Apple's 'iPhone 8' may allow triggering Siri by holding sleep/wake button

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    I'm betting that they won't put siri on the sleep button because it's not good ergonomics.
    cornchipdoozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 36
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Why does siri need a physical button?
    Raise to wake say "hey Siri" and it's active.

I'd assume thou if Apple are getting rid of the home button then the screen touch sensor is always active in some mode.There are lots of time you want to just tap the phone button to wake it. So it would seem odd if this function wasn't extended to the whole face of the device with the removal of the button.

Maybe they will have small grid of the solar ambinet light sensor used in the watch to activate touch sensor if one "see" a finger coming or completely turn of sensor if all are blocked to avoid acidental touches. 

So Siri could be long touch anywhere on screen.
    If oled screen easier to trigger a B&W overlay of tap zones for specific functions. 
    edited September 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mattinoz said:
    Why does siri need a physical button?
    Raise to wake say "hey Siri" and it's active.

I'd assume thou if Apple are getting rid of the home button then the screen touch sensor is always active in some mode.There are lots of time you want to just tap the phone button to wake it. So it would seem odd if this function wasn't extended to the whole face of the device with the removal of the button.

Maybe they will have small grid of the solar ambinet light sensor used in the watch to activate touch sensor if one "see" a finger coming or completely turn of sensor if all are blocked to avoid acidental touches. 

So Siri could be long touch anywhere on screen.
    If oled screen easier to trigger a B&W overlay of tap zones for specific functions. 
    Because some people, myself inclusive, prefer to leave hey Siri off.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    I'm betting that they won't put siri on the sleep button because it's not good ergonomics.
    We shall see.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Getting rid of the home button and Touch ID just because the tech press is obsessed with bezel-less phones I fear is not going to be well received. Especially if there’s all sorts of new gestures involved and especially when the majority of iOS devices in use will still have the home button.
    What is that thin bar at the bottom can be tapped to go home?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    nht said:
    Or maybe TouchId got moved to the power button like described in a recently awarded Apple patent...
    What’s that got to do with Siri?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    cornchip said:
    ireland said:
    cornchip said:

Apple will finally reveal...

🙄

Why not hold down both volume buttons at the same time
    Because they aren't the power button.
    I mean for Siri.
    That’s even worse. Hold both volume buttons to access Siri? Bizarre-o.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    ireland said:
    Finally a paulsaible reason for the lock button to be larger. Not that it shouldn’t be this large anyway. Apple should put some code in the firmware to ignore accidental volume button presses while trying to access Siri this way.
    How would it know you're trying to access Siri and not trying to raise or lower the volume? We already have that problem now because they still keep the volume buttons on the opposite side of the wake/sleep/power button.

You would think that Apple could figure out that you don't need Siri when you're playing audio and that you don't need to adjust the volume when you're not playing anything but here we are.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    ireland said:
    cornchip said:
    ireland said:
    cornchip said:

ߙ䦬t;br>

I mean for Siri.
     ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you say so. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 30 of 36
    cornchip said:
    ireland said:
    cornchip said:
    ireland said:
    cornchip said:

ߙ䦬t;br>

I mean for Siri.
     ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you say so. 
    “Hey volume”, lol.
    edited September 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 31 of 36
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    You guys pretend to be knowledgeable on Apple, and yet you understand now what I understood months ago. The home button will move to the side. And Apple will use new gestures. Both things are true. To lock the phone, you either move the notification shade down which triggers FaceID and move your face away which locks the phone. Or you simply put down your phone and like the Watch, AI detects the movements, triggers FaceID to check if someone’s there and if not, locks the phone. Within an app, you press the button to go home. Press again to return to the first page of springboard. Press again to show the notification shade. Long press for Siri. Etc… Pick up the phone, it turns up, scans your face and unlocks. Press the side home button to open the notification shade. This way you can keep on pressing the home button and it will move the shade up and down. There will be no indicator at the bottom of the phone, but gestures for multitasking will be there. PS: What clues for all that? The new lock screen mechanism, the longer “lock” button, no front home button, space wasted with a software home button, the shut down setting, and now code.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    clemynx said:
    You guys pretend to be knowledgeable on Apple, and yet you understand now what I understood months ago. The home button will move to the side.
    We shall see if a few days, oh wise one.

