Tesla unveils new Semi with a 500 mile range, Roadster that can hit 250 miles per hour

Comments

• Reply 21 of 140
    lukei said:
    flydog said:
    How is this article relevant to Apple products?
    Because Elon Musk will Be Apple CEO after they buy his businesses?
    Never happen. Musk previously said his plan was to step down from Tesla as CEO once their Model 3 was shipping in good numbers and that SpaceX and Mars colonization would be his focus for the rest of his life.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 22 of 140
    The Roadster price starts at $200,000...
    Just confirms my opinion that Tesla builds expensive things much like Apple really.
    The Model 3 is supposed to start at $35K yet it seems that average configurations are $40K+.
    A Used Model X where I live starts at £80,000 and up. ($103K)

I can afford most Apple stuff but there is no way that I can afford a Tesla (even a £35K Model 3)

However and IMHO Apple should have bought Tesla 2-3 years ago when the price was right if Apple were ever truly serious about cars.

radarthekatboxcatcherviclauyyclostkiwi
  • Reply 23 of 140
    d_2 said:
    I truly weep for the generations to come that will have no idea what driving an automobile with a real, gasoline engine feels like... and somehow this is progress :/
    You're obviously too young to remember when everyone travelled by steam train! We used to stop on a railway bridge here in the UK with my parents when we were young to see the local express zooming underneath with the steam billowing out and the driver always waved to us. Progress (or what is called progress) comes in many forms.
    Solimattinozmuthuk_vanalingamrandominternetpersonpscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 140
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Dearest Elon,

I personally tire of your narcissism, but don't let me stand in the way of all those consumers, media, and investors that love you unconditionally, no matter the burn rate and the failed promises.

I forgot to mention that those tax credits that Tesla has been living on, here and worldwide, are drying up, and early evidence is that fewer or no tax credits substantially affects sales.

edited November 2017 williamlondonbrucemc
  • Reply 25 of 140
    The Roadster price starts at $200,000...
    Just confirms my opinion that Tesla builds expensive things much like Apple really.
    The Model 3 is supposed to start at $35K yet it seems that average configurations are $40K+.
    A Used Model X where I live starts at £80,000 and up. ($103K)

I can afford most Apple stuff but there is no way that I can afford a Tesla (even a £35K Model 3)

However and IMHO Apple should have bought Tesla 2-3 years ago when the price was right if Apple were ever truly serious about cars.

Tesla isn't, and won't likely, ever make any money in automobile production, and as I noted above, tax credits are decreasing/ending worldwide for EV's, and that is having an adverse effect on sales, especially the Tesla S and X. More to the point, gas is cheap, and IC engined cars still sell in the 10's of millions with many EV competitors coming that will have the effect of driving down prices.

I am glad that Apple did not have any interest in purchase of Tesla; it's flailing.
    radarthekatrogifan_new
  • Reply 26 of 140
    The truck does't leave much room for hitch hikers.
    williamlondonrogifan_new
  • Reply 27 of 140
  • Reply 28 of 140
    ChrisMarshall3DChrisMarshall3D Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    What about a two seater affordable, zero emmisions car for inner city use?! 0 - 60 in 1.x seconds!!?? So what!!
    williamlondonbikertwin
  • Reply 29 of 140
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    lukei said:
    flydog said:
    How is this article relevant to Apple products?
    Because Elon Musk will Be Apple CEO after they buy his businesses?
    Never happen. Musk previously said his plan was to step down from Tesla as CEO once their Model 3 was shipping in good numbers and that SpaceX and Mars colonization would be his focus for the rest of his life.
    He’s a Control freak. He won’t be stepping down anytime soon. 
    tmay
  • Reply 30 of 140
    foggyhill said:
    Who the fuck cares. The way he's going he's to be bankrupt within 3 years.

