Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 301 of 352
    78Bandit said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:
    iPhone 8 and X both get a giant MEH from this fanboy. 

My screen on my 6 is still pretty amazing.  I don't have an issue with using my fingerprint to unlock.  It still runs plenty fast.  The camera takes amazing photos of my kid.

So what does the 8 or X get me?  The ability to play AR games and not much else.  Not going to force me to upgrade with that.  Apple has run out of innovations, but so has everyone.  I just expect more from Apple.  Now the S3 watch, that I'll buy.  LTE on my wrist and no phone needed nearby?  Shut up and take my money!
    If you are satisfied with the 6, there is nothing wrong with that.

But for me I want the BEST. I want the CUTTING EDGE.  I want the Ferrari of phones.

I keep my phones for at least 2 years.  So $999 to get the best phone on PLANET EARTH is no problem.  After trade in I'm paying less than a $1 a day to have the privledge of owning the most amazing phone on the planet.
    What I want from Apple is to get the Lexus of phones.  I want the highest quality produced in a quantity that supports a reasonable price.  I'm willing to pay for the newest technology, but I do not want to pay extra just for exclusivity.  There isn't anything cutting edge in the phone, 
    Lexuses are not cheap cars, they cost a premium over practical cars. And the claim that there is nothing cutting edge in the X is absurd. The A11 Bionic speaks for itself. The tech needed to do real face auth that doesn't suck is cutting edge. The OLED screen is according to apple unique. It has a great size. And it runs the best mobile OS in the world. 

Enjoy your Android.
  • Reply 302 of 352
    london11 said:
    is the 8 really necessary?  and why don't they just call it 7s?  I mean, it's a nice stop gap till the X is out in 6 weeks' time but it's not that much cheaper than the X anyway.  If they want the average price per unit to go up, why have the 8 cannibalise X sales?
    The series number indicates the design version. The materials and design of the 8 are difficult from the 7 series, thus it's an 8.
  • Reply 303 of 352
    hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    AirPower? ROFL. Seriously who thinks up these names?
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    Wireless charging. 
    That can't be trademarked. No wonder you're a critic.
  • Reply 304 of 352
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    schlack said:
    At $650 this would have been a killer phone. At $1150 (bc who wants to spend $999 to get a 64GB phone) it's a bit absurd.

Add a case for $50 and 7% tax and Apple care and it's a $1400 phone!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, AppleCare did go up. Even for the older 7 series I believe. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 305 of 352
    london11 said:
    is the 8 really necessary?  and why don't they just call it 7s?  I mean, it's a nice stop gap till the X is out in 6 weeks' time but it's not that much cheaper than the X anyway.  If they want the average price per unit to go up, why have the 8 cannibalise X sales?
    The series number indicates the design version. The materials and design of the 8 are difficult from the 7 series, thus it's an 8.
    I'm looking at the comparison of the different models and there's very little that's different (between the 7 plus and the 8 plus) at least they're using the A11 chip on the 8 as well. I'll probably end up with the 8 plus anyway as I can't wait another 6 weeks  :D
  • Reply 306 of 352
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,736member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

My screen on my 6 is still pretty amazing.  I don't have an issue with using my fingerprint to unlock.  It still runs plenty fast.  The camera takes amazing photos of my kid.

So what does the 8 or X get me?  The ability to play AR games and not much else.  Not going to force me to upgrade with that.  Apple has run out of innovations, but so has everyone.  I just expect more from Apple.  Now the S3 watch, that I'll buy.  LTE on my wrist and no phone needed nearby?  Shut up and take my money!

But for me I want the BEST. I want the CUTTING EDGE.  I want the Ferrari of phones.

I keep my phones for at least 2 years.  So $999 to get the best phone on PLANET EARTH is no problem.  After trade in I'm paying less than a $1 a day to have the privledge of owning the most amazing phone on the planet.
    But when you realise it's still just a phone, the price will come into focus for many.

Not that I'm against it in this case.

If you think the phone is worthy of the price tag and you can afford it, great, but my guess is that demand will be spread out all along the line and the X will be a status thing for a much smaller group of users.
    Nope, bogus premise -- it's not "just a phone". Were that true we'd still be using flip phones. it's a computer. in your pocket. 

Would you prefer I used 'smart' before every instance of phone?

I think it's clear I mean 'smart' and not 'feature' but as you wish.

Is there something the X has that other smartphones are not?

I don't mean how they do it but what they do.

