HomePod doesn't have manual EQ options, will auto-adjust based on analytics says Apple's E...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    danvm said:
    I even read a review that mentions it may be similar to a Sonos Play:5, which I love, but still behind to many other high end options.  
    Holy Crap! What a revelation! 

'...still behind to [sic] many other high end options'. You mean just like the Sonos Play:5?

Everybody is through around their own definitions of 'high-end', 'excellent', and 'audiophile', it seems, wanting to through oranges in to the Apple sauce.

'I even read...'. Talk about unequivocal peer review! News flash: the HomePod is not meant to compete with B&Ws, Martin-Logans, Bozak CGs, Focals, or whatever names fauxiophiles want to drop. I do expect the HP will hold its own with most if not all the Sono line in terms of musicality. 

The embargo on advance HPs has been lifted and we're starting to see very favorable reviews. I look forward to any honest object review whether positive or negative (ok the last not so much but honest is honest). I'll pass on the 'Will it blend' crap and not bother with any goof who wears his ballcap backwards and shouts.

williamlondon
  • Reply 42 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    clexman said:
    Like a compressor? They have been around for ~80 years.
    Yes, audio compression and gear (dbx and such) have been around forever. But in a TV? Designed to reduce the volume, not compress it?

First of all, audio can only be compress so much and still have a semblance of the dynamic range first engineered/mixed into it. Second, commercials are very much already compressed compared to the program audio. They're engineered for maximum allowed volume with little dynamic range to sound louder without exceeding imposed limits. Additional compression does no service to the viewer.

Such a device would face the ire of vendors, similar to DVRs that auto advanced over commercials. But as a separate box, they'd have little say. 

I LOVE wide dynamic range. It's what gives life to the music I like. Yes, it's tough on movie soundtracks and even TV shows.

I'd like to see an alternate Night Mode audio track included, mixed with less dynamic range for appropriate listening, without leaving the compression left to guesswork on the part of the viewer. Currently, I feel TV shows' audio is mixed poorly with exaggerated emphasis given to squealing tires and gunshots, and humans shouting. It reminds me of theaters that don't know how to implement THX properly or make the audio overly boomy and/or bright.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:
    skinzy said:
    jdgaz said:
    " ....have given the HomePod good grades for audio quality, but sharply criticized Siri as weak next to the AI assistants in...." Honestly when I want a speaker the first thing I gauge is sound quality. So, in my book Apple focused on the most important thing a speaker can do, that his deliver sound. Siri will come along and be just fine. And it will lily not invade my privacy or deliver purchases to my door that I didn't really want.
    This is correct!  I’m an audiophile and can’t wait to get mine on Friday.  Don’t know if mass market feels the same way?  For a lot of folks music is just background noise.  For me it’s life’s blood.
    The HomePod is NOT for the mass market. People don’t get it and continue to compare it to the $50 Echo. Why that is I don't know.
    It's absolutely a mass market product. How the hell can you claim this will not be made or sold in mass quantities. Sonos products are mass market and I bet this will trounce their unit sales right away.

Agree with the "why is it being compared to a $50 Echo?" part of this.  I can't wait to get mine on Friday!!  Might pick up a 2nd one too.

• Reply 44 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Just a general comment for anyone getting their HomePod in the next couple of days: Make sure to place it only on hard surfaces. Otherwise it will sound like crap and you might not understand why.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    gatorguy said:
    Just a general comment for anyone getting their HomePod in the next couple of days: Make sure to place it only on hard surfaces. Otherwise it will sound like crap and you might not understand why.
    I'm not disagreeing or being pedantic, but I'm genuinely curious where one might place a HomePod that is not a hard surface? I can't think of a spot in my house in which I could place a HomePod that would be characterized as a "soft" surface.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    I'm not disagreeing or being pedantic, but I'm genuinely curious where one might place a HomePod that is not a hard surface? I can't think of a spot in my house in which I could place a HomePod that would be characterized as a "soft" surface.
    For example an upholstered piece is one that comes to mind. Completely agree that it wouldn't commonly happen. 
  • Reply 47 of 48
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    macgui said:
    danvm said:
    I even read a review that mentions it may be similar to a Sonos Play:5, which I love, but still behind to many other high end options.  
    Holy Crap! What a revelation! 

'...still behind to [sic] many other high end options'. You mean just like the Sonos Play:5?

Everybody is through around their own definitions of 'high-end', 'excellent', and 'audiophile', it seems, wanting to through oranges in to the Apple sauce.

'I even read...'. Talk about unequivocal peer review! News flash: the HomePod is not meant to compete with B&Ws, Martin-Logans, Bozak CGs, Focals, or whatever names fauxiophiles want to drop. I do expect the HP will hold its own with most if not all the Sono line in terms of musicality. 

The embargo on advance HPs has been lifted and we're starting to see very favorable reviews. I look forward to any honest object review whether positive or negative (ok the last not so much but honest is honest). I'll pass on the 'Will it blend' crap and not bother with any goof who wears his ballcap backwards and shouts.
    I don't consider the Sonos Play:5 a high end speaker, but still sound very good for it's size.  Second, as you said, everyone has his/her own definition of sound quality.  But the post I replied mention he was an audiophile, and most of the time their standard are very high, since many of them experience a lot sound systems.  I don't think some who really is used to high end systems will be excited for the HomePod playing 256kbps songs. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 48 of 48
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    dewme said:
    jdgaz said:
    " ....have given the HomePod good grades for audio quality, but sharply criticized Siri as weak next to the AI assistants in...." Honestly when I want a speaker the first thing I gauge is sound quality. So, in my book Apple focused on the most important thing a speaker can do, that his deliver sound. Siri will come along and be just fine. And it will lily not invade my privacy or deliver purchases to my door that I didn't really want.
    Yeah, the parroted whining about Siri is getting stale, but it's one of the ways Apple detractors can make themselves feel better about criticizing a speaker from Apple that blows away the competition on the most important reason people buy speakers. It would be the same as auto reviewers downgrading the latest Corvette Z06 because they don't like the cupholders or navigation controls. 

Siri is the reason the HomePod is considered a smart speaker, so it makes sense when reviews criticize it, specially when it's compared to Alexa or Google Assistant.  It's like downgrading the Z06 because it has a weak transmission, even though it has an excellent engine (even though there were many issues with engines overheating.  But that's another story...). 
    williamlondon