China adds to government pressure on Apple over iPhone slowdowns

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    jume said:
    jume said:
    mike54 said:
    Good. Apple deserves it.
    Now I wish governments would go after Intel for their security debacle which has a bigger and more important impact that will last for years.
    Great, another uneducated armchair commentator who thinks he knows everything and makes asinine comments pushing forward a pitchfork agenda against Apple... Getting sick of seeing this stupid BS online...
    It's not stupid bullshit. It was made deliberately to sell more phones and there was no communication to us or Apple store workers to handle this in the right way when your phone gets slow. Nobody knew this was because of old battery. I still don't believe it's just because of the old battery. I have replaced mine. The settings do not show warning of crippled battery, but the phone is still utterly slow. Nothing like first two years when I bought it. And don't shit me it's the apps thing. I have the same apps from the day I bought my iPhone 6. 

Get ok with it. Apple screwed up big time here and it's time to pay back.

I wonder what would be your and other fanboy alike comments if this was Samsung case?!? You would probably shit all over Samsung for it... Grow up kids. Apple make great products, but their quality is very questionable in recent years. It's not just #throttlegate. Also premium priced iPhoneX doesn't feel that premium at all and it's full of usability quirks. For the most expensive product in it's niche you would not expect that.

There should be more pressure on Apple. They need to step up their game and improve!
    Get over myself? When you come in here blazing nonsense and more BS? Listen, I'm an ACSP of 7 years, and in the IT field for almost 24 years now, so I know a thing or two more about technology and how it works than you armchair trolls, get over yourselves.

Bottom line, you get fed the media narrative, make some asinine assumptions about the situation, then run with it as gospel, and when someone with even an ounce of logic and reasoning comes in to provide proper information, you take a shit on them.

If you hate the product that much, and think it sucks that bad, fine, get rid of it and get a junker Android and be happy with that garbage. No one is pointing a gun to your head to keep Apple products!

And I can GUARANTEE, that if you've replaced your battery, and the phone is still having performance issues, there is another underlying cause, and it has NOTHING to do with any sort of battery impedance / voltage throttling implemented by iOS.
    So you are IT - well done. IT guys always know everything. Been a SW dev for over 20 years and working with IT guys has always been a challenge. You are probably the smartest species alive knowing just about anything in tech, politics, law and just about everything else. 

And you still don't get it. I am replacing my battery no questions asked. But that's not the problem in this case. It's not why law suits are being filled. Apple could have been clear with this since the "feature" was released and I would have replaced the battery a year ago and no-one would have any comments about it. Instead they have kept their mouth shut until someone find-out and went public with it. I am sure Apple sold millions of iPhones more due to this secrecy regarding the CPU throttling and everyone at Apple was happy pocketing millions thanks to this "feature". They have not just lied to the customers they have also broken law. At list some of the EU laws that is.

But actually in real life -- iPhones have the longest useful lifespan in the business, and the highest resale values. These are facts. And they're directly at odds with your conspiracy theory. 

Leaving the simple truth -- old hardware gets slow because it can't run new software as well anymore. This is a basic tenant of computing.
    You still don't get it :). I know all this that's why I use Apple products. Again that's not the case here. Apple was very wrong on CPU throttling and how they handled the communication to everyone. It's a very bad PR for the company. 
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 82 of 101

Rayz2016 said:
    jdw said:
    Even though such would be going against what Apple normally does, they could please everybody with a simply Preference setting:

ON = Slow my phone as my battery ages so I get more life out of my battery.

OFF = Allow my phone to suddenly and randomly shut off as the battery ages.

It really is that simple.
    So let me get this straight in my head. 

You’re suggesting that Apple puts an option on their phone, asking users if it would be okay to let the phone crash rather than avoid the crash. 

That’s what you’re suggesting.

Seriously. 

Could I ask, what kind of stuff you’re doing where you would prefer it to crash rather than slow down during peak loads?

