YouTube hammers out battery drain problem with iPhone app in latest update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    linkman said:
    I don't know why the use of apps like this is so pervasive. There are very few features in these that can't be done using a web browser. Do I need apps for CNN, Google search, AppleInsider, Best Buy, McDonald's, Exxon-Mobil, AT&T, Discovery Channel, etc.? No I don't.
    Well you are lumping The Google app in with a bunch of junk apps.  There are a couple of good reasons to run suchbapps though.  First a native app can be more power efficient.   You dont have the interpretation layer or the HTML layer to slow things down and burn power.  

The second issue is UI stability.   Some web portals seem to change their UI constantly IMDb being an example here.   An app can give you a more stable interface.   Also for things like banking the interface can be more minimalist.   In a nut shell it is often faster and less confusing to use an app. 

Third you may be using the web browser for somthing else in such a way that having an app in background is better.  Or a splut screen presentation might make sense.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    Why does YouTube need to run in the background? Since this is Google I have to wonder if they work bugs into their apps when new iPhones are released just so it looks like Apple has made a mistake so they can get high-end customers to consider Android-based devices.
    The only real problem here is people believing this problem is unusual.     There have been probably hundreds of times ive solved problems on my iPhone simply by exiting all app.  I do all apps because determing the culprite is difficult at times plus it can purge libraries for you.  

There is no need to damn google here as many apps have suffered similar issues in the past.   Beyond that minimizing your power profile is not a trivial programmming skill. 
    If you took a couple minutes to go into Settings you can alter how your apps work so you can have better battery life without having to waste time with your shotgun method. Whenever I install a new app it's the first thing I set and verify.

"Work smarter, not harder." — Scrooge McDuck
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 23 of 45

seanie248 said:
    but what about all those articles stating that you don't need to force close apps? background apps don't use the battery when closed.... yeah right !!! if you still think that, then spend an hour with me and i'll prove you wrong.
    When i see such articles i immediately put the author on my list of internet idiots.  The thing is you dont need to firce close if everything is working correctly.   The problem is this, if things are working incorrrectly there is often no way to know which app is screwing the system.  It is here when exiting all apps makes sense.  

For me the evidence is pretty stark as bad behavior shows up real fast on an older cell phone.  If your phone becomes sluggish and heats iup and the problem goes away after exiting back ground apps then one or more of those apps had a problem.    By the way if you know a specific app is causing a problem that is great as you have one app to exit but it isnt often eassy to determing the bad app.  
  • Reply 24 of 45
    wizard69 said:
    seanie248 said:
    but what about all those articles stating that you don't need to force close apps? background apps don't use the battery when closed.... yeah right !!! if you still think that, then spend an hour with me and i'll prove you wrong.
    When i see such articles i immediately put the author on my list of internet idiots.  The thing is you dont need to firce close if everything is working correctly.   The problem is this, if things are working incorrrectly there is often no way to know which app is screwing the system.  It is here when exiting all apps makes sense.  

For me the evidence is pretty stark as bad behavior shows up real fast on an older cell phone.  If your phone becomes sluggish and heats iup and the problem goes away after exiting back ground apps then one or more of those apps had a problem.    By the way if you know a specific app is causing a problem that is great as you have one app to exit but it isnt often eassy to determing the bad app.  
    It's pretty easy to figure out because iOS records which apps use the most battery life (and data).
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDaysihatescreennameswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I have the YouTube app -- but I don't see any update for it.  The most recent update I see is dated 11/15/17,
  • Reply 26 of 45

Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Adding to @ihatescreennames' comment, show me one article that says apps running in the background don't use the battery. You can't because it's a ridiculous notion. If there's a process running in the background it's using the battery. To reiterate the point @ihatescreennames made, you use more battery life and waste more time by force closing every app that happens to be sitting in your most recent app list if it can't launch from a hibernation state, which means it has to use a lot more power to launch again.
    That is only true if everything is running properly.   Once you have an app hung up, draining your battery rapidly, you really cant wait you need to exit immediately as the energy required to reload an app is trvial.    This shoild be rather obvious to anybody with a little Physics education, you can't heat up an iPhone without the use of power.    It is possible for a run away app to burn more power, in a minute or two,  than the energy required to load a dozen apps.   Think about this a bit, how often does loading an app lead to a hot iPhone?   

