Apple begins selling $4999 27-inch iMac Pro with 8-core CPU, deliveries arrive Dec. 27

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    The memory pricing is brutal. More or less as expected, but still disappointing. I wonder if the Mac Pro will be more cost-effective with third party RAM available. 

Why on earth didn’t they allow third party RAM on this machine?  I would really like to buy the base machine and upgrade over time. 
    The amount of engineering that would have to go into something like this would most likely be quite immense, as I imagine it would have an effect on the design of the cooling system they designed specifically for the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro uses full sized ECC DDR4 RAM, not SODIMMs like on the regular 27" iMac. Also the new thermal core runs right down the center of the iMac Pro, which is exactly where the RAM access door is on the regular 27" iMac, again with much smaller SODIMM's installed. 

I don't think the fact that the RAM isn't expandable is really that big of a deal. It may be to some people, but the fact is that most places never open their computers, even if they could. They buy what as much as they can afford, use it until its no useful to them, and then buy new. I don't think this iMac is meant for some willynilly person who does something on the side and considers themselves a "Pro". Its for the design studios, the science labs, the machine learning labs, etc, etc. 
    Yes but don't tell the DIY tinkerers that, who despite the fact that they aren't in the market for this machine and won't be getting one feel compelled to criticize it against their personal wants.
    Yeah I hear ya! I guarantee you these same people find something to bitch about when Apple releases the new Mac Pro too. Usually something ridiculous too. And many of them weren't actually going to buy the iMac Pro or Mac Pro in the first place. 

I think a lot of these people don't understand this market. There are those that do, but many who don't. Its not there same market as a regular consumer. I think what some people do to consider themselves "Pro", they could easily get by with a 27" Core i7 iMac with decent amount of RAM. They're forgetting there's a difference between a nice to have and a need to have. Or, perhaps they're inexperienced so they don't know what they really need as insulting as that may sound to some. 
    Well it looks like configuring the memory (RAM and storage) similarly to the base Mac Pro might drop the price from perhaps $5k to $4k or maybe less assuming components are worth more per  https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro?product=MD878LL/A&step=config

Perhaps Apple will offer it in the future?

I know of some software that can certainly use 8 vs 4 cores and the GPU in rendering work, yet can work comfortably with 16GB of RAM...

I've upgraded an older 'Pro' i7 iMac a number of times, including adding an SSD, then converting to a Fusion drive, and going from 8 to 12 to just last month to 16GB RAM, all on demand, to serve the customer as needed or justified, for professional work, economically...

The other feature I've used is the VESA kit, and so it begs the question noticing this is a $99 option, it seems user installable as it 'ships separately' and the kit contains an 'access card'... This would be great news (!) from my perspective in terms of flexibility, restoring a long missed feature that has actually been a point of resistance in  purchasing...

Now if we could get back target display I'd be even happier!
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 59
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Nope to soldered not upgradable parts by user and programmed obsolescence. All-in-one (AIO) computers like iMac are a huge aggression to planet Earth. Computers may last for seven years or less, whereas displays may last for more than 20 years. I am using an Apple Cinema Display 22-inch purchased almost 18 years ago and it works great. And it has been on an average of 15 hours a day, 356 days each year.
    mobius
  • Reply 43 of 59
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    I hope all these naysayers will be just as harsh when Dell, HP or Microsoft try’s to put out the same thing with half the specs but the same price. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 59
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    TOP Performance ... TOP = Totally Obnoxious Pricing
    Nope, as has been discussed quite a bit here the pricing is similar to other same equipped workstations. You want 2-3x performance, it costs you. When has that ever not been the case? 
    I'm not arguing the price compared to the PC competition.  I'm arguing that there are Macs that cost thousands less that can be used to do the same job, with the same success.  
    Depends on how you measure success. There are some tasks the regular iMac GPUs will not be able to do, period. And there are some tasks that will take much, much longer. 