You know, something that screams I must have that feature and the only way I'll get it is on the X?
    If you change your original claim to "it's just a smartphone" it doesn't make sense -- there is no limiting ("just") factor with a smart-phone, which indicates "pocket computer that oh btw can also take calls". "just" a phone indicates limited usefulness. But smartphones, being computers, can do all sorts of use cases beyond plain old calls. That's what makes them smart, that's what makes them computers, and that's what makes them pricey. So moving the goalposts to "it's just a smart-phone" doesn't make sense as a complaint in the way that pretending "it's just a phone" does.

As to the rest, I never said anything about what the X does or doesnt compared to competitors. I only took issue with the bogus claim that it's "just a phone", which you have now retracted. But personally, I'm looking forward to the cameras and virtual lighting, the unrivaled A11 processing power to run my apps even faster, the size, etc.. All without having to use a crappy Android OS and knockoff hardware.
    I didn't retract the comment!

I just made it clearer for you as you were incapable of putting it into context.

In a thread on the latest smartphones and in the context of what they do, you shouldn't even need any help understanding it.

I duly obliged without problem but I didn't retract the statement because everybody and their dog understood it on first reading.

Would your interpretation make any sense to anyone (of course, except you)? Of course not.
  • Reply 307 of 352
    78Bandit said:
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

What I want from Apple is to get the Lexus of phones.  I want the highest quality produced in a quantity that supports a reasonable price.  I'm willing to pay for the newest technology, but I do not want to pay extra just for exclusivity.  There isn't anything cutting edge in the phone, 
    Lexuses are not cheap cars, they cost a premium over practical cars. And the claim that there is nothing cutting edge in the X is absurd. The A11 Bionic speaks for itself. The tech needed to do real face auth that doesn't suck is cutting edge. The OLED screen is according to apple unique. It has a great size. And it runs the best mobile OS in the world. 

Enjoy your Android.
    That's pretty much my point.  Lexuses are premium cars with premium features yet are sold at a reasonable price when compared to manufacturers like Ferrari or even Mercedes.  With a Lexus you are paying more for the premium product and less for exclusivity, which is what Apple did under Steve Jobs.

Regarding the A11 chip, this is the same chip found in the $700 iPhone 8 with the same 64GB memory and the same iOS 11, right?  What is the iPhone X bringing to the table that makes it worth $300 more from a tech standpoint?  Also, Microsoft has had similar facial recognition in its Surface line for three years now and AMOLED screens are not new either.  Overall this is Apple refining existing technology more than any great leap forward.  This is what they do best.

I will continue to enjoy my iPhone 6 Plus for another year, and if it should happen to break I would likely get a second-hand iPhone 7 to replace it.  I like Apple's products, but this focus on fashion and exclusivity with the iPhone X has me out of the new market for at least a year.  We'll see how things are going next year when Apple hopefully has a full range of phones with a similar design to the iPhone X as their main product line and the four-year-old LCD design is deprecated.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 308 of 352
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    New repair and replace price list is up now, as are those prices.
    https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/pricing
    GG1
  • Reply 309 of 352
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    78Bandit said:
    Also, Microsoft has had similar facial recognition in its Surface line for three years now and AMOLED screens are not new either.
    All face recognition or LED-based displays are exactly the same to you and being "best" is unimportant compared to being "before Apple" (not even being "first!"). Got it, now move along.
  • Reply 310 of 352
    So what happened to copper/bronze phone that everyone was comparing to the Zune? Or the one with the white bezel? I’ll bet any money these weren’t even real Apple models.
    You were supposed to forget about that already.
  • Reply 311 of 352
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    maasmeier said:
    As predicted, a notch is cut out of the top of the screen for the speaker, forward-facing camera, and the new 3D facial recognition sensor.

Speaking to other design features, … 

That notch …

is my main feature not being possible to like this iPhone IN ANY WAY. This thing is embarrassing. Apple has the opportunity to correct this main UI fail by optimizing the handling of the statusbar background to just black (at least on the ones with a black front).

Then, possibly next year when this happens, I can easily think about wanting this thing or not. So long my 6s has to be it.
    Wow! If that’s the reason you wouldn’t get this phone, then brother, you have problems.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 312 of 352

maasmeier said:
    As predicted, a notch is cut out of the top of the screen for the speaker, forward-facing camera, and the new 3D facial recognition sensor.

Speaking to other design features, … 

That notch …

is my main feature not being possible to like this iPhone IN ANY WAY. This thing is embarrassing. Apple has the opportunity to correct this main UI fail by optimizing the handling of the statusbar background to just black (at least on the ones with a black front).