In the case of the Youtube app draining 20% of a battery in a short period of time isnt impossible at all.  Ive seen the same thing happen in other app run away situations.  The iPhone heating up when it should not is an obvious indication of an issue with an app.  
  • Reply 27 of 45
    wizard69 said:

Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Adding to @ihatescreennames' comment, show me one article that says apps running in the background don't use the battery. You can't because it's a ridiculous notion. If there's a process running in the background it's using the battery. To reiterate the point @ihatescreennames made, you use more battery life and waste more time by force closing every app that happens to be sitting in your most recent app list if it can't launch from a hibernation state, which means it has to use a lot more power to launch again.
    That is only true if everything is running properly.   Once you have an app hung up, draining your battery rapidly, you really cant wait you need to exit immediately as the energy required to reload an app is trvial.    This shoild be rather obvious to anybody with a little Physics education, you can't heat up an iPhone without the use of power.    It is possible for a run away app to burn more power, in a minute or two,  than the energy required to load a dozen apps.   Think about this a bit, how often does loading an app lead to a hot iPhone?   

In the case of the Youtube app draining 20% of a battery in a short period of time isnt impossible at all.  Ive seen the same thing happen in other app run away situations.  The iPhone heating up when it should not is an obvious indication of an issue with an app.  
    None of that has a single thing to do with what is being discussed and you've ignored every comment about how to be smart about your device's battery use and simple troubleshooting.

But, hey, if you think you're being smart by removing the Calculator app from FAS that you last used months ago and after you've had a dozen device power cycles due to iOS updates, then by all means do what you think you have to do.
    StrangeDaysihatescreennames
  • Reply 28 of 45
    seanie248 said:
    As has been made clear from the beginning of multitasking on iOS, there are a subset of apps that are allowed background processes, and media players are one of them. 

To extrapolate that to “You should force quit all your apps all the time!” is simply foolish and ignoring the actual facts stated by Apple multiple times. It’s like shutting off your car at every stop sign and then restarting it to move again — this is counter productive and wastes more energy than it saves. Same thing with with iOS apps as starting an app from scratch uses more power than resume a suspended app. These are facts in iOS. 
    Soliihatescreennamesrandominternetperson
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Oh,  I can - here are just 2 from this site :
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/10/21/stop-force-closing-apps-on-your-iphone-its-not-making-it-run-faster-or-last-longer
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/07/28/video-stop-force-closing-all-apps-on-your-iphone-its-a-waste-of-time

More power to launch? are you kidding? Its not a kettle boiling or a car starting. I can leave my phone for an hour or 2 and some apps that are doing nothing will show as using the battery in the background and my battery life will drain. If i close them after using them, my phone lasts up to 2 days. You can't say I am wrong, because I know what i see with my own eyes. Just because it doesn't happen with your use case , it doesn't mean it never happens to anyone. 

Simple fact is that there are badly written apps that don't hibernate properly, Facebook App had the issue previously also. 
    I used to have an issue with Youtube, if i played something in the app then connected to BT in the car, no audio would stream from any other app until I Force Closed Youtube, even though nothing was playing in it.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    More power to launch? are you kidding? Its not a kettle boiling or a car starting. I can leave my phone for an hour or 2 and some apps that are doing nothing will show as using the battery in the background and my battery life will drain. If i close them after using them, my phone lasts up to 2 days. You can't say I am wrong, because I know what i see with my own eyes. Just because it doesn't happen with your use case , it doesn't mean it never happens to anyone. 
    Before you were just wrong about one thing and now you're even more wrong. No one is expecting you to understand how NAND or saved states work on an iPhone, to but to claim that "apps that are doing nothing" are "using the battery in the background and my battery life will drain" without a basic compression that they must be doing something for them to be draining the battery is unfathomable to me.

Despite all this conservation you've made zero comments about any app settings, actual timeframes, or percentage of battery usage. All you've done is state how it makes it you feel to remove all previous used apps from FAS regardless of whether they're running, without any notion of adjusting their settings, and without a single mention of which apps could be problematic. You haven't even addressed that after a restart all apps you've previously used are still in FAS in the order they were last used, and yet you somehow think they all must be running if they're in there. But suit yourself, it's not like logic and reason has ever been a cure for OCD.
    edited November 2017 ihatescreennames
  • Reply 31 of 45
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    wizard69 said:
    linkman said:
    I don't know why the use of apps like this is so pervasive. There are very few features in these that can't be done using a web browser. Do I need apps for CNN, Google search, AppleInsider, Best Buy, McDonald's, Exxon-Mobil, AT&T, Discovery Channel, etc.? No I don't.
    Well you are lumping The Google app in with a bunch of junk apps.  There are a couple of good reasons to run suchbapps though.  First a native app can be more power efficient.   You dont have the interpretation layer or the HTML layer to slow things down and burn power.  

