'iPhone 8' to enter mass production in mid-Sept., launch alongside 'iPhone 7s,' come in 3 ...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    nhughes said:
    The numbering confusion makes me wonder if Apple is going to call the premium iPhone something other the the iPhone 8. The iPhone Pro...ߤ䦬t;br>
    Yes, I too believe there is very little reason to call the 10th anniversary model "iPhone 8." What I am wondering is why tech journalist are so inclined to call it "iPhone 8" when there is little reason to do so... 
    I'd feel like an asshat calling it "iPhone 8" when I have soooo much doubt about said nomenclature. Tech journalist perform weird mental gymnastics with logic.  
    We've looked into it, and the number of people searching for "iPhone 8" vastly, vastly outnumbers the alternatives ("iPhone X," "iPhone Pro"). Until Apple gives the product an official name, or until some marketing materials leak with the name, we'll be sticking with iPhone 8.
    Ah so search-engine clicks (ad money) is more important than journalistic integrity. 

There we have it, folks. This is why the tech media will also be a sub-niche relating to but not being journalism. Different ideals. 
    I think you misunderstood. What they are saying is that they use the name because everyone else uses the name. Why would they go with a different name if all the news they repeat goes with "iPhone8"?

But you are right: the tech media lost any right to call itself a journalistic endeavour long ago. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 42 of 65
    The way the bezel is turning out...seems the only color to get would be black!
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Black, gold and silver. Good to see Apple branching out in the color department. 
    All that matters is that it comes in black.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    nhughes said:
    nhughes said:
    The numbering confusion makes me wonder if Apple is going to call the premium iPhone something other the the iPhone 8. The iPhone Pro...ߤ䦬t;br>
    Yes, I too believe there is very little reason to call the 10th anniversary model "iPhone 8." What I am wondering is why tech journalist are so inclined to call it "iPhone 8" when there is little reason to do so... 
    I'd feel like an asshat calling it "iPhone 8" when I have soooo much doubt about said nomenclature. Tech journalist perform weird mental gymnastics with logic.  
    We've looked into it, and the number of people searching for "iPhone 8" vastly, vastly outnumbers the alternatives ("iPhone X," "iPhone Pro"). Until Apple gives the product an official name, or until some marketing materials leak with the name, we'll be sticking with iPhone 8.
    Ah so search-engine clicks (ad money) is more important than journalistic integrity. 

There we have it, folks. This is why the tech media will also be a sub-niche relating to but not being journalism. Different ideals. 
    Please, explain to me how using the most commonly accepted fake name for an unannounced product compromises my journalistic integrity.

I'm happy to have the discussion about iPhone 8 vs. iPhone Pro, but drawing my reputation into the mix is uncalled for. You've officially been warned.
    How have I drawn your reputation into the mix? I didn’t mention you at all, but rather AI’s priorities as explained by you — SEO is more important. Obviously it won’t be called the iphone 8. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 45 of 65

sog35 said:
    Just got word from my contact in China:

iPhone Pricing:

iPhone 7s - $599  
    iPhone 7s Plus - $699

iPhone X - $899

If that is true, then this pricing is envisaged to boost 7s Plus sales, meaning that Apple doesn't expect much from the new model.

Would I pay $200 more for a display less than or equal to 7s Plus, absolutely not.
    Sure, if it has other features besides screen size that make it valuable.
    Screen is a fundamental feature. All of the leaked/rumored features are optional.
    If you think a bigger screen is the most important feature of the new iphone x, you haven’t been paying attention. 
    pscooter63doozydozen
  • Reply 46 of 65
    I hope whats called the 7s will have some design change.. otherwise its going to be 4 years with identical design... too boring and monotonous..

Your opinion is at odds with the phone-buying public -- who have made the 7 the most popular iPhone yet. This despite the tech media and web complainers. No one cares about artificial criticisms like it using a familiar design. That's as silly to normal people as me complaining that the new Pioneer receivers look just like my 6-year-old receiver. Uh yeah, it's a home receiver -- black boxy thing that does a job...what is it supposed to look like, a triangle!? Same nonsense about the phone's visual design. 
    Yup.. design on a personal product carried around with u is completely irrelevant and a none issue.  Why even worry about industrial design.. change and freshness.. its only been 4 years. 

your comment is so detached from what Apple actually stands for. Or rather say used to stand for. 

