Sonos fires back at Apple's HomePod by offering a pair of One speakers for $349

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2018
Responding to the imminent sale of the HomePod, Sonos has cut the price of the Sonos One, selling a two-pack of the speaker for $349 -- the same price as one HomePod.

Individually, the Sonos One sells for $199. The limited time deal for a pair of them cuts the bundle price by $50, giving users an alternative to the HomePod for the same price.

Sonos has already said that the Sonos One will get AirPlay 2 compatibility at some point in 2018 -- but like all the other manufacturers, there is no clear date. Apple has yet to roll out full AirPlay 2 functionality, with it appearing in the iOS 11.2.5 beta as a selectable option for rudimentary testing, and more completely in Wednesday's iOS 11.3 beta in conjunction with tvOS 11.3 devices as streaming targets.

The Sonos One is a a single-channel speaker, which can be paired with a second unit for stereo sound. At present, the device supports Amazon Alexa, with Google Assistant coming soon, and Siri support being added with the aforementioned AirPlay 2 update later in the year.

In AppleInsider's review of the Sonos One, we found it to fill a space with "extremely pleasing sound -- in some ways surpassing a mid-range, 2.1-channel Logitech setup."

An hour-long hands-on session published on Thursday found the sound quality in the HomePod to be generally superior to that in the Sonos One.

The offering starts Friday -- the same day HomePod preorders begin -- in the U.S. and U.K. when purchased direct from Sonos. U.S. pricing is $349 for the pair, with U.K. pricing coming in at 349 pounds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    They're not worried are they?
    zroger73andrewj5790jbdragonmrboba1watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 2 of 77
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    somebody’s worried about being fitbitted...

the Sonos One is a single-channel speaker. funny nobody had panic attacks about it being mono...yet now people are upset at the multi-channel HP and its seven drivers!
    edited January 2018 zroger73Rayz2016mike1anton zuykovandrewj5790GG1watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 3 of 77
    Certainly looks like Sonos isn't being as dismissive as some of the pundits. 
    mike1anton zuykovandrewj5790Soliwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 4 of 77
    It’d be funnier if Amazon price matched the Echo by offering it for $349 too. The fact that they wouldn’t be able to sell any at that price would prove Apple’s strategy. Make it about Alexa and nobody will pay a premium. Make it about music and sound quality, and people will pay for it.
    StrangeDaysandrewj5790jbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 5 of 77
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Sonos is in full out panic!
    zroger73SpamSandwichjbdragonwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 6 of 77
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I've frequently seen Sonos 1 selling for $175 when on sale, so not really any different than historical discounts. Now if Apple would sell a pair of HomePod speakers for $600 that would be a killer deal :) Disappointed that HomePod is tied to Apple Music bc the streaming quality is noticeably worse than Tidal. Wish it supported other services.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    I have two Sonos middle-sized speakers. They sound okay, not great. But the software vis-à-vis Apple is awful, buggy, and incomprehensible. Plus, you have to manually tune them every time they are moved by walking around the space waving your iPhone like an idiot. And don’t try tuning them for outdoors (patio), it doesn’t work. Buying a HomePod tomorrow morning and putting my Sonoses on Craigslist. 
    edited January 2018 watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 8 of 77
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member

the Sonos One is a single-channel speaker. funny nobody had panic attacks about it being mono...yet now people are upset at the multi-channel HP and its seven drivers!
    Sonos has nothing to worry about. Apple doesn’t offer a range of speakers like Sonos.  Everyone is comparing the entry level Sonos offerings to HomePod, but Sonos offers far better speakers than the Sonos One or Play:1. I guarantee the HomePod doesn’t come close to a Play:5, much less two Play:5 speakers linked together, a feature Apple promised and delayed.

Of course none of these speakers will satisfy a true “audiophile” (I’m not talking about the sudden crop of overnight “audiophiles” eagerly awaiting HomePod as if no other good speaker exists). Thankfully Sonos has true audiophiles covered with the Connect and Connect:Amp options. One connects to your existing home stereo systems to play music through legitimate high end speakers. The other provides an amp so no home stereo system is necessary.