But it you think these machines do nothing better than regular macs, you’re nuts. 
    How did people ever do their jobs before this day?  This miraculous day ... on which Apple has bestowed it's iMac Pro gift upon humanity?
    Its obvious this Mac isn't for you...nothing more needs to be said. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 59
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    appex said:
    Nope to soldered not upgradable parts by user and programmed obsolescence. All-in-one (AIO) computers like iMac are a huge aggression to planet Earth. Computers may last for seven years or less, whereas displays may last for more than 20 years. I am using an Apple Cinema Display 22-inch purchased almost 18 years ago and it works great. And it has been on an average of 15 hours a day, 356 days each year.
    You were warned. Enjoy the ban.
    edited December 2017 VRingmatrix077dsdmuthuk_vanalingamentropysStrangeDaysmacxpresspolymniawatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 46 of 59
    VRing said:
    [...] The LG UltraFine panel is Apple's iMac panel (500 nit, P3, etc). The LG UltraFine 5K is $1,299 as well.
    You're right. Mea culpa. I somehow thought the UltraFine 5K was parallel to the Late 2015 5K iMac display -- thus not 500 nits, etc. But it only came out a year ago, not two years ago as I was thinking. Time flies, until it doesn't!
  • Reply 47 of 59
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    VRing said:
    [...] The LG UltraFine panel is Apple's iMac panel (500 nit, P3, etc). The LG UltraFine 5K is $1,299 as well.
    You're right. Mea culpa. I somehow thought the UltraFine 5K was parallel to the Late 2015 5K iMac display -- thus not 500 nits, etc. But it only came out a year ago, not two years ago as I was thinking. Time flies, until it doesn't!
    Indeed it does, mind you, with CES only a few weeks away, we might see some new pro monitors. Hopefully some more OLED options this time around.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    What a waste of $5000 this HP all-in-one from Walmart is pretty much the same thing and recently dropped from $1100 to $379 awesome value and great for Skype(ing), see the review. I am sure they are having trouble keeping these out of landfills. What not to like, pretty much same great industrial design in 2017.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Envy-All-in-One-with-Intel-Celeron-J3355-4GB-1TB-HDD/

yes, just a bit /s
  • Reply 49 of 59
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    VRing said:
    rob53 said:
    Here we go...
    Please configure a stupid PC that comes anywhere near the power and price of the iMac Pro before spouting off these types of comments. When you find one, make sure it can actually run OTS software.
    GamePC (Silicon Valley company that makes custom workstations) has Xeon W listed in their prices.

For comparison:

iMac Pro - $9,699 (same configuration that MKBHD had)
    • Intel Xeon W-2155 (downclocked)
    • Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB HBM2 (downclocked)
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

GamePC GMT-W7/300 - $6,514 (PC) + $1,299 (Dell UP2715K display) = $7,813
    • Intel Xeon W-2155
    • Radeon Pro Vega Frontier Edition (Vega 64) 16 GB HBM2
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card (2x)
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

That's $1,886 less for a more powerful workstation that can be upgraded and won't have thermal throttling.

Of course, that's just one company's price. 
    - Where’s the Thunderbolt 3?
    - Where’s the secure enclave?
    - Can it be mounted on a VESA arm mount?
    - Can it run the much better macOS?

....Missing, missing, no, no. So it's not an equally capable system. (btw I love having my dev iMac arm mounted on my sit-stand desk, it's the ultimate in flexibility, ergonomics, and one clean looking work space).

Sorry but a bunch of crap shoved into an ugly box does not equal a Mac. 
    What about monitor?

EDIT: SORRY Just re-read comment...
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Nope, as has been discussed quite a bit here the pricing is similar to other same equipped workstations. You want 2-3x performance, it costs you. When has that ever not been the case? 
    I'm not arguing the price compared to the PC competition.  I'm arguing that there are Macs that cost thousands less that can be used to do the same job, with the same success.  
    Depends on how you measure success. There are some tasks the regular iMac GPUs will not be able to do, period. And there are some tasks that will take much, much longer. 

But it you think these machines do nothing better than regular macs, you’re nuts. 
    How did people ever do their jobs before this day?  This miraculous day ... on which Apple has bestowed it's iMac Pro gift upon humanity?
    Now youre just making a straw man argument, aka moving the goal posts. I explained to you why the iMP can do things the other Macs cannot, and why it can do things they can do 2-3 times faster. Neither of these may matter to you, but that's the job to be done of this tool. If you don't need the tool, fine, but that doesn't mean the tool has no purpose. 