Then, possibly next year when this happens, I can easily think about wanting this thing or not. So long my 6s has to be it.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say I won't like the iPhone in any way, but I did think it was odd they chose to embrace it instead of making it look like a seamless part of the top bezel but with OLED display elements, with the screen (rounded corners and all) starting just below it. I thought that'd be slick. And no doubt, I'm SURE they tried it, and decided not to do it, for any number of reasons. I don't get it, but like the antennae breaks in the 6 I was like "ok whatever" and moved on with my life and don't let it bother me.

It's not a hardware issue though; they *could* update iOS to make that area black at all times... but will they? Who knows, but it's possible. They've had other iffy UI decisions get significant adjustments after the fact in the past.

It IS kinda weird though that the Videos app for example will play a video in a slightly letterboxed format to maintain a pure rectangular image, but if you double-tap to zoom in, you get the full on notch cut out of the side of your video. THAT seems weird to me, from a content display perspective. I'd just never choose to use any app that way if there's an option. I'll have to see how it plays out IRL, but I imagine in most cases you'll just get used to it and not worry so much.
    They could have just not continued the screen up that far, and had the entire top one long strip, as before, but thinner. This way they can display more information without using up space in the full width of the screen right below, giving app developers more room for their apps, without having to blank out the status info normally presented at the top of the screen, as many developers choose to do.

its really a win win situation. I know that some people get bent out of shape over truly minor things. This is one of them. Another was the electronic Touch ID button last year.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 313 of 352
    melgross said:

eightzero said:
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?

Yes actually, with the appropriate legal justification, i.e. immediate probable cause or a warrant, they can force you to open your eyes and unlock your phone with your face, just as they can force you to use your finger to unlock it.

What they cannot do, even with a warrant, is force you to speak your password/passcode; it's a Fifth Amendment thing.

Though with a warrant, they can still legally try to crack your phone themselves, and if they succeed, their access is completely legal.

Yes, with proper legal authorization. But you’re wrong about the password. There has already been a case where the judge required the password be given. What we don’t know, is whether that will become a precedent, or a one off.

cracking your phone is the other thing that people don’t want to talk about. But in an earlier post, I pointed out that in a border situation where you turn off biometric security, and refuse to give your password, or open the phone yourself, they can take your phone for, what is now, an unspecified time, and open it themselves. That’s worse.

and, again, right now, we’re granted some amount of security by the government, but that doesn’t mean it will last forever. The EU is pursuing a law that makes it illegal for manufacturers to produces devices that law enforcement can’t get into. The UK, which looks to be leaving the EU, is also looking into that. Will China and Russia be far behind if that happens? What other countries will follow? Would we be out of it, or would we do it here too? We have elements in this country that consider privacy to be dangerous.

this is why I think people are going too far with this. If law enforcement can’t crack some major cases, particularly if it involves terrorism of the right, left or whatever, the public will decide that these locked phones have to go, and that would be worse.
  • Reply 314 of 352
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    freerange said:
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    Motorcycle riding is dangerous enough with 80%+ of accidents caused by the other driver. So what kind of moron tries to unlock and use their phone while riding a motorcycle? Automatic jail time should be required.
    My son and many of his friends use helmet comms to take calls, get directions via voice, that type of thing. Yeah they use their phones while riding, and it's common. 
    Well your son and his friends are idiots. No one should be unlocking their phones when they are riding/driving. That's just dumb.

You've very obviously never owned a motorcycle. 
    Doesn’t make it right. No more right than the jerks who text while driving.
  • Reply 315 of 352

airnerd said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    I like the notch. It makes a break with styling. Android phones have been there too with similiar negative opinions from some but I like this design over say, the Sharp screen with corners cut off.

You'll have to ask me in a couple of years if I still like it, though.

From the photos I don't like the bezel. Seems like it's wearing a bumper case but built in but as that's likely a photo problem, I'll reserve final judgment until I hold one in my hand.

I’d love to know why Apple decided to embrace the notch. Was there no seamless way to hide it without it looking like a hack? Now that they’ve gone OLED I’m surprised we didn’t get dark mode which might have helped hide it.
    They don't need "help" to hide it, they could've just made that part of the screen black, easily, and "hid" it. That's it. They didn't, meaning they tried it and didn't like it, and you know they tried it. Go ask Alan Dye why not.
    I don’t know that they tried it. But if they prefer the notch to making that part of the screen black then I question who’s making the decisions here. Ben Bajarin who is about as pro Apple as anyone said he hopes developers don’t embrace the notch. John Gruber said the notch (especially in landscape mode) looks “goofy”. I hope Apple does some PR around this and explains their thinking behind it. I’d like to know. Also while I think the animated emoji look cool and will be a hit with certain demographics it is odd that Apple chose it as one of the main selling features of a $1000 phone. Does Apple really think parents are going to be shelling out $1000 to buy their teenage kids the X? I can’t see adults using this feature much.
    People always have problems with new design language when it first comes out. Remember all the hand wringing about Airpod design?