But hey to each his/her own.
    Nope, it’s you who is detached from reality. That’s why it’s only online techies who have issues with the decisions Apple makes — because Apple isn’t designing for techies or edge cases, it’s making real products for the masses. In real life, nobody cares about a similar shell design. Cars are pretty personal, right? Yet the Porsche 911 maintained a very similar design for decades. A good one. Same thing. 

How it works is a big part of what design means to Apple, not just how it looks. Apple execs have said this over and over, yet you want change for changes sake — exactly what Ive said he doesn’t do. Sounds like it’s you who doesn’t get apple. 
    edited August 2017 doozydozenRayz2016
  • Reply 47 of 65
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    nhughes said:

This, and your other remark on this page is pretty clear, and you're splitting hairs that you shouldn't split in other people's houses. 

You've already been warned.
    Solidoozydozengatorguy
  • Reply 48 of 65
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Bring it on. Wallet open and ready.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    MacBook/MacBook Pro
    iPad/iPad Pro
    iPhone 7&7s/ iPhone Pro

• Reply 50 of 65
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    nhughes said:
    nhughes said:

Please, explain to me how using the most commonly accepted fake name for an unannounced product compromises my journalistic integrity.

I'm happy to have the discussion about iPhone 8 vs. iPhone Pro, but drawing my reputation into the mix is uncalled for. You've officially been warned.
    How have I drawn your reputation into the mix? I didn’t mention you at all, but rather AI’s priorities as explained by you — SEO is more important. Obviously it won’t be called the iphone 8. 
    I never mentioned SEO. I simply said what name most people have given an unannounced phone. Your comments about "journalistic integrity" very clearly threw my reputation into the mix.

You clearly have some very misguided ideas about some sort of "agenda" or traffic quota or profit margin on this story. Simply put, you're wrong. I came into the comments to explain why we still call the phone "iPhone 8" — because no one outside of Apple has any clue what they will name it.

This side discussion has gone far enough off topic at this point, so I'm done commenting.
    doozydozenasdasdgatorguy
  • Reply 51 of 65
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    jd_in_sb said:
    So what happened to all the analysts and pundits lies, and BS about the iPhone being 'delayed' until October or November? These freaking analysts making up such lies ought to be pushed off a pier with weights tied to their ankles. I honestly hate such bold liars who try to deceive mom and pop investors in order to make them lose money.
    How do you know the delay stories were BS? This story could be wrong. 
    All reports should be ignored. It's all clicks. Well, all these folks get paid to write. They've all taken creative writing courses. All they need to do take a position, cherry pick opinions from others, pull some crap from the past, cherry pick that, run some crap through a spreadsheet.

Do this 30 times.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    Every article goes back and forth on TouchID.  TouchID is going in the display. Just look at the purchase process in the App Store, the location and animation of the thumbprint graphic says it all.  It wouldn’t still be in the beta if it wasn’t a done deal. 
  • Reply 53 of 65
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    I hope whats called the 7s will have some design change.. otherwise its going to be 4 years with identical design... too boring and monotonous..

Your opinion is at odds with the phone-buying public -- who have made the 7 the most popular iPhone yet. This despite the tech media and web complainers. No one cares about artificial criticisms like it using a familiar design. That's as silly to normal people as me complaining that the new Pioneer receivers look just like my 6-year-old receiver. Uh yeah, it's a home receiver -- black boxy thing that does a job...what is it supposed to look like, a triangle!? Same nonsense about the phone's visual design. 
    Yup.. design on a personal product carried around with u is completely irrelevant and a none issue.  Why even worry about industrial design.. change and freshness.. its only been 4 years. 

your comment is so detached from what Apple actually stands for. Or rather say used to stand for. 