I personally think the thin software bar below the typical dock location would make a nice home button. To be dragged up to enter multitasking or further for home. And if Apple were clever, they could add a secondary method where tapping it once would return the user home—like a shortcut that skips the multi-tasking UI. This way it could get out of the way nicely during most use and in particular full screen use where anything other than a thin bar could be annoying. Apple could control the colour and opacity of this bar to keep its design minimal at all times.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 33 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    clemynx said:
    You guys pretend to be knowledgeable on Apple, and yet you understand now what I understood months ago. The home button will move to the side. And Apple will use new gestures. Both things are true. To lock the phone, you either move the notification shade down which triggers FaceID and move your face away which locks the phone. Or you simply put down your phone and like the Watch, AI detects the movements, triggers FaceID to check if someone’s there and if not, locks the phone. Within an app, you press the button to go home. Press again to return to the first page of springboard. Press again to show the notification shade. Long press for Siri. Etc… Pick up the phone, it turns up, scans your face and unlocks. Press the side home button to open the notification shade. This way you can keep on pressing the home button and it will move the shade up and down. There will be no indicator at the bottom of the phone, but gestures for multitasking will be there. PS: What clues for all that? The new lock screen mechanism, the longer “lock” button, no front home button, space wasted with a software home button, the shut down setting, and now code.
    1) You're making absolutely statements that you can't possibly back up. Everything you've said most people here have also said, but they stated it as what they think will most likely happen, not in unconditional statement about what Apple "will" do because no one here has any inside knowledge about Apple's massive and complex internal workings (at least not knowledge they can share) and neither do you.

2) What's the deal with the lack of paragraphs? Not even your postscript could get a carriage return.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    srivarib said:
    Then how are you going to switch off the phone? 
    Maybe the implementation is: tap to sleep/awake, hold for half a second to invoke Siri, continue holding for 3 seconds to power off. Admittedly, this solution would be ugly. Siri would be trying to help you before getting cutoff by the slide to power off. Yikes...

Removing the home button causes more problems than it resolves. 
    You don't know that. you're speculating based on rumors and unknowns. 
    HENCE THE ADVERB "MAYBE," THE FIRST FREAKING WORD IN THE STATEMENT. Geez. 
     No, your “maybe” was referring to a possible implementation and not what I commented on. I commented on this absolute assertion which was an entirely separate paragraph and what you closed your post with:

Removing the home button causes more problems than it resolves.”

...which is bogus, and why I said so. 

But it nice try at confusing things with your other paragraph about possible UX methods. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 35 of 36

Soli said:
    srivarib said:
    Then how are you going to switch off the phone? 
    Maybe the implementation is: tap to sleep/awake, hold for half a second to invoke Siri, continue holding for 3 seconds to power off. Admittedly, this solution would be ugly. Siri would be trying to help you before getting cutoff by the slide to power off. Yikes...

Removing the home button causes more problems than it resolves. 
    You don't know that. you're speculating based on rumors and unknowns. 
    He said maybe and he even said that solution would admittedly be ugly. I appreciate people spitballs ideas. If it's not sound, in complete, or you think you have a better solution then state a rebuttal. When we have a certain poster on this forum that makes absolute claims about things he can't possible know I'd think someone brainstorming and using the appropriate modifiers would be welcome.
    My rebuttal is simple — claiming that “removing the home button causes more problems than it resolves” is nonsense. The solutions aren’t even know yet, so it’s impossible to claim that. 

I’m not in a discussion on what future UX may be, nor do I understand why you think I am. But white knight away. Look, a damsel in distress! 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 36 of 36

@StrangeDays, your defence of Apple is commendable. However, you need to realise that a lot of posters here are Apple fans who can have different opinions and can infer different things or speculate differently. It doesn't make them anti-Apple.

Your takedown of some known trolls is always welcome, but it gets tiresome when you blindly jump in to defend Apple from some imaginary snub when someone is speculating without any ulterior motive or malice.

Everyone thinks different.

cornchipavon b7