Its the same with the notch.  After a while you won't notice it at all.

I think you are wrong about the Animoji.  Everyone who I spoke to who are NOT kids/teenagers absolutely love the feature.  
    I work with a broad mix of ages, from 23 to 60.  No one I spoke with gives one crap about animoji's.  It's a bar trick that won't be used after the first day.  
    I doubt they’re right. Animoji are already popular on a number of gaming networks that have them.
  • Reply 316 of 352

k2kw said:

Is the OLED screen on the iPhone which comes from Samsung a Pentile screen.

For years there were comments on this forum that LCD was better then the OLED Pentile screens and better than the higher definition screens on Android phones.  

I’m really hoping it’s not. The only reason why Samsung went to a 1440 display was because Pentile, with its extra green sub pixel, for extra brightness, is coarse looking. So you need a significantly higher Rez screen to get over that. I’m also tired of people who know nothing about Rez claiming that screens with super high pixel density look better. What a load of crap that is.

apple has a number of OLED patents. I’m hoping that they can get around the Pentile configuration, because at the new Rez, it might be a bit too low to look smooth with type and graphics.
  • Reply 317 of 352
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    I like the notch. It makes a break with styling. Android phones have been there too with similiar negative opinions from some but I like this design over say, the Sharp screen with corners cut off.

From the photos I don't like the bezel. Seems like it's wearing a bumper case but built in but as that's likely a photo problem, I'll reserve final judgment until I hold one in my hand.

I’d love to know why Apple decided to embrace the notch. Was there no seamless way to hide it without it looking like a hack? Now that they’ve gone OLED I’m surprised we didn’t get dark mode which might have helped hide it.
    I love the notch.

Makes the X very unique 

The truth is for most photo's, video's, and Apps - the top or side of the image does not have much important information.
    Would you watch a movie in a theater with a dent at the left side of the screen?
    What does that have to do with anything? The notch is only in effect if you zoom to full screen. Yes, the video will have borders, and so be a bit smaller. Nothing is perfect.
  • Reply 318 of 352
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:

I love the notch.

Makes the X very unique 

The truth is for most photo's, video's, and Apps - the top or side of the image does not have much important information.
    Would you watch a movie in a theater with a dent at the left side of the screen?
    So you get either a 5.8" display with a notch and rounded edges or a 5.15" display with 90° angles. If you're coming from a 4.7" iPhone how is that a bad thing?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 319 of 352
    melgross said:
    If they’re doing it legally…
    Since when have they cared about that, Mel? Not for decades now. The protections of the Constitution have been almost fully eroded. And that’s all I’ll say on the political matters in this thread.
    Well, it’s still pretty good. But Bush’s Patriot Act killed much of it. Right before, he was touting privacy, and that went out of the window.
  • Reply 320 of 352
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

eightzero said:
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?
    This is potentially non-trivial when you're crossing borders and you're a business traveler. If customs or immigration forces you to unlock it, they can view anything, including your emails, texts, phone call logs, etc., and there may be confidential company material, secrets, plans, IP, etc. With TouchID you can just avoid setting it up, and say that you forgot your password (or some such thing).
    What I’ve read about a border check of your phone is that they can have the right to take your phone from you, and keep it for some time if you don’t comply. If so, will most people allow the phone check, with them there to watch, or would they prefer the agent to take the phone from them, and possibly have the FBI open it for them, looking at everything, and doing who knows what in your network at home as well, through your device. I would also imagine that if you used find your phone to lock it, or to wipe it, you would end up in even more trouble.

people have to understand this before they make a rash decision. So I don’t know if it’s a serious thing to say no in those situations. Several judges have already said that no biometric security pops up the fifth amendment, and there has been at least one case where the judge said that the password needed to be given too.

so,where does all of this stand?

Actually to be more specific here, Board Patrols or ICE are not police they are an agency and thus not subject to the same standard as Police are held to, they can violate your rights since they can not arrest you, they can detain you and then get someone like the FBI or police to arrest you. These agency are enforcing Agency or Federal rules in many case there is no due process. There are many example of DEA raiding a house tearing it apart only to realize they had the wrong house and owners had no recourse. Welcome to the world of Federal Agencies. As yourself what the Fed sent the ATF into Wako or Ruby Ridge when they want to get those people.
    edited September 2017