Apple can’t compete with Sonos. They simply don’t offer what Sonos does, no matter how good HomePod sounds.  Discounting and bundling the Sonos One is a smart move. It steals a bit of Apple’s thunder (not that there’s much thunder around HomePod’s delayed and feature incomplete release), plus highlights just how weak Apple’s offering is compared to Sonos.

Let’s see, I can get one speaker with a half-baked voice assistant that supports a single music service...or two speakers that can link to create true stereo output, that work with numerous music services (including the only one supported by HomePod), and allow me to use a variety of voice assistants.  Seems like a no brainer to me. 
    revenantkudularrya[Deleted User]
  • Reply 9 of 77
    The Sonos Play 1 sells for $150 now at Best Buy, Sonos, and Amazon.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    robbyx said:

Sonos has nothing to worry about. Apple doesn’t offer a range of speakers like Sonos.  Everyone is comparing the entry level Sonos offerings to HomePod, but Sonos offers far better speakers than the Sonos One or Play:1. I guarantee the HomePod doesn’t come close to a Play:5, much less two Play:5 speakers linked together, a feature Apple promised and delayed.

Of course none of these speakers will satisfy a true “audiophile” (I’m not talking about the sudden crop of overnight “audiophiles” eagerly awaiting HomePod as if no other good speaker exists). Thankfully Sonos has true audiophiles covered with the Connect and Connect:Amp options. One connects to your existing home stereo systems to play music through legitimate high end speakers. The other provides an amp so no home stereo system is necessary.

Apple can’t compete with Sonos. They simply don’t offer what Sonos does, no matter how good HomePod sounds.  Discounting and bundling the Sonos One is a smart move. It steals a bit of Apple’s thunder (not that there’s much thunder around HomePod’s delayed and feature incomplete release), plus highlights just how weak Apple’s offering is compared to Sonos.

Let’s see, I can get one speaker with a half-baked voice assistant that supports a single music service...or two speakers that can link to create true stereo output, that work with numerous music services (including the only one supported by HomePod), and allow me to use a variety of voice assistants.  Seems like a no brainer to me. 
    "Apple can’t compete with Sonos."

Hah! Famous last words. Just ask Blackberry and Amazon how well the phone biz is working out for them now. What was the market share of every MP3 player compared to the iPod?

It's good that Sonos appears to not share your opinion. They do have a lot to worry about. The industry's best-run and most successful HARDWARE company just decided to play in their sandbox. So, this is probably a smart defensive move to keep their dealers happy for a few more minutes.

As they've done before, I'd bet Apple opens up HomePod to 3rd parties gradually. I believe you'll see more music and other services offered soon. Maybe even announced at WWDC this year.

That said, I believe Sonos doesn't think this is a "no-brainer" and may or may not survive or grow by going in directions that Apple is not. Can their "better" stuff support the business with decreased sales of their entry-level product? I don't know, but it looks like they may find out.

StrangeDaysMacPromrboba1indyfxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 77
    It makes total sense! I always buy two shitty products at the price of one good product! How could I possibly go wrong?
    /s
    tmayStrangeDaysMacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 77
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I have two Sonos middle-sized speakers. They sound okay, not great. But the software vis-à-vis Apple is awful, buggy, and incomprehensible. Plus, you have to manually tune them every time they are moved by walking around the space waving your iPhone like an idiot. And don’t try tuning them for outdoors (patio), it doesn’t work. Buying a HomePod tomorrow morning and putting my Sonoses on Craigslist. 
    I have had Sonos speakers since 2009. I am sorry you find the Sonos software buggy. I have never experienced this and find it alway works well. I am not sure how you can compare Sonos software to Apple’s as Apple have not yet released a multi room speaker system like Sonos. The ability to tune the speakers with the help of your iPhone is an optional added feature for improved sound. You don’t have to use it and the speakers will still work fine. 
    anantksundaram[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 77
    schlack said:
    I've frequently seen Sonos 1 selling for $175 when on sale, so not really any different than historical discounts. Now if Apple would sell a pair of HomePod speakers for $600 that would be a killer deal :) Disappointed that HomePod is tied to Apple Music bc the streaming quality is noticeably worse than Tidal. Wish it supported other services.
    It sort of does, on par with other BT or wifi speakers anyway - as an AirPlay endpoint you can beam any iOS audio to it. 
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 77
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    robbyx said:

The Watch Industry would disagree with you. They thought that they didn't need to worry either.
    anton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 77
    Why does everything have to be about paying a premium? What evidence is there that the mass market really cares about sound quality?