Yes we are suggesting that because it would be good for everyone. I would rather have app working and crashing from time to time then not working at all. Apps crash anyway with new or old battery. 
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 83 of 101

Rayz2016 said:
    jume said:
    JWSC said:
    jume said:

If the CPU throttling insures the best customer experience, please, you are more then welcome come using my iPhone 6, which is BARELY USABLE and frequently UNUSABLE  due to this update! User experience at its best.... NOT.
    It is entirely possible that the software update you blame for crippling your iPhone did modify the battery management algorithm, making performance worse.

But I am curious.  Have you actually taken your iPhone in to an Apple store and have them check your battery?  I took my old 6 plus in and they said it was pretty much depleted.  So they put me on the waiting list for the $29 battery replacement (may be waiting a couple months on that unfortunately).  If you’ve got a bad battery then your whining is rather pointless.  Go get it checked out and stop being a crybaby.
    Not crying. There is no 29$ battery replacement in Europe. It costs 59 EURO over here. Still this does not change the fact that Apple was intentionally covering up this mess and eventually had to spent 1 year with crippled iPhone. 
    Mmm. Where in Europe are you? This replacement service is supposed to be worldwide. 
    In Slovenia, central EU. The $29 price in US is anyway price without tax. All Apple prices in EU are anyway higher then US by default + added tax which in average is around 20%. And yes it costs 59 EURO with the new discount. Before 125 EURO.
    edited January 2018 ClarityToSee
  • Reply 84 of 101
    ClarityToSeeClarityToSee Posts: 34unconfirmed, member
    jume said:

A lot of the fanboys here feel an uncontrollable urge to jump to Apple’s rescue unconsciously either because they haven’t had the opportunity to experience the slowdown and associated glitchiness themselves OR because they replace their phones too fast to even be bothered by this issue OR because they are willing to overlook this issue because of Apple’s record so far of being the best in being environmentally friendly OR because they feel that they are supporting humanity go in the right direction by supporting a company that operates on a morally high ground in general whether it be by protecting consumer data impartially or protecting the environment. And I am not disputing or invalidating any of the above reasons. They are all valid and genuinely deserve praise. 

However, I will make the critique where it is justifiably due. I was so frustrated with my iPhone one day that I wanted to smash it against the wall and never look back? Why you ask? Because it got so slow that it was like watching paint dry on the wall. And it didn’t shut off at 2% to save the internals like someone here mentioned but rather it shut off 
    randomly at anything, even at 90% or 80%. One time I got stuck on the side of the road in a wind storm with power outage in the area with a broken car and I couldn’t make a single phone call to a tow truck or to my spouse to save my life because it got so glitchy and slow. I randomly had to ask for an Android phone who a stranger walking by happened to own to make a phone call. You can imagine why I am so upset at Apple over this battery issue. This was never an issue with my previous iPhones where I noticed the battery draining too fast and I just had the battery replaced. Simple as that. But this time with the IPhone 6, it was a complete disaster. And I didn’t know to expect phone shutting down at 80% or 50% or something else. And from what I hear this is going to be a common practice by Apple for all IPhones starting with iPhone 6. This is going to be a nightmare, God forbid if you ever got stuck with a little older iPhone in your pocket, and the same thing happened to you that happened to me, especially with climate change and colder winters, I will pray for you. 
    Well said agree 100%.

That's exactly my experience. I love Apple but I will not justify their wrong doing just because Apple is a great company. I have given thousands and thousands of Euros to them and I expect they treat me fairly and not hide something like this from me or anyone. I lost to much nerves due to my unusable iPhone, just like you described. 
    Sorry to break your conspiracy theory.  But Apple wasn't hiding anything.

Unlike Samsung, Apple manages its products throughout their lifecycle to provide the best customer experience.  In this case, they eliminated a potentially dangerous unexpected shutdown problem by managing the CPU demand on phones with weak, worn out batteries....

