YouTube hammers out battery drain problem with iPhone app in latest update

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    I don't know why the use of apps like this is so pervasive. There are very few features in these that can't be done using a web browser. Do I need apps for CNN, Google search, AppleInsider, Best Buy, McDonald's, Exxon-Mobil, AT&T, Discovery Channel, etc.? No I don't.
    If you're an AT&T customer then you can see your data usage and pay your bill through the app. I do this my carrier and it's considerably more convenient than having to pull up a website and login. I'm not even sure it would be formatted or as fast as the native app.

The McDonald's app is pretty great and you definitely can't do it through the web browser. They have deals/coupons in the app, and let you order and pay with Apple Pay before you even get to the store which can be a time saver.

Anecdote Warning: The morning of Thanksgiving the kitchen was busy with preparing an afternoon meal for 20 people so I said I would run to McDonald's for a breakfast run. Instead of writing down about a dozen orders that I'd have to restate to a McDonald's cashier I just did he order on my iPhone one-by-one, then submitted and payed with Apple Pay. Now, it doesn't actually charge your account or show up on their displays until you get within a short geofence range (maybe 25 meters), but while in the car waiting at the traffic light it noticed I was within range which prompted me to choose Inside or Curbside. If you choose Inside it then asks you if you want to Eat In or Take Out. I choose Curbside. We parked and a couple minutes after that, without ever walking into the store. a couple of employees came out with our large order. It's really pretty slick. I'm a fan.

I don't have any of the other apps you mention, but I do have Netflix, Sling, and Hulu apps so I can understand why someone would have a Discovery Channel app if that's what they watch. I can also see why someone would have a YouTube app if they're Red subscribers that watch an ungodly amount YouTube content (which I honestly can't fathom). The same goes for the Best Buy app, I don't shop there but I do shop at Amazon so I have the app since that's much easier to use in every way.
    Thanks for the testimonial (seriously).  I've have the McD app for a long time, but never used it as you described.  I get McDonald's on the way home from work one day a week, so I'll give this a try.  So do I skip the drive through altogether or go through the line and say "I used the app"?
    You can either park outside and they'll bring it to you or you can go inside to pick it up. If you go inside the order umber on their display will be displayed on your iPhone as soon as you complete the order once inside the geofence. Don't forget to look at those deals in the app.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 42 of 45
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    but what about all those articles stating that you don't need to force close apps? background apps don't use the battery when closed.... yeah right !!! if you still think that, then spend an hour with me and i'll prove you wrong.
    Adding to @ihatescreennames' comment, show me one article that says apps running in the background don't use the battery. You can't because it's a ridiculous notion. If there's a process running in the background it's using the battery. To reiterate the point @ihatescreennames made, you use more battery life and waste more time by force closing every app that happens to be sitting in your most recent app list if it can't launch from a hibernation state, which means it has to use a lot more power to launch again.
    More power to launch? are you kidding? Its not a kettle boiling or a car starting. I can leave my phone for an hour or 2 and some apps that are doing nothing will show as using the battery in the background and my battery life will drain. If i close them after using them, my phone lasts up to 2 days. You can't say I am wrong, because I know what i see with my own eyes. Just because it doesn't happen with your use case , it doesn't mean it never happens to anyone. 
    Before you were just wrong about one thing and now you're even more wrong. No one is expecting you to understand how NAND or saved states work on an iPhone, to but to claim that "apps that are doing nothing" are "using the battery in the background and my battery life will drain" without a basic compression that they must be doing something for them to be draining the battery is unfathomable to me.

Despite all this conservation you've made zero comments about any app settings, actual timeframes, or percentage of battery usage. All you've done is state how it makes it you feel to remove all previous used apps from FAS regardless of whether they're running, without any notion of adjusting their settings, and without a single mention of which apps could be problematic. You haven't even addressed that after a restart all apps you've previously used are still in FAS in the order they were last used, and yet you somehow think they all must be running if they're in there. But suit yourself, it's not like logic and reason has ever been a cure for OCD.
    who said I close all apps??? You are the one making assumptions. Wrongly. Just to keep you happy:

Why are you having a hard time comprehending that on MY phone, some apps need to be force closed, otherwise they chew through the battery. 
    If it doesnt happen for you, then Excellent. Delighted for you ! Wish it was me.
    Cant tell me I am wrong, as I know what i see.

In your first post on this thread you said, “but what about all those articles stating that you don't need to force close apps?”, I mentioned there were no articles like that, and instead mentioned the articles say that you don’t need to force close ALL apps ALL of the time in an effort to save battery life, and by doing so is likely counter to saving battery life.  I also mentioned force closing misbehaving apps may be necessary. 

In a subsequently posted links to 2 articles (well, 1 article and 1 video) saying you don’t need to force close ALL apps ALL the time.

In the post I quoted above you are saying @Soli is making assumptions.  Well, based on your posts in this thread, if @Soli is making assumptions I can understand why.  In this post you also state that you don’t force close all apps but then also mention that on a restart FAS will be empty because you’ve already closed all your apps.  This is confusing and could also lead to someone making assumptions about your phone usage, and again I would understand why.