Of course Sonos knows the HomePod is aimed squarely at them. A move like this makes sense to maybe nab iOS customers who aren’t all in on Apple Music. 
  • Reply 16 of 77

robbyx said:

I don’t use Sonos personally other than a couple friends houses. But they can’t speak to their Sonos speakers, they have to use a Sonos app to control everything. So how does that count as a ding against Apple’s “half baked” voice assistant? It doesn’t. Using an ipad or iphone or appleTV I can playback music from any service and output to the HPs, so again how is the experience different than using a Sonos app for playback?

If the HP has great sound then it’s a fine shelf speaker, even if the channel separation is different than physical stereo. Unless I’m sitting in the middle of the shelves, which I’m not, I don’t know why physical stereo is a decided advantage to two crappier Sonos One drivers. I’d rather have one, better-sounding device with multi channel separation. 
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 77
    mike1 said:
    robbyx said:

Hah! Famous last words. Just ask Blackberry and Amazon how well the phone biz is working out for them now. What was the market share of every MP3 player compared to the iPod?

It's good that Sonos appears to not share your opinion. They do have a lot to worry about. The industry's best-run and most successful HARDWARE company just decided to play in their sandbox. So, this is probably a smart defensive move to keep their dealers happy for a few more minutes.

As they've done before, I'd bet Apple opens up HomePod to 3rd parties gradually. I believe you'll see more music and other services offered soon. Maybe even announced at WWDC this year.

That said, I believe Sonos doesn't think this is a "no-brainer" and may or may not survive or grow by going in directions that Apple is not. Can their "better" stuff support the business with decreased sales of their entry-level product? I don't know, but it looks like they may find out.

Hate to break it to you, but Apple already tried to play in the high end speaker sandbox and we all know how well the iPod HiFi sold.  Don’t be so cocky. Everything Apple touches isn’t a guaranteed success and HomePod offers no stand out features.

And no, Apple can’t compete with Sonos.  I’m not saying that HomePod is a bad product. I’m sure it sounds great. But it’s one product. Sonos offers a range of products from simple Wi-Fi speakers like HomePod to soundbars and subs for home theater setups to speakerless boxes that either connect to an existing home stereo or drive TRUE high end speakers of the consumer’s choice. Apple offers none of this. So no, they can’t compete with Sonos. 
    revenant[Deleted User]
  • Reply 18 of 77
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Any reasonable businessperson takes Apple (and all juggernaut companies) seriously when they enter a market. Many will claim they aren't worried or completely discount it with a fake laugh while silently cringing inside (see Steve Ballmer on iPhone), but they know that you don't ignore such a competitor—especially one that could very well have disruptive technology, as Apple is wont to do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 77
    tmay said:
    robbyx said:

The Watch Industry would disagree with you. They thought that they didn't need to worry either.
    I don’t think you can compare the two. Apple did build a better watch. But HomePod doesn’t offer anything truly better than other products.  And it’s limited in what services it supports. Plus it’s not a solution for home theater or people who want to buy true high end speakers for the home. Maybe one day Apple will offer a range of home audio products like Sonos does, but until then HomePod is just another Wi-Fi speaker. 
    revenant
  • Reply 20 of 77
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    robbyx said:
    mike1 said:
    robbyx said:

Hate to break it to you, but Apple already tried to play in the high end speaker sandbox and we all know how well the iPod HiFi sold.  Don’t be so cocky. Everything Apple touches isn’t a guaranteed success and HomePod offers no stand out features.

And no, Apple can’t compete with Sonos.  I’m not saying that HomePod is a bad product. I’m sure it sounds great. But it’s one product. Sonos offers a range of products from simple Wi-Fi speakers like HomePod to soundbars and subs for home theater setups to speakerless boxes that either connect to an existing home stereo or drive TRUE high end speakers of the consumer’s choice. Apple offers none of this. So no, they can’t compete with Sonos. 
    Sonos is a billion a year, more or less in sales. 

That's 3 million HomePod sales a year, more or less.

Data tells me that, in fact Apple might be able to not only compete, but become the leader in revenue.

But, yeah, unit sales, in which Amazon exceeds Sonos. 
    edited January 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobra