Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 241 of 352
    I rewatched the keynote and Craig Federighi called it an edge to edge display several times. He also showed off photos and played a 4K video and the notch was visibly present. I’m still surprised they’re embracing it rather than pushing ways to make it blend in.
  • Reply 242 of 352
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    I don't know.  When I'm laying down, on my side, so my eyes are oriented vertically, I still have depth perception.  Don't you? 

Horizontal placement is evolution's attempt (excuse the completely inaccurate anthropomorphism) to implement both depth perception and peripheral vision in predators, while at the same time reducing neural complexity.

As you point out, depth perception itself only requires two perspectives offset from each other.  It doesn't require any particular orientation.

StrangeDays
  • Reply 243 of 352
    melgross said:

eightzero said:
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?

Yes actually, with the appropriate legal justification, i.e. immediate probable cause or a warrant, they can force you to open your eyes and unlock your phone with your face, just as they can force you to use your finger to unlock it.

What they cannot do, even with a warrant, is force you to speak your password/passcode; it's a Fifth Amendment thing.

Though with a warrant, they can still legally try to crack your phone themselves, and if they succeed, their access is completely legal.

• Reply 244 of 352
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    volcan said:
    I am no public speaker and do not like having to be in that role, but Tim Cook absolutely sucks and is not inspiring what so ever. Every thing that comes out of his mouth is forced and any attempt at humor is cringe worthy.
    In the US, and elsewhere in the English speaking world, we have many different accents. Be it Boston, New York, Minnesota etc. But as a Californian, the  southern drawl is the most painful To listen to. No matter how smart Tim might be, I find it  difficult to get over his southern accent. So, I can understand how people find his speaking presense less than impressive. I suppose it all depends on your perspective but his speaking voice totally grates on my ears.
    Boy you really haven't heard southern drawls if Tim's voice bothers you.
    stompybeowulfschmidtfastasleep
  • Reply 245 of 352
    I’m seeing techies on Twitter saying they’re not blown away by iPhone X.  So what exactly would blow them away? 
    For those individuals it would have to be any phone released on the Android platform. Some folks out there are so anti-Apple prejudiced that it clouds their opinions on the entire marketplace. Therefore these individuals' viewpoints should be taken with a grain of salt. Not necessarily shoot them down and attempt to discredit them, because that is the reaction they are seeking from an Apple fan. Because why argue? Really, up to this point, the lines between functionality of the two platforms have blurred slightly and all flagship offerings contain very similar bells and whistles. 

However, I would argue that the iPhone X surely stands apart from the crowd. Anyone who thinks differently, I'm sorry... needs their head examined. 
    Actually, I'm pretty amazed Apple is able to keep incorporating things as big as they are into these updates each year, but a segment of the population will always complain that phones don't toast bread or wash clothes or do something so ignorantly stupid as their expectations of tech progress suggest. Plus, there is the tribal aspect of these products, the Android vs. iDevice puerile team mentality. Those reasons along with an entire generation that grew up thinking you earn cool points by being negative on the internets will always be the first to offer their learned predictable and childish assessments, just like over at MR there is always the race to be the first negative commenter in any thread. Same mentality, basic staple of the modern internet troll.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 246 of 352
    MplsP said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I think people seem to forget that no one buys a smartphone outright; it comes on a contract. And if you don't want a contract then get it on Apple's pay monthly scheme. 

The price of an iPhone has only ever been an issue in online forums. 
    My last 2 phones have been purchased outright. The days of discounted pricing with a 2 year contract are pretty much gone. Most people I know have their cell phone plan and the phone payment on top of that, so you know exactly how much your phone is costing you.

AppleZulu said:
    Lot of nice stuff on the Phone, but there is no way on planet earth I am paying $1,000 for a cell phone. If I had Tim Cook's paycheck I would not pay $1,000 for a cell phone.
    Friends, this is a device most people replace every 2 years. My iPad Pro was about that price and is a far more useful item.

I will be updating my watch from V1 to V3 with LTE and keeping my iPhone 7.
    Initial reaction:  X is nice and very pretty.  But it doesn't really have THAT much over my 7+ to justify the cost.  Other than pretty and it works "different", not much added functional value for what I do.  I will pass this one and wait for 2018.
    These comments fascinate me. I realize this is an Apple fan site, and I am an Apple fan myself, but I really don't think Apple's target audience for upgrades is people who have last year's model, or even the year before. Even back in the day when phone carriers subsidized (read put you on a payment plan with interest) iPhones, the upgrade cycle was two years at the shortest. They preferred to keep you at three years or more, because they didn't reduce your phone bill with a notice that your phone was paid off, which means they raked in extra cash while you thought about it.

So the real question is: are the owners of 5s and 6 phones ready to get the upgrade?
    I have an iPhone 6s and I can't say that I'm going to upgrade. I sure as hell am not going to pay $1000 for a phone. When I think about what I use my phone for and what an iPhone X or iPhone 8 gives me it makes no sense.
    • My phone is plenty fast enough. The extra processing power isn't useful for me.
    • I don't need augmented reality.
    • The screen is fine. 
    • Touch ID is fast and reliable. Facial recognition is an unknown, but the first generation of Touch ID was somewhat lacking. Right now, ditching Touch ID for facial recognition is a hard sell.
    • I still have headphones that have that 'ancient' 3.5mm jack that the entire world is still using. Yes, I know I can get a dongle that will let them work with the newer phones, but again, why should I get a new phone that's less convenient for me?
    When the iPhone first came out, each generation made significant improvements. Smartphones are becoming a mature technology, so the incremental changes between models are making a much less compelling case to upgrade than they used to. Some people need the newest toy and are willing to pay $1000 for it. I've got better things to spend $1000 on.

Yes $1000 to just be able to make animoji's is a little expensive for my blood.   I'm sure they will get plenty of young kids dying to buy this phone, especially when this gets integrated as a feature in SnapChat and Instagram.  

airnerd
  • Reply 247 of 352
    So Engadget says the notch doesn’t bother them but then complains about the very thin bezel that goes all around the screen. Hey Engadget, newsflash, the S8 has this too but because the screen is curved at the edges you don’t notice it. LG has it, so does Xiaomi. In fact the only phone that doesn’t appear to have a thin bezel at the edge is the Essential phone which nobody in their right mind would buy because who knows how long it will exist or be supported. 

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/12/apple-iphone-x-hands-on/

Are people seriously not going to buy this phone because of the very thin bezel around the edge? Good grief.

That's a pity about the essential because i do like it's looks/design.   Android definately needs a competitor on the high end against Samsung.  It sounds like a good Freshman try but they need to get a better camera and waterproofing to compete.

• Reply 248 of 352
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:
    So with all the bitching about the iPhone X and the dire pronouncements of 'not going to upgrade' I guess the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ got lost in the shuffle. For those bitching about Face ID... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about price... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about bezels and notches... iPhone 8 or 8+? What? Apple only makes one iPhone now and it's not for you? Please explain.
    iPhone 8 is $100 more expensive than iPhone 7 was. I am a little surprised Apple quoted the full price instead of monthly pricing.
    They always quote full prices.
    I think people seem to forget that no one buys a smartphone outright; it comes on a contract. And if you don't want a contract then get it on Apple's pay monthly scheme. 

The price of an iPhone has only ever been an issue in online forums. 
    I buy my phones outright. Granted I do not live in the US anymore, but the freedom of not being locked in is worth it for me.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 249 of 352
    iPhone 8 and X both get a giant MEH from this fanboy. 

My screen on my 6 is still pretty amazing.  I don't have an issue with using my fingerprint to unlock.  It still runs plenty fast.  The camera takes amazing photos of my kid.

So what does the 8 or X get me?  The ability to play AR games and not much else.  Not going to force me to upgrade with that.  Apple has run out of innovations, but so has everyone.  I just expect more from Apple.  Now the S3 watch, that I'll buy.  LTE on my wrist and no phone needed nearby?  Shut up and take my money!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 250 of 352
    This was really a Meh! Event. As has been said, we knew most of what was coming and as far as the iPhone X is concerned, sorry no sale.
    Face recog won't work for me a lot of the time when I'm out and about as I wear a full face crash helmet with a silk ski mask type liner. So it is just my eyes visible. Yet for touch ID, all I had to do was remove a glove.
    Fail, mega fail in my eyes but YMMV naturally. So, I'll pass on that.
    I'll pass on the Watch. Can't bear anything on my wrist.
    Apple TV? Not my cup of tea.

So a Meh! event for me.
    Still I'll probably buy a fully loaded iMac before the end of the year so Apple, all is not lost when it comes to emptying my wallet.
    It makes no sense to complain about it being a "meh" event -- only because you read every single leaked report leading up to said event. Dont read the leaks if you want to be surprised.
    stompy
  • Reply 251 of 352
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    freerange said:
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    Motorcycle riding is dangerous enough with 80%+ of accidents caused by the other driver. So what kind of moron tries to unlock and use their phone while riding a motorcycle? Automatic jail time should be required.
    My son and many of his friends use helmet comms to take calls, get directions via voice, that type of thing. Yeah they use their phones while riding, and it's common. 
  • Reply 252 of 352

airnerd said:

My screen on my 6 is still pretty amazing.  I don't have an issue with using my fingerprint to unlock.  It still runs plenty fast.  The camera takes amazing photos of my kid.

So what does the 8 or X get me?  The ability to play AR games and not much else.  Not going to force me to upgrade with that.  Apple has run out of innovations, but so has everyone.  I just expect more from Apple.  Now the S3 watch, that I'll buy.  LTE on my wrist and no phone needed nearby?  Shut up and take my money!
    Different strokes. I'll keep my Series 0 and definitely get the X. 
  • Reply 253 of 352
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The negative posts about the iPhone X, Face ID, the NOTCH are hilarious. Hilarious because of the fact that this sort of thing happens every damn year like clockwork. Every year we are treated to this cacophony of negativity and disappointment. Every year there are protestations and solemn vows to pass up this year's model. Every year we have to sit back and read about Apple's failure. Then it all quiets down, the new releases sell vigorously, and those who screamed to loudest wind up buying anyway. It's a broken record. But it points out how disconnected people who think of themselves as techies are from the real world and who Apple's customers actually are. And what's the response from techies when Apple's 'failures' go on to wild success? The only thing they can come up with that strokes their egos is, "People are stupid."