No hiding.  No conspiracy.   Sorry to disappoint you.
    I am not sure how you missed this story, but I think you should look deeper into the Apple batterygate issue before terming it a conspiracy theory. Everyone knows Apple was hiding the throttling and the intentional slowdown of the Iphones for a whole year. It is not a conspiracy theory.
  • Reply 85 of 101
    jume said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    foggyhill said:
    Thanks for the Engadget article link above Brisance.  It definitely sheds more light on the issues with alternative device options.  I do agree with you that the problem with alternatives like Samsung is two-fold, one lacking proper hardware quality controls and two bloatware. Hence I have stayed firmly in Apple’s camp so far.
    But this IPhone slow down and inferior battery deployment is a major issue that I would like to see them address sooner rather than later.  And I don’t mean addressing by offering a temporary program of ten months to pay $29 to replace a battery but rather addressing by a permanent fix to the problem by genuinely using better power retaining batteries like Samsung, but with better hardware quality controls like Apple is known for.

Bigger batteries are less stressed, Samsung CPU have deplorable single thread peaks with stresses the battery less, Smaller phones, less stress, etc, etc, etc.

Samsung's batteries in the current phones are ripe with problems (not to mention the Note). What's your fracking explanation there huh bud.

So, you just lied again. Just stop lying. You're not fooling anyone buddy.
    The irony is that Apple has been using AI to slow down and speed up the processor for some time, and for other reasons besides battery age. And this is something every other high end manufacturer has been doing for years. No phone chip runs at full speed all the time. If it did then the battery would probably last two hours at the most. 

In response to the iPhone aged battery thing, both Samsung and LG released statements saying that they do not throttle phones with aged batteries. What they didn’t say was that they don’t throttle phones at all. 

As as far as I remember, the only phone that ran its components at full speed was the Samsung Note4 – and even then it only ran at full speed when it detected it was running a benchmark test. 
    Yep!   That's a good point that few have realized...
    Every CPU in every computer from every manufacturer is managed in a variety of ways....
    ...  Deal with it!
    Hell no it's not the same. All the MacBook's I had in my life have never seen slowdowns and are still usable years after they were bought ... It's different with iPhone. It's barely usable and lot's of customers when and bought a new one because of that!! This is a huge difference to me. 
    As I said in response to your original post:
    'Every CPU in every computer from every manufacturer is managed in a variety of ways....
    ...  Deal with it!"

It was simply managing CPU demand to match a weak, worn out battery.  Not a "slow Down" as you conspiracy theory guys like to say...
    “Deal with it” is not a proper response to a mis-handling of such a monumental proportion by Apple. As an analogy, the normal upkeeping and fine tuning of the phone could be compared to fine-tuning, replacing oil filter, cabin filter and running diagnostics on your car when you take it in for an oil change. You don’t expect your car dealership to remove the engine from your car to save it’s battery AFTER you purchase the car! It’s just common sense guys, I don’t know how you cannot see this!
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 86 of 101
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jume said:

A lot of the fanboys here feel an uncontrollable urge to jump to Apple’s rescue unconsciously either because they haven’t had the opportunity to experience the slowdown and associated glitchiness themselves OR because they replace their phones too fast to even be bothered by this issue OR because they are willing to overlook this issue because of Apple’s record so far of being the best in being environmentally friendly OR because they feel that they are supporting humanity go in the right direction by supporting a company that operates on a morally high ground in general whether it be by protecting consumer data impartially or protecting the environment. And I am not disputing or invalidating any of the above reasons. They are all valid and genuinely deserve praise. 

However, I will make the critique where it is justifiably due. I was so frustrated with my iPhone one day that I wanted to smash it against the wall and never look back? Why you ask? Because it got so slow that it was like watching paint dry on the wall. And it didn’t shut off at 2% to save the internals like someone here mentioned but rather it shut off 
    randomly at anything, even at 90% or 80%. One time I got stuck on the side of the road in a wind storm with power outage in the area with a broken car and I couldn’t make a single phone call to a tow truck or to my spouse to save my life because it got so glitchy and slow. I randomly had to ask for an Android phone who a stranger walking by happened to own to make a phone call. You can imagine why I am so upset at Apple over this battery issue. This was never an issue with my previous iPhones where I noticed the battery draining too fast and I just had the battery replaced. Simple as that. But this time with the IPhone 6, it was a complete disaster. And I didn’t know to expect phone shutting down at 80% or 50% or something else. And from what I hear this is going to be a common practice by Apple for all IPhones starting with iPhone 6. This is going to be a nightmare, God forbid if you ever got stuck with a little older iPhone in your pocket, and the same thing happened to you that happened to me, especially with climate change and colder winters, I will pray for you. 
    Well said agree 100%.

That's exactly my experience. I love Apple but I will not justify their wrong doing just because Apple is a great company. I have given thousands and thousands of Euros to them and I expect they treat me fairly and not hide something like this from me or anyone. I lost to much nerves due to my unusable iPhone, just like you described. 
    Sorry to break your conspiracy theory.  But Apple wasn't hiding anything.

Unlike Samsung, Apple manages its products throughout their lifecycle to provide the best customer experience.  In this case, they eliminated a potentially dangerous unexpected shutdown problem by managing the CPU demand on phones with weak, worn out batteries....

No hiding.  No conspiracy.   Sorry to disappoint you.
    I am not sure how you missed this story, but I think you should look deeper into the Apple batterygate issue before terming it a conspiracy theory. Everyone knows Apple was hiding the throttling and the intentional slowdown of the Iphones for a whole year. It is not a conspiracy theory.
    Yep...   Guilty as charged!   I confess that I skipped right over the conspiracy theories and stuck with reality and fact...

"Everyone knows...."   That's usually a dead giveaway that the story is based on spin rather than fact... 
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 87 of 101
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jume said:

Rayz2016 said:
    jdw said:
    Even though such would be going against what Apple normally does, they could please everybody with a simply Preference setting:

You’re suggesting that Apple puts an option on their phone, asking users if it would be okay to let the phone crash rather than avoid the crash. 

Seriously. 

Could I ask, what kind of stuff you’re doing where you would prefer it to crash rather than slow down during peak loads?

Yes we are suggesting that because it would be good for everyone. I would rather have app working and crashing from time to time then not working at all. Apps crash anyway with new or old battery. 
    If the apps are not working at all then you have a different problem than the processor slowing down. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 88 of 101
    jume said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    foggyhill said:
    Thanks for the Engadget article link above Brisance.  It definitely sheds more light on the issues with alternative device options.  I do agree with you that the problem with alternatives like Samsung is two-fold, one lacking proper hardware quality controls and two bloatware. Hence I have stayed firmly in Apple’s camp so far.
    But this IPhone slow down and inferior battery deployment is a major issue that I would like to see them address sooner rather than later.  And I don’t mean addressing by offering a temporary program of ten months to pay $29 to replace a battery but rather addressing by a permanent fix to the problem by genuinely using better power retaining batteries like Samsung, but with better hardware quality controls like Apple is known for.

Bigger batteries are less stressed, Samsung CPU have deplorable single thread peaks with stresses the battery less, Smaller phones, less stress, etc, etc, etc.

Samsung's batteries in the current phones are ripe with problems (not to mention the Note). What's your fracking explanation there huh bud.

The irony is that Apple has been using AI to slow down and speed up the processor for some time, and for other reasons besides battery age. And this is something every other high end manufacturer has been doing for years. No phone chip runs at full speed all the time. If it did then the battery would probably last two hours at the most. 

In response to the iPhone aged battery thing, both Samsung and LG released statements saying that they do not throttle phones with aged batteries. What they didn’t say was that they don’t throttle phones at all. 

As as far as I remember, the only phone that ran its components at full speed was the Samsung Note4 – and even then it only ran at full speed when it detected it was running a benchmark test. 
    Every CPU in every computer from every manufacturer is managed in a variety of ways....
    ...  Deal with it!
    Hell no it's not the same. All the MacBook's I had in my life have never seen slowdowns and are still usable years after they were bought ... It's different with iPhone. It's barely usable and lot's of customers when and bought a new one because of that!! This is a huge difference to me. 
    'Every CPU in every computer from every manufacturer is managed in a variety of ways....
    ...  Deal with it!"

It was simply managing CPU demand to match a weak, worn out battery.  Not a "slow Down" as you conspiracy theory guys like to say...
    “Deal with it” is not a proper response to a mis-handling of such a monumental proportion by Apple. As an analogy, the normal upkeeping and fine tuning of the phone could be compared to fine-tuning, replacing oil filter, cabin filter and running diagnostics on your car when you take it in for an oil change. You don’t expect your car dealership to remove the engine from your car to save it’s battery AFTER you purchase the car! It’s just common sense guys, I don’t know how you cannot see this!
    As I said:
    ...  Deal with it!"

