How to delete the apps left over after an iTunes 12.7 install to regain storage on macOS o...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

staigard said:
    I have an MBA with 120 GB. I have just followed the instructions above and then I emptied the trash (freed up about 1 GB). But now when I click on the apple button (top left) => About This Mac => Storage ... well I get the coloured line showing what is taking up memory, when I hold the curser over the 5th colour, it says "12.27 GB ... iOS Files". Could anybody explain why I still have 12.27 GB of iOS Files ?
    Probably iOS device backup files.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    JanNL said:
    You can still backup and restore from iTunes, but it sounds like your IT people are preventing that. That’s not iTunes’ fault. 
    Ah :# , do I have a problem with a full restore now I deleted all apps (was eager to reclaim 27GB...)? Or are the backups in iTunes from iPhone/iPad still intact/full?
    Otherwise will put them back in an instant from backup.
    The backups are still intact. They don't live in the apps folder.
    Thanks Mike.
    But when restoring the full backup to a new iPhone for example, iTunes doesn't pull all the apps from the (emptied) apps folder? Even the apps itself are in the (encoded) backup? Much appreciated!
  • Reply 23 of 36
    JanNL said:
    JanNL said:
    You can still backup and restore from iTunes, but it sounds like your IT people are preventing that. That’s not iTunes’ fault. 
    Ah :# , do I have a problem with a full restore now I deleted all apps (was eager to reclaim 27GB...)? Or are the backups in iTunes from iPhone/iPad still intact/full?
    Otherwise will put them back in an instant from backup.
    The backups are still intact. They don't live in the apps folder.
    Thanks Mike.
    But when restoring the full backup to a new iPhone for example, iTunes doesn't pull all the apps from the (emptied) apps folder? Even the apps itself are in the (encoded) backup? Much appreciated!
    It does not.
    JanNL
  • Reply 24 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    staigard said:
    I have an MBA with 120 GB. I have just followed the instructions above and then I emptied the trash (freed up about 1 GB). But now when I click on the apple button (top left) => About This Mac => Storage ... well I get the coloured line showing what is taking up memory, when I hold the curser over the 5th colour, it says "12.27 GB ... iOS Files". Could anybody explain why I still have 12.27 GB of iOS Files ?
    If you click the Manage button it will open a window will you can see the size of the folders and files it's labeling as "iOS Files" and offer buttons for going to it in Finder and deleting them when you mouse over them. There are other helpful options for cleaning up your storage.

PS: One thing I use it for is to find an old attachment I've sent via the iMessage as Messages app's search option is extremely poor. if anyone knows of a 3rd-party app that is better for searching Messages on the Mac I'd love to know about it.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Mike Wuerthele, one of your educational how-to articles on localized iOS backups, the new Storage Management option in System Information, and the benefits of Mac OS X Server are articles I'd like to read on AI.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 26 of 36
    It may just be me, but when I create backups of my iPhone and iPad through iTunes12.7 the speed to back up and the size of the file doesn’t seem to have been altered by the lack of apps. Is this because apps were already devolved out of iTunes backups, or perhaps it’s still include for now?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    CreepsUI said:
    It may just be me, but when I create backups of my iPhone and iPad through iTunes12.7 the speed to back up and the size of the file doesn’t seem to have been altered by the lack of apps. Is this because apps were already devolved out of iTunes backups, or perhaps it’s still include for now?
    As stated in the thread, the backups include your apps and other data.
    JanNL
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Soli said:
    Mike Wuerthele, one of your educational how-to articles on how localized iOS backups, the new Storage Management option in System Information, and the benefits of Mac OS X Server are articles I'd like to read on AI.
    macOS Server is already on the list.

I'll toss the rest on the pile.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Soli said:
    CreepsUI said:
    Soli, we have to be strict about questions ;)
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Soli said:
    CreepsUI said:
    Why though? What’s the point of backing them up still when they’re not a part of iTunes?
  • Reply 31 of 36
    CreepsUI said:
    Soli said:
    CreepsUI said:
    Why though? What’s the point of backing them up still when they’re not a part of iTunes?
    I don't understand your questions. The backup and restore services are clearly part of iTunes or you wouldn't be able to backup or restore via iTunes.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    I did this before this TID popped up. I did have issues syncing at first. It complained about my iBooks and TV app being 'missing'.  After that, my books and movies had to be reapplied to the phone.  It was weird.  I put the deleted applications back and now it doesn't complain. Anyone have any ideas as to why that might be so?  
  • Reply 33 of 36
    I did this before this TID popped up. I did have issues syncing at first. It complained about my iBooks and TV app being 'missing'.  After that, my books and movies had to be reapplied to the phone.  It was weird.  I put the deleted applications back and now it doesn't complain. Anyone have any ideas as to why that might be so?  
    Did what? Your ebooks aren't stored in the same place as your iOS apps, and have nothing to do with this directory. iBooks are in the Library folder, not in the user applications folder.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 34 of 36
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Soli said:
    2) A bit of a segue from the article, but my issue with this change to iTunes is that Apple hasn't updated their webpages for iOS apps to support this change. Every time I find an iOS app that I want in Safari on my Mac—which my preferred way to search for apps—it was launching iTunes can't load the iOS App Store which would then launch the website again which at first did this repeatedly. Now they seem to have fixed this but their website still has "View in iTunes" links, which will cause this attention to detail(?) error.
    It's all very inconvenient for me since I now have to send myself the link on iMessage, save in Reader, or keep Safari open so I can open Safari on my iPhone to pull it up via iCloud's Handoff feature. I don't install many new apps these days but this change will likely make me buy even fewer apps.
    You might want to have a look at :
    NoMoreiTunes Safari Extension

I've been using it for years to prevent iTunes Preview and App Store pages in Safari from launching iTunes. Works as 
    advertised.
    Soli
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Did what? Your ebooks aren't stored in the same place as your iOS apps, and have nothing to do with this directory. iBooks are in the Library folder, not in the user applications folder.
    And consequently aren’t backed up by Time Machine. I maintain my position of FUCK YOU, APPLE, for making that change. Not only did I lose my library once (and ONLY once) after that change had been made, iBooks, FOUR YEARS (holy shit, has it really only been four years since it was announced? I’m going to have to kill myself) after its introduction on OS X still doesn’t have the ability to edit even just the metadata of your ePub files that iTunes let you edit. I’ve never found a cleaner or simpler metadata editor for ePub files than what iTunes used to be able to do, and since Apple made the shift away from storage in iTunes I haven’t used iBooks at all. I don’t trust that garbage anymore.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 36 of 36
    And consequently aren’t backed up by Time Machine. I maintain my position of FUCK YOU, APPLE, for making that change. Not only did I lose my library once (and ONLY once) after that change had been made, iBooks, FOUR YEARS (holy shit, has it really only been four years since it was announced? I’m going to have to kill myself) after its introduction on OS X still doesn’t have the ability to edit even just the metadata of your ePub files that iTunes let you edit. I’ve never found a cleaner or simpler metadata editor for ePub files than what iTunes used to be able to do, and since Apple made the shift away from storage in iTunes I haven’t used iBooks at all. I don’t trust that garbage anymore.
    If you're still having issues backing up iBooks (mind seem to sync to iCloud so I haven't looked into this particular issue) and you're afraid it might happen again, you can alway create a Folder action that will copy out new or modified books to another folder, like ~/Documents/Books/ so that they will be backed up by Time Machine.