Apple continues weekly update cycle with iOS 11.0.2, containing iPhone 8 call crackling fi...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    melgross said:

netrox said:
    melgross said:
    Sometimes these releases get confusing. So, I’ve got 11.1 beta. The beta release doesn’t mention these fixes, as far as I’ve seen. But this is out after 11.1 came out. So does the 11.1 beta contain these fixes, or not?

You're getting beta. Totally different.

Basically, how versioning works is this: let's suppose there is a software with 11.3.2 version. The "2" would be an update to fix bugs without affecting backward compatibility. The "3" is usually improvements on existing issues without affecting compatibility. The "11" is a major version that can break compatibility in favor of new features. It's like this: [major].[minor].[fixes]. That's usually for production releases.

When you get developer (beta) version, it follows a different version although they increment upon fixes and features.

Yeah, we all know this. It still doesn’t answer the question.
    It actually does.

No, the existing 11.1 beta does not include these fixes. The beta is about new minor features. They integrate fixes to the beta after the fixes hit the release train. Thus, the next beta may have these fixes integrated. The gold master of 11.1 will have the existing fixes integrated.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    I just found something huge: the upgrade to iOS 11 is switching Mail downloads from "manual" to "fetch" (push). I had mine set to manual to save battery, but they were all switched to fetch when I upgraded. Check Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Fetch New Data. Huge battery hog.
    argonauthypoluxah4y3s
  • Reply 23 of 39
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    No battery drain fix, I see.  Nope, I'm not updating my 6s Plus until they figure their shit out.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    waverboy said:
    No battery drain fix, I see.  Nope, I'm not updating my 6s Plus until they figure their shit out.
    Funny how I got the 6s and no issu, check your apps and settings. 

Must have ave some unicorn phone...

i’ve never seen a iOS update with people not bitching about battery. Only a few time did it turn out not to be initial housekeeping/iCloud , third party updates and housekeeping setting changes and downloads or resetting of some settings (like going to push).
    StrangeDaysmagman1979chia
  • Reply 25 of 39
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I hope this fixes the battery draining bug, today was the first time I experienced it.

Usually I use Apple maps within CarPlay, so my phone is plugged in and charging, however today I was on leave in London and my iPhone 6s Plus dropped 23% of battery life within 12 minutes of using Apple maps to go from a train station to an attraction.

i tried google maps instead and got the same amount of battery drain.

later on I used Uber and the same issue happen whilst in the map element of that app.

Somethhing is seriously wrong with GPS services on iOS 11!

Whilst navigation was not being used the battery dropped at the normal level.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Re: the battery issue; I've seen some reports that the iOS 11 update turned push notifications back on, so if you previously had them turned off, I'd check that.

Also, It's a bit of a pain, but doing a fresh install and not copying over your iCloud backup can sometimes fix issues. I view it as something akin to doing an OS X upgrade vs a clean install. 
  • Reply 27 of 39
    MplsP said:
    Re: the battery issue; I've seen some reports that the iOS 11 update turned push notifications back on, so if you previously had them turned off, I'd check that.

Also, It's a bit of a pain, but doing a fresh install and not copying over your iCloud backup can sometimes fix issues. I view it as something akin to doing an OS X upgrade vs a clean install. 
    Good suggestion, but I think I will wait it out a bit more for maybe 11.1.3 or something. Just to be safe. I'll need to check that Mail issue that was mentioned as well. I have mine set to manual and not push.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    My iPad Pro is much more snappier now...
  • Reply 29 of 39
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    I’m up to speed with the upgrade on my 6S.
    It took it only about 20 minutes to install.
    i am puzzled by reports of it slowing down the 6S, not experienced that, if anything it feels slightly faster. On this occasion I’ve even put it to use straight after updating, not left it for a couple of hours or restarted it for a moment of “bedding down”.

I’m not sure about battery life; I tend to plug my iPhone in every day after about twelve hours of use.

• Reply 30 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    pakitt said:
    iOS 11 seems to be the worst release ever. Have iOS 7,8,9 and 10 been that bad
    On my 6 and on a friend’s 6s there are a plethora of screen freezes, bad or super slow UI renderings in common iOS apps like Messages, battery gets drained faster than usual also after days of keeping the phone plugged in all night connected to the network to let it finish all its background work.
    The camera app is very slow in updating preview of pictures taken. 

My 6 sometimes grinds up to a halt. Even though initial detailed testing on Ars said that it would not be much slower than iOS 10. 

And after *8* betas and one GM, already 2 big updates (almost 300MB!) in 2 weeks: what is going on at Apple??
    Wait, if you aren’t familar with previous versions then how can you determine this is the worst one ever?

Absolutey no problems on my devices here. What am I doing wrong??
    llama
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Crackling is to be expected. The iPhone 8 is Apple's first phone. Cut them some slack.  ;)
  • Reply 32 of 39
    waverboy said:
    So you’re experiencing this battery drain currently? And yet you don’t want to apply updates...hmm. 
    magman1979
  • Reply 33 of 39
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    Let me know when they get to 11.2
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Two weeks since the original release, and one week after the last minor update, Apple has released iOS 11.0.2 with rectification of crackling sounds during calls on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, and other assorted fixes.

Apple notes that in addition to the crackling sound fix, Apple has also addressed an issue that could cause some photos to be hidden, and another where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open.