In this particular case, Apple used power management to manage the power demands on weak, worn out batteries in order to prevent unpredictable shutdowns that could have endangered both the phone and the user of the phone.  It would have been irresponsible for them to NOT do what they did...

In fact, to not do what they did would have opened them up for lawsuits rather than the current crop of crazy conspiracy theories like yours....
  • Reply 89 of 101
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jume said:

Rayz2016 said:
    jume said:
    JWSC said:
    jume said:

If the CPU throttling insures the best customer experience, please, you are more then welcome come using my iPhone 6, which is BARELY USABLE and frequently UNUSABLE  due to this update! User experience at its best.... NOT.
    It is entirely possible that the software update you blame for crippling your iPhone did modify the battery management algorithm, making performance worse.

But I am curious.  Have you actually taken your iPhone in to an Apple store and have them check your battery?  I took my old 6 plus in and they said it was pretty much depleted.  So they put me on the waiting list for the $29 battery replacement (may be waiting a couple months on that unfortunately).  If you’ve got a bad battery then your whining is rather pointless.  Go get it checked out and stop being a crybaby.
    Not crying. There is no 29$ battery replacement in Europe. It costs 59 EURO over here. Still this does not change the fact that Apple was intentionally covering up this mess and eventually had to spent 1 year with crippled iPhone. 
    Mmm. Where in Europe are you? This replacement service is supposed to be worldwide. 
    In Slovenia, central EU. The $29 price in US is anyway price without tax. All Apple prices in EU are anyway higher then US by default + added tax which in average is around 20%. And yes it costs 59 EURO with the new discount. Before 125 EURO.
    Right so they have dropped the price. It was just bloody expensive to begin with. Still doesn’t sound right to me though. 
  • Reply 90 of 101

jbdragon said:
    All Apple did was normal battery management. As long as your battery is OK, nothing changes. The simple fact is, my iPhone 6 runs quite a bit better into it's 4th year then my iPhone 4 by quite a bit going into it's 4th year.

After every single yearly major iOS update, the phone gets a little slower. This is perfectly normal. The OS grows, gets more complex, it needs more power. But along with the OS, the app's themselves also grow and get more complex and resource hungry. This all makes older hardware get slower and slower. This happens with every OS.

What Apple did is allow older phones to work better as the battery gets weaker. If anything, what Apple did is allow people to use and hold onto their iPhones LONGER without having to do anything. Apple shouldn't have to explain themselves when they do this. Again, normal battery management that happens with all devices in the background.

Doing a speed test, is doing exactly what Apple is trying to slow down, so of course you'll see the worse kind of hit. But it's not real life operation. So many people, really clueless about what is going on, but jumping on the Negative Apple bandwagon over something that's NORMAL.

Many valid statements, mixed with few incorrect statements. I have bolded the incorrect statements.

What Apple did is allow older phones to work better as the battery gets weaker. - How does a "slower" phone work "better"? Because it does not shutdown and hide a real problem that the battery needs to be replaced? No, it is NOT better. It is worser because the old phone is damn slow already due to newer iOS versions. On top of it, slowing down the SoC make is near impossible to use.

Apple shouldn't have to explain themselves when they do this. - Then why did "apologize" for this Incident in the first place AND offered battery swap for $29?

normal battery management that happens with all devices - No, this particular SoC slowdown happens ONLY with iPhone 6 & later. Not the older iPhones OR Android phones or Windows Phones or Any other phones. Can you please correct me if I am wrong, along with EVIDENCE?

something that's NORMAL. - No, it is NOT NORMAL. You get a screen-on-time of 2 hours instead of 4 hours - it is NORMAL. Slowing down of Phone - No, it is NOT.