The second issue is UI stability.   Some web portals seem to change their UI constantly IMDb being an example here.   An app can give you a more stable interface.   Also for things like banking the interface can be more minimalist.   In a nut shell it is often faster and less confusing to use an app. 

Third you may be using the web browser for somthing else in such a way that having an app in background is better.  Or a splut screen presentation might make sense.
    Conversely, there are a lot of apps that simply communicate with a server using a layer of HTML and add a few minor features that only an app can do. Banking apps very frequently do this. But if you want to use that  bank's stuff online using mobile you either have to run it in full desktop browser mode or use their app -- they lock out use of mobile browsers.

An app can be more power efficient -- but soooo many of them are crap and energy efficiency is next to last on their coding/testing.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Before you were just wrong about one thing and now you're even more wrong. No one is expecting you to understand how NAND or saved states work on an iPhone, to but to claim that "apps that are doing nothing" are "using the battery in the background and my battery life will drain" without a basic compression that they must be doing something for them to be draining the battery is unfathomable to me.

Despite all this conservation you've made zero comments about any app settings, actual timeframes, or percentage of battery usage. All you've done is state how it makes it you feel to remove all previous used apps from FAS regardless of whether they're running, without any notion of adjusting their settings, and without a single mention of which apps could be problematic. You haven't even addressed that after a restart all apps you've previously used are still in FAS in the order they were last used, and yet you somehow think they all must be running if they're in there. But suit yourself, it's not like logic and reason has ever been a cure for OCD.
    Interesting arguments from both sides. One key question which has not been asked in this thread (but was pointed out by someone in similar thread in the past) is - What happened to "It just works"? Now, it has to be changed to "It just works, as long as you know how system is working". Your arguments fall on the second category while his arguments fall under the first category. As long as we understand these practical challenges with "It just works" when the reality is not as straightforward, we can get an idea of why people do what they do.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sflocal said:
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    If you're an AT&T customer then you can see your data usage and pay your bill through the app. I do this my carrier and it's considerably more convenient than having to pull up a website and login. I'm not even sure it would be formatted or as fast as the native app.

The McDonald's app is pretty great and you definitely can't do it through the web browser. They have deals/coupons in the app, and let you order and pay with Apple Pay before you even get to the store which can be a time saver.

I don't agree.  The primary reason for these so-called "apps" is control.  By making it an app, they control what you can and can't see within the app.  A native app (as apposed to HTML5) bypasses ad-blockers installed for iOS Safari.  The explosion of apps that are nothing more than glorified news-feeds are a testament to marketing.  

Your deals/coupons that you say can only be done in the app can easily be done via a regular web browser.  Society has dumbed-down the internet to a series of "apps" as opposed to web pages.  Many apps just wrap HTML from a (guess...) website and re-package it into an app.  

There are definite reasons to build a native app.  A large percentage of them have zero reason to be a native app.  I for one get really tired of having to enter my username/password on an app, whereas in Safari it remembers my credentials.  I find myself having to view my credientials in the Settings app so I can enter it into the app.  Frustrating at times.

Look at the AI app.  The main app is native, but the forums/comments is still processed in Safari.  While I have the AI app, I usually end up viewing it in Safari on my iPhone.
    There are some apps that dont need to be native, but most do. The apps should remember your login ( as it happens AI kicks me out of the website every so often anyway).

An app is generally a quicker and neater way of encapsulating the information that you need. 
  • Reply 34 of 45

wizard69 said:
    Soli said:
    Why does YouTube need to run in the background? Since this is Google I have to wonder if they work bugs into their apps when new iPhones are released just so it looks like Apple has made a mistake so they can get high-end customers to consider Android-based devices.
    The only real problem here is people believing this problem is unusual.     There have been probably hundreds of times ive solved problems on my iPhone simply by exiting all app.  I do all apps because determing the culprite is difficult at times plus it can purge libraries for you.  

