to the question and Siri will answer correctly. Apple has continued to work on Siri. It hasn't been stagnant. Do those bitching even use Siri? Or did you give up 1, 2 years ago and haven't moved forward? If you talk just a bit slower and try to be clear, Siri works great!!!! Some people are fast talkers and some may mumble and Siri may have a issue. I'm always glad Apple is continuing to work on it.
    lkrupplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Bixby is far superior to Siri. It's true. 

Of course that is all in theory. In practice it's slow and sucks at performing the simplest tasks and it's redundant with what Google assistant does already. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30
    They should license and synthesize the voice of actor Bill Bixby so that when anyone asks it a stupid question it replies "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I am angry."
  • Reply 16 of 30
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    melgross said:

Self-hating Apple users and their lecturing are just totally adorable. 
    edited July 2017 watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 30
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:

Oh, so now you’re down to one button? A button that will very shortly be used for its function? A function that was its purpose? Are you pretending that the button is useless? Yes, for 90 days, it wasn’t functional. That’s a major issue for you? Is that now the big problem? What about the crippled camera on the iPhone +, when it couldn’t use portrait mode? That doesn’t count? Or how about the two years it took Apple to get maps really working properly?
    Was the dedicated digital personal assistant button not functional or am I "pretending"? 

Again, you're the one that's made the claim that Apple has repeatedly done this yet when I mention an entire button on a device having no use you can't answer my question.

What Samsung should've done was either delay the HW release or just integrate the button to call Bixby into another button. Imagine if the rumours about Apple's future of Touch ID are true, and it will be placed behind the display, but they had also settled on a physical design where there's an extra physical button on the side specifically to call Siri and Touch ID but is now just a dead toe that does nothing when pressed. Would you defend that move? 
    edited July 2017 lolliver
  • Reply 18 of 30
    jbdragon said:
    waverboy said:
    Like what? I use Siri all the time. Mostly on my Apple Watch as it's so easy. I just look at my watch and go hey Siri and it almost always gets it right. My newest thing is "Hey Siri, Open garage, or Close Garage" and it happens. Anywhere I'm at. Nice I don't have to bring my clicker around with me on my Motorcycle. I can pull up and left my arm up and just go Hey Siri, Open garage, and BAM!!! So much better then launching the app on my Apple watch, waiting for it to open and be ready to then hit the button to open the door. I can set a Reminder, a Timer, a Appointment, sent a Message, Answer or Dial a voice phone call. Ask when the Giants play next, tell me a joke. Full Homekit control to do things like Adjust the temp or turn on/off lights. You can ask a question and then a follow up to the question and Siri will answer correctly. Apple has continued to work on Siri. It hasn't been stagnant. Do those bitching even use Siri? Or did you give up 1, 2 years ago and haven't moved forward? If you talk just a bit slower and try to be clear, Siri works great!!!! Some people are fast talkers and some may mumble and Siri may have a issue. I'm always glad Apple is continuing to work on it.
    The “Siri Sucks” meme is one of those things that has a life of its own. People without much independent thinking ability hear it repeated a few times and it becomes the truth to them. They start repeating it and so it goes. Suddenly it becomes the politically correct opinion and is defended to the hilt. 
    lolliverwatto_cobraBluntwilliamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    melgross said:
    cali said:

melgross said:

Oh, for crying out loud. What are you all going to say if the iPhone 8 is late by a month or three? Or if it’s missing what we’ve been talking about here as major features? If Apple doesn’t have Touch ID working, a lot of people are going to be very ticked off. Facial recognition, and iris scans don’t make up for it. What will you say if it isn’t there, make up some excuse?

sure, it’s late, and that’s not great. But software is often late. Samsung just decided, about a year ago that they wanted to compete with Apple, Amazon, Google and Microsoft in this area. How long did it take Apple to get Siri out the door, and as a beta for two years? And by every count, Siri has fallen behind those other, later competitors.
    What is this iPhone 8? Did Apple announce this phone when I was on vacation? Something can't be late unless it misses an announced delivery date. 

and by "by every count, Siri has fallen behind those other, later competitors.", are just counting the losses. Siri works for me when setting up reminders and appointments. 
    lolliverwatto_cobrawilliamlondonsuddenly newton
  • Reply 20 of 30
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    lkrupp said:
    jbdragon said:
    waverboy said:
    The “Siri Sucks” meme is one of those things that has a life of its own. People without much independent thinking ability hear it repeated a few times and it becomes the truth to them. They start repeating it and so it goes. Suddenly it becomes the politically correct opinion and is defended to the hilt. 
    It doesn't "suck," but it works about two-thirds of the time. My new car has CarPlay (hence Siri) and also its MMI default, Google's voice assistant. The latter's, sadly significantly better. 

Granted, I am only one data point, but have you used both side by side?
    gatorguywilliamlondon