So okay, you have your opinions but don't go thinking your opinion matters to Apple or its customers. Don't go thinking your opinion will influence the design of the NOTCH. Apple knows who and what you are and they have endured you for forty years now. 
    stompybrucemctmayStrangeDaysmelgrossfastasleep
  • Reply 254 of 352
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

sog35 said:
    BittySon said:
    With Face ID, how are you supposed to unlock your phone while driving?
    You should NOT be unlocking your phone when you are driving. PERIOD.
    This sort of question reminds me of the "How do I charge and listen at the same time" attempt at a gotcha when the headphone jack went away. 
  • Reply 255 of 352
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    freerange said:
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    Motorcycle riding is dangerous enough with 80%+ of accidents caused by the other driver. So what kind of moron tries to unlock and use their phone while riding a motorcycle? Automatic jail time should be required.
    My son and many of his friends use helmet comms to take calls, get directions via voice, that type of thing. Yeah they use their phones while riding, and it's common. 
    Well your son and his friends are idiots. No one should be unlocking their phones when they are riding/driving. That's just dumb.

You've very obviously never owned a motorcycle. 
  • Reply 256 of 352
    I have just checked online russian Apple Store. It says iPhoneX prices starts at 79,990 rubles or $1379 (all taxes included). Ouch.

Here in Canada, iPhone X is $1,319 (64GB) & $1.529 ($256GB), and that's BEFORE taxes.  AppleCare+ is $249.  Not cheap.

I think that over the next two years they will introduce an iPhoneXIPlus and a 512 GB models sometime in the next 4 years.   They will of course be even more expensive.
  • Reply 257 of 352
    sog35 said:
    airnerd said:

If you are satisfied with the 6, there is nothing wrong with that.

But for me I want the BEST. I want the CUTTING EDGE.  I want the Ferrari of phones.

I keep my phones for at least 2 years.  So $999 to get the best phone on PLANET EARTH is no problem.  After trade in I'm paying less than a $1 a day to have the privledge of owning the most amazing phone on the planet.
    Going into the conference yesterday I was thinking the same.  I typically get every third iteration of iphone (3G to 4S to 6) so this was the one I was going to get.  But my 3G and 4S were both limping along.  My 6 is still going strong so there aren't any features I'm dying for.  

So I completely get where you are coming from and am usually in the same spot.  the cost isn't the issue for me because I'll keep it for 3 years again, just was hoping Apple would amaze me like they do every few years.  Just not feeling this one, but the phone does look very nice.  
  • Reply 258 of 352
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    I like the notch. It makes a break with styling. Android phones have been there too with similiar negative opinions from some but I like this design over say, the Sharp screen with corners cut off.

You'll have to ask me in a couple of years if I still like it, though.

From the photos I don't like the bezel. Seems like it's wearing a bumper case but built in but as that's likely a photo problem, I'll reserve final judgment until I hold one in my hand.

I’d love to know why Apple decided to embrace the notch. Was there no seamless way to hide it without it looking like a hack? Now that they’ve gone OLED I’m surprised we didn’t get dark mode which might have helped hide it.
    They don't need "help" to hide it, they could've just made that part of the screen black, easily, and "hid" it. That's it. They didn't, meaning they tried it and didn't like it, and you know they tried it. Go ask Alan Dye why not.
    I don’t know that they tried it. But if they prefer the notch to making that part of the screen black then I question who’s making the decisions here. Ben Bajarin who is about as pro Apple as anyone said he hopes developers don’t embrace the notch. John Gruber said the notch (especially in landscape mode) looks “goofy”. I hope Apple does some PR around this and explains their thinking behind it. I’d like to know. Also while I think the animated emoji look cool and will be a hit with certain demographics it is odd that Apple chose it as one of the main selling features of a $1000 phone. Does Apple really think parents are going to be shelling out $1000 to buy their teenage kids the X? I can’t see adults using this feature much.
    People always have problems with new design language when it first comes out. Remember all the hand wringing about Airpod design?

Its the same with the notch.  After a while you won't notice it at all.

I think you are wrong about the Animoji.  Everyone who I spoke to who are NOT kids/teenagers absolutely love the feature.  
    I work with a broad mix of ages, from 23 to 60.  No one I spoke with gives one crap about animoji's.  It's a bar trick that won't be used after the first day.  
  • Reply 259 of 352
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    MisterKit said:
    I don't like the camera notch on the screen. It throws off any sense of symmetry no matter how it is held. It would be nice to be able to switch off the areas to the sides of the notch. I don't have a better solution. It is just annoying to constantly see the black notch. It does not feel like something that Jony would approve.

I think they made the most out of it. Sure no notch will be much nicer but not possible at the moment. In design you have to deal with certain facts.

The Android notch will be harder to pull of though because most of the time i see about 231 icons at the top of the screen.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 260 of 352
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    Stop taking pictures or shooting video improperly and hold the phone horizontally. That is specifically why Apple changed the orientation.