Stop trolling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 59
    appex said:
    Nope to soldered not upgradable parts by user and programmed obsolescence. All-in-one (AIO) computers like iMac are a huge aggression to planet Earth
    None of this is true. Glad we won't have to read your repetitive garbage on every iMac discussion anymore. 
    edited December 2017 macxpresswatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 52 of 59
    i don’t need it. but i want it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 59
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    VRing said:
    rob53 said:
    Here we go...
    Please configure a stupid PC that comes anywhere near the power and price of the iMac Pro before spouting off these types of comments. When you find one, make sure it can actually run OTS software.
    GamePC (Silicon Valley company that makes custom workstations) has Xeon W listed in their prices.

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

That's $1,886 less for a more powerful workstation that can be upgraded and won't have thermal throttling.

- Where’s the Thunderbolt 3?
    - Where’s the secure enclave?
    - Can it be mounted on a VESA arm mount?
    - Can it run the much better macOS?

....Missing, missing, no, no. So it's not an equally capable system. (btw I love having my dev iMac arm mounted on my sit-stand desk, it's the ultimate in flexibility, ergonomics, and one clean looking work space).

Sorry but a bunch of crap shoved into an ugly box does not equal a Mac. 
    So much this. Please, fuck off with the PC builds. Simply not interested.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 54 of 59
    appex said:
    Nope to soldered not upgradable parts by user and programmed obsolescence. All-in-one (AIO) computers like iMac are a huge aggression to planet Earth
    None of this is true. Glad we won't have to read your repetitive garbage on every iMac discussion anymore. 
    Now he's over on 9 to 5 Mac spouting off the same BS...I think he has a Note or something because its the same exact post every time. Hopefully he'll get banned over there too. 
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 55 of 59
    HELL NO! Are they kidding???? I'm perfectly happy with my monitors. Why should I pay extra for yet another monitor. Apple no longer has any clue about what a professional is. Now we will have to wait for another two or three years until Apple finally pulls its head out of its tailpipe and provide us with a proper professional machine.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    VRing said:
    metrix said:
    VRing said:
    rob53 said:
    Here we go...

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

You lost me at Game PC. What design company buys no support computers from some company called Game PC that been around for a day and has web footprint the size of a gnat?
    Alcatael, Avaya Communications, Boeing, General Dynamics, Gulfstream, Hitachi Global Storage, Icon Medialab, IEM, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Oceaneering, Rockwell Collins, Raytheon, SRI international, Verizon Laboratories, Bizzard Games, Breakaway Games, Demiurge Studios, Epic Games, Irrational Games, SunStorm Interactive, Duke University, Federal Aviation Administration, Gallaudet University, General Services Administration, Homeland Security, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, John Hopkins University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Monterey Navel Academy, NASA Jet Propulsion Lab, Standford University, United States Navy, University of California Berkeley, University of Minnesota, University of Buffalo and more.

They have many high profile clients and they've been around since 1985. 
    I have been many of the Defense contractors you have listed and I have never seen that computer. So, maybe these are 1% sales in these companies. I have never seen this computer or heard anyone talk about it. I can't even find any reviews or find them listed in any top 10 custom builders. I see OriginPC, Falcon,CyberPower, Digital Storm but I can't find anything on this company other that what the put on their website.
    watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 57 of 59
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    appex said:
    So if appex gets banned, does that mean that he and sog35 get to post to each other forever? 

It's like being on a desert island with each others worst nightmare.

fastasleep
  • Reply 58 of 59
    tyancy said:
    HELL NO! Are they kidding???? I'm perfectly happy with my monitors. Why should I pay extra for yet another monitor. Apple no longer has any clue about what a professional is. Now we will have to wait for another two or three years until Apple finally pulls its head out of its tailpipe and provide us with a proper professional machine.
    Jesus have you been living under a rock? I’m a pro, this looks great to me. But if it doesn’t to you, then don’t get it. Apple said very clearly they’re doing both an AIO and a modular option. Dur
  • Reply 59 of 59
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    VRing said:
    rob53 said:
    Here we go...

For comparison:

• 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • 10 Gb network card
    • MacOS
    • 1 year warranty

• Intel Xeon W-2155
    • 128 GB DDR4-2666 ECC
    • 2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • 1 year warranty

Dang, you are right. GamePC is extremely over-priced. I just priced out a system like I would like (8 core with 32GB of ECC ram and 2TB SSD) and Game PC came it at $400 more WITHOUT a monitor and keyboard. Thanks for showing me what a great deal the iMac Pro is. Not only that, the SSD on the GamePC is substantially slower.