Lotsa' people the fuck cares...  Tesla bought the old NUMI plant -- it's prime real estate for manufacturing or server farms about 30 miles from Apple Park.
    muthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 140
    d_2 said:
    I truly weep for the generations to come that will have no idea what driving an automobile with a real, gasoline engine feels like... and somehow this is progress :/
    Does it have a Bermuda Bell and a Brodie Knob?

edited November 2017 muthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwichpscooter63
  • Reply 32 of 140
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Soli said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Interesting tech though I’m more excited about his roofing tiles. 

T. Boone Pickens had targeted semi’s for natural gas as part of his emission reduction plans when he was leaning big into wind farms but electric coupled to renewable generation for semi’s would be even better. 
    If EV semis get common enough and solar panels get cheap enough, we could see solar panels on the top of trailers. I think that's more than most homes have. I doubt that by today's standards that would result in a net gain whilst driving at 55mph*, but it would surely allow you to drive longer and even charge whilst parked if you end up sleeping during the day.

* Trucking companies typically make the max by adding governors, which could be easily replicated with SW if that's the ideal speed, which it might not be since the remarkably low drag coefficient could allow that to be raised a bit.
    Companies are now selling large sheet solar panels designed to replace roofs on industrail buildings entirely. Same could be used to replace flat sheet metal roof of a trailer to generate extra free distance. Although That means you'd need a battery pack in the trailer to store power when not connected to the prime.
  • Reply 33 of 140
    tmay said:
    I forgot to mention that those tax credits that Tesla has been living on, here and worldwide, are drying up, and early evidence is that fewer or no tax credits substantially affects sales.

The whole point of the tax credits is to incentivize early sales, so that the technology could be improved until it’s price-competitive with gasoline-powered vehicles.

We are rapidly approaching that point.
    RonnnieOlostkiwi
  • Reply 34 of 140
    Soli said:
    timmillea said:
    The future profit is in eliminating the need to travel or transport. Testorone-driven marketing of this kind looks very last century in retrospect.
    Let us know what you can produce a teleporter that will be in every location so that nothing ever needs to be transported. Until then, we're still going to have about 80% of all cargo moved by trucks,
    While we’ll always need to move things like food to distant markets, the future is density instead of sprawl in our cities.

So, per capita, we’ll need to move stuff around less, as people are much closer together. With self-driving cars, there’s no need for performance, as you don’t want your car slinging you around the cabin while you’re doing work or socializing. And cities are pushing for fewer (or no) cars in their densest centers; instead, walking, biking, & transit are the future there.

So we’re in a transition period, where people still buy & own cars individually, so you need performance to market them. But that will change.
  • Reply 35 of 140
    d_2 said:
    Really??? I'll be more than glad to be rid of the vrum-vrum psyche that comes with most of male drivers...
    bikertwinwilliamlondonjroymuthuk_vanalingammr o
  • Reply 36 of 140
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Now if Tesla can just make vehicles that aren't pieces of shit. 
    tmay
  • Reply 37 of 140
    Now is only Tesla can fix its production issues and start delivering the cars people ordered last year! It's one thing to build these fast cars,but how about delivering some.
  • Reply 38 of 140
    d_2 said:
    This is phenomenal progress in all its glory. Electric beats gasoline in every category from simplicity to safety to performance to autonomy. The oil industry went through great lengths to silence electric, until Musk slapped that industry across the face.
    propodraoulduke42pscooter63lostkiwigatorguymr o
  • Reply 39 of 140
    bikertwin said:
    tmay said:

The whole point of the tax credits is to incentivize early sales, so that the technology could be improved until it’s price-competitive with gasoline-powered vehicles.

We are rapidly approaching that point.
    I agree.

I'm stating that Tesla is seeing reduced sales when those incentives are removed. See Norway, Hong Kong, and the EU in general.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 40 of 140
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    d_2 said:
    I bet a few horse and buggy drivers in Germany said the same thing to Karl Benz in 1888!  ;)
    muthuk_vanalingamraoulduke42