Apple HomePod vs. Google Home Max: Which high-end smart speaker is right for you?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Here's one difference: I don't trust Google when it comes to privacy.
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMacracerhomie3
  • Reply 22 of 36

A great, unbiased article. Well done AI. Please keep it up.

racerhomie3
  • Reply 23 of 36
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    While not the purpose of the article, AI continues to bill this speaker as "audiophile" quality sound.

I don't need to listen to it to know that a single sub-bookshelf sized speaker is not going to be competitive with the typical 5.1 surround sound put out by a high end "audiophile" system.  I get the feeling that they are conflating technological advances with physical sound.

While I have no doubt the HomePod has great sound for a single, small speaker, I also have no doubt that the sound isn't in the same ball park as a true "audiophile" system.   I think AI does a disservice to the HomePod by misrepresenting it this way.
    larrya
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    While not the purpose of the article, AI continues to bill this speaker as "audiophile" quality sound.

I don't need to listen to it to know that a single sub-bookshelf sized speaker is not going to be competitive with the typical 5.1 surround sound put out by a high end "audiophile" system.  I get the feeling that they are conflating technological advances with physical sound.

While I have no doubt the HomePod has great sound for a single, small speaker, I also have no doubt that the sound isn't in the same ball park as a true "audiophile" system.   I think AI does a disservice to the HomePod by misrepresenting it this way.
    I never called it an audiophile system. The term was used to refer to the communities speaking about it.

I can't speak to other articles, though, obviously.
  • Reply 25 of 36

Great article, lacking hyperbole, which is nice sometimes.

Are you going to reprise this when the HomePod actually comes out and compare them side by side?  I don't expect an audio spectrum comparison, by any means, but a few different people, including actual audiophiles, blind listening to both, and maybe others, would be an interesting read.

• Reply 26 of 36
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    mavemufc said:
    If I was choosing one it would obviously be the HomePod, just like probably everyone on this website, but still not sure I need one yet.
    I won't.  I have a mixed family: only my daughter and I are having an iPhone.  My wife and my sons have Android phones.  As the Homepad is just an expensive piece of furniture for an Android phone, it is not an option for my family.   So if I would considering buying an intelligent speaker (I am currently not), it will be one that has support for both iOS and Android.
    saltyzip
  • Reply 27 of 36
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    fallenjt said:
    Some testers on YouTube confirmed that Sonos Play:3 or even 2 Sonos One blew the HomeMax out of water. HomeMax got sound distortion at high volume.
    This is common to most speakers. You should set your iphone on no more Than 75% of volume and let the speaker do the amplification. Otherwise you are amplifying a signal which is already distorted. 
    gatorguyavon b7
  • Reply 28 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Great article, lacking hyperbole, which is nice sometimes.

Are you going to reprise this when the HomePod actually comes out and compare them side by side?  I don't expect an audio spectrum comparison, by any means, but a few different people, including actual audiophiles, blind listening to both, and maybe others, would be an interesting read.

Personally I have no doubt the HomePod will sound "better" than the Home Max to most folks. it will also sell far better. Apple has a lot of first adopter fans, far more than Google and for good reasons.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 29 of 36
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    One advantage of the Google product (if you can get past privacy concerns) is that it could be used with your TV (which seems to be a huge point of confusion when people talk about the HomePod) as it has actual inputs. I'm not sure why people want to do that... as that isn't the intention of the products, but it seems to be one of the most common questions I'm hearing.

GeorgeBMac said:
    I'm a bit out of the loop on 'audiophile' these days, but would a self-respecting audiophile do a 5.1 in the first place? :)
    And, that would be a completely different market, as anything reasonable is going to be more in car-price range.

I think when people talk about 'audiophile' what they mean is much better sound than the typical consumer crap.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    For me, Echo Dot wins (for now) based on its ability to work with multiple services such as Spotify, its open API, availability of apps and integrations, ability to Bluetooth pair to speakers (output) or a phone/tablet (input), make phone calls or send texts to anyone, ability to act as an intercom, support for multi-room audio across the whole Echo family, and the LINE OUT jack, which lets users choose whatever great sounding speaker they want, even stereo speakers with a subwoofer. Also, it's >$300 cheaper.

But it's early yet, and I'm sure Apple will "innovate" these features over time. What I love about Apple is the encrypted anonymous hops to their server. Something Amazon and Google will never do. It'll be interesting to see if Essential ever brings their home to market. They're also privacy-first.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    hoodslide said:
    For me, Echo Dot wins (for now) based on its ability to work with multiple services such as Spotify, its open API, availability of apps and integrations, ability to Bluetooth pair to speakers (output) or a phone/tablet (input), make phone calls or send texts to anyone, ability to act as an intercom, support for multi-room audio across the whole Echo family, and the LINE OUT jack, which lets users choose whatever great sounding speaker they want, even stereo speakers with a subwoofer. Also, it's >$300 cheaper.