Nonsense. They apologized and announced cheaper batteries for a limited time for a simple reason: PR. Same reason Jobs gave out free bumpers after proving with evidence that the 4 suffered no more significantly dropped calls than the 3GS and that the signal attenuation was normal when it and other phones were put into a death grip by a meat-bag. They continued selling it as-is for many years to come.

Power management is normal. General slow down as older devices run newer software is normal. Performing routine maintenance on your phone's consumables is normal. Not doing so is like complaining when your car's old battery fails to crank during winter or summer.

Why would something become a PR issue, if there was NOTHING WRONG with what Apple did? Did Jobs "apologize" for the signal issue?

General slow down as older devices run newer software is normal - It should NOT slow down to an extent where it becomes unusable, like brand new cheap Android phones. It should NOT be considered as normal. Then you are holding Apple to VERY LOW standards. Don't expect others to have such low expectations for Apple after paying Premium price. The higher expectations comes with the territory of premium prices being charged by Apple. Nothing abnormal there.

• Reply 91 of 101
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    jume said:
    jume said:
    mike54 said:
    Good. Apple deserves it.
    Now I wish governments would go after Intel for their security debacle which has a bigger and more important impact that will last for years.
    Great, another uneducated armchair commentator who thinks he knows everything and makes asinine comments pushing forward a pitchfork agenda against Apple... Getting sick of seeing this stupid BS online...
    It's not stupid bullshit. It was made deliberately to sell more phones and there was no communication to us or Apple store workers to handle this in the right way when your phone gets slow. Nobody knew this was because of old battery. I still don't believe it's just because of the old battery. I have replaced mine. The settings do not show warning of crippled battery, but the phone is still utterly slow. Nothing like first two years when I bought it. And don't shit me it's the apps thing. I have the same apps from the day I bought my iPhone 6. 

I wonder what would be your and other fanboy alike comments if this was Samsung case?!? You would probably shit all over Samsung for it... Grow up kids. Apple make great products, but their quality is very questionable in recent years. It's not just #throttlegate. Also premium priced iPhoneX doesn't feel that premium at all and it's full of usability quirks. For the most expensive product in it's niche you would not expect that.

There should be more pressure on Apple. They need to step up their game and improve!
    Get over myself? When you come in here blazing nonsense and more BS? Listen, I'm an ACSP of 7 years, and in the IT field for almost 24 years now, so I know a thing or two more about technology and how it works than you armchair trolls, get over yourselves.

Bottom line, you get fed the media narrative, make some asinine assumptions about the situation, then run with it as gospel, and when someone with even an ounce of logic and reasoning comes in to provide proper information, you take a shit on them.

If you hate the product that much, and think it sucks that bad, fine, get rid of it and get a junker Android and be happy with that garbage. No one is pointing a gun to your head to keep Apple products!

And I can GUARANTEE, that if you've replaced your battery, and the phone is still having performance issues, there is another underlying cause, and it has NOTHING to do with any sort of battery impedance / voltage throttling implemented by iOS.
    So you are IT - well done. IT guys always know everything. Been a SW dev for over 20 years and working with IT guys has always been a challenge. You are probably the smartest species alive knowing just about anything in tech, politics, law and just about everything else. 

And you still don't get it. I am replacing my battery no questions asked. But that's not the problem in this case. It's not why law suits are being filled. Apple could have been clear with this since the "feature" was released and I would have replaced the battery a year ago and no-one would have any comments about it. Instead they have kept their mouth shut until someone find-out and went public with it. I am sure Apple sold millions of iPhones more due to this secrecy regarding the CPU throttling and everyone at Apple was happy pocketing millions thanks to this "feature". They have not just lied to the customers they have also broken law. At list some of the EU laws that is.
    Apple expanded the Throttling to iPhone 7 line with iOS 11.   I believe that they did this do to an unusually high number of replacements under AppleCare in the second year.    As most add on Warrantee products are considered insurance, Apple may have broken insurance law.   Hopefully there will be at least a coupe in-depth investigations.   At this point I don't take Apple at their word even when I like their products. 
    ClarityToSeeavon b7
  • Reply 92 of 101
    jume said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    foggyhill said:

...  Deal with it!
    ...  Deal with it!"

As I said:
    ...  Deal with it!"

