Apple continues weekly update cycle with iOS 11.0.2, containing iPhone 8 call crackling fi...

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
Two weeks since the original release, and one week after the last minor update, Apple has released iOS 11.0.2 with rectification of crackling sounds during calls on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, and other assorted fixes.

Apple notes that in addition to the crackling sound fix, Apple has also addressed an issue that could cause some photos to be hidden, and another where attachments in S/MIME encrypted emails would not open.

Security fixes have been applied as well, but Apple has not as of yet detailed them.

The build number is 15A421. The previous build was 15A402 for the iPhone and iPad.

As with previous revisions, iOS 11 is compatible with the iPhone 5s and newer, the iPad 2 and up, the iPad Air and newer, and all iPad Pros. It is also compatible with the sixth-generation iPod touch.

The update on an iPhone SE is 276.9MB in size. On a first generation iPad Pro it is 297.1MB.
elfig2012

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Sometimes these releases get confusing. So, I’ve got 11.1 beta. The beta release doesn’t mention these fixes, as far as I’ve seen. But this is out after 11.1 came out. So does the 11.1 beta contain these fixes, or not?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    chiachia Posts: 713member

277.1MB on an over the air update for an iPhone 6S.

I’ve been very happy with iOS11, I think it’s actually made my 6S a little faster.
    Installing 11.0.2 as I compose and post.
    E’Tallitnicsargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 39
    iOS 11 seems to be the worst release ever. Have iOS 7,8,9 and 10 been that bad? 
    On my 6 and on a friend’s 6s there are a plethora of screen freezes, bad or super slow UI renderings in common iOS apps like Messages, battery gets drained faster than usual also after days of keeping the phone plugged in all night connected to the network to let it finish all its background work.
    The camera app is very slow in updating preview of pictures taken. 

My 6 sometimes grinds up to a halt. Even though initial detailed testing on Ars said that it would not be much slower than iOS 10. 

And after *8* betas and one GM, already 2 big updates (almost 300MB!) in 2 weeks: what is going on at Apple??
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    melgross said:
    Sometimes these releases get confusing. So, I’ve got 11.1 beta. The beta release doesn’t mention these fixes, as far as I’ve seen. But this is out after 11.1 came out. So does the 11.1 beta contain these fixes, or not?
    No good way for us mortals to tell.
    chia
  • Reply 5 of 39
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    pakitt said:
    On my 6 and on a friend’s 6s there are a plethora of screen freezes, bad or super slow UI renderings in common iOS apps like Messages, battery gets drained faster than usual also after days of keeping the phone plugged in all night connected to the network to let it finish all its background work.

My 6 sometimes grinds up to a halt. Even though initial detailed testing on Ars said that it would not be much slower than iOS 10. 

And after *8* betas and one GM, already 2 big updates (almost 300MB!) in 2 weeks: what is going on at Apple??
    I noticed the draining after I updated to it on my 6S. Then a few days later I reverted back 10.3.3. I think I will wait for 11.1 or later to update to it then. Maybe...
  • Reply 6 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Have they fixed the bug that doesn't let you turn WiFi off from the control center?
    waverboy
  • Reply 7 of 39
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    pakitt said:

edredJonInAtlargonautchiaStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 39
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    MplsP said:
    Have they fixed the bug that doesn't let you turn WiFi off from the control center?
    Apple don't see it as a bug so don't hold your breath waiting for it to be 'fixed'.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    edrededred Posts: 57member
    MplsP said:
    It's not a bug, it's a feature  ;)
    magman1979johnnashargonautchia
  • Reply 10 of 39
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    hypoluxa said:
    pakitt said:

I noticed the draining after I updated to it on my 6S. Then a few days later I reverted back 10.3.3. I think I will wait for 11.1 or later to update to it then. Maybe...
    worst case scenario, do a full restore via iTunes.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    melgross said:

You're getting beta. Totally different.

Basically, how versioning works is this: let's suppose there is a software with 11.3.2 version. The "2" would be an update to fix bugs without affecting backward compatibility. The "3" is usually improvements on existing issues without affecting compatibility. The "11" is a major version that can break compatibility in favor of new features. It's like this: [major].[minor].[fixes]. That's usually for production releases.

When you get developer (beta) version, it follows a different version although they increment upon fixes and features.

edited October 2017 shark5150StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 39
    melgross said:
    That depends on how they work with their Beta vs Release pipelines, but I would say they probably should have that fix in that beta version too, at least for one thing - you do not know how that fix is gonna affect anything else, so you would want that in Beta too so that it gets checked by whole bunch of people too.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    melgross said:
    There will likely be a 11.1 beta 2 out soon (tomorrow?) that includes this.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    melgross said:
    No good way for us mortals to tell.
    It sucks being mortal.
    argonaut
  • Reply 15 of 39

MplsP said:
    Is not a bug. People have complained that they didn’t like their Apple accessories, such as the AirPods, being turned off when they turned Bluetooth off in settings. They wanted it to be off when sitting somewhere listening to music, but didn’t want the danger of having someone with a Bluetooth grabber get their info off the phone. Similar thing with WiFi. It’s a security thing.

so Apple now allows you to turn Bluetooth and WiFi off in the control panel for that purpose, and turn it off completely in Settings, if you want it all off.

now, some people are unhappy about that. There is no way out of this for Apple no matter which way they do it.
    StrangeDaysmagman1979
  • Reply 16 of 39

netrox said:
    melgross said:

You're getting beta. Totally different.

Basically, how versioning works is this: let's suppose there is a software with 11.3.2 version. The "2" would be an update to fix bugs without affecting backward compatibility. The "3" is usually improvements on existing issues without affecting compatibility. The "11" is a major version that can break compatibility in favor of new features. It's like this: [major].[minor].[fixes]. That's usually for production releases.

When you get developer (beta) version, it follows a different version although they increment upon fixes and features.

Yeah, we all know this. It still doesn’t answer the question.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    MplsP said:
    I noticed yesterday that when I "turned off" WiFi the OS reported ,"Disconnected from [nameofnetwork]". 

Ain't nothing about no promises to turn OFF WiFi in these parts, stranger...
  • Reply 18 of 39
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    How about fixing that god awful Messages scroll bug where the last message stays under the keyboard?
    h4y3s
  • Reply 19 of 39
    chia said:

277.1MB on an over the air update for an iPhone 6S.

I’ve been very happy with iOS11, I think it’s actually made my 6S a little faster.
    Installing 11.0.2 as I compose and post.
    Wow. My 6s plus is soooooo much slower it's a joke. No idea why, but horrible.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    MplsP said:
    I noticed yesterday that when I "turned off" WiFi the OS reported ,"Disconnected from [nameofnetwork]". 

Ain't nothing about no promises to turn OFF WiFi in these parts, stranger...
    If I turn off wifi in the Control Center it comes back on.  If I do it in Settings it stays off.   You must have gotten lucky if you did it from Control Center.