Questionable, blurry pics attempt to revive rumors of a 60-inch OLED Apple television

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59

After carrying the torch for many years, long-time proponent of the concept Gene Munster abandoned hope for an Apple television set in 2015.

And it left Gene Munster a broken man.  :D
    tallest skilfarmboy
  • Reply 22 of 59
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    gatorguy said:
    appex said:
    Bring two tuners inside for PiP.
    lol, tuners. Next you’ll be saying CRTs are still useful...
    Tuners are still useful. How else to receive local OTA broadcasts without buying yet another accessory that has one? Or two. Or four.

EDIT: Pertinent article if you're not up-to-speed on cord-cutter issues. 
    https://www.techhive.com/article/3049219/smart-tv/cord-cutters-should-hope-vizios-new-smart-tvs-dont-spark-a-trend.html
    The truth is, there is a huge segment of the population that hasn't a clue what an antenna is, let alone a tuner. They grew up on their parents cable services and are now firmly in mobile and the internet streaming market. You would have a hard time convincing many of those that over the air content is even free.

Vizio seems to have a great understanding of the market, so yeah, its a trend.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    palegolas said:
    I zoomed into the picture and commented a bit.
    I'm calling this picture bogus.jpg

I've got some blurry "Blob-squatch" photos that need analysis. ;)
    palegolas
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    palegolas said:

We did the same thing. The biggest problem with that is there are other similar artifacts in other areas, as well as what appear to be artifacts generated by a CCD taking a picture of a television.

We don't think it's Apple's. However, when we spot stuff like this, we have an obligation to say that we have significant doubts, as more mainstream outlets pick up breathless reports about things like this.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 25 of 59
    With the introduction of AR Kit this fall, it makes sense for Apple to be working on AR hardware as well.
    The dual-camera system in the iPhone 7 plus is a major advance in iOS hardware.
    A multiple camera setup could be a major feature of an Apple television set.
    I would like to see a television that is a great FaceTime device.
    It would be great to have it be able to automatically zoom and detect faces.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    appex said:
    Tuners are still useful. How else to receive local OTA broadcasts without buying yet another accessory that has one? Or two. Or four.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3049219/smart-tv/cord-cutters-should-hope-vizios-new-smart-tvs-dont-spark-a-trend.html
    The truth is, there is a huge segment of the population that hasn't a clue what an antenna is, let alone a tuner. They grew up on their parents cable services and are now firmly in mobile and the internet streaming market. You would have a hard time convincing many of those that over the air content is even free.

Or Vizio is cutting costs in areas they hope folks won't care as much as they would cutting costs in some other area. I don't see any reason why Apple would feel compelled to cut costs as deeply as a budget-brand like Vizio... IF they were actually selling a premium Apple HDTV. Do you? 

In any event I didn't say it wasn't a trend, tho one TV maker doesn't yet qualify it as such quite yet IMO. What I did say is tuners are still useful today and omitting them is hardly akin to not using a CRT in a modern TV, a bit different from StrangeDay's framing of it. I don't think you'll be disagreeing with me will you?

Not that it matters in the context of this article. Apple ain't sellin' a TV, nor will they be anytime soon IMHO. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 27 of 59
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    dr. x said:
    Steve Jobs in his biography said that he cracked the secret to a simple television set. AI article here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/21/steve_jobs_told_biographer_he_cracked_the_secret_to_a_simple_hdtv/
    I just hope that he told Tim Cook or someone within Apple at the time and that it sees the light of day. This showing the TV product it's hard to say. 
    May be he did. But i dont think the tech was ready. 4K requires HEVC, and Apple wanted HDR10, HEVC Patent *should* be all settled now that Apple has announced the inclusion of HEVC from macOSX to iOS 11. 
    Then there is the content. NO One in the Movie or TV industry want iTunes to dominate again. Disney was reluctant to unbundled Streaming until few days ago. And Finally Internet Speed, which is moving along very nicely, assuming G.Fast roll out next year, we could see average Last Mile Broadband Speed move up to 100Mbps by 2022.  