In this particular case, Apple used power management to manage the power demands on weak, worn out batteries in order to prevent unpredictable shutdowns that could have endangered both the phone and the user of the phone.  It would have been irresponsible for them to NOT do what they did...

In fact, to not do what they did would have opened them up for lawsuits rather than the current crop of crazy conspiracy theories like yours....

• Reply 93 of 101
    k2kw said:
    jume said:
    jume said:
    mike54 said:
    Good. Apple deserves it.

Apple expanded the Throttling to iPhone 7 line with iOS 11.   I believe that they did this do to an unusually high number of replacements under AppleCare in the second year.    As most add on Warrantee products are considered insurance, Apple may have broken insurance law.   Hopefully there will be at least a coupe in-depth investigations.   At this point I don't take Apple at their word even when I like their products. 
    Exactly, my thoughts too. Throttling is neither moral nor acceptable. It’s reprehensible. What happens when newer models start slowing down because of deliberate performance undermining.  It doesn’t matter what fancy words people have been using to justify this like “power management” or “peak power offload”. I liked the battery management of previous iPhones MUCH MUCH MUCH better. Whereby if your phone is draining faster you know you have to replace the battery. Simple as that. No need to slow down an entire phone to save a $29 battery cost. Seriously!
    jume
  • Reply 94 of 101
    Rayz2016 said:
    jume said:

Rayz2016 said:
    jdw said:

Seriously. 

If the apps are not working at all then you have a different problem than the processor slowing down. 
    Why would the apps not work ? because of a draining and weakening battery? It was never an issue with apps not working before IPhone 6 and before the whole enhanced “peak power management” debacle. If a battery is weakening, it should mean just that and should not be made to look like my way or highway doom scenario. Your phone will still work, it just won’t have the same battery charge retention. That’s all. 
  • Reply 95 of 101
    Rayz2016 said:
    jume said:

Rayz2016 said:
    jdw said:

Seriously. 

No it's not and I am not the only one. So if camera app is unresponsive and takes 10s before I can shot something, this is the same as not working for me.
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 96 of 101

Rayz2016 said:
    jume said:

Rayz2016 said:
    jume said:
    JWSC said:
    jume said:

Right so they have dropped the price. It was just bloody expensive to begin with. Still doesn’t sound right to me though. 
    Well 256GB iPhone X in USA costs 1149$ + tax which is around 1010 EURO and here it costs 1400 EURO which is around 1710$ in todays currency rate... Crazy!
  • Reply 97 of 101
    jume said:
    cropr said:
    lkrupp said:
    So, Apple can just send them a copy of their explanation and reasoning that was published weeks ago. What else are they supposed to provide? The crux of all these ‘investigations’ is to try and brand Apple with malicious, intentional planned obsolescence. How do they plan to prove that? Experts have already stated Apple’s solution is acceptable and only criticized Apple for not being more transparent about it. As for those asshats claiming they have the right to choose whether their phones just randomly shut down or whether to slow things down to prevent said shutdowns, what kind of “choice” is that? That kind of “choice” is stupid, just like the asshats who want to be able to install whatever kind of crap they want to and use it to justify jailbreaking.
    There is a big difference between not being more transparent like you claim and what Apple actually did:  hiding the throttling from the customer until some clever guy came with the prove.  The former is a small communication issue, the latter could be interpreted as intentional. 

Every customer with a a slow iPhone  who bought a new iPhone but who was not given the option to replace the battery, was mislead by Apple.   The fact that a lot of Apple Stores guided these customers to buy a new iPhone did not help to contradict the possible intentional character.

The throttling itself is not the issue, the secrecy about it is. 
    Sorry to ruin your conspiracy theory.   But, Apple manages every facet of their products even after the sale in order to insure the best customer experience with them.   And, it quite obviously works.  At the same time, Apple keeps it simple by simply producing and managing products that "just work" without long winded explanations -- or any explanation. 
    ... Deal with it.  Or, buy an Android...  But go away with your conspiracy theories...
    LOL..  I AM using an iPhone 6 (Plus) and have been since I bought it on the first day of its availability.