But it's early yet, and I'm sure Apple will "innovate" these features over time. What I love about Apple is the encrypted anonymous hops to their server. Something Amazon and Google will never do. It'll be interesting to see if Essential ever brings their home to market. They're also privacy-first.
    Both Amazon and Google encrypt the "server hops", but TBH I prefer that my requests NOT be anonymous as it helps get me better/more accurate results. Any time you want to see what Google "heard" it's easy enough to do, and I believe it was Soli here that said the same about the Echo. It's all very transparent, reviewable from any browser. The fact that Google might anonymize "my" account and bundle it with 100's or 1000's of other anonymized users for an advertising profile is a small price IMHO. Besides, I don't see the ads anyway. 

With Apple and Siri I think the random numbers assigned to your stored voice recordings can still be linked back to your personal account if required to comply with a legal request, for a period of six months. After that the identifier number is de-linked and the recordings maintained for an additional 18 months to assist Apple with improving Siri.  But there is no way for you the user to review what Siri "heard" via your device's microphone unlike Amazon and Google. So there's plus and minus with both ways of doing things. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Generally, the impressions are good. The device is noted for its sound quality, with a punchy bass. It has been criticized for still needing audio settings adjustment after being moved, despite claims of it having a "smart sound" feature for audio adjustment depending on positioning.

CNet used the Home Max sitting on a table out in the open. While many of the newer "smart-speakers"  including those from Bose and LG claim 360-sound Google's Home Max assumes most people will not have anywhere in the middle of a room with room for it AND with a power source or therefor they'll end up against a wall anyway where 360 sound is less appreciated. The Bose is portable and water-resistant so that one's an outlier, useful for poolside or out on the deck.

Google's Smart Sound utilizes rear-mounted microphones to "hear" the sound bouncing off the back-wall and adjusts the signature accordingly over a 30-second span. That could perhaps be one contributing reason why some reviewers say it sounds great (it's on a shelf or table near the wall, typical use-case) while some others claim muddiness (placed out in the middle of a room away from the wall where it wasn't designed to be)
  • Reply 33 of 36
    gatorguy said:
    That could perhaps be one contributing reason why some reviewers say it sounds great (it's on a shelf or table near the wall, typical use-case) while some others claim muddiness (placed out in the middle of a room away from the wall where it wasn't designed to be)
    That's a good point. I love how store or photo setups of equipment are often quite unrealistic (no cords, no taking power into account, etc.). *Most* people are going to have to have this thing on an end-table or such that will likely be somewhat near a wall. Most of us don't have power outlets mid-room or run cords under carpets or stuff like that.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Best thing about Google home is you can register multiple Google accounts that are identified by voice. Misses always forgetting where she left her phone, so she asks Google Home to find it for her by ringing it at full volume.

We quite like playing the quiz on it too and pairing devices under a hot word of your choice makes it easy to fill the house with music.
    I see Google Assistant lets you set songs as alarms and look up TV schedules now, will have to give that a try on the Google Home too.

edited February 2018
  • Reply 35 of 36
    saltyzip said:
    Best thing about Google home is you can register multiple Google accounts that are identified by voice. Misses always forgetting where she left her phone, so she asks Google Home to find it for her by ringing it at full volume.

We quite like playing the quiz on it too and pairing devices under a hot word of your choice makes it easy to fill the house with music.
    I see Google Assistant lets you set songs as alarms and look up TV schedules now, will have to give that a try on the Google Home too.

Yea, Google is just lightyears ahead of Apple on this stuff. Unfortunately, they are also lightyears ahead on all the evil downsides as well... and not afraid to use them. What's their motto again, something like, 'Be evil'?
  • Reply 36 of 36
    cropr said:
    mavemufc said:
    If I was choosing one it would obviously be the HomePod, just like probably everyone on this website, but still not sure I need one yet.
    I won't.  I have a mixed family: only my daughter and I are having an iPhone.  My wife and my sons have Android phones.  As the Homepad is just an expensive piece of furniture for an Android phone, it is not an option for my family.   So if I would considering buying an intelligent speaker (I am currently not), it will be one that has support for both iOS and Android.
    Didn't seem to mention that the Google Home Speakers also use Bluetooth 4.2. So Apple users CAN stream their Apple music and services through the Google Home Ecosystem. Interesting as I have been using an iPhone SE and playing Apple Music and answering my calls through the Google Home Mini. Those microphones in the speakers really help. Looking forward for the MAX.