Security fixes have been applied as well, but Apple has not as of yet detailed them.

The build number is 15A421. The previous build was 15A402 for the iPhone and iPad.

As with previous revisions, iOS 11 is compatible with the iPhone 5s and newer, the iPad 2 and up, the iPad Air and newer, and all iPad Pros. It is also compatible with the sixth-generation iPod touch.

The update on an iPhone SE is 276.9MB in size. On a first generation iPad Pro it is 297.1MB.
    With EVERY IOS version it's 'fix' time....I wonder ...does APPLE LEARN something in these last IOS versions.
    Its ALWAYS about the battery! Every IOS version Apple 'tries' to fix 'issues with the battery.
    And with every IOS 11.x update Geekbench 4 performance is dropping...why?
    Is this not tested with all these beta versions? For ex. in IOS 4,5,6 and 7 you can play Itunes music in Landscape mode....since IOS 8 this has been 'skipped'...why?
    It's SO practical when using the Iphone in the car...try it with IOS 11...it does NOT work.
    All these things and the battery issues keeps coming back, IF this happens with Tesla updates on the cars (also batteries)....after the update your battery gives 200 miles less...
    Just my view....with all these 'advancements' we are not 'improving' much...
  • Reply 35 of 39
    elfig2012 said:
    Two weeks since the original release, and one week after the last minor update, Apple has released iOS 11.0.2 with rectification of crackling sounds during calls on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, and other assorted fixes.

Apple notes that in addition to the crackling sound fix, Apple has also addressed an issue that could cause some photos to be hidden, and another where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open.

Security fixes have been applied as well, but Apple has not as of yet detailed them.

The build number is 15A421. The previous build was 15A402 for the iPhone and iPad.

As with previous revisions, iOS 11 is compatible with the iPhone 5s and newer, the iPad 2 and up, the iPad Air and newer, and all iPad Pros. It is also compatible with the sixth-generation iPod touch.

The update on an iPhone SE is 276.9MB in size. On a first generation iPad Pro it is 297.1MB.
    With EVERY IOS version it's 'fix' time....I wonder ...does APPLE LEARN something in these last IOS versions.
    Its ALWAYS about the battery! Every IOS version Apple 'tries' to fix 'issues with the battery.
    Is this not tested with all these beta versions? For ex. in IOS 4,5,6 and 7 you can play Itunes music in Landscape mode....since IOS 8 this has been 'skipped'...why?
    It's SO practical when using the Iphone in the car...try it with IOS 11...it does NOT work.
    All these things and the battery issues keeps coming back, IF this happens with Tesla updates on the cars (also batteries)....after the update your battery gives 200 miles less...
    You have a distorted view of reality. This release isn't even battery related, it's about audio quality. There is some whining about the battery, but so far it's not a known-issue and there is no fix for it. My own experience aligns with this as we don't have issues on the 5 devices in our household. Contrary to your claims the software is advancing -- it's getting better or the same usage time with smaller batteries. That's entirely do to advancing efficiency. Oops.

Funny you mention Telsa and milage range -- considering they are artificially restricting range on their less expensive models via software-based governors. Can you imagine if Apple did this with its cheaper phones, restricting the usage time? You'd be frothing at the mouth.
    GG1
  • Reply 36 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MplsP said:
    Have they fixed the bug that doesn't let you turn WiFi off from the control center?
    You should be specific about which device(s) are acting up. I have no such problem appearing on iPhone 6S, iPad Pro, or iPad Air 2.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    iOS 11.0.2 has not fixed the Battery Decay problem with my iPhone 6S+.  And I have turned off almost everything.  May the next update will correct the battery decay problem.  iOS 11 has been the most problematic update of all for me.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    propodpropod Posts: 67member
    TomE said:
    iOS 11.0.2 has not fixed the Battery Decay problem with my iPhone 6S+.  And I have turned off almost everything.  May the next update will correct the battery decay problem.  iOS 11 has been the most problematic update of all for me.
    I have very good/better battery since 11.01 on my 7 plus, it was bad in the beginning with 11. 

Unfortunately my iPad Air 2 is worse with 11.x. It’s choppy everywhere and slower app load times, wait or don’t upgrade to 11 if you have an air 2.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    elfig2012 said:

You have a distorted view of reality. This release isn't even battery related, it's about audio quality. There is some whining about the battery, but so far it's not a known-issue and there is no fix for it. My own experience aligns with this as we don't have issues on the 5 devices in our household. Contrary to your claims the software is advancing -- it's getting better or the same usage time with smaller batteries. That's entirely do to advancing efficiency. Oops.

Funny you mention Telsa and milage range -- considering they are artificially restricting range on their less expensive models via software-based governors. Can you imagine if Apple did this with its cheaper phones, restricting the usage time? You'd be frothing at the mouth.
    In all fairness, most OS updates include 'other bug fixes,' besides what they advertise, so you never totally know everything they're fixing /changing with them. I'm always puzzled by the range of reports with iOS updates - people with dramatically different experiences despite having seemingly identical devices. Either the devices have significant enough hardware variations that the iOS performance is widely discrepant between devices, or there's a software/settings issue. I go back to my advice earlier - copy down your settings and do a device wipe. Yes it's more work, but you can eliminate some of the variables, and I've had cases in the past where it made a significant improvement.