It's a little slow.  But nothing that I would not expect from any electronic product that was entering obsolescence.    

If you're having so much trouble, either breakdown and spend the $29.  Or buy a Samsung and hope it does't explode.   But quit you're whining...
    I am happy for you that your IPhone 6 Plus is working fine. It depends on the battery usage and extreme temperature fluctuations really. But this is not about the people who were NOT affected, it’s about the people who WERE affected. And it’s not about the $29 battery either, it’s about the unexpected performance slowdown for IPhone 6 and all other Iphones following it. $29 battery solution is only going to be available for ten months. What happens after that when the current latest Iphones start slowing down too ??
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Rayz2016 said:
    jdw said:

Seriously. 

And of course now that Tim Cook announced just this feature (http://appleinsider.com/articles/18/01/17/iphone-owners-will-be-able-to-disable-cpu-throttling-in-future-ios-version-cook-says) you will write to Apple and tell them they are wrong ?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 99 of 101
    jume said:
    cropr said:
    lkrupp said:
    So, Apple can just send them a copy of their explanation and reasoning that was published weeks ago. What else are they supposed to provide? The crux of all these ‘investigations’ is to try and brand Apple with malicious, intentional planned obsolescence. How do they plan to prove that? Experts have already stated Apple’s solution is acceptable and only criticized Apple for not being more transparent about it. As for those asshats claiming they have the right to choose whether their phones just randomly shut down or whether to slow things down to prevent said shutdowns, what kind of “choice” is that? That kind of “choice” is stupid, just like the asshats who want to be able to install whatever kind of crap they want to and use it to justify jailbreaking.
    There is a big difference between not being more transparent like you claim and what Apple actually did:  hiding the throttling from the customer until some clever guy came with the prove.  The former is a small communication issue, the latter could be interpreted as intentional. 

Every customer with a a slow iPhone  who bought a new iPhone but who was not given the option to replace the battery, was mislead by Apple.   The fact that a lot of Apple Stores guided these customers to buy a new iPhone did not help to contradict the possible intentional character.

Sorry to ruin your conspiracy theory.   But, Apple manages every facet of their products even after the sale in order to insure the best customer experience with them.   And, it quite obviously works.  At the same time, Apple keeps it simple by simply producing and managing products that "just work" without long winded explanations -- or any explanation. 
    ... Deal with it.  Or, buy an Android...  But go away with your conspiracy theories...
    LOL..  I AM using an iPhone 6 (Plus) and have been since I bought it on the first day of its availability.

It's a little slow.  But nothing that I would not expect from any electronic product that was entering obsolescence.    

If you're having so much trouble, either breakdown and spend the $29.  Or buy a Samsung and hope it does't explode.   But quit you're whining...
    I am happy for you that your IPhone 6 Plus is working fine. It depends on the battery usage and extreme temperature fluctuations really. But this is not about the people who were NOT affected, it’s about the people who WERE affected. And it’s not about the $29 battery either, it’s about the unexpected performance slowdown for IPhone 6 and all other Iphones following it. $29 battery solution is only going to be available for ten months. What happens after that when the current latest Iphones start slowing down too ??
    "What happens after that when the current latest Iphones start slowing down too ??"

You are either (continuing to) spout a conspiracy theory.  Or, you are complaining about the normal slow down of older equipment while running newer, more demanding software.

Neither argument has any substance...
  • Reply 100 of 101
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    jume said:
    cropr said:
    lkrupp said:

"What happens after that when the current latest Iphones start slowing down too ??"

You are either (continuing to) spout a conspiracy theory.  Or, you are complaining about the normal slow down of older equipment while running newer, more demanding software.

Neither argument has any substance...
    Of course it has substance. Saying it doesn't make it so. Speaking of conspiracy theory, Apple should have expected this will feed into conspiracy theories and preempted it. Really boneheaded, or arrogant of them to not see this becoming a problem. Let alone addressing the root cause of why those unexpected shutdowns happened all of a sudden (pun intended), and not see a design problem between the CPU and the battery after the battery degrades. It is clear Apple tried to fix via software a basic design problem (CPU power draw vs. battery degradation over time).