The TV Set, the good thing about TV size OLED panel is that there is precisely only ONE manufacture. LG. All OLED TV you see are using panel from LG. And as far as I know, there is no plan from any other manufacture to enter the OLED TV business in the next two years, and assuming they do, I am not aware of anyone who has an OLED technology that is competitive with LG's WOLED. That means Apple will have at least 4 years time to set the price of their Apple TV Sets without someone undercutting them because of the price protection from LG.

I still think MicroLED for TV set make much more sense. But they are also much more expensive,

Seriously I want Apple TV set with Homepod. And please tell me they are working on a new mesh WiFi as well. Along with some more powerful Mac in 2018, sounds like I am in heaven! 

• Reply 28 of 59
    It looks like it is from 10 years ago so could be a legit concept from back then.  For a little while some manufacturers were toying around with 60" screens.  Would make no sense today when 75" form factor has / is dominating larger screens.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    palegolas said:

(deleted picture)

Also of course it is totally off centre
    cornchip
  • Reply 30 of 59
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    appex said:

Or Vizio is cutting costs in areas they hope folks won't care as much as they would cutting costs in some other area. I don't see any reason why Apple would feel compelled to cut costs as deeply as a budget-brand like Vizio... IF they were actually selling a premium Apple HDTV. Do you? 

In any event I didn't say it wasn't a trend, tho one TV maker doesn't yet qualify it as such quite yet IMO. What I did say is tuners are still useful today and omitting them is hardly akin to not using a CRT in a modern TV, a bit different from StrangeDay's framing of it. I don't think you'll be disagreeing with me will you?

Not that it matters in the context of this article. Apple ain't sellin' a TV, nor will they be anytime soon IMHO. 
    Not disagreeing with you.

I happened to read an article about a guy that was involved with OTA television on a national level, and he had difficulty convincing his own daughter that OTA was a "thing".

Here's a typical link:

https://consumerist.com/2017/08/03/people-are-shocked-that-tv-signals-over-the-air-are-free-and-legal/
  • Reply 31 of 59
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Who knows. We see these rumors and pictures of purported products floating around, which almost always are initially derided as fake. However it seems many later turn out to be true or partly true. There’s plenty of evidence to support the claim Apple worked on a stand alone TV. The car was dismissed for the longest time, though many now agree this is in the works in some form. And what about all those iPhone designs we see and dismiss, only to find them shipped. I’m thinking iPhone 6 (Apple would never ship a phone with those antenna lines; camera bump), iPhone 7 (Apple would never ship the same design three years in a row; remove the headphone jack), and now iPhone 8/Pro/Edition/X (no way Apple ships w/o Touch ID; camera notch, etc). Just enjoy the pics and speculation. No way of knowing what’s real and what isn’t until it ships. Even then, we’re never privy to devices that almost did. 
  • Reply 32 of 59
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    appex said:

Not disagreeing with you.

I happened to read an article about a guy that was involved with OTA television on a national level, and he had difficulty convincing his own daughter that OTA was a "thing".

Here's a typical link:

https://consumerist.com/2017/08/03/people-are-shocked-that-tv-signals-over-the-air-are-free-and-legal/
    Not at all surprising to me. The level of cluelessness coupled with "why would I care" from the younger-than-Millennials (and sadly even some Millennials) sometimes amazes me. 
  • Reply 33 of 59
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    schlack said:
    Could be legit. Would be odd if a company like Apple with billions in R&D is not actively prototyping TVs of some sort. Doesn't mean it will be released. But OLED transition is a good time for Apple to try to disrupt the market. A 60" OLED costs $2K+ so the pricing is high enough for Apple to come in with a $3K-$4K device that is superior in design, usability, and performance.
    Exactly.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    levi said:
    schlack said:
    Could be legit. Would be odd if a company like Apple with billions in R&D is not actively prototyping TVs of some sort. Doesn't mean it will be released. But OLED transition is a good time for Apple to try to disrupt the market. A 60" OLED costs $2K+ so the pricing is high enough for Apple to come in with a $3K-$4K device that is superior in design, usability, and performance.
    Exactly.
    5 years from now OLED will be looked at as old-school IMO, much like plasmas now. FWIW I still like my plasma so none of the TV manufacturers are getting my money in the very near future unless mine fails. 
  • Reply 35 of 59
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    levi said:
    Who knows. We see these rumors and pictures of purported products floating around, which almost always are initially derided as fake. However it seems many later turn out to be true or partly true. There’s plenty of evidence to support the claim Apple worked on a stand alone TV. The car was dismissed for the longest time, though many now agree this is in the works in some form. And what about all those iPhone designs we see and dismiss, only to find them shipped. I’m thinking iPhone 6 (Apple would never ship a phone with those antenna lines; camera bump), iPhone 7 (Apple would never ship the same design three years in a row; remove the headphone jack), and now iPhone 8/Pro/Edition/X (no way Apple ships w/o Touch ID; camera notch, etc). Just enjoy the pics and speculation. No way of knowing what’s real and what isn’t until it ships. Even then, we’re never privy to devices that almost did. 
    I have no doubt that Apple has worked on a TV but I doubt this is it.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Why does it always have to be a blurry image? Doesn't anyone know how to snap a damn photo anymore? Even if you're holding your phone in a way so someone can't necessarily see you're taking a photo of something you can still make it not blurry. I think most of these are someone taking a photo, modifying it and then blurring it because they can't modify the photo without someone noticing. 
  • Reply 37 of 59
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Im not sure which is worse, the bad photos or the terrible article that implies Apple would never do a 60" device. The phoyos may be fake, i really dont care, but there would be good reason for Apple to supply a pro quality large format screen. That is if Apple is serious about the pro video development market. As for supplying TVs to consumers i dont think Apple has a chance in hell in that market without offering a whole bunch of unique and advanced features.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    palegolas said:

We did the same thing. The biggest problem with that is there are other similar artifacts in other areas, as well as what appear to be artifacts generated by a CCD taking a picture of a television.

We don't think it's Apple's. However, when we spot stuff like this, we have an obligation to say that we have significant doubts, as more mainstream outlets pick up breathless reports about things like this.
    I have as much trouble with the article as i do the pictures!   The article implies that Apple has no need nor desire to build a 60" TV or monitor.  Apple may have lost its way with respect to the Pro market but if they are serious about historical strengths then they would be interested in a large screen display.  

In otherwords the tone of the article isnt doing AI any favors.   It is silly to imply that you (AI) know where Apple is going with new products.    This especially when Apple has implied that they will reneter a market.  
  • Reply 39 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lkrupp said:
    What would be the motive in doing this if it’s faked? Money? Fun? Stirring the pot?
    With the unending stream of inanity that is social media and the state of being in the spotlight completely diluted by the 1.2 billion spotlights which are perpetually shining on everyone therein, getting those “15 minutes of fame” is harder than ever and requires ever more elaborate methods of getting noticed. Then again, we’ve seen Apple fakes for quite some time, so why wouldn’t, uh… who’s the “analyst” who screamed about an Apple HDTV for years? Why wouldn’t he just fake it himself?

asdasd said:
    Also of course it is totally off centre
    It’s centered on the protrusion on the back, but that’s an odd place for the logo, you’re right; I would’ve thought it would be up on the back of the panel itself.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 40 of 59
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    wizard69 said:
    palegolas said:

I have as much trouble with the article as i do the pictures!   The article implies that Apple has no need nor desire to build a 60" TV or monitor.  Apple may have lost its way with respect to the Pro market but if they are serious about historical strengths then they would be interested in a large screen display.  

In otherwords the tone of the article isnt doing AI any favors.   It is silly to imply that you (AI) know where Apple is going with new products.    This especially when Apple has implied that they will reneter a market.  
    60" isn't big for a TV.  It's small for a flagship...granted there could be a 75" version too.

60" is a bit too big for a monitor.

But the most important thing is there's nothing compelling about an Apple 4K TV vs a 4K AppleTV.