BMW to charge drivers $80 per year for CarPlay access in 2019

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    So they're selling this on an ability to save money if you only have the car for a 3/4 year lease - or if you switch to Android? Why is it then that Audi and Merc offer CarPlay and Android effort in the same add-on which you can use just by plugging in the respective phone, for a lot less money. I wasn't even charged for it in my car - it was part of the media system anyway. Money grab..
  • Reply 42 of 73
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    GG1 said:
    The only way I can justify this in my mind is if there are other software updates at the same time (BMW's navigation maps, iDrive, etc.). I believe BMW charge for navigation maps updates. Of course, with CarPlay, the iPhone has the latest maps already, so that cuts off one recurring revenue stream. Perhaps this $80 yearly charge may be the response to that lost revenue.

This is my theory as well. I never updated the maps in my 2011 328i (even though they didn't have CarPlay back then), simply because I didn't feel like paying $300 for something that happens seamlessly and for free on all our smartphones. 

The other thing I haven't seen pointed out yet is that BMW makes you (at least through the '17 models and some '18 models I looked at) get the NAV package if you're going to opt for CarPlay. 

Now, if they do away with the NAV system requirement, and only charge the $80 per year for CarPlay, this would be way better than being forced to cough up the $1,700. This, I suspect, is little more than wishful thinking.
    JWSC
  • Reply 43 of 73
    When it comes to competition and allowing Carplay / Android - as finally Toyota gets it... All i got for BMW is:

edited January 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 44 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I have a 2016 Ford F-150 with the Sync 3 system. An automatic software update added CarPlay and Android Auto at no charge BUT I had to have the USB module replaced in order for CarPlay to work. Since the vehicle is under factory warranty I had Ford replace the module to the tune of $250. You can buy the part online for $65 and replace it yourself but that probably voids the warranty so I bit the bullet. 
  • Reply 45 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Make all the derogatory remarks you want to about BMW but the rest of the industry will follow suit if BMW doesn’t get much blowback on this.
    JWSC
  • Reply 46 of 73
    As a 3x repetitive BMW owner, this is a bad move.  If we pay for the iPhone connectivity hardware ($300 extra today) for the dongle, then unless there is something to justify the subscription, then this is unjustified?  Today, the car is carrying hardware it cannot use like Sirius radio where the hardware failed and roadside assistance with cellular service not worth the $450 per year so don't use.  If we're having to pay to use personally owned phones with BMW cars, it is certainly time to look at other car manufacturers.

-RJ
    JWSC
  • Reply 47 of 73
    Not trying to defend BMW here, but here's a possible scenario.
    • Present Model - Customer continually leases BMW after BMW, each time paying the $300 for CarPlay capability. After leasing two cars, his cost was $600.
    • Subscription Model - After leasing two BMWs, cost to customer was $320 (1st year of each lease included + 4 years).
    • Don't get a BMW - After leasing two cars with CarPlay/Android Auto standard, cost to customer = $0.

• Reply 48 of 73
    evilution said:
    When did Adobe buy BMW?
    This will be hacked in no time because people won’t put up with it.
    Adobe provides value for their subscription. It is well worth it.

BMW provides no value for their subscription. It is pure greed.
    netmage
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Or we can just go on BMW's Facebook page and tell them how we really feel ;)
    JWSC
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Wow - so much knee jerk reactions to what, at most, amounts to maybe a couple hundred dollars.... on a new car that ASP is upwards of $50k (USA).

I’m not suggesting this is a wise business move by BMW.  I want nothing to do with subscription services.  But seriously, if you’ve driven a Bimmer and appreciate the experience enough and have the means to purchase one, are you seriously going to let this niggling  paltry extra dollar amount sway you? 

If so, I’d suggest this was never the car for you in the first place. 