In this post you also said, “some apps need to be force closed, otherwise they chew through the battery.”  So, now it appears you are on-board with the “not ALL apps need to be closed ALL the time in an effort to save battery life” as Apple and several others have been saying since FAS was introduced (iOS 3, I believe).  By reading what you have stated it appears you have figured out which apps are misbehaving in the background and are force closing them, but the ones that are not misbehaving you leave in FAS.  This is what all those articles for so many years have been saying. The YouTube app clearly fell into the misbehaving category and needed to be force closed.  Maybe now it doesn’t.

I’m not sure what your argument is.
    Soli
  • Reply 43 of 45
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    but what about all those articles stating that you don't need to force close apps? background apps don't use the battery when closed.... yeah right !!! if you still think that, then spend an hour with me and i'll prove you wrong.
    Adding to @ihatescreennames' comment, show me one article that says apps running in the background don't use the battery. You can't because it's a ridiculous notion. If there's a process running in the background it's using the battery. To reiterate the point @ihatescreennames made, you use more battery life and waste more time by force closing every app that happens to be sitting in your most recent app list if it can't launch from a hibernation state, which means it has to use a lot more power to launch again.
    More power to launch? are you kidding? Its not a kettle boiling or a car starting. I can leave my phone for an hour or 2 and some apps that are doing nothing will show as using the battery in the background and my battery life will drain. If i close them after using them, my phone lasts up to 2 days. You can't say I am wrong, because I know what i see with my own eyes. Just because it doesn't happen with your use case , it doesn't mean it never happens to anyone. 
    Before you were just wrong about one thing and now you're even more wrong. No one is expecting you to understand how NAND or saved states work on an iPhone, to but to claim that "apps that are doing nothing" are "using the battery in the background and my battery life will drain" without a basic compression that they must be doing something for them to be draining the battery is unfathomable to me.

Despite all this conservation you've made zero comments about any app settings, actual timeframes, or percentage of battery usage. All you've done is state how it makes it you feel to remove all previous used apps from FAS regardless of whether they're running, without any notion of adjusting their settings, and without a single mention of which apps could be problematic. You haven't even addressed that after a restart all apps you've previously used are still in FAS in the order they were last used, and yet you somehow think they all must be running if they're in there. But suit yourself, it's not like logic and reason has ever been a cure for OCD.
    who said I close all apps??? You are the one making assumptions. Wrongly. Just to keep you happy:

Why are you having a hard time comprehending that on MY phone, some apps need to be force closed, otherwise they chew through the battery. 
    If it doesnt happen for you, then Excellent. Delighted for you ! Wish it was me.

In your first post on this thread you said, “but what about all those articles stating that you don't need to force close apps?”, I mentioned there were no articles like that, and instead mentioned the articles say that you don’t need to force close ALL apps ALL of the time in an effort to save battery life, and by doing so is likely counter to saving battery life.  I also mentioned force closing misbehaving apps may be necessary. 

In a subsequently posted links to 2 articles (well, 1 article and 1 video) saying you don’t need to force close ALL apps ALL the time.

In the post I quoted above you are saying @Soli is making assumptions.  Well, based on your posts in this thread, if @Soli is making assumptions I can understand why.  In this post you also state that you don’t force close all apps but then also mention that on a restart FAS will be empty because you’ve already closed all your apps.  This is confusing and could also lead to someone making assumptions about your phone usage, and again I would understand why.

In this post you also said, “some apps need to be force closed, otherwise they chew through the battery.”  So, now it appears you are on-board with the “not ALL apps need to be closed ALL the time in an effort to save battery life” as Apple and several others have been saying since FAS was introduced (iOS 3, I believe).  By reading what you have stated it appears you have figured out which apps are misbehaving in the background and are force closing them, but the ones that are not misbehaving you leave in FAS.  This is what all those articles for so many years have been saying. The YouTube app clearly fell into the misbehaving category and needed to be force closed.  Maybe now it doesn’t.

God you guys are bloody pedantic at picking out language almost letter by letter. Holy crap this is not hard to understand. Lets forget about my use case... erase all that for a moment.

AI ( and other sites) publish articles stating that there is no need to Force Close apps as it makes no difference to battery life.
    All it takes is ONE contrary situation to prove a theory wrong. Thats the basic of maths and science. Prove just one case that a theory doesn't stand up and the theory is out the window.
    Clearly Facebook and YouTube are apps that have had bugs that drain battery. There are many others.
    So AI etc are the ones falsely leading people to believe that there is no need to close apps.
    Thats all my point was.
    Be safe.
    asdasd
  • Reply 44 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    seanie248 said:
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:

God you guys are bloody pedantic at picking out language almost letter by letter. Holy crap this is not hard to understand. Lets forget about my use case... erase all that for a moment.

AI ( and other sites) publish articles stating that there is no need to Force Close apps as it makes no difference to battery life.
    All it takes is ONE contrary situation to prove a theory wrong. Thats the basic of maths and science. Prove just one case that a theory doesn't stand up and the theory is out the window.
    Clearly Facebook and YouTube are apps that have had bugs that drain battery. There are many others.
    So AI etc are the ones falsely leading people to believe that there is no need to close apps.
    Thats all my point was.
    Be safe.
    Show us a single AI article that said you should never force close an app that is not functioning properly. Do you even understand why the force close option is even built into the Fast App Switcher?
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:
    Soli said:
    seanie248 said:

Thats all my point was.
    Be safe.
    Show us a single AI article that said you should never force close an app that is not functioning properly. Do you even understand why the force close option is even built into the Fast App Switcher?
    Or, alternately, show us an AI article that says you should never force close any apps at all.