But hey to each his/her own.
    Nope, it’s you who is detached from reality. That’s why it’s only online techies who have issues with the decisions Apple makes — because Apple isn’t designing for techies or edge cases, it’s making real products for the masses. In real life, nobody cares about a similar shell design. Cars are pretty personal, right? Yet the Porsche 911 maintained a very similar design for decades. A good one. Same thing. 

How it works is a big part of what design means to Apple, not just how it looks. Apple execs have said this over and over, yet you want change for changes sake — exactly what Ive said he doesn’t do. Sounds like it’s you who doesn’t get apple. 
    u seem angry... no reason to.. im made my opinion.. why u attack i have no clue.

That said  i think you just dont get it... it will be a 4 year old design if they dont change something, ... it is getting boring... specially that there are so many out there,  3 years worth...
    Its constantly seen everywhere... its loosing its luster and excitement.. 
     Plus i did not say redesign .. i said some design change. To freshen it up.
    Your beloved 911 has gone through huge EVOLUTION  in design.. from size to looks to weight to performance..
    put pic side by side and you will see.

PS ... i dont have any clue how u know what my background and credentials are.. unless you have magical powers.
    but a simpler answer may be ..you are too uptight, and assume too much.  Loving Apple is one thing.. being  a fanatic is another. 
    My 2 cents. 

doozydozen
  • Reply 54 of 65
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 said:
    iPhone Fall Line up:

iPhone 7s 32GB - $599
    iPhone 7s 128GB - $699

iPhone 7s Plus 32GB - $699
    iPhone 7s Plus 128GB - $799

iPhone X  32GB - $899
    iPhone X 128GB - $999
    iPhone X 512GB - $1099

iPhone 7 32GB - $549
    iPhone 7 Plus 32GB - $649

Interesting. I can't see anyone buying the iPhone 7 at that price - so close to the 7s. Although some times companies will do that to sell the higher priced item. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 55 of 65
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    iPhone Fall Line up:

iPhone 7s 32GB - $599
    iPhone 7s 128GB - $699

iPhone X  32GB - $899
    iPhone X 128GB - $999
    iPhone X 512GB - $1099

iPhone 7 32GB - $549
    Do you seriously not comprehend the stupidity of your comment?
  • Reply 56 of 65
    If sog is right then apple are hoping to maintain their asp with a higher end phone while driving the yearly releases down towards the mid market. Except for the pricing on the 7 (last year's model) that makes a lot of sense. 
  • Reply 57 of 65
    nhughes said:
    nhughes said:

So what. That's what people search for. The apple TV was commonly called the iTV in the media ( and internally in Apple I think) prior to launch - but that name was taken by the British TV company so it wasnt used. It was what people searched for. 

And for all we know the iPhone 7s won't be the iPhone 7s either. It would be odd in fact to keep the numbers and a pro model or brand. They don't do that in the iPad or Mac book line. 

So we dont know much here -- the iPhone 8 is just shorthand. 
    edited August 2017 gatorguy
  • Reply 58 of 65
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    iPhone Fall Line up:

iPhone 7s 32GB - $599
    iPhone 7s 128GB - $699

iPhone X  32GB - $899
    iPhone X 128GB - $999
    iPhone X 512GB - $1099

iPhone 7 32GB - $549
    whats unresaonable there? If Apple can go high with some prices, it can lower others. 
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    iPhone Fall Line up:

iPhone 7s 32GB - $599
    iPhone 7s 128GB - $699

iPhone X  32GB - $899
    iPhone X 128GB - $999
    iPhone X 512GB - $1099

iPhone 7 32GB - $549

Can you please point out what's wrong in his post? Only pattern I see with those prices is - Apple slowly moving to upper mid-range price range for the regular iphones (plus and non-plus models) with a separate high-end tier to increase ASP. Instead of just launching only premium phones, Apple would be releasing new upper mid-range priced phones along with "Premium" phones. Sounds like a great strategy, to me.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I really hate the chrome around the camera bump. Reminds me of Samsung. I hope what Apple reveals doesn’t include that.