Samsung looks to reinvent Apple's Genius Bar with WeWork 'care centers'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung is partnering with shared workplace startup WeWork to roll out a string of "care centers" at which customers can receive help with their Samsung device while taking care of business, an idea that aims to one-up Apple's Genius Bar.

Source: Alex Welsh for blink.la via Fast Company

Mick McConnell, VP of design at Samsung Electronics America, dreamed up the pilot program after a visit to Apple's Genius Bar, reports Fast Company. The appointment started an hour and a half later than it was supposed to, an issue sometimes common at highly trafficked metropolitan Apple retail locations.

Instead of waiting in an Apple store, milling around product shelves or browsing the web on a Mac, Samsung's plan is to furnish users with a workspace complete with a large black steel and glass box outfitted with computer workstations, coffee and fruit-infused water. Set to open this month at WeWork locations in Detroit, Miami, and New York, the dedicated Samsung care center areas also feature phone booths with Samsung video conferencing systems.

"Service is a hassle. I know I'm going to have to take time out of my day to do it," McConnell said. "The concept was, if I take time out of my day, at least I can sit in a conference room, make phone calls, and do work, as opposed to sitting in a busy room with a bunch of angry people."

Though Samsung is taking up a chunk of those particular WeWorks, the goal is not to create a separate entity inaccessible by WeWork customers. Instead, the company wants to welcome subscribers (WeWork sells space on a monthly basis) into the Samsung fold, hopefully garnering new customers by doing so.

Samsung will also host a series of after-hours talks at the WeWork spaces, eerily similar to Today at Apple learning sessions.

The project has a ways to go before it is able to compete with Apple's Genius Bar, or Genius Grove, depending on the store you frequent, as Samsung care center customers are limited to "tier 1" support. That means customers can only receive technical help on owned products and mail-out repairs. Apple currently offers "tier 2" support, which covers screen replacements and other on-site jobs that require specialized personnel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Shamsung...Leading the way in innovation. (again)
    calijeffharrisunphocuswatto_cobrajony0doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Sure, why don't they call it the "We smart" bar or the "Just Like Apple" bar or the "Copycat Lounge." Can't wait until Apple can cut Samsung out entirely as a supplier.

RobPalmer9racerhomiecalipropodSpamSandwichjeffharrisargonautunphocus80s_Apple_Guywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Terrible name, but that's goes without saying for a Samsung linked company.
    jeffharrisanton zuykovunphocuswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote: "Service is a hassle. I know I'm going to have to take time out of my day to do it," McConnell said.

Yeh man, that's partly why Apple is so successful... 'servicing' is required so infrequently, time-outs needn't be factored into schedules!

PS : I started with a Mac in 1992 for magazine publishing and currently use an iMac, iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch 3... and have never needed a single Apple item to be 'serviced' in 25 years.
    racerhomiecalijeffharrisjbdragonchristopher126argonautunphocuswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 31

"reinvent"  :D

watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 31
    More like "renamed" the Genius Bar.
    horvaticwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Samsung wants us to do our business with other people watching?? Sick!
    That commode is too high for me anyway.
    unphocuswatto_cobramacky the macky
  • Reply 8 of 31
    That picture looks like something out of a bad sci-fi prediction of the future.  What part of that is appealing?
    singularityMacsplosionjeffharrishorvaticjbdragonargonautunphocuswatto_cobrajony0doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 31
    GilmoreActualGilmoreActual Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    nothing about this makes much sense. let’s start with the fact that it was “inspired” by a Samsung VP’s Genius Bar appointment...let that sink in. now, what devices are eligible? and since it is only Tier 1, what can you do for me in person that you can’t do for me over-the-phone or by mail? how many people at a time in the fish tank? what about privacy?
    calihorvaticjbdragonwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    They already have knockoff Apple Stores where you can talk to a Samsung Smarty Pants.

jbdragonargonautwatto_cobrajony0doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 31
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    What was Mr. Mick McConnell, VP of design at Samsung Electronics America, doing in an Apple Store in the first place? Not a strong anecdote to introduce a new initiative...
    edited October 2017 calirandominternetpersonGG1SpamSandwichjeffharrisunphocuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So … there is someone in the box who is helping you with your Samsung problem?

randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Also doubles as a blast chamber…
    wlymcincyteeunphocuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Nothing wrong with them being "inspired" by a good thing that someone else is doing, but in any way associating it with "care center" is a bit unfortunate…

To me calling it a care center sounds like they're patronising their customers, basically calling them a bit stupid and in need of "care"; that they need help to understand the at no fault oh so amazing Samsung products.

Or, perhaps that's just me not being a native english speaker and/or in a bad mood? :smile: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Mr. Mick McConnell, VP of design at Samsung Electronics America will be creating Samsung Products ‘Care centers’. :.)

Care Center, staffed by a herd of clueless cloned idiot savants named Bixby./s Their single focus, beyond Tier 1 fluff, to incessantly bemoan Apple products. But, in fact, many of the Bixby bots will be secretly directing the disenchanted Samsung masses to the nearest Apple Store for high quality products and competent trained staff. 

Eight Month Update: Mr. Mick McConnell, former VP of design at Samsung Electronics America who had just closed the last eight failed Samsung Product ‘care centers’ was recently seen sadly loitering outside the Visitor Center at Apple Park, muttering to himself. 
    edited October 2017 calijeffharriswatto_cobramacky the macky
  • Reply 16 of 31
    ariearie Posts: 27member
    When I first read *care center * I thought they meant a private room where we could change our babies’ diapers and feed them quietly while visiting the store...now this could be a good idea (if it doesn’t already exist), no?
    randominternetpersonunphocuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    That picture looks like something out of a bad sci-fi prediction of the future.  What part of that is appealing?
    My first impression was that of a dentist or a public restroom. Very odd. What’s with the blue or UV-light? :)
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Instead of waiting in an Apple store, milling around product shelves or browsing the web on a Mac, Samsung's plan is to furnish users with a workspace complete with a large black steel and glass box outfitted with computer workstations, coffee and fruit-infused water.

Fruit-infused water?
    Oh yes, add a few drops of fruit juice to some tap water and up the price by a few thousand percent.

Aren't forever being told that it is only Apple buyers that are easily parted from their money.

The issue here IMHO is will this succed more than the Microsoft Retail effort (version 3 if my memory serves me well)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31
    They're going to discover that it's not the easiest thing in the world to do. If it was, they would have already done it. Years ago.
    macxpresshorvaticwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 31
    That room looks very ergonomic.