There is no need to damn google here as many apps have suffered similar issues in the past.   Beyond that minimizing your power profile is not a trivial programmming skill. 
    Its relatively easy to fix in fact, the app shouldnt be running in the backgound at all. There are notifications for this. 
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Google have a problem with their staff. They tend to hire generalists and dont really test for domain knowledge. Their testers dont really understand iOS ( that said Apple should have caught this). They tend to rewrite stuff they dont like, and probably arent using swift here. 

All of this produces good code for backends and searches, but not so much for client facing applications. 
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:

What happened to "It just works"? Now, it has to be changed to "It just works, as long as you know how system is working".
    A marketing slogan has never been a statement of fact or the status quo. iOS-based devices "just work" much better than macOS-based devices ever did and have considerably fewer ways of resolving issues than we've seen on a Mac when that campaign started. It's not fair to suggest that code can flawed. It's the reason why we have all these secondary and tertiary point updates in the first place.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:

who said I close all apps??? You are the one making assumptions. Wrongly. Just to keep you happy:

1. I know exactly what apps drain battery on my phone. Youtube was one of them and I will wait and see if this update fixes it.
    2. Don't need to give exact stats, no-one asked for them. Calculating the times to make percentages isn't needed. App in BG, battery drains. App Force Quit; battery lasts. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out ( or a NAND scientist if that makes you happy) Logic.
    3. yes , i agree, apps are doing something in the BG, but some should be doing next to nothing. Youtube that isn't playing any video should not consume 70% of the battery in 2 hours, ESPECIALLY since I have set it to not be allowed to use BG activity.
    4. why do you assume my apps are running after a restart? I close ALL of them all the time, sure, as you have kindly informed me. ASS-U-ME ?? /s
    5. You have no idea of my level of expertise, hardware or programming, so don't assume.
    6. Dont have OCD. Just know how to use tech and how to work out what works and what doesnt.

Why are you having a hard time comprehending that on MY phone, some apps need to be force closed, otherwise they chew through the battery. 
    If it doesnt happen for you, then Excellent. Delighted for you ! Wish it was me.
    Cant tell me I am wrong, as I know what i see.

• Reply 38 of 45
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:

who said I close all apps??? You are the one making assumptions. Wrongly. Just to keep you happy:
    You wrote, "If i close them after using them, my phone lasts up to 2 days."

Since only "them" apps you've used show up in FAS then you have to be using all apps from FAS, according to your own statements.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    If you're an AT&T customer then you can see your data usage and pay your bill through the app. I do this my carrier and it's considerably more convenient than having to pull up a website and login. I'm not even sure it would be formatted or as fast as the native app.

The McDonald's app is pretty great and you definitely can't do it through the web browser. They have deals/coupons in the app, and let you order and pay with Apple Pay before you even get to the store which can be a time saver.

Anecdote Warning: The morning of Thanksgiving the kitchen was busy with preparing an afternoon meal for 20 people so I said I would run to McDonald's for a breakfast run. Instead of writing down about a dozen orders that I'd have to restate to a McDonald's cashier I just did he order on my iPhone one-by-one, then submitted and payed with Apple Pay. Now, it doesn't actually charge your account or show up on their displays until you get within a short geofence range (maybe 25 meters), but while in the car waiting at the traffic light it noticed I was within range which prompted me to choose Inside or Curbside. If you choose Inside it then asks you if you want to Eat In or Take Out. I choose Curbside. We parked and a couple minutes after that, without ever walking into the store. a couple of employees came out with our large order. It's really pretty slick. I'm a fan.

I don't have any of the other apps you mention, but I do have Netflix, Sling, and Hulu apps so I can understand why someone would have a Discovery Channel app if that's what they watch. I can also see why someone would have a YouTube app if they're Red subscribers that watch an ungodly amount YouTube content (which I honestly can't fathom). The same goes for the Best Buy app, I don't shop there but I do shop at Amazon so I have the app since that's much easier to use in every way.
    Thanks for the testimonial (seriously).  I've have the McD app for a long time, but never used it as you described.  I get McDonald's on the way home from work one day a week, so I'll give this a try.  So do I skip the drive through altogether or go through the line and say "I used the app"?
  • Reply 40 of 45
    wizard69 said:
    Soli said:

I'm pretty sure minimizing power usage while your app is in the background is, in fact, a trivial programming skill.