Full disclosure - I’ve owned 7 BMWs since 1993 and not a one has had CarPlay. Not one of them was ever purchased for such a “luxury” add-on and I’ve never once felt that was the ONE thing that would ever keep me from buying another Bimmer.  Either you appreciate the driving experience or you don’t.

And yes, if you prefer Audi, Benz, Porsche,  Bugatti or some other high end import, then you know what I’m saying. Are you 911 loyalists gonna stop buying them because of some unnecessary luxury feature you really don’t need costing maybe a couple hundred dollars more?  Exactly, didn’t think so.
    edited January 2018 JWSC
  • Reply 51 of 73
    Wow - so much knee jerk reactions to what, at most, amounts to maybe a couple hundred dollars.... on a new car that ASP is upwards of $50k (USA)...

It's the principle of the thing.  ;)
    netmage
  • Reply 52 of 73
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    The German cars while well-built and fun to drive are known for issues and as a another poster says they are good for their warranty. My question is why can't they match the reliability of Ford, Toyota and Honda considering these vehicles are substantially cheaper. Paying for upgrades to CarPlay is a non-starter.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Don’t agree with this, but BMW is free to do what they want. It just allows other companies to take the high road and not nickel and dime their customers to try and steal business away. BMWs really aren’t made all that well anyway. Had one for a while and it was in the shop a lot. Have a Mercedes right now and the only thing it has been in the shop for is an oil change. 
  • Reply 54 of 73
    As an owner of the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, I know that Pioneer needs to update the firmware of the receiver when Apple does iOS updates sometimes. Still, it is ridiculous that BMW is charging an annual fee.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Just got a new Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (awesome by the way, it's like a super-computer on wheels) and it has CarPlay and Android Auto built-in at no charge.... well I mean, you can charge it too since it's a PHEV ;)

I think there is a time and place for software subscriptions (I'm working to convert my app over to one soon) but there are a lot of issues with it too.  But when you're buying a vehicle for tens of thousands of dollars, something simple like software should be included.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Wow - so much knee jerk reactions to what, at most, amounts to maybe a couple hundred dollars.... on a new car that ASP is upwards of $50k (USA).

I’m not suggesting this is a wise business move by BMW.  I want nothing to do with subscription services.  But seriously, if you’ve driven a Bimmer and appreciate the experience enough and have the means to purchase one, are you seriously going to let this niggling  paltry extra dollar amount sway you? 
    It is a lesson in poor marketing. It's not that bmw buyers can't afford it, but it will make them feel like fools. If the sum is paltry why make it a separate item and piss people off? Instead bmw should figure out a way to give its customers exactly what they say this subscription will give them for nothing and then market the hell out of that. If it really is anything. If not - then it's even worse. 
  • Reply 57 of 73
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    This is absurd. Call me harsh, but this kind of move is enough to push me over the fence to Audi.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    evilution said:
    When did Adobe buy BMW?
    This will be hacked in no time because people won’t put up with it.
    Adobe provides value for their subscription. It is well worth it.

BMW provides no value for their subscription. It is pure greed.
    As a casual/hobby user of Adobe products, their subscription model is not worth it for me. If my livelihood depended on Adobe products, I could justify their subscription model. I don't, so I don't use Adobe anymore (except standalone Acrobat).

I hope BMW (and the car industry) don't move to a subscription model for every little feature.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I always thought it was funny (weird?) how premium/luxury brands will not include basic luxury items such as heated seats/heated steering wheel, and things like Apple CarPlay/Android Auto when I can buy a $25,000 vehicle that has those things standard, or bundled with a package for a cheaper price that includes lots of other options. I guess you just sometimes pay more because of the name and have to settle for less. 

If I pay $50,000 for a BMW it damn well better just come with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. Stop nickel and dimeing me! For this reason alone I would never purchase one even though I do like their vehicles. I'm especially not going to rent a service for a vehicle when I can get a vehicle for $30,000 less that has it standard and is always free. 
  • Reply 60 of 73
    I wish Apple would build their own head unit.